PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a dungeon of paranoid kobolds - is it any good?

HoboKnight
2022-11-15, 01:19 AM
Hey guys,

I'm making a custom dungeon for my party and I'd love your critique of it.

Here is the background/history description:

I'm making a dungeon, a dragon lair near a top of a mountain with a kobold residence. Since the history of its inhabitants is important, I'll also lay this out here. Setting is Feywild.

The Dragon:

Time dragon was hatched to a half crazed mother and was soon stolen by an evil mummers troupe. Was tortured dancing bear style to be obedient, also his wings were amputated. During this time, a small slave girl and a slave boy were only ones kind to him. Eventually, he was sold to a mercenary group to be used as a shock troop. After this dragon managed to flee into the Mountain range.

Kobold tribe: Hunted by predators of all kinds, kobolds stumbled upon the dragon. They got a protector and he got a tribe of creatures who cared about him.

They picked as their home a large cave near the mountain top of one of the mountains in a Mountain range. Immensely industrious kobolds expanded the dragon cave, made space for their living quarters. For decades, they planned and got magical powers.

During this period, kobold leaders figured, dragon only cared for the company of pretty, kindhearted children. He did not harm them, but this way their "Kobold God" became happy. So, strengthened kobolds(casters and warriors) started raiding Feywild and Material plane for such children.

In order for children not to "degenerate", kobolds came up with organized petrification - a child would be caught, dominated (Dominate person), child would be for a time in company of a dragon, then would be exposed to gaze of a group of 3 Medusas, eho also reside in a dragon lair. When needed, child would be brought back via Greater Restoration. Children were stored in dozens of niches in dragons' lair for him to gaze upon.

Kobolds got pretty darn strong, even got a spell of Regeneration for their "dragon-god" to grow back its wings. With a number of low- to mid- level casters in their ranks as well as a lot of competent fighters, they abandoned their "hunted all the time" fate.

So I guess their lair should be pretty fortified and attack-proof. This is what I was going for.

Here is my sketch of a dungeon: https://ibb.co/hV23RsR

I know its kind of crude and I think certain conceptual gaps will need to be filled, but I like the fact I gathered the effort to make this, since encounters and roleplay are easy for me, but dungeonbuilding is quite an effort :)

Thanks

Ameraaaaaa
2022-11-15, 04:10 PM
I'd love to help but the image doesn't work.

HoboKnight
2022-11-16, 01:14 AM
Thanks, another try: https://i.postimg.cc/t4TXdwdP/whiteboard-grid-large-hero.jpg

animorte
2022-11-16, 01:52 AM
Have you heard of Tucker’s Kobolds? (https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/TuckersKobolds.pdf)

An excellent read.

HoboKnight
2022-11-16, 03:21 AM
Tuckers kobolds would get steamrolled by a competent party(which mine is). That is the reason for tiny corridors and a trap attmpt in 1st room.