PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Nightmare Before Driftmas

Malimar
2022-11-15, 04:09 PM
So I've taken it into my head to run a holiday one-shot once or twice a year. Not always for [generic winter holiday], but last year yes (https://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2021/12/how-dragon-stole-driftmas.html). This year, my partner suggested running something based on Nightmare Before Christmas, an idea I liked, but it was too late for me to begin preparing to run it for Halloween, so I'll probably run it in December.

My current idea: What if Sandy Claws's elves had hired adventurers to rescue him from Oogie Boogie?

(There is an equivalent of Santa; Saint Usla canonically has tremendous power on Driftmas Eve and very limited power the rest of the year, so a kidnapping is quite plausible. I've decided that Usla lives in a demiplane accessible by portal from either the southern polar continent or the northern polar ice cap, so it would make sense that there is an equivalent demiplane for figures relevant to Hoobynoob, so some sort of Halloweentown is certainly plausible. Very little is canonically established about Hoobynoob, other than the goddess of agriculture has claimed it as a holiday to her, whereas previously it had been sacred to either the god of demons&monsters or the god of disgustingness, I'm not sure. Possibly the forces of the evil gods want to reclaim it from a dressing-in-costumes-and-collecting-candy holiday and make it malevolent again, and want to use Driftmas's power to do that somehow? Possibly in collusion with the evil winter god from whom Driftmas itself was originally stolen?)

So, basically, brainstorming! Any ideas for plot or encounters for a Nightmare Before Christmas-inspired one-shot? (Key is inspired; I'm just using it as a jumping-off ideas point, no need to stick specifically to the movie in any way.)

animorte
2022-11-15, 09:34 PM
My wife and I had the idea of Jack stepping through the doors on the other trees and what that might look like. She also likes the idea of somehow making the mayor a Barbarian/Bard, you know to shift between the two faces.

From the name, I honestly thought your concept was going to be a take on sailing or some other aquatic theme (drift).

Malimar
2022-11-17, 05:23 PM
From the name, I honestly thought your concept was going to be a take on sailing or some other aquatic theme (drift).

If The Fast and the Furious series can have a movie with "drift" in the title that has nothing to do with water, so can I! (Mine pertains to snowdrifts.)

animorte
2022-11-17, 05:41 PM
If The Fast and the Furious series can have a movie with "drift" in the title that has nothing to do with water, so can I! (Mine pertains to snowdrifts.)
Aha, silly me! Obvious.