PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph Spell : Beast List by CR

furby076
2022-11-18, 12:58 PM
Hey All,

I am picking up Polymorph spell, which allows Beasts where the level of the target = the CR (so if i target a level 8 friend, it's CR 8 beast). Is there a list of Beasts by CR and in which book they can be found? When I was flipping through the MM, I didn't see such a section (maybe I missed it). Currently, looks like dinosaurs are best bang for the buck, but a triceratops or trex is not always a good pick

JackPhoenix
2022-11-18, 01:45 PM
If you're looking for just list and not stats, set up https://koboldplus.club/ filters for just beasts and whatever books you have access to.

OvisCaedo
2022-11-18, 04:47 PM
T-rex and Giant Ape (CR 8 and 7) are the most common high end combat forms, I think. There are no official Beasts above CR 8, pretty much everything gets classified as a "monstrosity" past that. a Roc is just a giant bird and was just "animal" in 3.5 but is classed as "monstrosity" in 5e.

it's likely that this was done specifically to limit Polymorph.

furby076
2022-11-18, 05:31 PM
Thank you all!!

Unoriginal
2022-11-18, 05:41 PM
The Sperm Whale from Rime of the Frostmaiden is also a CR 8 Beast.

furby076
2022-11-18, 08:12 PM
The Sperm Whale from Rime of the Frostmaiden is also a CR 8 Beast.

Barbarian: Jumps of the cliff above the enemyand yells "WHALE ME"
Bard: "I've trained them well"

DarknessEternal
2022-11-18, 08:15 PM
Beasts of the Jungle Rot is allowed in Adventurer's League. It has up to titanosaurus and gigantisaurus.

Tanarii
2022-11-18, 09:26 PM
Donjon rpg tools

KorvinStarmast
2022-11-19, 03:45 PM
Giant Ape lets you be King Kong and climb up tall buildings. :smallbiggrin: And throw rocks. Too much fun.

Sayeth
2022-11-22, 12:41 PM
If your DM ever throws a half-dragon beast at you using the half-dragon template from the Monster's Manual, it's still categorized as a beast with no change to the CR. I know it's unlikely, but it could be a fun little reward from your DM to let you encounter a half-red-dragon giant boar so you can breathe fire.

Wraith
2022-11-22, 04:52 PM
The vast majority of Beasts can be found on DnD Beyond (https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters?filter-type=2&filter-search=&filter-cr-min=&filter-cr-max=&filter-armor-class-min=&filter-armor-class-max=&filter-average-hp-min=&filter-average-hp-max=&filter-is-legendary=&filter-is-mythic=&filter-has-lair=&sort=cr) - The ones that aren't on there, it tells you which book/supplement to look to in order to find them.

Bobthewizard
2022-11-23, 03:14 PM
If you can get your DM to let you use Beasts of the Jungle Rot (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/220567/Beasts-of-the-Jungle-Rot), it has a CR10 gigantosaurus, plus a couple other potentially useful dinosaurs.

sambojin
2022-11-24, 12:45 AM
I've found an app called 5e Bestiary on mobile is pretty good. Just go to manage sources and download the currently updated data files, and you'll get a list of pretty much every monster ever.

Just search for beast and sort by CR and you're set. Also includes the source of the creature, so you can get an idea of whether you'll be allowed to use it or not.

While not super useful for Polymorph (there's only a couple of not-great extras like Huge Giant Crab and Sperm Whale there), there's heaps of stuff for lower CR wildshape, some of which are direct upgrades over similar creatures in the MM (Huge Polar Bear, Spider King, etc). Handy when playing at a table, so you can just hand your phone to your DM for the relevant stats, instead of carrying half a library with you.