PDA

View Full Version : Squires for Hire

Daffy Dutch
2022-11-18, 06:20 PM
Heya Folks, I hope you don't mind if I shill my webcomic here.

Squires for Hire is a fantasy comic about three young girls attending St. Briar's Academy for Squires, a fantastical school for knights-in-training in the mystical land of Paragon.

It's got goblins, it's got quests, it's got cute girls bickering and getting into trouble.

If this sounds up your alley you can read it here: https://tapas.io/series/Squires-for-Hire/info
Or even here: https://www.tumblr.com/squiresforhire

Anarchic Fox
2022-11-24, 10:40 PM
It's got a cute artstyle, an endearing main character, and some solid jokes. I laughed at the one about the unattended horse near the start. I get some Fire Emblem vibes from the premise, although I'm only vaguely acquainted with that series.

I'll give it a full read and let you know what I think.

Anarchic Fox
2022-11-30, 10:13 PM
I like it. At first the characters seemed a bit limited in expression, a side effect of the huge-eyed artstyle, but that problem went away by page 100 or so. I also noticed some lack of confidence in the humor -- a character would do something that plays to their characterization, and rather than have that stand as the punchline, the punchline would be another character pointing out what the original just did. These are minor problems though, and I'm invested enough in the story to see how it goes. (Also, rather than Fire Emblem vibes, now I'm getting Hero University vibes.)

Daffy Dutch
2022-12-02, 02:36 AM
Oh right on dude, thanks for checking it out. I also appreciate the critique, I'm always interested in seeing people's takes on my work so thanks for the input. I hope you enjoy where the story goes from here.

Rockphed
2022-12-10, 03:11 PM
I finished chapter one. I like the dynamic between the three leads. Also, Sir Warwick is a gem.

I think I'll keep reading. How often does this update?

smuchmuch
2022-12-11, 09:47 AM
It's definitevly solid so far. "Three characters with vastly different personalities sharing a dorm room" isn't the most original premice but the execution is very pleasant so far, the interraction between all three main character are good and the flow is entertainig. The art style is vibrant and cartoony and works fairly well for the tone of the comic.
Remains to be seen how good it stay when you have more than a chapter and a half of content but so far, this is good stuff.

Daffy Dutch
2022-12-14, 07:22 AM
I finished chapter one. I like the dynamic between the three leads. Also, Sir Warwick is a gem.

I think I'll keep reading. How often does this update?

Oh thanks dude, yeah Warwick might be my favorite character to write dialogue for. As for updates, it used to be a weekly series updating every friday but I got a new job as a character designer for an animated project, so it's become a bi-weekly kinda thing.

It's definitevly solid so far. "Three characters with vastly different personalities sharing a dorm room" isn't the most original premice but the execution is very pleasant so far, the interraction between all three main character are good and the flow is entertainig. The art style is vibrant and cartoony and works fairly well for the tone of the comic.
Remains to be seen how good it stay when you have more than a chapter and a half of content but so far, this is good stuff.

Haha yeah. it's my first time doing any kind of creative writing or storytelling. I've got a ton of arcs planned out, I can only hope the quality stays consistent.

Anarchic Fox
2023-02-12, 12:31 PM
Despite the story arc's lighthearted tone, the prospect of an innocent mistake that ruins a budding friendship hits me in the gut. I know the story won't go that way, but still.

Rockphed
2023-03-04, 12:01 AM
The strip is now back from a break. Comments on new page in spoiler.

I was expecting a latrine, to be honest. This is doubtless funnier. I'm not sure which girl's reaction is funnier.

Daffy Dutch
2023-03-29, 09:10 PM
Despite the story arc's lighthearted tone, the prospect of an innocent mistake that ruins a budding friendship hits me in the gut. I know the story won't go that way, but still.

Oh it'll definitely cause some drama for the three of them in the next couple chapters alright. But hey, maybe some old friendships will be reignited along the way, who can say?

The strip is now back from a break. Comments on new page in spoiler.

I was expecting a latrine, to be honest. This is doubtless funnier. I'm not sure which girl's reaction is funnier.

They're definitely both positively delightful in their own separate ways.

Rockphed
2023-04-01, 10:47 AM
There are not 1 but 2 "DOOM" panels in the most recent comic. Did this chapter just turn into a horror story?

Daffy Dutch
2023-04-01, 03:39 PM
There are not 1 but 2 "DOOM" panels in the most recent comic. Did this chapter just turn into a horror story?

Nah, not full-blown horror, but it is gonna get a little spooky. On an unrelated note, did you know my favorite horror movie is John Carpenter's The Thing?

Rockphed
2023-04-01, 07:16 PM
Ah, good. I will get popcorn and enjoy this.

smuchmuch
2023-04-04, 04:23 AM
... Okaaay so now I'm really curious as to what was in that gift to sudenly give those mimics what seems to be a burst of increases sapience...
Also update rate seemed to have picked up a bit. Nice.

Rockphed
2023-04-22, 07:08 AM
If I say this once, I will say it a million times: you don't discuss liquidating prisoners until they are actually prisoners.

And I don't think either of the girls is in mortal danger here, but I half expect our dark friend to sport a hook hand for the next few chapters.

Daffy Dutch
2023-06-23, 04:38 AM
Really happy with how the latest page turned out. It's gonna be a ton of fun drawing all kinds of shapes for the mimic to shift into.

Rockphed
2023-06-23, 05:51 AM
I just checked that none of the girls wears high heels. Otherwise they would definitely trip and break a heel.