PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling question

FabulousFizban
2022-11-20, 01:32 AM
Infernal Legacy. You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd Level, you can cast the Hellish Rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 5th Level, you can cast the Darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. Charisma is your Spellcasting ability for these Spells.

Question: Are these added to your spells known if you are a caster?

Edit Do you need material components to cast these?

Sparky McDibben
2022-11-20, 01:40 AM
Infernal Legacy. You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd Level, you can cast the Hellish Rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 5th Level, you can cast the Darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. Charisma is your Spellcasting ability for these Spells.

Question: Are these added to your spells known if you are a caster?

Unless otherwise noted, no. Ask your DM; I'd be OK with it.

Dork_Forge
2022-11-20, 01:40 AM
No, they're entirely separate and only castable the once (for the leveled spells) and Thaumaturgy doesn't count as a class spell.

Newer revisions of this kind of thing tend to give you the spell as a caster which is more flexible, but also favours casters and blurs the lines of it being because you're a Tiefling.

AttilatheYeon
2022-11-20, 01:51 AM
They are not, but a lot of DMs will let you add them.

diplomancer
2022-11-20, 04:26 AM
They are not, but a lot of DMs will let you add them.

Specially if you point out that the similar Gith race, once it was updated in MPMM, got that upgrade, as has the Artificer Initiate feat as well as Fey-Touched and Shadow-Touched feats. That's clearly the new "design direction" of the game (one of the design changes of which I approve)

Unoriginal
2022-11-20, 07:10 AM

Indeed. You always need all of the spell's components unless it's stated otherwise in the ability.

TyGuy
2022-11-20, 12:40 PM
Indeed. You always need all of the spell's components unless it's stated otherwise in the ability.

Magic items being the exception to this.

Spore
2022-11-20, 01:31 PM
Specially if you point out that the similar Gith race, once it was updated in MPMM, got that upgrade, as has the Artificer Initiate feat as well as Fey-Touched and Shadow-Touched feats. That's clearly the new "design direction" of the game (one of the design changes of which I approve)

And with that, I would personally welcome a paragraph in one of the upcoming books to just flat-out state that you are heavily pointed into the direction of allowing this, too.

Schwann145
2022-11-20, 04:28 PM

RAW, yes, you'd need the components (material or otherwise) to cast them.
Thematically? You shouldn't. You don't cast Darkness because you've unlocked the arcane secrets of the universe that lets you cast Darkness; you do it because you're a Tiefling and that's something some Tieflings can just do. It doesn't really make sense to put the spellcaster limitations on said character/NPC. In fact, older editions which made specific distinctions between spells, spell-like abilities, etc cover this much better. 5e has abandoned said distinctions though. :(

KorvinStarmast
2022-11-21, 09:17 AM
RAW, yes, you'd need the components (material or otherwise) to cast them.
Thematically? You shouldn't. I agree. The racial spells ought to be 'innate casting' as discussed in the MM for various monsters. And that's how I do it at the table when I am DM.

Innate Spellcasting
A monster with the innate ability to cast spells has the Innate Spellcasting special trait. Unless noted otherwise, an innate spell of 1st level or higher is always cast at its lowest possible level and can’t be cast at a higher level. If a monster has a cantrip where its level matters and no level is given, use the monster’s challenge rating.
An innate spell can have special rules or restrictions. For example, a drow mage can innately cast the levitate spell, but the spell has a “self only” restriction, which means that the spell affects only the drow mage. A monster’s innate spells can’t be swapped out with other spells.

Unoriginal
2022-11-21, 12:36 PM
I agree. The racial spells ought to be 'innate casting' as discussed in the MM for various monsters. And that's how I do it at the table when I am DM.

Do note that not all Innate Spellcasting have the "no material component" feature. Some Innate Spellcasting has 0 component, some have all the regular components, some have no material or verbal, etc.

KorvinStarmast
2022-11-21, 12:46 PM
Do note that not all Innate Spellcasting have the "no material component" feature. Some Innate Spellcasting has 0 component, some have all the regular components, some have no material or verbal, etc.
Yeah, it does go monster by monster, but for me it is simpler for all innate spell casting to be without material components.

TyGuy
2022-11-21, 01:05 PM
I'm torn. If it's going to be innate, that kind of goes against it being learned and usable with spell slots in my opinion.

KorvinStarmast
2022-11-21, 01:12 PM
I'm torn. If it's going to be innate, that kind of goes against it being learned and usable with spell slots in my opinion. Hmm, now that you mention that, it seems that a lot of the innate spell casting denizens of the MM do have X-times-per-day as their format rather than slots. (I just re did a noble Storm Giant to modestly adjust her spell load out, and that convention caught my eye so I checked Djinn, and then Dryad, and I began to see a pattern emerge.