PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The rogue is dead, long live the rogue?

aglondier
2022-11-20, 05:40 PM
After a particularly nasty encounter with a necromancer, it would seem our rogue is dying/dead.

We can't really afford to completely lose his skill set, but the player is not very keen on playing a rogue again so soon.

The rest of the party is:
Dwarf Fighter 4/Magus 3
Changeling Paladin 7 (non-spellcasting)
Gnome Wizard (enchanter) 7
Elf Sorceror (black dragon blooded) 7
Human (shoanti) Shaman 7

Can anyone suggest a complementary vaguely rogue-ish character option?

Kurald Galain
2022-11-20, 05:44 PM
Can anyone suggest a complementary vaguely rogue-ish character option?

Investigator is a good bet, and so is Bard.

StevenC21
2022-11-20, 10:46 PM
Slayer could work.

Maat Mons
2022-11-21, 01:09 AM
Which parts of the Rogue toolkit does your group need?

aglondier
2022-11-21, 02:45 AM
Which parts of the Rogue toolkit does your group need?

All of it, but as I said, the player wants to try something else for a bit.

vasilidor
2022-11-21, 02:59 AM
The Investigator or the Slayer classes are pretty much Rogue upgrades. Slayer also functions as a Ranger upgrade. Between the two of them the Investigator is probably the least Rogue like.

Heavenblade
2022-11-21, 05:10 AM
Aether kineticist gives damage ans skill-monkeying, in my experience.

Khedrac
2022-11-21, 08:05 AM
Seeker sorcerers get the ability to handle traps which is usually the main thing that cannot be done easily by spell-casters, and sorcerers are good at "face" skills anyway

It's also an Oracle variant if they want to be a divine caster.

Septimus
2022-11-21, 08:10 AM
I second Investigator (skill-monkey road), or slayer (more martial oriented). I also would like to mention a dex-based occultist, especially using trappings of warrior, who could have nearly as many skill ranks than a rogue and with the advantages of spells and effective full-bab attacks. It's a bit demanding on the building side, but once done it is quite enjoyable.

Kurald Galain
2022-11-21, 08:14 AM
All of it, but as I said, the player wants to try something else for a bit.
Yeah, so that's a bit vague. Your player wants a character that works in melee and has good skills? There's quite a lot of characters that do that.

The best class at skills is probably the investigator (which is no slouch in combat, either), or any archetype that copies the investigator's inspiration mechanic.
The best class at melee... that's really up to taste, but based on party composition I recommend bloodrager, warpriest, or bard.
Or did you specifically want the rogue's sneak attack ability? Because that one's relatively rare, but vivisectionist alchemist is good, as is nature fang druid (with crocodile domain).
HTH.

Seeker sorcerers get the ability to handle traps which is usually the main thing that cannot be done easily by spell-casters
Alternatively, the Trap Finder trait lets you do that.

Crake
2022-11-21, 08:31 AM
Sounds like someone should just pick up leadership and get a rogue cohort, don't force the player to play a character they don't really want to play.

Kol Korran
2022-11-21, 10:49 AM
I'd suggest 2 more classes:
# Alchemist:
Quite a bit different than the rogue, but still fills the skill/ utility niche, with a few different tricks. It can be built in different ways, some may be more rogue-ish, mainly using the archetypes.

# Inquisitor:
A sort of divine-rogue. This is a fantastic class (At least in my opinion), that has a lot of skill points (many of them similar to the rogue list), some spontaneous clerical casting, and a few other assorted abilities. Quite fun!

Maat Mons
2022-11-21, 11:59 AM
Okay, so the not-a-Rogue needs to wear all three Rogue hats: ambassador (Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense motive), engineer (Trapfinding and Disable Device), and scout (Perception and Stealth). That can be a little rough on the skill points, but if that’s what you need, that’s what you need.

Sorcerer with the Seeker archetype for Trapfinding has already been mentioned. I’ll just also point out that you can go with the Sage Bloodline to switch your casting stat to Int. Being Int-based will make things easier on the skill front.

I’d also consider Druid with the Nature Fang archetype as an alternate way to pick up Trapfinding. You’ll be Wis-based, but with 4+Int skill points base, +1 skill point per level from human, +1 skill point per level from FCB, and maybe 12 Int, if you can swing it, you’ll actually have a fair few skill points to work with.

That trait from the Mummy’s Mask adventure path has already been mentioned as a class-agnostic way of picking up Trapfinding. I suggest Witch and Arcanist as good Int-based classes that this opens up.

Edit: Or, I guess, Feyspeaker Druid with the Trap Finder trait could also work well. Not Int-based, but 6+Int skill points base.

Faily
2022-11-21, 05:13 PM
Alchemist can also fill the role of a Rogue, depending on choices made (Feat, Archetype, etc).

Particle_Man
2022-11-21, 07:01 PM
If 3.5 classes are allowed, maybe the factotum?