PDA

View Full Version : Can a battlesmith's steel defender be a smartcar?

ftafp
2022-11-20, 08:10 PM
Steel defenders are medium meaning a small creature can ride them (which allows said creature to enter their space) and can look however you want, as long as you stick to 2 or 4 legs.
Given that 5x5 is actually a relatively big space, could your smol smith ride inside a steel defender?

animewatcha
2022-11-20, 08:21 PM
Maybe modified chariot??

JackPhoenix
2022-11-20, 08:23 PM
No. Nothing about steel defenders say they allow any other creature to fit inside, or that they are hollow at all. And just because creature controls 5' space in combat does not mean the creature is 5' cube.

Millstone85
2022-11-20, 08:30 PM
Yes but it is going to be that kind of smartcar:
https://i.cdn.nrholding.net/41675460/500/500
You are the blocks. No extra protection for you. :smallbiggrin:

ftafp
2022-11-20, 08:33 PM
No. Nothing about steel defenders say they allow any other creature to fit inside, or that they are hollow at all. And just because creature controls 5' space in combat does not mean the creature is 5' cube.

I mean, the text says its shape is up to you. There's a lot of stuff the rules don't say about a creature that's mechanically pertinent. For example. the rules for steel defenders are actually pretty exceptional in telling you how many legs its allowed to have. Most creatures don't specify that all, but you don't assume every npc is in a wheelchair

Zhorn
2022-11-20, 09:13 PM
No extra protection for you. :smallbiggrin:
This is very much the major point to be emphasized
Yes; you do get to choose the form as per the limits of the feature; wheels vs legs as mostly a matter of imaginary flavour, and as long as there is no mechanical difference in play then it doesn't matter

BUT like with the 'wheel vs legs' element, if you wish to shape the steel defender as some vehicle that you can ride in rather than on, that too cannot come with any additional mechanical variations from the baseline.
the benefits that the steel defender can grant is what it says on the box, not some additional extrapolation beyond that.

Ogun
2022-11-20, 10:31 PM
Build an enclosed howada and have the steel defender carry it.

Waazraath
2022-11-21, 04:02 AM
For me the dilemma is between:
1) you don't want people to 'get creative' in the sense that they make stuff up with the aim to get extra mechanical bonusses (whether with subclass features, spells, feats or whatever);
2) the Artificer is the class that really should be able to do stuff like this, due to flavour.

But 1) is stronger.

A smartcar without any additional plusses? Of course, by all means.

Dork_Forge
2022-11-21, 04:23 AM
Aesthetically in descriptions? Sure.

Mechanically? No, and you know why not.

Damon_Tor
2022-11-21, 12:51 PM
For people dismissing this out of hand: if someone had a triceratops mount, would you give them some cover from it's neck plate? Can a character have cover from riding in a chariot or a similar vehicle?

In general I'm quite liberal with giving cover to creatures when it makes sense to do so. However, I also play with a house rule where, if a creature or object is giving you cover, if an attack misses you but would hit the creature or object which is giving you cover, it does.

RogueJK
2022-11-21, 12:55 PM
Aesthetically in descriptions? Sure.

Mechanically? No, and you know why not.

This.

You can flavor it however you want, so if you want to describe yourself as riding around inside your Steel Defender, knock yourself out.

But you don't get to dictate that mechanically this means you now have constant full/half cover, or whatever.

ftafp
2022-11-21, 08:45 PM
Okay, new plan: According to xanathar's, carpenter's tools can be used to create a lean-to as part of a long rest. Would that provide cover?

animorte
2022-11-21, 09:07 PM
*Ahem, throat clearing (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25596340&postcount=3)

I made a thing that basically does this. I seriously debated making it an Artificer subclass, but felt like the Artillerist and Battle Smith combined were just a bit too similar.

Could easily use it for Artificer. Just shift features from (3, 6, 10, 14) to (3, 5, 9, 15).

Reach Weapon
2022-11-21, 10:06 PM
A Steel Defender is a medium construct with a strength of 14, so blowing past it's carrying capacity is easy even without using variant encumbrance; you might be better served having it push, drag and lift a cart or travois.

Zhorn
2022-11-21, 10:21 PM
Okay, new plan: According to xanathar's, carpenter's tools can be used to create a lean-to as part of a long rest. Would that provide cover?
Sounds like something you'd be better of clearing with your DM rather than with the forum.

You are looking for a means of mobile cover, correct?
So rather than dancing around the question in trying to achieve piecemeal concessions; go with the more upfront question of "how could one get a howdah on a mount", which is much more of a reasonable request, though ultimately up to your specific DM.

Witty Username
2022-11-27, 09:17 PM
I would not use a smartcar on principle.

You should get the normal protection you would get being in a smart car. Which is Nothing.

animorte
2022-11-27, 09:30 PM
I would not use a smartcar on principle.

You should get the normal protection you would get being in a smart car. Which is Nothing.

Airbags and bumpers are still something. Maybe a +1 over motorcycles, which literally actually have nothing. You need to wear a helmet, which the ride itself does not provide.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-11-27, 10:01 PM
Airbags and bumpers are still something. Maybe a +1 over motorcycles, which literally actually have nothing. You need to wear a helmet, which the ride itself does not provide.

Do note that airbags and bumpers only work once until expensively repaired (airbag deployment is almost a sure cause of the car being judged a total loss). And, together with seat belts, can themselves cause damage. Just ask my ribs....

stoutstien
2022-11-28, 07:03 AM

I don't think they're referring to a collision.(smart cars are actually quite good in that category) but as a transportation option for combat.

hiptobecubic
2022-11-29, 10:21 AM
I don't think they're referring to a collision.(smart cars are actually quite good in that category) but as a transportation option for combat.

You'd at least get some kind of ability to see from the sensors and display, but only if you can see them with your own eyes, so it would only work in something like magical darkness if the windows were closed. I think if you wanted to actually use it as an aid for targeting or to negate unseen attack advantage you'd need proficiency with land vehicles and probably also attunement. Also, these sensors break if they take any damage whatsoever or if you're driving over difficult terrain too quickly. It's not a good item.

stoutstien
2022-11-29, 10:25 AM
Best bet is to make a cart/wagon and just have the SD pull it.

Probably could rig up an internal treadmill for the SD to run on to move it but then you are getting in the weeds of what DMs are going to start having problems.