PDA

View Full Version : Transmutation buffs that can be empowered?

Yuki Akuma
2022-11-21, 04:23 PM
So my Changeling character has recently taken the Mutable Body feat. For reference, it allows me to increase the caster level of any Transmutation spell cast on me by 1, and lets me spend 2 action points to Empower or Extend such spells.

Now, Extending most Transmutation buff spells makes sense, but I can't really find any that benefit from being Empowered. Does anyone know of any? Would've been good back in 3e when Bull's Strength et al made you roll for the bonus, but...

ixrisor
2022-11-21, 05:00 PM
So my Changeling character has recently taken the Mutable Body feat. For reference, it allows me to increase the caster level of any Transmutation spell cast on me by 1, and lets me spend 2 action points to Empower or Extend such spells.

Now, Extending most Transmutation buff spells makes sense, but I can't really find any that benefit from being Empowered. Does anyone know of any? Would've been good back in 3e when Bull's Strength et al made you roll for the bonus, but...

Maybe something that grants a natural weapon, or that gives some dice worth of temporary hp?

Beni-Kujaku
2022-11-21, 05:17 PM
There are defensive buffs that deal damage, like Babau Slime and Balor Nimbus. There also are offensive buffs that deal damage, like Celestial Aspect, Claws of the Beast or Flame Whips. There are a few random buffs (Devil's Ego, Reinforce Construct and Repair X damage if you're a warforged, Greater Stunning Breath if you're a dragon, maybe Swift Haste, ...)
But yeah, most of the time, Extended is better.

Rebel7284
2022-11-21, 05:55 PM
What spell lists do you have access to?

Anthrowhale
2022-11-21, 06:18 PM
Bear's Heart gives +1d4/caster level temp hp.

Biggus
2022-11-21, 08:23 PM
There are actually quite a lot. What class are you?

Yuki Akuma
2022-11-21, 09:19 PM
What spell lists do you have access to?

There are actually quite a lot. What class are you?

We have an Artificer, and I'm using this homebrew (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?90955-Chameleon-as-a-Base-Class-(PEACH)), so... yes.

Probably should have started with this information.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-11-21, 09:37 PM
I think there's a PrC that makes shapeshifters immune to transmutation spells under some circumstances, which includes disintegrate. And with Chain Spell...

Biggus
2022-11-23, 01:18 AM
All are SRD or SpC unless stated.

Algid Enhancement (FB)
Animate Breath
Arms of Plenty (LoM)
Aspect of the Earth Hunter
Aspect of the Wolf
Aura of Cold, Lesser/Greater (FB)
Babau Slime
Balor Nimbus
Bear's Heart (DotF)
Beast Claws
Belker Claws
Bite of Wererat/wolf/tiger/boar/bear
Body Blades
Body of the Sun
Body of War
Celestial Aspect (BoED)
Charge of the Triceratops
Claws of the Bear
Claws of the Bebilith (BoVD)
Claws of the Savage (BoVD)
Cutting Hand
Devil's Tail (BoVD)
Displacer Form
Eye of the Beholder (BoVD)
Fangs of the Vampire King
Fell the Greatest Foe
Fire in the Blood (HoH)
Fire Wings
Flame Whips
Fly
Girallon's Blessing
Handfang (SK)
(Lesser) Infernal Transformation
Iron Body
Jaws of the Moray (SW)
Lahm's Finger Darts (BoVD)
Master Air
Megalodon Empowerment (SW)
Mental Pinnacle
Nightstalker's Transformation
Overland Flight
Poison Needles (CArc)
Poison Thorns
Primal Form
Quillfire
Ruin Delver's Fortune
Rusting Grasp
Scorpion Tail (RoE)
Serpents of Theggeron (BoVD)
Stone Fist (RoS)
Stormrage
Stunning Breath, Greater
Telekinesis
Thornskin
Undying Aura (MoE)
Venomfire (SK)
Visage of the Deity, Greater

Devil's Ego was updated in FCII and no longer works.

Venger
2022-11-23, 01:34 AM
I think there's a PrC that makes shapeshifters immune to transmutation spells under some circumstances, which includes disintegrate. And with Chain Spell...

That's the capstone for master of many forms. You're immune to any transmutation effect unless you're willing to accept it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-11-23, 08:23 AM
That's the capstone for master of many forms. You're immune to any transmutation effect unless you're willing to accept it.So cast Chained disintegrate with yourself as one of the secondary targets but retain your immunity. The freely-Empowered spell is cast on you, but...

Beni-Kujaku
2022-11-23, 08:39 AM
So cast Chained disintegrate with yourself as one of the secondary targets but retain your immunity. The freely-Empowered spell is cast on you, but...

Yeah, I'm not buying the usefulness of Empowering a spell then halving the damage. Sure, the secondary targets are still Empowered but how often do you need to hit several people with the same Disintegrate. Honestly, if I'm using a 9th level slot to damage a few enemies for 20d6, might as well just use Meteor Swarm, there would be fewer saving throws. (Chained Disintegrate allows for both a reflex and a fortitude save for half). Or horrid wilting, if you're worried about immunities.

Empowered chain disintegrate is possibly not without merit (when you have a lot of people who will die to 105 damage and not 70 and who have low reflex and low fortitude) but quite situational for a lot of investment.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-11-23, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I'm not buying the usefulness of Empowering a spell then halving the damage. Sure, the secondary targets are still Empowered but how often do you need to hit several people with the same Disintegrate. Honestly, if I'm using a 9th level slot to damage a few enemies for 20d6, might as well just use Meteor Swarm, there would be fewer saving throws. (Chained Disintegrate allows for both a reflex and a fortitude save for half). Or horrid wilting, if you're worried about immunities.

Empowered chain disintegrate is possibly not without merit (when you have a lot of people who will die to 105 damage and not 70 and who have low reflex and low fortitude) but quite situational for a lot of investment.Disintegrate deals full damage to one target. Chained disintegrate deals full damage to one target and half damage to lots of other targets (with a Ref save), one of which is you (but you are immune). It doesn't matter for the Empowering effect if you're the primary target or a secondary one; the Empowering still affects the entire spell.

Also, Split Ray does something similar for a lower slot investment.

And if you can somehow turn disintegrate into an AoE with you inside of it (such as via a lens of ray widening and casting the spell via your familiar), that could work, too.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-11-23, 10:44 AM
It doesn't matter for the Empowering effect if you're the primary target or a secondary one; the Empowering still affects the entire spell.

Oh, yeah, you're probably right. Still higher slot than Empowered Disintegrate, but better than regular Chain Disintegrate.

Yuki Akuma
2022-11-24, 06:12 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their input, I have some fun ideas for the future now. :smallbiggrin: