PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Lich spells? PEACH

Dieuoffire
2022-11-22, 04:24 PM
While reading up on lich template and other undead fun stuff I came a crossed the Cyst (necrotic) spell line (libris mortis) and thought it was a fun idea. It however was not quite what I was looking for. So I thought about it and decided I want to make a similar spell series for Liches. (Because lets be honest, Liches are fun but need some love.)

Base idea:
It takes a special feat and you must be a lich to get these spells. Additionally the more powerful spells you must use your own phylactery as a focus. I think that this as a a flaw will justify the stronger spells as most liches do not want to carry their own phylactery into combat against powerful foes. Three requirements to cast the spell (feat, template, additional focus) means these spells should be much stronger than the average.

Spells I am considering:
1 a spell that uses the phylactery as a conduit to the negative energy that powers undead to reach out and cut a necromancer off control from their own undead (yes I know powerful). the spell does not need to put the lich in control, just free the undead. From there the opposing necromancer has their own problems. (steal summon is 6th so 7th level? again restrictions and higher level to affect more creatures, also no control)

2 a spell that allows the lich to temporality imbue all of their controlled undead with their lich paralyzing touch. (again very powerful, but the terror it would elicit is awesome.) (magic weapon legion is 2nd and so is ghoul touch, this is a lot more powerful but has requirements, so 4th?)

3 A vile spell to make the liches touch deal 1 vile damage per round to a paralyzed foe plus I'm thinking of a sickening condition or similar as long as the vile damage lasts. (so a foe who escapes the liches paralysis has secondary problems) (not very strong 1 dmg per round to a foe who has already failed the save and is now paralyzed, so 2nd?)

4 A spell that makes it so that whenever any undead the lich controls deals damage, add one point of vile damage. This would make it so that creatures who have DR, fast healing, would be threatened by the undead mooks. So again not very strong, but affects lots of undead. (3rd level?)

I usually am good at making my own homebrew, but when I like an idea I tend to make it either to high or too low of a level.

noob
2022-11-22, 05:28 PM
Now you need some top level spells to complete the feat?
Maybe animate lich? (normally an epic spell but then with the feat you would be able to get it as a ninth level spell or something)
You do not really need low level lich specific spells because the minimum level to become a lich is normally high: while it is possible to rush it and become a lich at level 1 it requires cooperative item crafting rules (else you can not make the phylactery).

Dieuoffire
2022-11-22, 06:40 PM
never underestimate a good low level spell, especially one that can be meta-magiced into a monstrosity. :)

Morphic tide
2022-11-24, 11:24 PM
1 a spell that uses the phylactery as a conduit to the negative energy that powers undead to reach out and cut a necromancer off control from their own undead (yes I know powerful). the spell does not need to put the lich in control, just free the undead. From there the opposing necromancer has their own problems. (steal summon is 6th so 7th level? again restrictions and higher level to affect more creatures, also no control)
Steal Summoning flips one creature of a Summon Monster spell, where this would "break" a tie established solely by Rebuke Undead or casting the animate spell in the first place. I would strongly suggest mirroring it with a 3rd or 4th level spell for establishing the connection, possibly with Counterspelling applicability.

2 a spell that allows the lich to temporality imbue all of their controlled undead with their lich paralyzing touch. (again very powerful, but the terror it would elicit is awesome.) (magic weapon legion is 2nd and so is ghoul touch, this is a lot more powerful but has requirements, so 4th?)
...The Paralyzing Touch of a Lich is Permanent, unlike a Ghoul's. Even using the deliverer's HD and Cha (actually may be better for a Wizard that went tall), this is still FAR nastier than the 5th-level Baleful Polymorph. So somewhere in 6th-8th, depending on a bunch of fiddly details of the implementation.

3 A vile spell to make the liches touch deal 1 vile damage per round to a paralyzed foe plus I'm thinking of a sickening condition or similar as long as the vile damage lasts. (so a foe who escapes the liches paralysis has secondary problems) (not very strong 1 dmg per round to a foe who has already failed the save and is now paralyzed, so 2nd?)
There is no [Vile] descriptor, FYI. Nearest is Corrupt spells, which are an alternate access mechanic involving ability damage costs. If it's just 1 Vile damage/Paralyzed round plus Sickened until healed, then it's roughly half of a penalty set Bestow Curse can give (-2, but also applies to weapon damage), countered by a Cleric 2 spell instead of a Cleric 3, though tied behind a skill check and a second Cleric 2 spell. Take a save-or-lose and make it potentially save-or-die, maybe throw in the Paralyzing Touch using the spell's save DC if higher, so your Wizard Liches aren't saddled by their low Charisma.

4 A spell that makes it so that whenever any undead the lich controls deals damage, add one point of vile damage. This would make it so that creatures who have DR, fast healing, would be threatened by the undead mooks. So again not very strong, but affects lots of undead. (3rd level?)
Not really, it's ONLY the Vile damage that's "tied down". And I think that it doesn't bypass DR, being a modifier like Nonlethal with how Ability Damage can be Vile. Making all the damage Vile wouldn't be too out of line for a 3rd-level spell, given it's a single 2nd-level spell surcharge for a lot of Cure removal.

Dieuoffire
2022-11-25, 10:37 PM
Steal Summoning flips one creature of a Summon Monster spell, where this would "break" a tie established solely by Rebuke Undead or casting the animate spell in the first place. I would strongly suggest mirroring it with a 3rd or 4th level spell for establishing the connection, possibly with Counterspelling applicability.

the problem is that the Lich had to use a lich phylactery to make the spell work. I am unaware of an equivalent good aligned mechanic. if there was one, then I would assume it to be similarly rare. There would be probably a opposed caster level check like dispel magic however.

...The Paralyzing Touch of a Lich is Permanent, unlike a Ghoul's. Even using the deliverer's HD and Cha (actually may be better for a Wizard that went tall), this is still FAR nastier than the 5th-level Baleful Polymorph. So somewhere in 6th-8th, depending on a bunch of fiddly details of the implementation.

Permanent, that is a good point. What if it granted all of the minions a 1hour paralysis? with a -4 to the save DC, based off lich DC? (the lich did cast the spell and is the power source, Plus easier to track when the lich has a dozen different undead types)

There is no [Vile] descriptor, FYI. Nearest is Corrupt spells, which are an alternate access mechanic involving ability damage costs. If it's just 1 Vile damage/Paralyzed round plus Sickened until healed, then it's roughly half of a penalty set Bestow Curse can give (-2, but also applies to weapon damage), countered by a Cleric 2 spell instead of a Cleric 3, though tied behind a skill check and a second Cleric 2 spell. Take a save-or-lose and make it potentially save-or-die, maybe throw in the Paralyzing Touch using the spell's save DC if higher, so your Wizard Liches aren't saddled by their low Charisma.

The Lich's touch is already a save-or-lose and this just makes it worse. I don't want to do multi save rolls however so it would just be if you fail the first save the secondary effect happens too.

Not really, it's ONLY the Vile damage that's "tied down". And I think that it doesn't bypass DR, being a modifier like Nonlethal with how Ability Damage can be Vile. Making all the damage Vile wouldn't be too out of line for a 3rd-level spell, given it's a single 2nd-level spell surcharge for a lot of Cure removal.

I thought Vile damage was like energy damage? it is it's own type. this would make it pass the DR on it's own. also even if it it "temporary" damage; it doesn't heal. so a troll with "temporary" vile damage is still down, forever. OR untill the temporary vile damage heals.

but you are right, anyone who can come after a lich would never normally be threatened by 1 unhealable damage per hit. However, this would also apply to things like destructive retribution, and other things so... ya still not enough, maybe convert half of the damage to vile? that would make a difference 8 destructive retribution build skeletons explode next to the hero and the hero (who has death ward up) still gets (depending upon HD and saves) a significant amount of Vile damage.