PDA

View Full Version : Free Rare Magic Item brews:

BerzerkerUnit
2022-11-23, 03:48 PM
Aloha all!

Pls enjoy these, PEACH if you like!

If you’re American, have a great holiday:)

Ascendant Aegis
Rare, requires Attunement
This magical shield appears as a bracer with the face of a slumbering warrior. As a bonus action the bracer can emit a triangular field of translucent force that functions as a shield until you use another bonus action to dismiss it.
You can cast Tenser’s Floating Disc as an action, at will. The discs conjured with this item can be made to remain in place for up to one minute.
The shield has 1 charge. When you would normally make a saving throw within an area of effect such as a fireball, cone of cold, or dragon’s breath, you can use your reaction to spend the charge and cast as a hemisphere centered on yourself. You can place the hemisphere in a way that includes nearby allies or excludes enemies. The Wall remains until your concentration is broken or the end of your next turn, whichever comes first.
The Aegis regains all charges at the next dawn.

The Hungry Hat
Rare, Requires Attunement
This wide brimmed magical wizard’s hat looks to be made of palid flesh full of blue veins and cinched with a blood red, black iron buckled belt. The interior looks like the maw of a desicated remora eel. The first time the hat is donned after the wearer completes a long rest, its teeth clamp down on their head painfully and the wearer loses a hit die. If the wearer has no hit dice, the hat unattunes itself and cannot be used.
While attuned, the hat can be used as a focus for arcane spells. As an action the wearer can expend a hit die and a spell slot of 2nd to 9th level and feed the energies to the hat. The hat will then cast any wizard spell the wearer desires, up to one level lower than the level of the slot expended.
Alternatively, the hat can be held in the caster’s hand. Each time the caster casts a spell of 1st level or higher the hat can distend wildly to make a bite attack at a creature within 10 feet. This attack uses the wearer’s spell attack bonus to hit and deals 1d10 piercing and 1d10 necrotic damage on a hit.

Mighty Hornet
Rare, Requires Attunement
This magical dagger looks like a hornet you hold by the thorax while stabbing with the stinger. The dagger has 2 charges. When you miss with an attack you can expend a charge to release the dagger and command it to animate for 1 minute. You can immediately reroll the attack and for the remaining minute the dagger will act independently as a tiny Giant Wasp whose attacks are magical. The Wasp takes its turn immediately after yours. You can direct the Wasp’s actions mentally, no action required by you. At the end of a minute or when reduced to 0 hit points the dagger flies back to its sheath or your hand.

The Moonshot Bow
This magical longbow appears to be a perfect crescent of ivory horn strung with a thread that looks like a narrow window into a star-filled night sky. When drawn with no arrow knocked, a ray of moonlight takes the place of the arrow. The damage of these rays is 1d8 radiant. They have a short range of 1 mile and no long range.
The bow has 1 charge. When you roll a 1 on an attack with this bow you can spend the charge to make it a 20 instead. The bow regains all charges at the next dusk.

Thunderbell
This magical wand looks like a tightly woven double helix of copper wire with a tiny iron bell on the end. The bell’s hammer is absent until a spell is cast. When you use this wand as a focus to cast a spell that deals Thunder damage, the spell deals an additional 1d8 Thunder damage. The wand has 7 charges that can be spent in the following ways.
1 charge. You can convert the damage dealt by any spell you cast to Thunder damage.
1 charge. You can cast Thunderwave. Each additional charge spent increases the damage as if you’d cast it with a higher level spell slot.
2 charges. You can cast Shatter. Each additional charge spent increases the damage as if you’d cast it with a higher level spell slot.
2 charges. You can cast Silence.
2 charges. You deal the maximum amount of damage when you cast a spell that deals Thunder damage.
If you expend the last charge, roll 1d20. On a roll of one the wand makes a loud ringing that can be heard up to 500 feet away and cracks in half, losing all of its magical properties.
Thunderbell regains 1d6+1 charges at the next dawn.

Rocket Hammer
Rare
This magic hammer has the heavy and two-handed properties. It deals 1d12 bludgeoning damage on a hit. The Hammer has 6 charges. When you make an attack with the Rocket Hammer you can expend a charge to give you advantage on the attack. On a hit the hammer deals an additional 2d12 damage. This powerful attack throws off your balance granting enemies advantage to attack you until the beginning of your next turn.
You can use a bonus action to spend a charge allowing the hammer to drag you up to 30 ft in a direction of your choosing without provoking attacks of opportunity. If you don’t end this movement on a surface that can support you, you fall.
The Rocket Hammer regains all charges at the next dawn.

kosh49
2022-11-23, 07:00 PM
Ascendant Aegis
Does using this mean you get to benefit from a shield while keeping your hand free for other purposes? If that can be maintained indefinitely that is probably too strong. The animated shield provides just that benefit, has a 1 minute limit (although you can reactivate it, but there are still potential logistical issues), and is a very rare item that requires attunement. If this also does not need a hand to use, it is strictly better than the animated shield. If it does still need a hand to use, it is probably fine balance wise, depending on the answers to my other questions.
I am not quite sure why this shield summons Tenser’s Floating Disk, or what the benefit is for having the discs it conjures remain in place for 1 minute. Is that an altered (shortened) duration, or is that a time when they can be made stationary for some reason?
Finally, how big is the wall the shield creates and what is its mechanical benefit? Does it provide advantage on saving throws, provide cover against ranged attacks, impose disadvantage on ranged attacks, totally block the area from external effects, or do something else? Also, if your allies and enemies are intermingled, there may not be a position that exists which simultaneously shields your allies and leaves your enemies unshielded.

The Hungry Hat
I honestly have no idea how to evaluate this. The drawback is a bit odd, but I think it is just you expend one hit die and gain no benefit which makes it fairly harmless, especially since this can occur right after a long rest when you have regained half you level in hit dice. The spell casting effect lets you completely bypass the limitations both of what spells you have prepared and what spells you have in your spell book, and you can do this with every spell slot of 2nd level or higher if you want. It costs a level reduction in the spell slot, but I have no idea if that is too little or too much. And the secondary effect gives you a 2d20 attack every time you cast a level 1 or higher spell in combat where you do not need the primary effect, without any action cost or other cost at all, which feels awfully strong (although you do have to be close to melee to use this ability). I just have no idea how rare this should be.

Mighty Hornet
This is most comparable to a dancing sword, which is a very rare item that requires attunement. The giant wasp statistics means that it is less likely to hit but does more damage (unless the target is immune to poison). It also can be killed to end the effect early, but if it is that means your foes are attacking it instead of you. On the other hand, it only has 2 charges so it can not be used all day like the dancing sword. I think this is either a very strong rare or a somewhat weak very rare.

The Moonshot Bow
There is a typo in this, it regains charges at dusk (not retains them). Otherwise I like this.

Thunderbell
If you use a charge to convert a spell’s damage to thunder damage, does the 1d8 damage bonus apply? If you use 2 charges to maximize the damage of a thunder spell, is the bonus 1d8 also maximized? I think the answer to both of those is yes, but I am not sure. I think you are undervaluing maximizing spell damage, I would probably increase the cost of that to 3 or 4 charges. I would also add “If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand vanishes with a loud peal of thunder, lost forever.” I think it should be fine as a rare item with those changes.

Rocket Hammer
I like this one.

BerzerkerUnit
2022-11-24, 12:27 PM
Ascendant Aegis
Does using this mean you get to benefit from a shield while keeping your hand free for other purposes? If that can be maintained indefinitely that is probably too strong. The animated shield provides just that benefit, has a 1 minute limit (although you can reactivate it, but there are still potential logistical issues), and is a very rare item that requires attunement. If this also does not need a hand to use, it is strictly better than the animated shield. If it does still need a hand to use, it is probably fine balance wise, depending on the answers to my other questions.
I am not quite sure why this shield summons Tenser’s Floating Disk, or what the benefit is for having the discs it conjures remain in place for 1 minute. Is that an altered (shortened) duration, or is that a time when they can be made stationary for some reason?
Finally, how big is the wall the shield creates and what is its mechanical benefit? Does it provide advantage on saving throws, provide cover against ranged attacks, impose disadvantage on ranged attacks, totally block the area from external effects, or do something else? Also, if your allies and enemies are intermingled, there may not be a position that exists which simultaneously shields your allies and leaves your enemies unshielded.

Thanks so much for your feedback!
The shield does leave the hand free to hold things or climb but is not compatible with 2 handed weapons or 2wf.
The Tensers effect can be thought of as 1 minute stairs that can hold up to 500 lbs (if you saw Ms. Marvel on Disney, you can think of how they work), or you can have a Tenser's disc for hauling your loot.
I thought I said the Wall of Force is a Dome and I believe that is defined in the spell as a 10ft radius. It is intended to be a 1/day "perfect defense" though the DM can rule it isn't so effective in a variety of situations, like Cloudkill, the cloud is already around you when you would make the save, trapping yourself in it with the wall isn't going to help.
The Wall of Force fails, per the spell, if it passes through a creature's space, so in the event allies and enemies are mixed, you need to decide if covering your allies is worth also protecting your foes, or letting your allies and foes eat a fireball or whatever is worth it.

The Hungry Hat
I honestly have no idea how to evaluate this. The drawback is a bit odd, but I think it is just you expend one hit die and gain no benefit which makes it fairly harmless, especially since this can occur right after a long rest when you have regained half you level in hit dice. The spell casting effect lets you completely bypass the limitations both of what spells you have prepared and what spells you have in your spell book, and you can do this with every spell slot of 2nd level or higher if you want. It costs a level reduction in the spell slot, but I have no idea if that is too little or too much. And the secondary effect gives you a 2d20 attack every time you cast a level 1 or higher spell in combat where you do not need the primary effect, without any action cost or other cost at all, which feels awfully strong (although you do have to be close to melee to use this ability). I just have no idea how rare this should be.

The hat doesn't increases the Save DC of your spells, so I felt its bite attack was on par with the effect of Tasha's Sorcerer focuses, like the one that has a mass of tentacles slap a target for 3d6 when you cast a leveled spell.

The "any spell" feature is supremely useful at an exceptional cost. Higher level spell slots used to cast higher level spells are almost always better than upcasting lower level spells (some spells, like L5 Immolation, are real lemons). So dumping a higher level slot and a hit die is a high price to pay, but the option of pulling out any spell you know about of a lower level is awesome. Had my player made better use of it, the encounter in which some of these items featured would have been over in a fraction of the time it took.

Mighty Hornet
This is most comparable to a dancing sword, which is a very rare item that requires attunement. The giant wasp statistics means that it is less likely to hit but does more damage (unless the target is immune to poison). It also can be killed to end the effect early, but if it is that means your foes are attacking it instead of you. On the other hand, it only has 2 charges so it can not be used all day like the dancing sword. I think this is either a very strong rare or a somewhat weak very rare.

I don't think it's that strong as a Rare when compared to some of the magic tomes, armor, or shields considering it provides no bonus to hit or damage (beyond the reroll) and the CR 1/2 Wasp is more of an occasional defensive feature than a credible threat like say the Staff of the Python (itself only uncommon).

The Moonshot Bow
There is a typo in this, it regains charges at dusk (not retains them). Otherwise I like this.

Thunderbell
If you use a charge to convert a spell’s damage to thunder damage, does the 1d8 damage bonus apply? If you use 2 charges to maximize the damage of a thunder spell, is the bonus 1d8 also maximized? I think the answer to both of those is yes, but I am not sure. I think you are undervaluing maximizing spell damage, I would probably increase the cost of that to 3 or 4 charges. I would also add “If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand vanishes with a loud peal of thunder, lost forever.” I think it should be fine as a rare item with those changes.

I think we're a little in the weeds on this. With 6 charges that's 2 conversions and maximizes per day. That's on par with the Storm Cleric's channel divinity at low level and about 1/2 it effectiveness at higher levels (when the cleric has 2/SR).
If you cast Thunder spells (thunderwave/shatter and... Chromatic Orb? Drawing a blank on others), the bonus D8 helps bring them a little closer to counterparts like Fireball or Lightning bolt if upcasting, but if you convert Fireball or Lightning bolt the bonus d8 makes them even better, so if you're maxing out there's incentive to spend the extra charge for a conversion, even if stretching its utility might lead to better #s overall. The d8 would be part of the spells damage, there's no reason to think it wouldn't also deal maximum damage if the charges are spent.
Ah, when I add that rider about the last charge I'll give it 7 charges.

Rocket Hammer
I like this one.
It's one of my favorites.

Thanks again so much for your feedback!