PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Turkey-like Monsters

Thurbane
2022-11-24, 05:32 PM
Hey all,

Just for luls, looking for some turkey-like D&D beasties.

So far I have Cockatrice, Vrock and Hook Horror.

Any other suggestions?

Also, just for the heckuvit, been thinking of statting up an advanced Half-Vrock Cockatrice, using the alternate Half-Fiendish Variety rules.

Cheers - T

hamishspence
2022-11-24, 05:37 PM
Axebeaks from Arms & Equipment Guide, and Terror Birds from Fiend Folio, could work.

Thurbane
2022-11-24, 05:43 PM
Axebeaks from Arms & Equipment Guide, and Terror Birds from Fiend Folio, could work.

Good call, could treat them as "Dire Vultures" :smallbiggrin:

Maat Mons
2022-11-24, 05:43 PM
If you can find stats for a regular turkey, you can probably apply the Titanic Creature template.

DrMartin
2022-11-24, 05:59 PM
achaierai, aka the turkey with four drumsticks?

ShurikVch
2022-11-24, 06:01 PM
Abrian (Fiend Folio)

Vulture Demon (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act2-vulturedemon.shtml) has official (1st-party) stats in Diablo II: To Hell and Back

Riding Bird (Dragon #323)

Flightless Birds (Bestiary of Krynn, Revised)

Kingdoms of Kalamar have Chicken (Dangerous Denizens) and generic Bird (Garden of the Plantmaster)

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-11-24, 06:10 PM
Turkeys are basically Small-sized chickens, mechanically, which are basically these (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm) but with very short-range flying/gliding instead of fully-fledged flight and a significantly higher base speed (as chickens can run quite well over short distances). So upsize the raven entry to Small, then make the flight and land speed changes.

Anthropomorphic turkey?
Were-turkey?
Undead turkey, the other wight meat?

Biggus
2022-11-24, 07:00 PM
Good call, could treat them as "Dire Vultures" :smallbiggrin:

Sandstorm has stats for an actual Dire Vulture.

Thurbane
2022-11-24, 08:17 PM
Sandstorm has stats for an actual Dire Vulture.

Oopsie, meant "Dire Turkeys" lol

loky1109
2022-11-25, 07:07 AM
Deinonychus, Megaraptor.

PrismCat21
2022-11-25, 10:11 AM
I've anyways been partial to Deadborn Vultures from MMV.

Inevitability
2022-11-25, 12:32 PM
Achaierai?

Metastachydium
2022-11-25, 01:09 PM
There's… Literally nothing turkey-like about most of these guys beyond their being birdies. Abrians are ratites; axebeaks and terror birds cariamiforms; deadborn vultures look like condors and I'm not even sure what birdy the achaierai's modelled after (but it's definitely not any kind of grouse).

What's gonna be next? Bloodhawks? Corollaxes? The hieracosphinx? Or maybe chronotyryns and freakin' rocs?

Thurbane
2022-11-25, 04:49 PM
Well, I mean yeah, if you wanna get all technical. I'm something of an ornithophile myself.

However, D&D is a game of imagination, after all. This is just supposed to be a little bit of fun, not an exercise in scientific classification of D&D avians.

ShurikVch
2022-11-25, 05:35 PM
Deinonychus, Megaraptor.
Then Clawfoot, Fastieth (Eberron Campaign Setting), Fleshraker, Swindlespitter (Monster Manual III), and Troodon (Dragon #318)
Maybe, also Needletooth (Monster Manual III) and Compsognathus (Dragon #318)

Particle_Man
2022-11-25, 05:46 PM
There are a lot of shape changing critters in D&D. Some of them could look like turkeys if they wanted to.

Similarly, constructs could be Turkey shaped, like an effigy creature.

Daisy
2022-11-27, 07:53 AM
A Raptorian wizard casting Alter Self :)

Metastachydium
2022-11-27, 12:14 PM
Then Clawfoot, Fastieth (Eberron Campaign Setting), Fleshraker, Swindlespitter (Monster Manual III), and Troodon (Dragon #318)
Maybe, also Needletooth (Monster Manual III) and Compsognathus (Dragon #318)

Cliff Raptor (a web original!) too, by the same token.

Well, I mean yeah, if you wanna get all technical. I'm something of an ornithophile myself.

However, D&D is a game of imagination, after all. This is just supposed to be a little bit of fun, not an exercise in scientific classification of D&D avians.

No, I get that. It's just… I struggle to figure out how an unkillable condor or a cute demon ostrich or an even cuter ball of feathers on four big long legs is turkey-like beyond being a birdy. They don't particularly resemble turkeys in terms of appearance or abilities or temperament.

A Raptorian wizard casting Alter Self :)

Not really. You're thinking PAO. The most a Raptoran (a Humanoid race) can get out of Alter Self on that front is something like Crane/Sparrow Hengeyokai. Or a Kenku (I like Kenkus!). The spell's type-based, rather than clade-based.