PDA

View Full Version : Elevation Changes in Combat

Notafish
2022-11-25, 01:53 PM
For some reason, I thought that there were rules about gaining bonuses from having the high ground in melee combat, but I can't find any. Maybe I'm confusing my editions?

Are there any rules for terrain-based combat bonuses other than the rules for cover and difficult terrain?

RSP
2022-11-25, 02:06 PM
For some reason, I thought that there were rules about gaining bonuses from having the high ground in melee combat, but I can't find any. Maybe I'm confusing my editions?

Are there any rules for terrain-based combat bonuses other than the rules for cover and difficult terrain?

It could be an optional rule in the DMG, like flanking, but it certainly falls under the potential application of the Advantage/ Disadvantage rules:

“The DM can also decide that circumstances influence a roll in one direction or the other and grant advantage or impose disadvantage as a result.”

JackPhoenix
2022-11-25, 05:34 PM
You are confusing your editions, there's no bonus for having higher ground, but there was in 3.x.

Corran
2022-11-25, 11:00 PM
I believe the rule is that if you try to flip over an enemy who has the higher ground on you, your legs fall off. Everything else is up to the DM (advantage/disadvantage being the main tool as mentioned).

LudicSavant
2022-11-25, 11:47 PM
Maybe I'm confusing my editions?

Yes, you're confusing 5e for Star Wars. :smalltongue:

Thunderous Mojo
2022-11-25, 11:51 PM
I believe the rule is that if you try to flip over an enemy who has the higher ground on you, your legs fall off. Everything else is up to the DM (advantage/disadvantage being the main tool as mentioned).

The move that Non Chicken Fried Darth Vader attempts to use on Obi-Wan is the same maneuver Obi-Wan used on Darth Maul in Phantom Menace.

Unoriginal
2022-11-26, 12:52 AM
The move that Non Chicken Fried Darth Vader attempts to use on Obi-Wan is the same maneuver Obi-Wan used on Darth Maul in Phantom Menace.

Very close, but not quite. Obi-Wan jumped above his foe, waited to land, then delivered the strike, while Vader was attempting to strike during the jump, which does a good job negating any advantage the idea could provide (as it forced him to stay within lightsaber range and made the strike have 0 strength behind it).

Furthermore, Obi-Wan used it to sneak-attack Maul after the Sith dropped his guard against who he knew to be a disarmed opponent, when Vader was doing it with Obi-Wan literally looking at him the whole time. Obi-Wan actually tried using that "jump above enemy, land, strike" move against Maul early in the fight, and Maul easily countered it even with Qui-Gon keeping the pressure on the other side, showing the maneuver to be inefficient against targets who aren't surprised.

Of course Obi-Wan knew all that and goaded that pupil of his until he turned evil into trying it,