PDA

View Full Version : Fey Folk in 4th.

Enochi
2007-12-01, 04:19 PM
Hey all in fairly new to the world of Dnd and upon finding out that 4th is only a stones throw away I have decide to put my starting of a campagain off till it comes out in part due to the fact no one at the stores I play at will let me play anything other then Core races and stats from PHB I & II. So that being said I am curious if anyone has any knowledge of the fate of Pixies, Sprites, and others in 4th. I have also heard of tiefling but I am not certain what they are.

Mordokai
2007-12-01, 04:24 PM
Tieflings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm) are basically an offspring of an evil outsider(usually demons) and mortals.

I don't know anything about fey folk of 4th ED.

Somebloke
2007-12-01, 04:28 PM
Hey all in fairly new to the world of Dnd and upon finding out that 4th is only a stones throw away I have decide to put my starting of a campagain off till it comes out in part due to the fact no one at the stores I play at will let me play anything other then Core races and stats from PHB I & II. So that being said I am curious if anyone has any knowledge of the fate of Pixies, Sprites, and others in 4th. I have also heard of tiefling but I am not certain what they are.Well, the Fey plane of existance is now a lot more detailed and relevant...one of the character races (eldarin, elf wizards as opposed to elves, elf rangers) live there now. Almost certainly all other fey will be outsiders from this demiplane rather than from the material plane.

Oh, and it will be harder to convert monsters to races. So no luck there.

Enochi
2007-12-01, 04:36 PM
Watches as his dreamship is shot down.

Karsh
2007-12-01, 04:40 PM
Just do the campaign in 3.5... tons of people still play 2E years after the fact; just because a new edition comes out, it doesn't mean that you can't play older ones.

Drider
2007-12-01, 05:00 PM
Just do the campaign in 3.5... tons of people still play 2E years after the fact; just because a new edition comes out, it doesn't mean that you can't play older ones.

don't the mafia come and burn your old books? I remember reading about that somewhere...

Ramos
2007-12-01, 05:03 PM
They don't burn them-they Balefire them so every present and past result of the use of those books is undone retroactively. :smalltongue:

Enochi
2007-12-01, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately everyone where I play sees pixes as being overpowered....so I currently am only allowed to play core races none of which I particularly care for.

Crow
2007-12-01, 05:17 PM
One of our players is playing an elf with the Fey Heritage feats from Complete Mage. She seems to enjoy it.

Somebloke
2007-12-01, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately everyone where I play sees pixes as being overpowered....so I currently am only allowed to play core races none of which I particularly care for.Homebrew it so that your DM and you reach an agreement.

Enochi
2007-12-01, 06:00 PM
I tried to but he is unfortunately very strict on his rules. And Complete Mage is not allowed. Sighs. Unfortunately that is the closest Dnd game I have found and it is 60 mi away.

CthulhuM
2007-12-01, 06:31 PM
Well, there's not much you can do with such a strict DM. As a rule, the core races provided by Wizards are always going to be basically humanoid. If you want to play something like a pixie, you're going to need to work with a monster race - that's never going to change. 3.5's system works pretty well, at least for low-ECL monster races, but it sounds like doing the same in 4e will require extensive homebrewing. My advice would be to just try and find a less restrictive DM, painful though that may be.

EDIT: 60 miles? Good god, man, where do you live?

Enochi
2007-12-01, 06:37 PM
A place called Statesville NC. I go to Charlotte to play at Game's HQ.

Magnor Criol
2007-12-01, 08:17 PM
If he won't let you use Complete Mage, try suggesting some of the Bloodline variants from Unearthed Arcana. (And there is a Fey bloodline.) They're fairly standardly allowed, I believe, since they're inncluded in the System Reference Document, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) the content that Wizards allows to be freely published and disseminated on the web. Basically, Unearthed Arcana is sort of a collection of alternate rules and variants. As I imagine it, Unearthed Arcana is as close to core as you can get - it seems like all the ideas and mechanics that the designers either thought of, but couldn't figure a way to implement as part of the actual core, or just thought "hey, that'd be cool, but maybe too complex for just the basic rules".

(That's purely my interpretation of UA. Don't hold that up to anything. Unless it helps you convince your DM, in which case, by all means use it. =p )

Moff Chumley
2007-12-01, 09:45 PM
Barring all else, just play your character as a fey. Stat yourself out asan elf or somesuch, and then just call yourself something else. No perfect, but it might work.

Enochi
2007-12-02, 01:26 AM
Eh I was really hoping to play as one of the smaller Fey Folk such as a pixie or sprite or some other Tiny flying annoyance :). But I will have to see what can be done. I have just about all the books of 3.0 and 3.5 on my computer. So I'll start working on some ideas. Maybe if a make a completely balanced idea for the Pixie I could get it to work. Ideas and Builds are welcome!

UserClone
2007-12-02, 11:36 AM
Use the Monster Class from Savage Species.

DraPrime
2007-12-02, 11:56 AM
Dryads are going through a drastic change in looks. Instead of being sexy wood chicks they now look like big lumbering people covered with leaves. As people already said, the Fey get their own plane now.

Crow
2007-12-02, 12:09 PM
Dryads are going through a drastic change in looks. Instead of being sexy wood chicks they now look like big lumbering people covered with leaves.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Wooter
2007-12-02, 12:10 PM
A place called Statesville NC. I go to Charlotte to play at Game's HQ.

You know, I don't actually live that far from there. Nearer to Salisbury, actually. I have trouble finding a group, too.

Edit: and by that I mean I have never played.

DraPrime
2007-12-02, 02:01 PM

I feel your pain.

Enochi
2007-12-02, 03:40 PM
Any other ideas for Pixie Builds?

Somebloke
2007-12-02, 03:46 PM
Just remember rule 0 and hope your DM is a traditionalist....

CthulhuM
2007-12-02, 06:20 PM
Dryads are going through a drastic change in looks. Instead of being sexy wood chicks they now look like big lumbering people covered with leaves. As people already said, the Fey get their own plane now.

Hey, at least there will always be nymphs, right?

Right?

Shas aia Toriia
2007-12-02, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately everyone where I play sees pixes as being overpowered....so I currently am only allowed to play core races none of which I particularly care for.

Overpowered with a +6 LA? How does that work?

Enochi
2007-12-02, 07:15 PM
Beats me. Im still new to the game so perphaps its something I dont understand but our gm is vindictive and must start at lvl 1. Most characters dont survive 3 sessions.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-02, 07:25 PM
You do realise you can't play a 1 HD, ECL 8 character in an ECL 1 game and just take experience penalties until everything evens out, right?

BrokenButterfly
2007-12-02, 07:27 PM
Hey, at least there will always be nymphs, right?

Right?

There'd better be...

I don't mind monsters getting remakes every so often (never liked dryads anyway) just so long as my favourite monsters actually get updated at some time. The bestiary is very likely my favourite aspect of the game In terms of fey I always liked the nymph, shadar-kai and ragewalker (if I got the name right, that war-epitomising fey).

Enochi
2007-12-02, 07:41 PM
You do realise you can't play a 1 HD, ECL 8 character in an ECL 1 game and just take experience penalties until everything evens out, right?

Im trying to understand why I can make a lvl 1 pixie.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-02, 07:48 PM
Im trying to understand why I can make a lvl 1 pixie.

A level 1 Pixie (that is, a Pixie who is a Rogue 1, Wizard 1, etc) is considered to be either a level 5 character (w/o Irresistable Dance) or a level 7 character (w/ Irresistable Dance) for the purpose of experience points and determining an encounter's CR. In other words, a Pixie Rogue 1 without irresistable dance is meant to travel alongside an Elf Wizard 5, a Dwarf Fighter 5, and a Human Cleric 5. You can't start the game at level 1 as a creature with LA: You can only play a creature with LA if the game starts at a higher level. LA is also kind of a raw deal for other reasons, but they don't call it RAW for nothing.

Enochi
2007-12-02, 08:04 PM
Okay 1 what is RAW. 2 What if I use the template from Savage Species?

Satyr
2007-12-02, 08:34 PM
RAW = Rule as written

The templates in Savage Species distributes your racial features over several levels; until you have reached the end of the line, you take levels in Pixie instead of a class.