PDA

View Full Version : Midichlorians make PERFECT sense this way!

Talanic
2007-12-01, 05:06 PM
I was thinking today and an idea struck me about Star Wars: Ep 1. Midichlorians can make sense easily with a little bit of fanon applied to them.

Midichlorians do not cause the Force. The Jedi order was wrong via the causality flaw; they saw that all Jedi they encountered had midichlorians and thought that the presence of midichlorians caused a Jedi to occur. The opposite is true: midichlorians are a form of contagious parasite that feeds on light-side Jedi only. There presence causes the Jedi's control over the Force to be slightly weakened, and blocks the ability to sense users of the dark side entirely. The stronger a Jedi is in the force, the more midichlorians he has, unless he embraces the dark side. Use of or exposure to the dark side kills the midichlorians present in the Jedi's body.

Possibly the Sith developed midichlorians as a way to hide themselves and weaken their opponents.

Looking at it this way, dark Jedi become more powerful immediately on embracing the dark side because this kills off their parasites. Later, when the dark side is ripping them apart from within, the cost outweighs the temporary gain.

This would explain a few things:
1. Palpatine can't be detected via a simple blood test.
2. Jedi fighting Sith do better the longer the fight goes on because the dark force energy their foes use wear down the parasites first
3. Despite losing body mass via the loss of his arm, Anakin gets stronger between episodes 2 and 3 and is able to beat Dooku in their second fight--because he has FEWER midichlorians feeding off of him.
4. Likewise, Luke is stronger against Vader (Luke was initially infected via Obi-Wan) in RoJ than he was in ESB despite the loss of his hand; however, on embracing the dark side in the final fight, he loses the last of his midichlorians (theoretically, at least, the last in the universe) and finally fights with his full strength. By then going on to reject the dark side, he paves the way for a parasite-free Jedi order.
5. Yoda had no midichlorians in ESB. His proximity to the dark side nexus on Dagobah had gradually killed them all off. Luke's arrival re-infected him, leading to his eventual death.

How's this sound? At least as far as the movies and the books I've read (I haven't touched New Jedi Order or beyond), it makes perfect sense.

Somebloke
2007-12-01, 05:12 PM
stop Killing The Catgirls!!!!

Lord Zentei
2007-12-01, 05:21 PM
How's this sound? At least as far as the movies and the books I've read (I haven't touched New Jedi Order or beyond), it makes perfect sense.

Well, it works as far as I can see. I especially like the fact that it eliminates Palpatine's apparent undetectability.

Though ideally they would be eliminated altogether, IMHO. Maybe if we get a "special edition" Episode I, that happy, happy event will occur. :smallwink:

What? :smallconfused:

Emrylon
2007-12-01, 05:39 PM
My AS level Biology teacher used Midiclorians to describe Mitochondria, which if I remember rightly (I failed Biology) produce energy for in cells.

Griemont
2007-12-01, 06:39 PM
You win. :smallbiggrin: I'm not sure what yet. :smallconfused:

Mewtarthio
2007-12-01, 06:59 PM

You know, there's a subtle yet important difference between "applying real world science to a fantasy setting" and "attempting to make sense out of a fantasy setting."

Anyway, I'm in favor of anything that gets rid of that horrific midichlorian idea, and this actually explains a few additional items as well. Well done!

Keris
2007-12-01, 07:15 PM
Congrats, you have succeeded in fixing one of George Lucas's fan alienating blunders. Now we just need to fix Jar-Jar...
Also, the Midichlorians would have survived past RotJ, Luke would have infected Leia.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-01, 07:27 PM
Congrats, you have succeeded in fixing one of George Lucas's fan alienating blunders. Now we just need to fix Jar-Jar...

I personally prefer this explanation. (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/episodes/0017.html)

Emperor Ing
2007-12-01, 07:31 PM
Your theory makes sense, but I have my own version

Excellent, I have your attention, I hope.

Still, I agree, Midichlorians are NOT the cause of the force
But I dont think it makes them weaker.
The Dark Side and the Light Side of the force are simply 2 sides of the same thing, the left and right half of the see-saw if you will. I believe that the midichlorians are a side effect of force strength. They feed off the force, the same way Kreia said lightsaber crystals do in KoToR II, that they feed off the excess force energies. The more grain poured into your basket at once, the more will overflow, and the more can be scavenged from the outside, so because there is more grain to feed off of, the more bugs can survive off the grain. (im not sure what insects feed off grain, but im just using it as a metaphor).

Dervag
2007-12-01, 07:56 PM
My AS level Biology teacher used Midiclorians to describe Mitochondria, which if I remember rightly (I failed Biology) produce energy for in cells.Midichlorians are a made-up Star Wars thing which is inspired by mitochondria, so that makes sense.

Mitochondria (the real-world things) are actually interesting. All multicelled life forms rely on them to produce the high-energy chemicals they need to keep going; you do remember rightly. In fact, even among single-celled organisms with a nucleus (such as amoebas), most of them have mitochondria.

Moreover, mitochondria have their own DNA instead of being produced by the DNA of the cell they live inside like the other structures within a cell. Their DNA resembles that of certain kinds of primitive single-celled organisms called 'prokaryotes', which do not have a nucleus and whose DNA just floats around freely inside.

This suggests that mitochondria were at one time in the very distant past independent organisms, prokaryotes of some kind, and that the mitochondria eventually entered other cells and got into a symbiotic relationship with them, in which the host cell fed the mitochondria nutrients and got high-energy chemicals in exchange.

If that theory is true, then the symbiosis must have happened a very long time ago, something like 2 billion years.

Because of the way reproduction works, in almost all plant and animal species mitochondria (and the DNA inside them that codes for their behaviors) are inherited from the mother.

So we can reasonably say that the original poster's theory is that Star Wars midichlorians are actually a sort of anti-mitochondria, a parasite instead of a symbiote.

Congrats, you have succeeded in fixing one of George Lucas's fan alienating blunders. Now we just need to fix Jar-Jar...Well, Jar Jar's role in the plot doesn't have to be fulfilled by a bumbling moron. The events of the movie would proceed in essentially the same way if Jar Jar were a basically competent being who sounded 'normal', or at least did not sound like a mockery of an ethnic stereotype.

Luke would have infected Leia.Can these things be passed on to people with Force ability who don't use it? I'm not saying they can't; I'm just not quite sure.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-01, 08:15 PM
Can these things be passed on to people with Force ability who don't use it? I'm not saying they can't; I'm just not quite sure.

Anakin had never recieved any formal training, but he still ranked "off-the-charts" on a midichlorian test. Additionally, the Jedi presumably use midichlorian testing to hunt down, abduct, and brainwash locate, recruit, and train potentials at very young ages.

Talanic
2007-12-01, 09:02 PM
Anakin was heavily into Force use when first encountered in Ep1. He was using it for the podraces; he was already active.

Leia wasn't. If we're assuming they're extinct (preferred result, right?) then they must not hop onto hosts that aren't active Force users.

Talkkno
2007-12-01, 09:27 PM
hunt down, abduct, and brainwash locate, recruit, and train potentials at very young ages.
The only known incidence of anything like that happening was on Outbound Flight by Jedi Master Jorrus C'Boath, even then, several other jedi knights and masters that were also on board protested his decisions.

Emperor Ing
2007-12-01, 09:30 PM
My theory is that Midis (shortened) arent what you say they are. You say theyre parasites. I think its more of a mutagenic relation, where the host doesnt get benefited or harmed, but the symbiote is benefited.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-01, 09:59 PM
Anakin was heavily into Force use when first encountered in Ep1. He was using it for the podraces; he was already active.

True, but he didn't know he was using the Force. My point was that Force-Sensitives use the Force naturally. Even without training, Anakin was tapping in to the Force to enhance his reactions during such fast-paced, trying times as the podraces, and he was, what, ten years old? By the time Leia last sees Luke before he's purged himself of the midichlorians (that is, their talk in the Ewok villiage), she's already spent most of her life acting as an agent of a galaxy-wide rebellion.

For now, let's disregard the entire EU save for the movies, because I'm not very good with the EU. We know from deleted scenes in Episode III that Leia's father, Bail Organa, was one of the first members of the group of dissidents that would eventually become the Rebel Alliance. By ANH, Leia is already essentially a spy. That alone would provide enough tense moments that she'd have surely relied on the Force at some point or another (I'd say she's even more likely than Luke to have "manifested"--The story probably would have been quite different if Bail had known a way to contact Obi-Wan). She's also got plenty of battlefield experience: She doesn't seem even a little unnerved during the shootout in the cramped Death Star corridors. In RotJ she gets a spot in one of the most important commando raids the Rebel Alliance has ever undertaken.

In short, I believe that Leia has already used the Force, albeit subtly, by the time RotJ rolls around. At the very least, what she's experienced both on- and off-screen probably amounts to far more than podracing. Granted, it's possible that Anakin only relied on the Force when he did because he was such an incredibly powerful individual, and his children (with a mother who never showed the slightest bit of Force Sensitivity) would not share his connection, but the way the Force is described (a natural field that connects all life) implies that it is possible to use it naturally and without training, even if you can't float rocks with your mind until you've trained.

Turcano
2007-12-01, 10:07 PM
The only known incidence of anything like that happening was on Outbound Flight by Jedi Master Jorrus C'Boath, even then, several other jedi knights and masters that were also on board protested his decisions.

And Revan. Don't forget Revan.

My theory is that Midis (shortened) arent what you say they are. You say theyre parasites. I think its more of a mutagenic relation, where the host doesnt get benefited or harmed, but the symbiote is benefited.

That's called commensalism. It's another valid interpretation, but the idea of midiclorians as parasites is more lulzy.

Somebloke
2007-12-02, 05:41 AM
Well, it works as far as I can see. I especially like the fact that it eliminates Palpatine's apparent undetectability.

Though ideally they would be eliminated altogether, IMHO. Maybe if we get a "special edition" Episode I, that happy, happy event will occur. :smallwink:

What? :smallconfused:

I think that you're attempting to apply science to an attempt to add bad science to what was a very good original idea. Personally, I think the whole midichlorians never worked, and is something best dropped altogether- attempting to explain just grates on my sensibilities.

I am firmly in the 'put hands over ears and pretend I never saw that scene' party.

Lord Zentei
2007-12-02, 01:26 PM
I think that you're attempting to apply science to an attempt to add bad science to what was a very good original idea. Personally, I think the whole midichlorians never worked, and is something best dropped altogether- attempting to explain just grates on my sensibilities.

I am doing nothing, you are confusing me with the OP. While I liked the OP's idea of changing the midichlorians, I also expressed my opinion that I would rather do away with midichlorians altogether: see the post you're quoting.

But you seem to be contradicting yourself: "add bad science to what was a very good original idea", and then you say that the "midichlorians never worked"?

PS: AFAIK the whole "kill the catgirls" meme is only applied when one attempts to introduce real world physics into fantasy, not when one tries to rationalize something that is, for better or worse, canon in a fantasy (quite part from the fact that the expression was un-funny and tiresome even when it was new, and that I am, to say the least, not a fan of the "no science" philosophy it represents).

Renegade Paladin
2007-12-02, 01:33 PM
Besides that, slaughtering catgirls is an excellent and admirable thing. :smalltongue:

2007-12-02, 02:11 PM
No, the way midicholrians make sense is to completely ignore them.

Same way that Boba Fett comming back to life after being eaten by the sarlacc makes sense.

Renegade Paladin
2007-12-02, 02:19 PM
Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc is a little out there, but at least it isn't stupidly impossible. After all, the thing doesn't chew, apparently has stomach acid so weak it takes a thousand years to fully digest its prey, and Fett was wearing sealed combat armor with a wide variety of weapons. And he did almost die after blasting his way out.

DraPrime
2007-12-02, 02:27 PM
This may make some sense this way, but it's not thew way midichlorians work. No, it's more like this: Jedi are powerful because they've got algae in their blood, not because they're some awesome mystical warriors who have powerful minds.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-12-02, 02:34 PM
Now we just need to fix Jar-Jar...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3674388/2/istockphoto_3674388_sniper_rifle.jpg

Catch
2007-12-02, 02:40 PM
3. Despite losing body mass via the loss of his arm, Anakin gets stronger between episodes 2 and 3 and is able to beat Dooku in their second fight--because he has FEWER midichlorians feeding off of him.

Then, having lost the majority of his body at the end of Revenge of the Sith, Anakin would be far stronger as Vader. This is not the case. If you read Star Wars literature, you'll lean that much of Anakin's power was lost after the battle on Mufastar. Confined in his exosuit, he could barely walk, let alone fight. Were the "midichlorian parasite" hypothesis true, Vader would have been one of the most powerful Force users ever, not a mechanical gimp.

It makes little sense at all. Were any of it true, Master Yoda would have been one of the weakest Jedi who ever lived, what with his massive midichlorian count. Were any of it true, the Sith would have no trouble defeating the Jedi, what with their unhindered access to the Force, and the Jedi Order wouldn't have been the dominating Force tradition in the Galaxy.

So no. You're grasping at straws here, but the effort is understandable. It's just not possible to fill plot holes as easily as George Lucas makes them.

2007-12-02, 02:50 PM
Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc is a little out there, but at least it isn't stupidly impossible.

I just have an irrational hatred of Boba Fett.

He has, what, four lines over the course of all the movies, and shoots like two blasts at Luke, then very ineffectively ties him up before being defeated by a blind man with a metal pole.

Yet people think he's uberbadass.

/shrug

Hopeless
2007-12-02, 03:15 PM
I personally prefer this explanation. (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/episodes/0017.html)

And I have to say its a remarkably good explanation!

Many thanks for the link, I have to say its reduced me to tears of joy!

Take care and all the best!

Somebloke
2007-12-02, 03:29 PM
I am doing nothing, you are confusing me with the OP. While I liked the OP's idea of changing the midichlorians, I also expressed my opinion that I would rather do away with midichlorians altogether: see the post you're quoting.

But you seem to be contradicting yourself: "add bad science to what was a very good original idea", and then you say that the "midichlorians never worked"?

PS: AFAIK the whole "kill the catgirls" meme is only applied when one attempts to introduce real world physics into fantasy, not when one tries to rationalize something that is, for better or worse, canon in a fantasy (quite part from the fact that the expression was un-funny and tiresome even when it was new, and that I am, to say the least, not a fan of the "no science" philosophy it represents).
Good idea: The force
Bad idea slapped onto it to explain it: midichlorians
Good idea slapped onto it to explain it: OP.

In sort, you have another layer of explanation on top of something that is already very convoluted. It just seems unecessary, that is all. As for the no science/science aspect, this is something we would have to disagree on; Star Wars was never really meant to be hard-science, and suffers from high-science weilded onto it. Just my view.

I apologise for the confusion with you and the OP; I meant to reference the OP as such, but it was late last night.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-02, 04:15 PM
But the entire point of fanon is to justify things in incredibly convoluted ways! Why would we go for the simple explanation? :confused:

As a side note, I agree that Star Wars is not hard sci-fi (really, the only science fiction elements in there are the droids and prosthetics, and I'm not even sure about them). However, we're not applying the laws of science to midichlorians. We're desperately trying to re-define the world so that it doesn't fill us with a mixture of horror and disdain.

Lord Zentei
2007-12-02, 06:58 PM
Good idea: The force
Bad idea slapped onto it to explain it: midichlorians
Good idea slapped onto it to explain it: OP.

In sort, you have another layer of explanation on top of something that is already very convoluted. It just seems unecessary, that is all.

Well, whatever. It's not my position anyway.

As for the no science/science aspect, this is something we would have to disagree on; Star Wars was never really meant to be hard-science, and suffers from high-science weilded onto it. Just my view.

Science can be used to quantify the level of power that would be necessary for the observed effects to be manifest, going by suspension of disbelief. That has no bearing on what the original intent was. It does not detract from one's ability to simply enjoy the show as well, contrary to what some claim; it's merely another layer of enjoyment that can be had from it. That's one reason why I hold the "don't kill the catgirls" philosophy in very low esteem.

That aside, that's not really what is being done here. It's an attempt at rationalization, not quantification by science per se.

I apologise for the confusion with you and the OP; I meant to reference the OP as such, but it was late last night.

Yeah, sure.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-02, 07:52 PM
Midchlorians are a hoax, just like global warming and second-hand smoke.

Micate
2007-12-02, 08:10 PM
Did anyone see the South Park episode on Scientology?

Mediclorian tests performed by the jedi are probably the same as the tests for (I forget what they were called) performed in that episode. It's a made up number that the jedi master arbitrarily assigns (possibly without realizing it, the force is something natural occurring in all living things, so who's to say the tests weren't just seeing how much the jedi performing them could subconsciously muck up the results?) based on how much force sensitivity he assumes the person he's testing has. This explains why palpatine never showed up on any tests, because everyone just assumed he had no force sensitivity.

There, they don't exist, AND there's a reason. Thank you, good night.

dwagiebard
2007-12-02, 08:28 PM
I think midichlorians are a combination of what George has figured out about how the world works, and using them for a plot device.

Copacetic
2007-12-02, 09:18 PM
Mitochondria: Power producing thing.
Mediclorians: Force producing thing.

Mabye Mediclorians are like Mitochondira, or mabye even Hyper-Advanced Mitochondria, Producing Energy JUST LIKE MITOCHONDRIA!

Dervag
2007-12-03, 12:20 AM
Mitochondria: Power producing thing.
Mediclorians: Force producing thing.

Mabye Mediclorians are like Mitochondira, or mabye even Hyper-Advanced Mitochondria, Producing Energy JUST LIKE MITOCHONDRIA!Well, that's what Lucas was thinking, insofar as he was thinking.

But hey, he replaced the "Ewok Dance Music" number at the end of Return of the Jedi with a better track. For that, I will forgive him much.

kpenguin
2007-12-03, 01:08 AM
But hey, he replaced the "Ewok Dance Music" number at the end of Return of the Jedi with a better track. For that, I will forgive him much.

WHAT?! You didn't like the "yub-nub" song?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-03, 01:18 AM
Did anyone see the South Park episode on Scientology?

Mediclorian tests performed by the jedi are probably the same as the tests for (I forget what they were called) performed in that episode. It's a made up number that the jedi master arbitrarily assigns (possibly without realizing it, the force is something natural occurring in all living things, so who's to say the tests weren't just seeing how much the jedi performing them could subconsciously muck up the results?) based on how much force sensitivity he assumes the person he's testing has. This explains why palpatine never showed up on any tests, because everyone just assumed he had no force sensitivity.

There, they don't exist, AND there's a reason. Thank you, good night.

So, Obi-Wan believed Anakin would have an impossibly high midichlorian count of over twenty thousaaaaand?

Dervag
2007-12-03, 01:32 AM
WHAT?! You didn't like the "yub-nub" song?No. I did not.

It has its virtues. It has a nice beat, and you can dance to it, if you are the approximate size of a koala bear. As dance music for Ewoks, it is no doubt a superb piece of musical composition.

I am not an Ewok in need of dance music.

Brickwall
2007-12-03, 02:17 AM
Midichlorians can't make sense. Here's why.

Star Wars has remarkably advanced medical technology. Anything short of death can be healed somehow. Midichlorians are observable microbes. We can conclude the following.

Doctors would observe and analyze midichlorians.
Doctors would find a way to transplant midichlorians.
Doctors could give everyone force powers.

Or, alternately, assuming the OP is correct.

Doctors would find a cure for midichlorians. It might involve something similar to chemotherapy, but force users can enter trances that heal them remarkably. With less midichlorians, this would be even easier. Eventually, all children diagnosed with midichlorians would be trained at an early age to withstand the treatment, given it, then take Jedi training. Eventually, midichlorians would be cured. No more midichlorians.

Micate
2007-12-03, 02:40 AM
So, Obi-Wan believed Anakin would have an impossibly high midichlorian count of over twenty thousaaaaand?

Yea, why not? He knew Anakin was force attuned, and apparently was a strong believer in the whole "one who will bring balance to the force" prophecy, who's to say he didn't delude himself into believing Anakin had uber midi's as a way of trying to fulfill said prophecy?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-03, 04:38 AM
Midichlorians can't make sense. Here's why.
*snip*

Third option: Midichlorians are drawn to Force Sensitives, and feed off the Force, but in neither a parasitic nor symbiotic fashion. They simply congregate in higher numbers in Force Sensitives.

Yea, why not? He knew Anakin was force attuned, and apparently was a strong believer in the whole "one who will bring balance to the force" prophecy, who's to say he didn't delude himself into believing Anakin had uber midi's as a way of trying to fulfill said prophecy?

But surely Qui-Gon wasn't the only Jedi in the galaxy who believed in the prophecy. And if midichlorians don't exist, surely some powerful Force Sensitives would have been discovered later in life. Consequentially, Anakin can't have been the first person to be diagnosed with a midichlorian count "off the charts." The Jedi Council wouldn't have paid any attention to Anakin's ridiculous midichlorian count in that case.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-03, 05:05 AM
You know, there's a subtle yet important difference between "applying real world science to a fantasy setting" and "attempting to make sense out of a fantasy setting."

Anyway, I'm in favor of anything that gets rid of that horrific midichlorian idea, and this actually explains a few additional items as well. Well done!

Isen't Star Wars Sci-Fi, though? I think the catgirls are safe.

And that's an interesting take on the mitho thing. Personally, I never get that "Jedis doesn't have powers, they actually mind-control micro-organisms that have the power" stuff, even if it's considered official.

The funny thing about this version is that the dark side was stronger just because they cheated :smallbiggrin:

Talanic
2007-12-03, 12:05 PM
Midichlorians work as a secret plague but not as a cause for the force due to the medical technology involved.

If midichlorians are like mitochondria, it becomes a very basic procedure - probably capable with TODAY's medical technology - to infuse someone with them. You just have to start early, infusing the fertilized egg.

Also, all mitochondria come from women. Males do not pass them on in any way, shape, or form; modern science can even establish female lineage (your mother's mother's mother's mother etc) because mitochondrial DNA doesn't mix. Barring mutation, a mother always passes the same mitochondrial DNA to all of her children; her daughters will pass on the same to their children, but her sons will not.

If midichlorians are supposed to be like mitochondria, the comparison falls apart REALLY fast. Jedi would always be born of force-sensitive mothers, regardless of who their fathers were. A "midichlorian count" also sounds absurd. Their names sound vaguely similar and that's it.

Whereas the Jedi believing that midichlorians are beneficial prevents them from seeking to cure themselves. After all, only Jedi have midichlorians; that means midichlorians CAUSE Jedi, right? They've confused cause and effect (as the moronic librarian in Ep2 proves, the old order was easily confused) and aren't investigating what midichlorians DO to them.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-03, 03:14 PM
Isen't Star Wars Sci-Fi, though? I think the catgirls are safe.

Let's not start that discussion.

No. It's fantasy with spaceships and lasers.

Green Bean
2007-12-04, 10:23 PM
Third option: Midichlorians are drawn to Force Sensitives, and feed off the Force, but in neither a parasitic nor symbiotic fashion. They simply congregate in higher numbers in Force Sensitives.

This is the theory I personally subscribe to. There's already the precedent of Force-Sensitive animals, and it keeps the Force mystical.

multilis
2007-12-05, 12:52 AM
Jar Jar
Anakin was mostly a clone of Palpatine, but genetically spliced to have the stupid natural force luck of the Jar Jar. Anakin was secretly artificially inseminated into Shmi.

Jar Jar drove Anakin crazy, always interupting him when he snuck off to romance Padme. (Jar Jar's stupid force luck guided him to his 'son') Later Palpatine explains that Jar Jar is sort of 'dad' which drives Anakin over the edge and in a burst of fury he chops Jar Jar in half, becoming Darth Vader (Vader comes from Vai [End/Kill] and Der [Derogatory term for Gungan])

This is the true story. Politically correct revisionists forced Lucas to sway from the truth due to the current racism towards and previous genocide of Jar Jar's Gungan race.

horseboy
2007-12-05, 01:49 AM
Your theory makes sense, but I have my own version

Mine: The real George Lucas was abducted by the same aliens that have taken $elloutica, Jim Davis, Bill Watterson and Gary Larson. Then they were replaced with evil synthoids designed to make entertainment suck as hard as possible.

Turcano
2007-12-05, 02:11 AM
Mine: The real George Lucas was abducted by the same aliens that have taken $elloutica, Jim Davis, Bill Watterson and Gary Larson. Then they were replaced with evil synthoids designed to make entertainment suck as hard as possible.

That theory violates the Law of Star Wars Quality:

The quality of a Star Wars film is inversely proportional to George Lucas' direct involvement in said film.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-05, 08:44 PM
Are you sure? Last I checked, George Lucas had absolutely zero involvement with the film of the Star Wars Kid.

Turcano
2007-12-05, 09:18 PM
I meant real Star Wars films.

turkishproverb
2007-12-05, 09:24 PM
I meant real Star Wars films.

He wasn't really involved in the SW Holiday Special.

Turcano
2007-12-06, 01:56 AM
Not only was that a TV special, I don't think anything could have saved that piece of dreck.

goat835
2008-01-13, 07:47 PM
Sigh...what a waste. I'm not distrurbed at spending so much time and so much applied knowledge on something as trivial as midichlorians as much as I am that your conclusions are wrong. Let's tackle these one by one.
1) In none of the movies did Palpatine ever submit to a blood test.
2) If jedi do better against sith the longer the fight goes on, than why wasn't Yoda able to beat Palpatineat the end of episode 3? In every instance where Jedi beat sith after long battles, it's because of simple reasons, like the very bad judgement call by Anakin at the end of Ep3.
3) But your talking about Anakin's trasition from teenager to adult, in the missing years between 2 and 3. To contradict your theory, he did lose power after his battle with Obi Wan, reducing him to a shadow of his former self. This is the reason that Sidious coveted Luke throughout 5 and 6.
4) Luke is more powerful against Darth in 6 than in 5, because he completed his training under Yoda.
5) Wouldn't any "dark side nexus" have killed off all of Luke's midichlorians also? thus making him more powerful in ESB? your arguments contradict one another.

Okay, parasites is a neat argument. But the fact remains that when you take into acount the narrative of the films, it doesn't work. So here's what you do: ignore it. Star Wars isn't real. And now suddely, the world is at peace.

P.S. - How do you teach a cat girl to swim? Put it in a burlap sack and toss it off a bridge.

Oslecamo
2008-01-14, 08:48 AM
No, you got it a little wrong. Everybody in the SW worlds has plenty of midichlorians, and they grant force powers.

You can see this because the blaster shots that are easily able to reduce fortifications to rubble only make living beings jump in the sky with some burns. Clearly the midichlorians are constantly making a force field effect that deflects blaster shots

Midichlorians also like to mess up with the weather, making planets in the SW universe have the same ecosystem al around.

They also feed the people of the capital, since when you've got a city that covers the entire planet, where the hell the food comes from?

Midichlorians also cause machines to malfuction, wich explains why Vader has that muffled breathing sound even if he has the best technology armor for himself.

It also causes several kinds of mental disease, like Vader saying the Death Star is nothing compared to the power of the force, when is the freaking death Star that is doing all the hard work like finding rebels and blowing them up.

Whoracle
2008-01-14, 09:47 AM
I don't know if it's been brought up, but I have always wondered about this Midi-related stupidity.

Let's assume
a) Midis are in force-users blood
b) Midis let you use the force
c) The more Midis a force user has, the more powerful he is

So, in this case, why does no one simply extract the Midichlorians from some dead Jedi Masters blood, pump them into a syringe, inject it into your system and *bang* Insta-Uber-Jedi-Sith-Thingy?

I would go for it :smallbiggrin:

Tormsskull
2008-01-14, 10:33 AM
I never understood why everyone freaked out so much about the midichlorians thing. It was simply supposed to be a pseudo-scientific way of explaining someone's affinity with the Force.

As far as extrapolating from there and wondering why no one had attempted to remove midichlorians from one person to another, maybe it can't work that way? I think a lot of people just analyzed it too much.

Zenos
2008-01-14, 10:39 AM
My personal theory is that the Midchlorians aren't actually responsible for the force but flocks to beings with great force sensitivity. Just like fungi flocks to wet and dark places.

Indon
2008-01-14, 11:54 AM
Now we just need to fix Jar-Jar...

Jar-Jar is the subject of the Prophecy that brought balance to the Force, by facilitating the events that lead to the death of almost all Jedi.

Vader was a chump - he tried to unbalance things again.

Jar-Jar's impossible luck is thus simply explained - the Force manifests itself like 'luck' in untrained individuals (such as Han Solo, also strong in the Force). Jar-Jar's attunement is so strong that circumstances become outright absurd around him, and this is to be expected.

Prophaniti
2008-01-14, 12:02 PM
I like it, Indon. It makes sense, works, and fixes continuity errors that no one else could be bothered to fix in just a few sentences. Nice work.

Eita
2008-01-14, 06:37 PM
And Revan. Don't forget Revan.

Wasn't Revan a Sith? :smallconfused: