PDA

View Full Version : Axis and Allies

Gaelbert
2007-12-01, 09:38 PM
Seeing as Christmas is coming up, and I need to make a Christmas list, I have been filled with an interest in Axis and Allies. I do enjoy studying/reading about WW2, and I also like strategy games. So, I pose these questions to those of you who own Axis and Allies: Is it any good? What are its strengths? What is not so good about it? Is it worth purchasing?

doliest
2007-12-01, 10:02 PM
I think there are two differernt PC versions-what does the cover look like?

Falkus
2007-12-01, 10:07 PM
I got a copy of the board game (I assume that's what you're referring to) a few years ago. It's fun, but it just takes too damn long to finish a game.

Hawriel
2007-12-01, 11:10 PM
The PC game rolls eather all 6s or 1s, usualy when you dont want them. I say get the board game and make it a day of gaming with your friends, or a week end. you can play the PC game over the net but, Id rather play it in person.

Riffington
2007-12-01, 11:54 PM
The board game is fun, in a beer and pretzels kind of way.
The problem is this:
it takes 4-5 hours, so many people might think that is too long.
And it's got lots of intimidating pieces, so people who aren't into complicated board games might get scared.
But it's not super complicated, so people who love their wargames complicated might be unsatisfied.

So basically, it could be played with the group you'd play D&D with, or with beer available. Or both :)

Gaelbert
2007-12-02, 12:44 AM
Yes, I was speaking of the board game version. Also, how many players are optimal?

Logic
2007-12-02, 03:49 AM
A full 5 is required to be optimal. Barring that, any number is still ok, as long as the guy(s) that is controlling more than one country are not overwhelmed by it.

Prophaniti
2007-12-02, 03:54 AM
The board game is awesome, we had it and played it to death. We got one expansion for it but I can't remeber what it was called, only that it added half-battleships and a few other things, and had rules for running France (like anyone would want to:smalltongue: )

As for number of players... 3-4 I think. It can be done with two which is fun if you don't mind keeping track of more and that one person gets 3 nations (we always split it Axis/Allies when we did this). 5 of course sounds great, everyone gets there own nation, but in practice can get too cluttered and sometimes people can get bored as the action leaves the territories they have access to.

Great game, definitely recommend it. Have fun!

Dragoon
2007-12-02, 02:16 PM
Optimally, it depends on what you have. If you have people who can work well together, then it works with more people. But I have played a few games with two people, it gets easier once someone slightly knows there plan of attack is. Especially gets difficult for the allies if they can't work together.

A quick review. Assuming revised version There's also Europe, Pacific, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, and Guadalcanal (soon to be out). Haven't played the other versions.

Strength- Game very close to balanced, unlike the original version.
Variety of units, each having there own abilities.
No situations were if one person rolls only ones that you can do anything, unless of course your rolling sixes.
There are multiple strategies that can work, so the game is not forced played a certain way.

Weakness- Not as accurate, due to rebalancing.
There is a slight misbalance between the two sides, though it isn't noticeable until the higher level of play.

Just curious to all the other Axis and Allies players, does your board have destroyers and artillery?