PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Tactics VS Dragons

Nonah_Me
2007-12-01, 09:42 PM
Sokay, my DM wanted to run a level 1 game (which I'm ALL for) but some of our players are having problems letting go of their level 10 characters.

So my DM has decided to test the limits of our level 10 characters. He plans on throwing a couple of CR 13 dragons and a level 13 wizard at us.

Here is our pary makeup (as I can remember it, it's been a week and I'm at work):

Level 11 gnome wizard with an unfortunate penchant for blasting
Level 10 human beguiler (me)
Level 5/5 halfling rogue/assasin
and the last person of our group, who's rolling up a new character, which will be either a straight Druid 10 or some combination of Druid and Master of Many Forms (MoMF I think is from Complete Adventurer).

I don't really care about what my companions are going to do, but what tactics should a beguiler of my level use against the dragons? I figured on Mind Fog + Dominate should take care of the Wizard.

Ideas? I am totally able to simply go invis and run away. It would be anti-climactic, but poetic justice concidering what some of my companions have done in the past.

deadseashoals
2007-12-01, 10:14 PM
There's no reason to use mind fog on the wizard. If he fails the will save to be affected by mind fog, you may as well have used another spell. Instead, use feeblemind on the wizard, and I'd recommend lots of solid fogs for the dragons.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-01, 10:43 PM
Wizard? Feeblemind. Dragons? Your highest-level save-or-sucks. Use Greater Mirror Image to keep yourself safe.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-12-01, 10:56 PM
Feeblemind has a willsave. You could try spamming it.

Jack_Simth
2007-12-01, 10:59 PM
Anything that relies on a dragon failing it's save is a recipe for a quick trip to the graveyard. Dragons get monk-perfect saves and more HD than CR.

Don't zap the dragon - buff the party.

Nonah_Me
2007-12-01, 11:28 PM
I plan on buffing the party as much as possible, however, that's one of the reasons I didn't want to simply feeblemind the wizard. Dominate him and I could get the wizard to use his spells on the dragons. Then, if all else fails, I feeblemind him.

Thanks for the suggestions.

deadseashoals
2007-12-02, 12:26 AM
I plan on buffing the party as much as possible, however, that's one of the reasons I didn't want to simply feeblemind the wizard. Dominate him and I could get the wizard to use his spells on the dragons. Then, if all else fails, I feeblemind him.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If the wizard knows he's facing you, he's likely to cast protection from evil or magic circle against evil. You'd need to dispel him first, and even then, he gets a will save, which is not exactly going to be easy to break. Feeblemind gives you that extra -4 penalty to the save.

Nonah_Me
2007-12-02, 12:45 AM
True. That would depend upon my DM, however. I'll change tactics as they come up.

I would love to see him cast Prot. from Evil just to be dominated by my Chaotic Neutral character anyway.

Jack_Simth
2007-12-02, 12:54 AM
True. That would depend upon my DM, however. I'll change tactics as they come up.

I would love to see him cast Prot. from Evil just to be dominated by my Chaotic Neutral character anyway.

The suppression of domination-type effects works regardless of alignment. Protection from Evil will stop you from being Dominated (or at least, suppress the control for the duration) from a CN character just fine.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-12-02, 01:42 AM

Prot from Alignment doesn't work like you seem to think it does.

Starbuck_II
2007-12-02, 01:54 AM
Sokay, my DM wanted to run a level 1 game (which I'm ALL for) but some of our players are having problems letting go of their level 10 characters.

So my DM has decided to test the limits of our level 10 characters. He plans on throwing a couple of CR 13 dragons and a level 13 wizard at us.

Here is our pary makeup (as I can remember it, it's been a week and I'm at work):

Level 11 gnome wizard with an unfortunate penchant for blasting
Level 10 human beguiler (me)
Level 5/5 halfling rogue/assasin
and the last person of our group, who's rolling up a new character, which will be either a straight Druid 10 or some combination of Druid and Master of Many Forms (MoMF I think is from Complete Adventurer).

I don't really care about what my companions are going to do, but what tactics should a beguiler of my level use against the dragons? I figured on Mind Fog + Dominate should take care of the Wizard.

Ideas? I am totally able to simply go invis and run away. It would be anti-climactic, but poetic justice concidering what some of my companions have done in the past.

Glitterdust to blind the Dragon. That way as long as you stay out of blindsense he can't find you (he can if invisible in this raduis so blind is a better idea).

Grease since Dragons have terrible reflex saves.

Ganurath
2007-12-02, 02:01 AM
Glitterdust to blind the Dragon. That way as long as you stay out of blindsense he can't find you (he can if invisible in this raduis so blind is a better idea).

Grease since Dragons have terrible reflex saves.And, apparently, no ranks in Balance. Flat footed dragons, meet the party assassin. Assassin, meet sneak attack victims.

The_Snark
2007-12-02, 02:28 AM
Grease... is not terribly useful when dragons can fly. The assassin either gets in one attack, or was already next to the dragon... which isn't really a good idea.

My advice? Use illusions to distract the dragon to give your party members a chance to kill it. Buff party members with Haste and Displacement if you can, use Greater Mirror Image to avoid dragony death if they go for you.

Solid Fog can slow a dragon down very nicely while your wizard lobs area spells into it. If you have nothing else left to do, you can try hitting the dragons with Charm Monster or Confusion, but they have good Will saves...

Feeblemind will work well on the wizard, as has been said.

If your party members aren't proving capable of taking down the dragons even with your assistance, go invisible and make a break for it.

nerulean
2007-12-02, 08:52 AM
Get some wands or scrolls with ray spells. Ray of dizziness (which our beguiler dragonslayer picked up through advanced learning anyway) on the dragons will stop their pesky full attacks in case anyone ends up close to one, and then the way's clear for good old broken shivering touch. Even ray of clumsiness would hurt their AC and give your blaster a better chance of getting his saves past their reflex.

Kioran
2007-12-02, 09:23 AM
Enervation or Ray of Exhaustion, from scrolls if necessesary, to soften up the Dragon. Enervation plays hell wiith the offensive capabilities and saves of the Dragon, so itīs a good idea if you have no other ideas, allthough itīs a little difficult to surpass the SR. Maybe buy scrolls at a higher CL. Same goes for Ray of Exhaustion - two rays later, the Dragon loses half his actions, some AC and AB, and people can safely venture near him to stab the sucker......

Frosty
2007-12-02, 02:05 PM
If all else fails, spam Ray of Stupidity if you learned it. It's slow, but the dragon is guaranteed to go down eventually. And meanwhile, it'll get dumber with its tactics.

If you're brave, you can UMD Shivering Touch from a wand or scroll. Don't forgot a scroll of Assay Spell Resistance.

Thrawn183
2007-12-02, 02:31 PM
Physical buffs and defenses are nice, but don't forge about those breath weapons!

At a certain point they could just spam the things in your general area and even if your entire party made every save, you'd all still go down.