PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Animal Companion at first level

Condé
2022-12-10, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone,

Have seen a lot of handbook, went through lot of classes and ACF and stuff... But I still wonder, because you never know, is there any other class that can have an animal companion at first level beside these:
- Druid (obviously)
- ACF Bard (Trading what makes you a bard to get a AC like a druid)
- ACF Wizard/Sorcerer (Trade your familiar for an AC, like a Ranger)
- Wild Cohort (Feat. Not great since it doesn't specify how to recover your ac if it dies)

And that is only from the top of my head... I might be forgetting something, not sure.

It seems only casters have this option.

Anything else?

Inevitability
2022-12-10, 10:39 AM
A giant (Huge or bigger, I think) spellcaster can summon certain familiars much bigger than the norm, which is kind of like having an animal companion. Rules for it appear in the DMG, I believe.

Crake
2022-12-10, 11:49 AM
Rangers don't get their AC until level 4, so a sorc/wizard trading out their familiar for an AC would also not get one until level 4, since it's "as ranger"

Anthrowhale
2022-12-10, 12:11 PM
Rangers don't get their AC until level 4, so a sorc/wizard trading out their familiar for an AC would also not get one until level 4, since it's "as ranger"

I don't think it says (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard) "as ranger"?

Thurbane
2022-12-10, 04:03 PM
Shaman (OA p.22): note this is the 3.0 version of how animal companion worked, but IMHO the conversion to 3.5 should mean it works the same as Druid.

Crake
2022-12-11, 03:37 AM
I don't think it says (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard) "as ranger"?

Shrug, I was just going by the OP's listing, which says as ranger.

Condé
2022-12-11, 06:59 AM
Shrug, I was just going by the OP's listing, which says as ranger.

My Bad. It says as a druid BUT progress as a ranger.
Gain: Animal companion (as druid; treat sorcerer or wizard as a druid of half his class level).

Chronos
2022-12-11, 07:55 AM
Of course, anyone, of any class, can simply buy/steal/tame a normal, mundane animal. A horse, say, might be tough within WBL, but a pack mule is easily affordable. As you level up and get richer, buy better animals, up to eventually a war elephant or something.

Inevitability
2022-12-11, 08:46 AM
Urban druid if you count that as a separate class from druid. Mostly notable for letting you get (arbitrary?) animated objects as companion.

Particle_Man
2022-12-11, 12:36 PM
There was a third party book that let you play an animal that gained a human companion, but alas the name escapes me.

ShurikVch
2022-12-13, 09:59 AM
Shaman (OA p.22): note this is the 3.0 version of how animal companion worked, but IMHO the conversion to 3.5 should mean it works the same as Druid.
Then how about Water Shugenja?

Thurbane
2022-12-13, 03:55 PM
Then how about Water Shugenja?

Well, the relevant difference there - in my opinion - is that while both have access to Animal Friendship as 1st level spells, Shaman has Animal Companion as a listed class feature, while Shugenja does not.

As always, some DM adjudication is required when updating 3.0 material. It's a shame this wasn't touched on in the Dragon Magazine 3.5 update for OA. They updated a small handful of things for Shaman, but nothing about AC.