PDA

View Full Version : Best stuff from Tome of Magic

Dhavaer
2007-12-01, 11:58 PM
I just bought it today, and I'm looking for opinions of the best vestiges and mysteries. Lets say, the best vestiges of each level, and the best two paths of each category.

At the moment, I think Ebon Whispers (Flicker!) and Touch of Twilight for Apprentice, Dark Reflections and Ebon Roads for Initiate and Breath of Twilight and Eyes of the Night Sky for Master. I have no idea about vestiges other than that Orthos looks awesome.

Draz74
2007-12-02, 01:03 AM
What role in the party is your Binder trying to play? Binder is a very jack-of-all-trades class, perhaps even more so than Bard or Factotum. Different vestiges are needed for different roles.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-02, 01:26 AM
What role in the party is your Binder trying to play?

That strikes me as a silly question. If he wanted to fill just one role, he wouldn't be playing a binder, now would he?

Draz74
2007-12-02, 01:45 AM
That strikes me as a silly question. If he wanted to fill just one role, he wouldn't be playing a binder, now would he?

Fair enough. Then my answer to "which vestiges are best?" would be, "... most of them."

SadisticFishing
2007-12-02, 01:49 AM
For pure numbers? Chucoplocs is the best Vestige, in my humble opinion. Ipos is awesome too, put them together with Ronove and grab the Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper tree and the damage potention is ridiculous.

Naberius is amazing for pure simplicity, dealing with people is easy when you can rush diplomacy checks without taking -10. Karsus gives you a ridiculous amount of versatility, and binding Ashardalon (only vestige in another book, it's in Dreagon magic, but there ARE several vestiges in Dragon magazine and on the Wizards site) and Halphax makes you hard to kill.

Orthos, Andromalius, and Malphas together let you make touch attacks to do a whole bunch of Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike damage.

Pact Magic is my favorite part of the ToM, by the way :P that, and the Acolyte of the Ego.

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-02, 02:28 AM
As I recall, Buer is solid at low levels. He's the healing vestige.

Icewalker
2007-12-02, 05:35 AM
What I saw, at lower levels, is that Savnok takes the lead in terms of numbers by a huge amount. Generally I play Binder's with Favored Vestige (I think it's that) for him. Also, the ability for a mysterious unarmored guy to suddenly magically sheath himself in gleaming bronze full plate is fun from an RP perspective :smallbiggrin:

Summon full plate which you are proficient with, trade places with allies, DR/piercing...basically you are a tank. And the full plate becomes magical at higher levels.