PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a non-Evil alliance. The Protectors of the Cosmos.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-02, 02:51 AM
After finishing my Order of Perfection (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58209) thread and reading the handfull of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen threads I have decided to make a band of heroes and other protectors of the public good. My only problem is coming up descriptions of each of them but Death and Vimes, so help in that regard is welcome. Other suggestions are welcome after the first eight are complete.

Aang- Avatar: the Last Airbender-
Being the Avatar of the elements it falls to Aang not only to maintain the ballance of natrue but to comfort and protect the weak and otherwise defenseless. This and contact with Death or some other like-minded cosmic being would be enough reason for Aang to help found the Protectors. Besides, also being the last of his kind Aang would find a lot in common with the Doctor (whose homeworld Galifrey was destroyed by the Daleks) and Mal (survivor of the Battle of Serenity Valley). Shrek could also help Aang cope with feelings of loneliness in the world, while Vimes could make a good all-around role-model for the young Avatar.
Assets: Airbending, Momo, Appa, Sokka, Katara, Toph, Iroh and Zuko.

Death- Discworld books- Benevolent Grim Reaper
As his world's grim reaper, it befalls Death to collect the souls of the dead. to accomplish this task Death employs either a scythe or sword to sever the bond between the body and the soul. That said, he is unusual among other grim reapers due to his compassion and concern towards the living. He would probably make a good role model for Aang or the Elric brothers. What would be his reason for joining up? Simple, the Protectors of the Cosmos are fighting back against the forces of the Nine Hells and the Abyss and protecting all of creation from them. That's reason enough for Death to help these guys.
Assets: Granddaughter Susan, the rest of the Horsemen of the Apocolypse and Binky.

Duke Commander Samuel Vimes of the Anhk-Morpork Night Watch- Discworld books-
Every heroic group needs at least one cunning and clever warrior, to which Sam Vimes fits the bill perfectly. What Sam lacks in formal education he more than makes up for in tactical skill and knowledge of dirty fighting and trickery. He is honorable but dosen't fight stupidly and is honest but knows when a lie is better said than the truth. His reasons for joining the Guardians? He has nine reasons, Sybil, Young Sam, Captain Carrot Ironfounderson, Sergent Angua von Uberwald, Corporal Nobby Nobbs, Sergent Fred Colon, Sergent Detritus, Corporal Cheery Littlebottom and the rest of Anhk-Morpork. He could also make Aang, Sokka, Katara, Toph, Zuko, Edward and Alphonse into young Sammies.
Assets: The Anhk-Morpork City Watch and his own combat skills.

Detective John McClane- Die Hard films-
Tough, cunning, able to think outside the box and perform death-defying feats and still walk up-right, John McClane is pretty much the living embodiment of the term badass. This, said he might need a lot of convincing to join but ultimately would do so. As to why John McClane out of all the heroes on Earth would join "because there is nobody else to do it".
Assets: Do I need to spell it out? He's John McClane, do I have to spell it out?

Edward and Alphonse Elric- Fullmetal Alchemist-
Both highly trained and talented state alchemists, Ed and Al Elric have faced deadly enemies before, such as the homonculi Greed, Pride, Sloth, Gluttony, Envy, Wrath and Lust. Now after having suffered greatly and unjustly for much of their young lives, Edward and Alphonse Elric were drawn to and then helped to found the Protectors to insure that no other innocents are harmed if they could stop it.
Assets: They have few assets to bring to this group other than keen intellect, training as state alchemists and one another. Would make great Sammies though.

Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly and Serenity-
As a veteran of the Battle of Serenity the captain of the sihp by the same name, Malcolm has seen more than his fair share of fighting, dying and killing. This has caused him to become cynical and rather jaded, but still a good man for the most part. But after the events of the movie Serenity he has found something to believe in, freedom. This would be reason enough for Mal to help found the Protectors. He's also a smuggler, expert at the Xanatos Gambit and all around scoundrel but can be expected to be honest and honorable with anyone not actively trying to kill him or friends and allies.
Assets: His own personal skills along with the aid of Zoe Washburne, Inara Serra, Jayne Cobb, Kaylee Frye, River Tam and Dr. Simon Tam. Frankly I'd like to see Jayne introduce Azula to "the chain of command" once or twice. That'll put a crimp in her style.

Willow Rosenberg- the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series-
A powerful witch and skilled computer technician, Willow Rosenberg would provide much needed tactical and logisitical support for the Defenders. She can provide magical healing, transportation, defense and offense as well. She can drain the life from her enemies and raise the dead. Willow practically has the words "Don't mess with me" stamped on her forehead.
Assets: Technological skill, magical powers and allies such as Giles and Buffy. Willow's assets also include an army of about 500 Slayers, based in a high-tech Scottish castle, backed up by a small coterie of mystics.

The Doctor- Doctor Who-
Last of the Time Lords, not including the Master, the Doctor is an heir to Galifrey's highly advanced technology and culture. He is a champion of humanity and many other sentient races, defending them from such horrors as the Daleks, the Cybermen and the creature known simply as the Beast. Legends of Doctor frequently give him names such as "the Oncoming Storm" or "the Wandering God". The Doctor possesses encyclopedic knowledge of almost every thing in the multiverse including candies and other sugary treats (he'll try to find a use for that kind of knowledge). He has two hearts, a bianary vascular system and basic low-level short-range telepathy.
Assets: The TARDIS, Sonic Screwdriver, other technical goodies and extensive knowledge of just about anything.

Shrek- Shrek movies-
Big green and tough in a fight Shrek was wrongfuly persecuted and antagonized for sipmly for being an ogre. Because of this Shrek had to fight and work for everything he has. Now that his family, friends and home are under threat from the hosts of Hell and the hordes of the Abyss, Shrek would have more than enough reason to join forces with the heroes mentioned above. While the least powerful of the Protectors of the Cosmos, Shrek is well known for his physical strength, battle prowess and cunning in a fight.
Assets: Wife Fiona, Donkey, Dragon, Puss in Boots and other allies.

Cecil Harvey- Final Fantasy IV-
Savior and sole paladin of his world, Cecil Harvey along with his friends constitute a shining becon of light in the universe. Son of KluYa and Cecilia Harvey he is only half-human but that won't stop him from defending his Earth
as well as the Cosmos in general. This would be especially true if his Rosa and her children as well as friends and citizens were under threat from the Nine Hells of Perdition, the Gray Wastes and the Abyss.
Assets: Rosa, Edge, Palom, Porom, Sabin, Kain and his own paladin powers and swordfighting skills as well as the country of Baron and it's Red Wings.

Celes Chere- Final Fantasy VI-
A former general for the Empire and a reciepient of its genetic engineering program, Celes is a powerful combatant skilled in both mundane and magic fighting and tactical techniques including the abillity to absorb magic from spells or spell-like effects. Unfortunately, Celes and her friends lost their magical powers after slaying the mad god Kefka to save their world, nearly costing her friend Terra's life. Now they could remedy their lack of magic by means of an epic quest of course.
Assets: Every other main party member from Final Fantasy VI. None of them have magical powers because Kefka was the sole source of magic when the heroes killed him to save the world. This could change in the near future.

Thrall- Warcraft-
Chief shaman among his people, Thrall commands an army large enough to strike abject terror into the hearts of the Fire Nation government. He is wise, intelligent, a capable warrior and truely good-hearted man. Thrall also has power over the elements and spirits and can crush batallions of his enemies single handed if required. Besides, he's a Good alligned orc, who wouldn't want one of those fighting in their Armies of the RighteousTM. He'd also make a good mentor for Aang and Katara. Damn, how many mentors from this list is Aang going to have. He already has Vimes, Death, the Doctor and Shrek. Who's next, Malcolm Reynolds?
Assets: Orc shaman, high intelligence and leader of the Horde. Likely allies are Cairne Bloodhoof (Tauren Chieftain, leader of the Taurens of the Horde), Vol'Jin (Troll Shadow Hunter, leader of Darkspear Trolls of the Horde), Jaina Proudmoore (Human Archmage and Thrall's main human ally) and Rexxar (Mok'nathal Beastmaster, Champion of the Horde). He also has the orcish warlock Goran Hellscream.

Night Owl II- Watchmen-
As both a technical genius and among the few sane and decent members of the Crimebusters Night Owl II, A.K.A. Daniel Dreiberg, would be a shoe-in for the Protectors. He has an extensive knowledge of zoology and aeronautics and can hold his own in a fight if needed. Besides, imagine what he could do if partnered with the Guild of Cunning Artificers, Discworld dwarves, Discworld trolls (with cooling helmets), Final Fantasy IV dwarves and Cid, Final Fantasy VI Cid (if Celes didn't accidentally kill him) and Leonard of Quirm.
Assets: Archimedes (his owl-shaped flight vehicle) and his wife Laurie Juspeczyk, A.K.A. Silk Spectre II.

Link- Zelda series-
He has all the reasons in world to join the protectors. He saves the world for a living and his equipment will definitely come in handy. He is also a master swordsman and has unmatched accuracy with a bow, not to mention his ability to immediately learn how to use any object that comes into his possesion. He is a truly noble and courageous warrior and skilled magician as well.
Assets His equipment and the fact that he has made friends with every living thing that he has met that didn't try to kill him.

Samus Aran- Metroid series-
She's a bounty hunter specializing in hunting down and eliminating space pirates and lethal virus-like creatures. She is a master at infiltrating buildings and is at least a moderately skilled hacker. She is a weapons expert and her long range attacks pack a punch. You cannot hide from her thermal and X-ray visors.
Assets Her ship and a wide variety of weapons.

Captain Jack Sparrow, Hector Barbosa and Elizabeth Turner- Pirates of the Carribean films

Jack Sparrow's assets
Barbosa's assets
Elizabeth's assets

Hiro Protagonist- Snowcrash

Assets

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-02, 09:30 PM
I just added in Sam Vimes if anyone is cuirious.

hanzo66
2007-12-03, 02:02 AM
Why is Shrek in the Order. From what I know he does not possess any particularly significant ability. His main advantages are mostly common sense and perhaps some combat finesse, though probably not nearly as good as others that would go on this list.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-03, 02:01 PM
Can we replace Shrek with Willow Rosenburg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Rosenberg)?

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-04, 03:05 AM
Just replaced with Willow. Also each founding member can bring their own friends and allies in.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-12-04, 05:05 PM
Hmmmm, I wouldn't add two creatures from the same source (both discworld characters).

Also, what's wrong with Shrek? He's an ogre, which means he's pretty strong, so that's good, and it's not like the members of The League of Extra-Ordinary Gentlemen were all equally strong. Hell, one of them could just handle a gun well. By the same criteria you could rule out everyone because they're not by far as strong as Death. Willow is a good idea too though.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-07, 09:35 PM
Just put Shrek back in and finished up Aang's description.

someonenonotyou
2007-12-07, 10:00 PM
cloud! duh with his sword skills and his matira he would so be helpful and allise

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-07, 10:07 PM
You should put in the Master Chief. Super-soldier with the backing of the UNSC, and the Elites. Boo-yah.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-07, 10:47 PM
cloud! duh with his sword skills and his matira he would so be helpful and allise

Maybe, but he'd get on everyone elses nerves too often for comfort. Cecil Harvey from FFIV and Celes Chere or Locke from FF VI would fit in better. They could also bring in their allies like everyone else.

hanzo66
2007-12-08, 03:23 AM
Maybe Thrall from Warcraft would be a decent addition. He's a Far Seer (high level shaman) with elemental/spiritual powers (though not to the extent of Aang) and a powerful warrior. He's also rather intelligent for an Orc and would be a good leader.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-09, 01:29 AM
I just added in Thrall.

Executor
2007-12-09, 01:47 AM
The Twenty Saviors, opposed to the Twenty Scourges of Saint Executor, Patron of Versus Threads

1. Elendil, High King of Gondor and Arnor, 8 feet of 320-year old badass
2. Luke Skywalker, check out the Extended Universe, it's crazy
3. Paul Atreides, the Kwisatz Haderach.
4. Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn
5. Arthur Pendragon, High King of Britain
6. Aragorn, High King of the Reunited Kingdom
7. Gandalf the White
8. The Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind
9. Achilles of the Myrmidons
10. Conan, King of Aquilonia
12. Feanor, Son of Finwe
13. Hercules, Son of Zeus
14. Luthien Bedwyr
15. Beowulf, King of the Geats
16. Pug, because Pug is awesome
17. Bilbo Baggins
18. Daenerys Targaryen
19. Turin Turambar
20. Drizzt Do'Urden

WhiteShark
2007-12-09, 03:07 AM
Ged, Archmage of Earthsea - He's the most powerful wizard in Earthsea, and is fairly charismatic. He managed to hold back the Old Ones (ancient demon things) by his own power while escaping the Tombs of Atuan.

Hiro Protagonist (from Snowcrash) - Last of the free-lance hackers and best swordsman in the world! He could be the sole hacker of the Protectors, and his sword skill could probably be put to use also.

Can't think of anymore right now. Hopefully those two aren't too obscure.

lipe44
2007-12-09, 07:50 AM
Where is Goku in that?

Dihan
2007-12-09, 07:54 AM
Maybe Mario, Link (or Zelda), or Samus Aran?

2007-12-09, 11:47 AM
Roland Deschain.

Because wether all those people realize it or not, he's saved all of their asses.

Serenity
2007-12-09, 03:13 PM
Depending on the timeframe of this alliance, Willow's assets also include an army of about 500 Slayers, based in a high-tech Scottish castle, backed up by a small coterie of mystics.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-09, 06:53 PM
Depending on the timeframe of this alliance, Willow's assets also include an army of about 500 Slayers, based in a high-tech Scottish castle, backed up by a small coterie of mystics.

I'll give Willow just that.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-11, 05:50 PM
While I havent finished Malcolm, Willow, Cecil or Celes yet, but I did list everyones assets already.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-14, 10:32 PM
I have four unfinished primary members left, Willow Rosenberg, the Doctor, Cecil Harvey and General Celes Chere. I'd like some help in coming up with descriptions for each of them.

hanzo66
2007-12-18, 03:21 AM
Since others have their allies listed, Thrall would probably have the aid of...

Likely Allies:
Cairne Bloodhoof (Tauren Chieftain, leader of the Taurens of the Horde)
Vol'Jin (Troll Shadow Hunter, leader of Darkspear Trolls of the Horde)
Jaina Proudmoore (Human Archmage and Thrall's main human ally)
Rexxar (Mok'nathal Beastmaster, Champion of the Horde)

Allies of questionable loyalty and morality:
Sylvanas Windrunner (Banshee Queen of the Forsaken) and Varimathras (Lackey of Sylvanas
Lor'themar Theron (Regent Lord of the Blood Elves)

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-18, 03:50 AM
Since others have their allies listed, Thrall would probably have the aid of...

Likely Allies:
Cairne Bloodhoof (Tauren Chieftain, leader of the Taurens of the Horde)
Vol'Jin (Troll Shadow Hunter, leader of Darkspear Trolls of the Horde)
Jaina Proudmoore (Human Archmage and Thrall's main human ally)
Rexxar (Mok'nathal Beastmaster, Champion of the Horde)

Allies of questionable loyalty and morality:
Sylvanas Windrunner (Banshee Queen of the Forsaken) and Varimathras (Lackey of Sylvanas
Lor'themar Theron (Regent Lord of the Blood Elves)

I'll add that tomorrow and then work on Celes Chere's write-up.

bosssmiley
2007-12-19, 03:51 PM
What? :smallconfused:

No presence from "The Authority"? (Jenny Sparks ftw!)
I see no "2000AD" characters (Slaine, Nemesis and/or Torquemada, Judge Dredd, Nicholai Dante, the ABC Warriors, Durham Red, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, etc, etc...)
And I find your lack of "Watchmen" disturbing... :smallamused:

Duke Malagigi
2008-01-08, 01:43 AM
Maybe I'll add in Nite Owl II. He might fit the Protectors. You know what, I'll do just that.

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-08, 01:53 AM
I'd have to take issue with the fact that Death's powers only extend over Discworld, and as on Discworld people go where they *think* they deserve to go, Death has no power or reason to be worrying about the nine hells. Besides, he's explicity forbidden from messing with final judgments in such a manner.

1. Elendil, High King of Gondor and Arnor, 8 feet of 320-year old badass
2. Luke Skywalker, check out the Extended Universe, it's crazy
3. Paul Atreides, the Kwisatz Haderach.
4. Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn
5. Arthur Pendragon, High King of Britain
6. Aragorn, High King of the Reunited Kingdom
7. Gandalf the White
8. The Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind
9. Achilles of the Myrmidons
10. Conan, King of Aquilonia
12. Feanor, Son of Finwe
13. Hercules, Son of Zeus
14. Luthien Bedwyr
15. Beowulf, King of the Geats
16. Pug, because Pug is awesome
17. Bilbo Baggins
18. Daenerys Targaryen
19. Turin Turambar
20. Drizzt Do'Urden

As for this.... well, for one, the Emperor would kick the living crap out of everyone else on this list and make himself the leader (With the possible exception of Gandalf given his demi-god status, but the Emperor is powerful beyond mortal measure as well...). Conan has no reason to be on here, he's the personification of Chaotic Neutral if there ever was one, albeit with leanings towards niceness in the case of women and children.

Eita
2008-01-08, 01:54 AM
The Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind who has sat on His Golden Throne for ten-thousand years as the Carrion Lord of Holy Terra whilst the Most Wise and Benevolent Twelve High Lords of Terra ruled in His stead.

He really does protect the very fabric of reality nowadays.

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-08, 02:36 AM
The Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind who has sat on His Golden Throne for ten-thousand years as the Carrion Lord of Holy Terra whilst the Most Wise and Benevolent Twelve High Lords of Terra ruled in His stead.

He really does protect the very fabric of reality nowadays.

He has His reasons, heretic. His mind guides the ships of the Imperium through the beacon of the Astromacian. His sacrifice ensures the continuation of mankind's existence in the face of the Chaos Powers.

The Black Ships have been notified. Make your peace.

Eita
2008-01-08, 02:38 AM
I believe you have misinterpreted me. I was merely pointing out that logically, our God-Emperor would be the perfect choice to lead this organization.

Note however that I am a Psyker, I am also an Inquisitor and thus the Black Ships hold no fear for me. I suggest you make your own peace or quickly repent.

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-08, 02:40 AM
Hmmm... well, that didn't work quite so well.

No worries though. The Black Ships have some trouble getting into the Eye.

Come in, Inquisitor. We have so very much to show you.

Eita
2008-01-08, 02:46 AM
The Eye of Terror holds naught but heretics and remnants of foul xenos. It is beyond redemption and shall be destroyed by the grace of the God-Emperor. Why should I ever set foot in such a corrupted place presumably without the intention of purifying it?

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-08, 02:48 AM
The Eye of Terror holds naught but heretics and remnants of foul xenos. It is beyond redemption and shall be destroyed by the grace of the God-Emperor. Why should I ever set foot in such a corrupted place presumably without the intention of purifying it?

Oh, it holds so much more than that... Worlds of unimaginable wonder, that ripple with the merest caress of a thought-tendril... and all the knowledge in the universe. Yes, even the knowledge to reawaken your beloved God-Emperor... oh, so much we can show you.

We can show you the truth.

Eita
2008-01-08, 02:50 AM
Foolish Daemon. I am of the Thorian Brotherhood. We need not your petty tricks to bring back the Emperor. The Star-Child shall come, and he shall smite down your False Gods.

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-08, 02:55 AM
Foolish Daemon. I am of the Thorian Brotherhood. We need not your petty tricks to bring back the Emperor. The Star-Child shall come, and he shall smite down your False Gods.

Oh, he very well might. But when he does, it will be so amusing to see your reaction when you realize what you have wrought.

Ah... puritans. It's always amusing to watch you struggle against the tide. Everything flows to Chaos in the end.

Eita
2008-01-08, 03:01 AM
What we will create shall be a god beyond even your comprehension. The Emperor is indeed older then Chaos, for he remembers days more ancient then yourself. The Emperor is the rock against the tide, and he shall not move. He has always stood for Humanity and always shall.

Ironic though is the fact that you call me a puritan. Indeed, many of colleagues consider the Star Child theory far too liberal and almost heretical. If only those pompous fools knew of the Sensei.

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-08, 08:59 PM
What's most amusing is that you believe the Emperor, should he ever attain true godhood, will retain his so-called beneficence. An entity forged from hatred and opression will not be what you expect.

Still, your beliefs are amusing to observe. Particularly the way they crumble under the burning stare of truth.

hanzo66
2008-01-25, 06:45 AM
Speaking of the God Emperor, I always got the impression from everything that I've heard/seen of the Imperium that the God Emperor is Lawful Evil. Not sure how he'll react to the non-humans of this Good Guy group.

Duke Malagigi
2008-02-05, 05:54 PM
I'd have to take issue with the fact that Death's powers only extend over Discworld, and as on Discworld people go where they *think* they deserve to go, Death has no power or reason to be worrying about the nine hells. Besides, he's explicity forbidden from messing with final judgments in such a manner.

First, Asmodeus would probably ignore the "everyone goes where they think they should go" rule and try to set it up so that the likes of Swing and Vorbis (read as Lawful Evil) would automatically go to Hell (his version of course) or send out one of his servants to collect the souls of these totalitarians and authoritarian fanatics. Also, while Death can't enter Asmodeus' domain, Asmodeus isn't bound by those rules. He might even be able to defeat Death by himself. Second, if Death can't leave Discworld himself, couldn't he send his Granddaughter instead?

Duke Malagigi
2008-02-05, 05:58 PM
Speaking of the God Emperor, I always got the impression from everything that I've heard/seen of the Imperium that the God Emperor is Lawful Evil. Not sure how he'll react to the non-humans of this Good Guy group.

Either that, or he really is Lawful Good and the current Imperium is a perversion of every thing the Emperor of Mankind stood for. Also, don't call the Emperor a god, he openly denied such things before the Horus Betrayal.

hylian chozo
2008-02-05, 08:06 PM
Link has all the reason in world to join. He saves the world for a living and his equipment will definitely come in handy. He is also a master swordsman and has unmatched accuracy with a bow, not to mention his ability to immediately learn how to use any object that comes into his possesion. His assets include his equipment and the fact that he has made friends with every living thing that he has met that didn't try to kill him.

Samus Aran is a bounty hunter that specializes in hunting down and eliminating any that threaten the peace. She is a master at infiltrating buildings and is at least a moderately skilled hacker. She is a weapons expert and her long range attacks pack a punch. You cannot hide from her thermal and X-ray visors. Her assets include her ship and a wide variety of weapons.

Duke Malagigi
2008-02-13, 11:30 PM
Link has all the reason in world to join. He saves the world for a living and his equipment will definitely come in handy. He is also a master swordsman and has unmatched accuracy with a bow, not to mention his ability to immediately learn how to use any object that comes into his possesion. His assets include his equipment and the fact that he has made friends with every living thing that he has met that didn't try to kill him.

Samus Aran is a bounty hunter that specializes in hunting down and eliminating any that threaten the peace. She is a master at infiltrating buildings and is at least a moderately skilled hacker. She is a weapons expert and her long range attacks pack a punch. You cannot hide from her thermal and X-ray visors. Her assets include her ship and a wide variety of weapons.

I'll add them in.

Duke Malagigi
2008-02-14, 12:45 AM
I just added in Link and Samus as hylian chozo requested and finished Celes Chere and Willow Rosenberg. Later I'll finish Captain Jack Sparrow, Hector Barbosa, Elizabeth Turner and Hiro Protagonist.

hanzo66
2008-02-14, 01:47 AM
Either that, or he really is Lawful Good and the current Imperium is a perversion of every thing the Emperor of Mankind stood for. Also, don't call the Emperor a god, he openly denied such things before the Horus Betrayal.

Well, now that I have more of an awareness of the Emperor himself from others in this board, I guess he does seem like a fairly Lawful Good being. He does not at least see himself as a god amongst men despite his massive powers.

Also with Barbossa, one would have to somehow convince him that there's something in it for him to join the good alliance. From what I can tell from the movies he's not one to join because he's a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.

Ubiq
2008-02-14, 03:54 AM
If you want a pirate, I'd recommend Monkey D. Luffy. Not only is he fantastically strong, extremely tenacious, and a natural fighter, but he has a very powerful moral compass and, probably most importantly for a team player, he's more than willing to admit to his own failings and is perfectly willing to rely on his crewmates to do what he can't. Beyond that, he's extremely cheerful and makes friends easily, which is probably what some of the other members of the Protectors need. He certainly wouldn't have the least bit of trouble accepting Shrek for instance.

His assets would be the rest of his crew (all of them extremely formidable opponents in their own rights) and their ship.

SAMAS
2008-02-14, 11:47 AM
Not as a member, but a reoccurring ally/character:

Mario (who else?)

The idea behind Mario is that he often appears... well, everywhere. And often gives the heroes a hand when he does.

For example, When the heroes first try to sneak into a badguy's lair, they find a plumber working on the pipes. One of them my try to knock him out, but just before they reach him, he suddenly says: "I wouldn't-a do that if I were you." He introduces himself, helps them on their way, and warns them to stay away from the huge green pipe sticking out of the wall over there. Later, the entire building experiences severe flooding, helping them out in a pinch.

Another time, they're watching a tennis or boxing match on their break, and he's the referee.

Another episode, a bunch of animals are released from the Zoo, or a circus, and Mario helps them capture a barrel-tossing gorilla.

Another time, they're at an amusement park, and he (and some friends?) can be seen riding the go-karts. Trouble starts, and a bad guy is suddenly smacked in the head with a large fake turtle shell. Mario tells them to go after the real bad guy, and the one they were facing before is later found knocked-out and tied up when they go back for him.

In a later episode, one of the heroes gets sick or injured, and ends up in the hospital. The bad guys try to take advantage of their weakness, and attacks the Hospital. A white-coated Mario suddenly gets in their way, saying: "Nobody touches-a my patient!"

Duke Malagigi
2008-02-14, 04:00 PM
Well, now that I have more of an awareness of the Emperor himself from others in this board, I guess he does seem like a fairly Lawful Good being. He does not at least see himself as a god amongst men despite his massive powers.

Also with Barbossa, one would have to somehow convince him that there's something in it for him to join the good alliance. From what I can tell from the movies he's not one to join because he's a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.

Simple, would any self respecting, freedom-loving pirate want the Devil himself, especially Dicefreaks Asmodeus, ruling the physical universe? He'd make the East India Trading Company look fair minded merciful!

Drascin
2008-02-14, 05:05 PM
Quite a team - and you already have many of my would be suggestions, including Vimes, Samus, Link the Doctor, and the FFVI squad. I would have picked Terra as the lead of said FFVI representation, but Celes probably has better commanding skills, what with being a general and all.

BTW, as an apart while I'm talking Final Fantasy, remember to ask Cecil to leave Kain at home before engaging! We don't need to give the enemy a free highly skilled fighter! :smalltongue:.

In fact, as for JRPG heroes... why not go for Chrono and his peeps? Chrono is heroic and unselfish and the very definition of lethality in close quarters, Lucca is a genius who could do utter wonders if presented future tech by the likes of our dear Serenity captain, Frog is... well, Frog, and wields a blade made of the pure substance of dream, Ayla seems to be the kind of person who can open a durasteel door by punching it, and if they convince Magus to come along for the ride (leaving him a clue or two about Asmodeus having something to do with his sister's dissapearance would be enough :smallwink:) they also have what amounts to a tank division in magical terms.

Also, I hate him with a passion, but in all fairness, Superman would provide a good amount of extra muscle to any hero team, and he's too good to turn on them, so loyalty's not a concern... *tries to repress the wincing due to being advocating one of the most exasperating Marty Stu's in known history*

Ohhh... idea. Since anime seems to be acceptable to the Protectors judging from the Elrics' addition and the presence of half-anime Aang and company (:smalltongue:), and since the ending of the series just came up on my playlist... what about Simon, the leader of the DaiGurren Brigade and reborn humanity, from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? He's heroic alright, a kind of good determinator that is not going to let anyone suffer unnecessarily if there's even the slightest chance to prevent it - and for the DaiGurren, there are literally no impossible odds!

As to what assets he would bring into the team... a huge amount of firepower in the form of elite squads of Grapal and the Gurren squad of improved Ganmen, powerful robots piloted by some of the most courageous people to ever grace the human race; his own personal mecha, the Gurren Lagann, with a brutal hand-to-hand power and the ability to take over mechanical structures; the knowledge of Spiral Energy Technology, which in the hands of a team of utter heroes like this one could provide amazing results (and get the basics on previously mentioned Lucca's hands... oh man); and the Cathedral Terra, a huge (and I do mean huge) spaceship that could become the alliance's Headquarters.