PDA

View Full Version : Book of Vile Darkness LAs

Arioch
2007-12-02, 03:35 AM
Hey, guys, what do you think the CR and level adjustments on the creature templates from Book of Vile Darkness are (the templates are bone creature, corpse creature, and corrupted creature)? They're all sentient, so I doubt its "—" for the level adjustment.

While I'm good at the imaginative side of D&D (creative writing is my forte at school), I'm not so good at manipulating the rules in a balanced way, so I'd be grateful if you guys could help me out. :smallsmile:

brian c
2007-12-02, 03:54 AM
Corpse Creature has listed CR +1, Corrupted is a scaling CR increase based on HD. Bone Creature does not have a listed CR change. None of these have LA because they aren't intended for players to use I suppose, but generally CR adjustment = LA is a good rough guide.

I would guess Bone Creature to be about a +1 or maybe +2 CR, same for LA. The big benefit is the undead traits.

Corpse Creature, about the same, maybe a little weaker. +1

Corrupted Creature is hard to get LA to. It has abilities that scale based on HD, so my suggestion is (similar to the Feral template in Savage Species, or at least how that should be) to use only racial HD for those calculations. Fast Healing is way more useful for PCs than for monsters though, so LA should be higher than the CR adjustment. I'd say around +2 LA, maybe even +3. It's a pretty handy template for a Monk, with the free (and stacking) Improved Natural Attack, +4 DC for stunning fist, fast healing, vile damage, and natural armor, and the ability adjustments are nice.

Damn, now I wanna add this to my Abyssal Monk of Doom if I can... ;)

Chronos
2007-12-02, 02:03 PM
None of these have LA because they aren't intended for players to use I supposeThe reason nothing in the BoVD has a listed level adjustment is that it's a 3.0 book, and level adjustment didn't exist in 3.0. So that doesn't imply that they're meant to be off-limits to players.