PDA

View Full Version : Calculate Fighter 5 War Cleric 1 Damage

Frogreaver
2022-12-17, 07:03 AM
I'm primarily concerned with no prebuff round 1 damage potential.

Looking at level 6. Basic build would look something like Fighter 5 War Cleric 1, 18str, battlemaster with trip and precision attack, superior technique for a total of 5 superiority dice. If I hit I use trip attack, if i miss by any amount that precision attack might can help then I use precision attack. War Cleric is there for the bonus action attack. So round 1 would equate to 5 attacks, many with advantage due to trip attack and rarely outright missing to do that and precision attack.

*Assume 60% chance to hit and 60% chance to land a trip attack.

Let's calculate this!

stoutstien
2022-12-17, 07:29 AM
What conversion rate are you using for precision?

Frogreaver
2022-12-17, 08:48 AM
What conversion rate are you using for precision?

That's part of the complication.

Precision is a d8. D20 rolls of 1-8 will miss. 1 cannot be turned to a hit with precision. So precision will turn 54.6875% of misses into hits (if it had been a >=45% chance to miss then it would have been 56.25%). For this calculation means 40% * 54.6875% = 21.875% of the time precision will turn a miss into a hit.***

However, this is only for times you don't have advantage. Using precision with advantage is more complicated to calculate as it's no longer linear.

EDIT:
For advantage I get 11.59375% of the time precision will turn a miss into a hit.

da newt
2022-12-17, 09:36 AM
I don't know the right way to do it but (if you don't bother with worrying about crits) you could long hand this with branches for different out comes ...

*assuming maul for 2d6

first att: .6(2d6+d8+4) + .22(2d6+4) = ~11.1 and resulting in .6(.6) chance of prone

2nd att: 1-(.6)(.6) chance of non-adv att (same damage as above) + (.6)(.6) att w/ adv = {(.4)(.4)(2d6+d8+4) +.116(2d6+4)}

then keep summing the chances of prone as you march through the other 3 attacks ...

Frogreaver
2022-12-17, 10:01 AM
I don't know the right way to do it but (if you don't bother with worrying about crits) you could long hand this with branches for different out comes ...

*assuming maul for 2d6

first att: .6(2d6+d8+4) + .22(2d6+4) = ~11.1 and resulting in .6(.6) chance of prone

2nd att: 1-(.6)(.6) chance of non-adv att (same damage as above) + (.6)(.6) att w/ adv = {(.4)(.4)(2d6+d8+4) +.116(2d6+4)}

then keep summing the chances of prone as you march through the other 3 attacks ...

That's similar to what I was thinking as well, but was hoping there was a simpler way.

stoutstien
2022-12-17, 10:09 AM
That's similar to what I was thinking as well, but was hoping there was a simpler way.

If there is I haven't found it lol.

Odd side bar I think divine favor might be better than the ba attack. Im going rerun it to see.

Frogreaver
2022-12-17, 10:24 AM
If there is I haven't found it lol.

Odd side bar I think divine favor might be better than the ba attack. Im going rerun it to see.

I would think divine favor would be worse as 4 attacks with it is 10 damage and 1 bonus action attack is 11 damage base with the possibility of +4.5 from the 5th superiority dice.

That said, if you use divine favor you could change the superiority dice fighting style to GWF and that combo would likely push out a little more damage. At least that's what I suspect will happen.

stoutstien
2022-12-17, 10:51 AM
I would think divine favor would be worse as 4 attacks with it is 10 damage and 1 bonus action attack is 11 damage base with the possibility of +4.5 from the 5th superiority dice.

That said, if you use divine favor you could change the superiority dice fighting style to GWF and that combo would likely push out a little more damage. At least that's what I suspect will happen.

I was breaking up the damage of DV onto each attack so while the total damage is lower the fact that it interacts with each hit/miss pulls it a head ever so slightly over the all or nothing of the attack (even with a BM die)