PDA

View Full Version : Intrigue In The Dales [OOC]

JNAProductions
2022-12-22, 01:10 PM
System: D&D 5E
Player Count: Banshee plus up to three others
Style of Play: Intrigue! Roleplay! Fighting!
Allowed Content: If it's not on the list, don't ask.

PHB
DMG
Xanathar's
Volo's
Mordenkainen's
Ravnica
Eberron
Tasha’s
Fizban’s
Monsters of the Multiverse
UA, Homebrew, or anything else available for free, legally, and online by request. Include a link with any request!

Character Creation: Mythweavers preferred, but anything I can easily read is acceptable

Backstory: Skirt length
Experience: 9th Level, plus maybe gestalt
Wealth: 5,000 GP to spend on mundane gear or save for later. One Rare and one Uncommon magic item, that may be traded down at a 1:2 ratio per rarity drop.
Ability Scores: Pick six numbers. These are your pre-racial stats. No number may be higher than 18 or less than 8. You may modify them freely up until the game starts, and may pick duplicate numbers.
Hitpoints/Health: PHB Standard
Alignment: Be nice, please, and mesh with the party.

Other Notes: No Ravnica backgrounds.

If gestalt is decided upon...
No multiclassing.
You gain the higher hit die from your classes.
You gain weapon, tools, and armor proficiencies from both classes.
You gain three saves total, chosen from among any saves available to your classes. If you can only pick two, you must pick those two, but then gain an extra free pick of save proficiency.
You may take skills from either class's list, and take the higher number of skills to gain from class.
You gain equipment from one class only. If you need essentials from another class (for instance, a Fighter//Wizard without an arcane focus) just ask, and you can have it.
Spellcasting is kept entirely separate on leveling, but in play, you can use slots from both sides for either side's spells.
A level five Wizard//Fighter (not EK) has the normal slots of a level five Wizard.
A level five Wizard//Cleric would have eight 1st level slots, six 2nd level, and four 3rd level.
A level five Wizard//Paladin would have eight 1st level slots, five 2nd level, and two 3rd level.

In play, you can use any slots for any spell you know or have prepped.
For ASIs, you gain them from both sides, but no stat can be raised by more than 2 at any level.

The Northern Dales
Situated perhaps three hundred miles south of the top of the world, as viewed on a global map, the Northern Dales are separated from the mainland by a chain of mountains to their south, and the icy sea up north. There are five primary nations within the dales. They are...

Tore
Northwestern daleland. Ruled jointly by an oligarchy of engineers, researchers, and magical prodigies. The most innovative of the dales.

Odell
Northeastern daleland. Ruled by an ancient lizardfolk king, Ruehl. Generally insular, but fierce if provoked.

Ingar
Central daleland. Ruled by King Jonathan The Eighth, a human man. Viewed as the weakest dale, but maintains strong relations with each other of the dalelands so as to have protection should anyone decide to try and conquer it.

Ogmund
Southwestern daleland. Ruled by Queen Ubshur, a goliath woman. Has the most contact and trade with the mainland.

Ashildr
Southeastern daleland. Ruled by Lady Illing the Fair, an old eladrin woman. Has some ties to the fey realms.

The dales live in relative peace. There is always concern that Ingar's diplomacy will fall through and war will break out, but while the dales certainly don't actively cooperate, war is not an immediate concern.

Life was continuing normally, until Odell sent a message to the other dales. The couriers' notes requested a presence in Ingar, to explain a dire situation. You are part of the representative of one of the other dales, sent to find out what could've possibly made Odell, of all places, reach out to other people.

Please repost all PC details, include a spoiler with your backstory, and claim a color.

IC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?652586-Intrigue-In-The-Dales-IC)

Bansheexero
2022-12-22, 03:18 PM
Hello, Thradis (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2732435) will use royal blue for dialogue.

Lord Thradis the Fox was born and raised in the region of Ashildr, nestled among the rolling hills and forests of the land. From a young age, Thradis was fascinated by the stories of the fey and their magical powers. He was particularly drawn to the tales of the storm giants, powerful beings of elemental air who were known for their tumultuous moods and fierce tempers.

As he grew older, Thradis began to exhibit strange powers of his own, manifesting the ability to control and manipulate the air around him. It was then that his family revealed to him his true heritage - that he was descended from a storm giant on his mother's side, which explained his elemental abilities.

Despite this revelation, Thradis remained a disciplined and measured individual, with a calm and collected demeanor that belied his tumultuous ancestry. He dedicated himself to honing his abilities and becoming a formidable warrior, driven by a sense of duty and loyalty to the people of Ashildr.

Eventually, Thradis caught the attention of Lady Illing the Fair, the ruler of Ashildr. Impressed by his skill and dedication, she offered him a position as her man-at-arms, a role that Thradis accepted with pride and honor.

As he served Lady Illing, Thradis became known as a fierce and loyal defender of Ashildr and its people. He earned the respect and admiration of his fellow townspeople, and his reputation began to spread throughout the realm.

It was during this time that Thradis acquired his magical scimitar, Echoing Vow. The weapon was a gift from Lady Illing, presented to him in recognition of his years of faithful service. It was said to have been crafted by the fey themselves, imbued with powerful magic that amplifies the wielder's control over the elements.

Thradis now serves as Lady Illing's right-hand man, a trusted and respected member of her court. Despite his intense and charismatic nature, he remains a strongly disciplined and taciturn individual, always ready to defend Ashildr and its people from any threat. His loyalty is unshakeable, and he will stop at nothing to protect those he holds dear. So, he is a perfect man-at-arms for Lady Illing the Fair, who rules Ashildr.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3c/b5/e8/3cb5e85645e627720fd86c9fdb90b399.jpg

Info on Retainers:

Retainer #1: Valet
Name: Garen
Race: Eladrin

Personality: Garen is a highly organized and efficient individual, always looking for ways to improve Lord Thradis' travel arrangements and make things run smoothly. He is also very loyal and protective of his lord, often going above and beyond to ensure his safety and comfort. Despite his serious demeanor, Garen has a dry sense of humor and can be quite witty when the mood strikes him.

Physical Description: Garen is tall and slender, with piercing blue eyes and long, flowing silver hair. He has a sharp jawline and a regal bearing, giving off an air of elegance and refinement.

Background: Garen was born into a wealthy eladrin family, but he always felt drawn to the world of knights and chivalry. He trained diligently in the arts of horsemanship and logistics, eventually earning a position as Lord Thradis' valet. He takes great pride in his work and considers it a great honor to serve such a renowned knight.

Retainer #2: Majordomo and Chef
Name: Alora
Race: Wood Elf

Personality: Alora is a kind and nurturing individual, always looking out for the well-being of Lord Thradis and his household. She is fiercely loyal and takes great pride in her cooking, always striving to create delicious and nourishing meals for her lord and his retainers. Despite her gentle nature, Alora is also fiercely independent and fiercely protective of those she cares about.

Physical Description: Alora is of average height for a wood elf, with long, curly brown hair and piercing green eyes. She has a warm and welcoming smile, and her slender frame is always bustling with energy.

Background: Alora grew up in a small village in the heart of the forest, where she learned the art of cooking and household management from her mother. She eventually caught the eye of Lord Thradis, who was in need of a capable majordomo and chef, and she has been with him ever since. She considers herself part of Lord Thradis' family and takes her duties very seriously.

Retainer #3: Appointment Scheduler
Name: Tilly
Race: Halfling

Personality: Tilly is a bubbly and outgoing individual, always looking for new social opportunities for Lord Thradis. She is highly skilled at networking and building relationships, and she takes great pride in her ability to keep Lord Thradis' social calendar organized and running smoothly. Despite her love of parties and social gatherings, Tilly is also fiercely loyal and protective of her lord, always looking out for his best interests.

Physical Description: Tilly is a petite halfling with short, curly brown hair and bright blue eyes. She has a round, cheerful face and a bubbly personality to match.

Background: Tilly grew up in a large halfling community, where she learned the importance of building relationships and networking. She eventually caught the eye of Lord Thradis, who was in need of a capable appointment scheduler, and she has been with him ever since. She considers herself part of Lord Thradis' family and takes her duties very seriously.

Dusk Raven
2022-12-22, 03:24 PM
I find it amusing how everyone has various ties to the leaders of their dales, or otherwise has some status, and Emera's just a young woman from Ingar. I may need to amend my backstory to have some sort of official standing. As for her color, I think Indigo will do. It's either that or Black, but I'll go with Indigo since that has actual color. Also, it's my second-favorite color behind black itself.

In any event, here's her sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2559750

Emera was ten when her powers began to manifest, when she started gaining the power of darkness, and started hearing the whispers, too faint to make out, but present all the same. It wasn’t long before word of her powers began to spread, and before her eleventh birthday she was kidnapped by a secretive cult known only as the Followers of the Eternal Dark. The cult had determined that her powers were due to her destiny as the avatar of the dark entity they worshiped. From that point on, she was both their prisoner and their chosen one, and they began to raise her to accept the role fate had for her.

Of course, this upbringing was interrupted after five years, when a group of good-aligned adventurers raided the camp’s base, seemingly wiping out the cult. They discovered Emera in her quarters, and since she was not hostile to them, they listened to her story of how she’d been kidnapped by the cult, and spared her. She told them she had nowhere to go, and asked to join them, promising to aid them with her powers. They accepted, and for a time she journeyed with them. She did not, at any point, tell them of her true nature, or why the cult had such an interest in her.

Over time, her powers grew, but so did the strength of the whispers in her mind. Though still mostly indistinct, and in an alien language, they occasionally became understandable, giving her fragments of advice or suggesting courses of action. The rest of the time, the whispers became soft background noise. Eventually, she even started to find it comforting. Likewise, she’s at peace with what she believes is her fate, to become a vessel for the darkness that lies beyond. The darkness without is her home, the darkness within is her strength. It flows out from her magic and flows through her very soul. When in the dark, she’s at peace. Without the darkness, she’s nothing. Or so she believes.

But there remains a question she cannot truly answer - is this inner peace and stability the true nature of the entity she serves? Or is it her own self shining through? Is her strength of will and determination because the darkness is always with her? Or perhaps… was the darkness drawn to her because of the strength of her soul?

https://i.imgur.com/0x2g4QN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/y1keqkP.jpg

Bansheexero
2022-12-22, 06:18 PM
I find it amusing how everyone has various ties to the leaders of their dales, or otherwise has some status, and Emera's just a young woman from Ingar. I may need to amend my backstory to have some sort of official standing. As for her color, I think Indigo will do. It's either that or Black, but I'll go with Indigo since that has actual color. Also, it's my second-favorite color behind black itself.

In any event, here's her sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2559750

Emera was ten when her powers began to manifest, when she started gaining the power of darkness, and started hearing the whispers, too faint to make out, but present all the same. It wasn’t long before word of her powers began to spread, and before her eleventh birthday she was kidnapped by a secretive cult known only as the Followers of the Eternal Dark. The cult had determined that her powers were due to her destiny as the avatar of the dark entity they worshiped. From that point on, she was both their prisoner and their chosen one, and they began to raise her to accept the role fate had for her.

Of course, this upbringing was interrupted after five years, when a group of good-aligned adventurers raided the camp’s base, seemingly wiping out the cult. They discovered Emera in her quarters, and since she was not hostile to them, they listened to her story of how she’d been kidnapped by the cult, and spared her. She told them she had nowhere to go, and asked to join them, promising to aid them with her powers. They accepted, and for a time she journeyed with them. She did not, at any point, tell them of her true nature, or why the cult had such an interest in her.

Over time, her powers grew, but so did the strength of the whispers in her mind. Though still mostly indistinct, and in an alien language, they occasionally became understandable, giving her fragments of advice or suggesting courses of action. The rest of the time, the whispers became soft background noise. Eventually, she even started to find it comforting. Likewise, she’s at peace with what she believes is her fate, to become a vessel for the darkness that lies beyond. The darkness without is her home, the darkness within is her strength. It flows out from her magic and flows through her very soul. When in the dark, she’s at peace. Without the darkness, she’s nothing. Or so she believes.

But there remains a question she cannot truly answer - is this inner peace and stability the true nature of the entity she serves? Or is it her own self shining through? Is her strength of will and determination because the darkness is always with her? Or perhaps… was the darkness drawn to her because of the strength of her soul?

https://i.imgur.com/0x2g4QN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/y1keqkP.jpg

Well, Ingar was one of the two places the AI said you might go, and of the two, it was the one you'd have a more peaceful existence in. The other one it suggested was Odell, where it suggested you'd be actively persecuted in. Also, indigo is my primary favorite color too, but I like to match my characters a bit, and blue seemed more fitting. Still, indigo goes well with silver or gold.

You're character should represent an interesting foil to my own, as both have latent power that manifested when older, we just sort of forked in direction after that point. Emera was involved with a cult, whereas Thradis has a more privileged upbringing, albeit with several earned accolades.

Awful
2022-12-23, 06:41 AM
Laugh-of-the-Avalanche (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2733558), a powerful envoy from Ogmund. As the Queen's Champion, she has come to find out what's the matter and give it a good thrashing with the help of her war mammoth.

She will speak in Teal.

Bansheexero
2022-12-23, 01:04 PM
So, waiting on Heavenblade then. Should be . . . interesting without a dedicated healer. I have Healing Word and Mass Healing Word, and I believe Heavenblade had Cure Wounds. I don't believe anybody has Spare the Dying or Revivify though. I have Greater Restoration, but I'll probably tend to use that spell slot for other things.

JNAProductions
2022-12-24, 11:51 AM
So, waiting on Heavenblade then. Should be . . . interesting without a dedicated healer. I have Healing Word and Mass Healing Word, and I believe Heavenblade had Cure Wounds. I don't believe anybody has Spare the Dying or Revivify though. I have Greater Restoration, but I'll probably tend to use that spell slot for other things.

I'm assuming Heavenblade is probably busy with holiday stuff.

Hopefully they'll be able to post by Monday!

Heavenblade
2022-12-25, 12:10 AM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2733901

Captain Evelyn star, decorated captain of the army of Tore, formerly married to Skald Halustra rodesa (deceased), was content with living out the rest of her days in the home her army pension paid for, grumpily staring through the window whenever anyone came close.

But the Dales had other plans. She was called before the council of Tore, and knew even before speaking it would be about Odell. How could it not be? After losing a leg in battle, the only use the council had for her is her knowledge and connection in the scaled city.
Knowledge she acquired through hard work connections she made by fighting side-by side with the lizardfolk, memories she collected when she found her true love - a young lizard battle singer named Halustra, who died tragically in the battle that cost her her leg.

But duty calls, and Evelyn is nothing if not loyal. So she packed her bags, took her walking cane, and went to meet the council.

Outside of her suit of armor, Captain Star is regularly described as "average". Her scruffy face, broken nose, bright hair and dark eyes fit the general description of a woman who came from the worker neighbours of the shining wheel - probably because she did come from them. She carries a simple metal walking cane, decorated with a single hexagonal silver cog at the top. She is also missing a leg from her knee downwards, but she tends to avoid discussing that matter.

The particularly keen-eyed viewer would notice that her stance is that of a military veteran, that her eyes are sharper than a hawk's, that behind every piece of cloth lies a well-defined muscle - and by that point she probably noticed you staring and shot one of her famous death glares.

Inside her armor, however...its different. Her breastplae extends into two battle gauntlets, the Cog at the top of her walking cane shifts into a shimmering shield. Metal boots lock into place, as lightning starts crackling around her body. What looked like a simple pet mouse turns out to be a small machine that serves as her eyes in the back and scout at the front. Her mighty lightning launcher, which she used to talk down dozens of enemies at the time, is ready to blast. To those who only see her only in a battle-ready mode, it seems that the famous Captain Star of Tore has never left the battlefield.
Only those who see her doff the armor realise that the Battlefield has never left HER, as well.

Captain Star, Reporting for duty

I do have cure wounds, and also revivify!

Bansheexero
2022-12-25, 06:37 PM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2733901

Captain Evelyn star, decorated captain of the army of Tore, formerly married to Skald Halustra rodesa (deceased), was content with living out the rest of her days in the home her army pension paid for, grumpily staring through the window whenever anyone came close.

But the Dales had other plans. She was called before the council of Tore, and knew even before speaking it would be about Odell. How could it not be? After losing a leg in battle, the only use the council had for her is her knowledge and connection in the scaled city.
Knowledge she acquired through hard work connections she made by fighting side-by side with the lizardfolk, memories she collected when she found her true love - a young lizard battle singer named Halustra, who died tragically in the battle that cost her her leg.

But duty calls, and Evelyn is nothing if not loyal. So she packed her bags, took her walking cane, and went to meet the council.

Outside of her suit of armor, Captain Star is regularly described as "average". Her scruffy face, broken nose, bright hair and dark eyes fit the general description of a woman who came from the worker neighbours of the shining wheel - probably because she did come from them. She carries a simple metal walking cane, decorated with a single hexagonal silver cog at the top. She is also missing a leg from her knee downwards, but she tends to avoid discussing that matter.

The particularly keen-eyed viewer would notice that her stance is that of a military veteran, that her eyes are sharper than a hawk's, that behind every piece of cloth lies a well-defined muscle - and by that point she probably noticed you staring and shot one of her famous death glares.

Inside her armor, however...its different. Her breastplae extends into two battle gauntlets, the Cog at the top of her walking cane shifts into a shimmering shield. Metal boots lock into place, as lightning starts crackling around her body. What looked like a simple pet mouse turns out to be a small machine that serves as her eyes in the back and scout at the front. Her mighty lightning launcher, which she used to talk down dozens of enemies at the time, is ready to blast. To those who only see her only in a battle-ready mode, it seems that the famous Captain Star of Tore has never left the battlefield.
Only those who see her doff the armor realise that the Battlefield has never left HER, as well.

Captain Star, Reporting for duty

I do have cure wounds, and also revivify!

I'm assuming your character has a prosthetic of some sort, and your background mentioned a cane. Would your prosthetic be powered or is it standard, with your armor providing powered movement?

JNAProductions
2022-12-25, 07:10 PM
Added the IC thread link to the first post.

Let's get this party started! :)

Though, if you're busy celebrating a holiday, don't feel you have to interrupt that for this. Enjoy!

Bansheexero
2022-12-25, 09:10 PM
Giving a few insight checks as people stroll in, or on whomever is already there. I forgot to do this on my IC post. I cast Enhance Ability (Wisdom), so each check is made with advantage. I'll do 5 checks, to assess the other three of the group, one to assess the visitors from Odell, and the other to assess the people from Ingar who are hosting.

Check 1: [roll0] or [roll1]
Check 2: [roll2] or [roll3]
Check 3: [roll4] or [roll5]
Check 4: [roll6] or [roll7]
Check 5: [roll8] or [roll9]

Edit: Wow, 3 Nat 20's

JNAProductions
2022-12-25, 10:10 PM
Damn, nice!

I'll assign the first check to Ingar people, the next check to Odell's folks, and then the last three will be in the order of:

3: Emera
4: Captain Star
5: Laugh

I will let the other players tell you what you get with those Insight results.

They seem a little on edge, but are taking it in stride. They're professionals, and if you had to guess, this place of meeting isn't terribly uncommon... But the people who you're meeting are.

They're dutiful, though, and will work to keep everyone within safe, secure, and secret.
They're harder to read, given the relative racial differences. But from what you can see, they are spooked, far more than those from Ingar. They hide it well, but they think the poop's about to hit the fan.

But, in brighter news, they are here in good faith.

Dusk Raven
2022-12-25, 10:36 PM
Emera is pretty hard to read -- but with a roll like that, you could see through all but the most deceptive of individuals. Emera definitely gives a different impression than the others here -- and not just because of her magical abilities (she has that magical air to her). She doesn't have that noble or at least official bearing that the others no doubt have. Otherwise, she seems intently focused on the other attendees, likely scrutinizing them the same way you are.

((Not sure what else to reveal at this stage, but I hope this is satisfactory))

I'd like to make a few Insight checks as well, though I'm not sure how many to make. Perhaps the same number that Thradis made - though mine won't be made with advantage.

JNAProductions
2022-12-25, 10:44 PM
You're working with professionals here. They'll make sure you stay safe, secure, and secret.
They're hard to read, but you get the sense they're on edge.

Heavenblade
2022-12-25, 11:27 PM
Investigating here since I made a mistake in the IC thread-
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-12-25, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you can't edit rolls into a post. This thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?360837-This-is-how-you-use-the-Dice-Roller) might help enlighten those not super familiar with the roller.

Looking closely, you can see a few little marks of rank and veteran status on the small lizardfolk. Most notably, they have a large bronze scale, barely visible from the corner of a pouch. It's one of Ruehl's scales-a mark of privilege, honor, and respect.

Bansheexero
2022-12-26, 12:01 AM
Emara's results:

Thradis appears intensely focused on the situation. Beyond that, he is in a more reactive state, waiting to see what happens before making any judgments. He comes across as rather aloof at the moment, as he is unsure what will transpire.

Evelyn's results

I will give different information here, since I would not translate investigation to give much on motive directly. Thradis is well kept and disciplined, but dresses relatively simply for his higher station. You can tell he is from Ashildr, and his elemental heritage is rather obvious since he smells of ozone and petrichor and if you get near him, your hair stands on end from static. His blade at his side stands out, being far more ornate than the rest of his attire, which you deduce was a reward for exceptional service. His countenance projects staunch professionalism. He most likely has some military experience, like Evelyn, though most likely on a smaller scale, most likely skirmishes and smaller strike teams.

Edit: Not that I see it mattering immediately, but Thradis does have Blindsight out to 10 feet from his one fighting style, in the event somebody is invisible and within that range.

Awful
2022-12-27, 06:47 PM
For those peering at Laugh:

An outlander from Ogmund - clearly used to violence. She's bedecked in trophies, suggestign she's pretty used to hunting and battle. One of them, golden and shiny than the rest, is new, and shows the sigil of Ogmund.

She's wary too, but trying not to show it in favour of a casual manner. Is being pushy to see how the others react.

Bansheexero
2022-12-27, 07:08 PM
For those peering at Laugh:

An outlander from Ogmund - clearly used to violence. She's bedecked in trophies, suggestign she's pretty used to hunting and battle. One of them, golden and shiny than the rest, is new, and shows the sigil of Ogmund.

She's wary too, but trying not to show it in favour of a casual manner. Is being pushy to see how the others react.

FYI your link to your character sheet on your IC post is the wrong sheet.

Dusk Raven
2022-12-28, 01:57 PM
Rolling my History check here so I know what the result is before I come up with an IC post.

[roll0]

Bansheexero
2022-12-28, 03:02 PM
Rolling History [roll0]

Edit: Hurray, the one knowledge skill I'm trained in.

JNAProductions
2022-12-28, 08:21 PM
Rolling History [roll0]

Edit: Hurray, the one knowledge skill I'm trained in.

Nice.

I’ll address the IC when I get home from work. :)

Awful
2022-12-28, 08:36 PM
[roll0] hist

My first roll is a nat 1. What a good sign, heh.

Bansheexero
2022-12-29, 10:14 AM
Thradis probably would keep his deductions to himself, since he does not know much about the other attendees, but for the sake of keeping things jotted down, he believes the following from what the Lizardfolk said:

- The enemy strikes with either some form of poison or mind-affecting magic, given their champion's comatose state and general lack of grievous physical wounds. It could also be a combination of the two.

- The enemy strikes either solo or in relatively small numbers, since the lizardfolk had time to draw their weapons. Thet said that they were spread out as if they were searching. If they were attacked by a group, their fall pattern would be much more erratic and fewer might have their weapons drawn, or at least they would have more injuries. Alternatively, they could have been ambushed, but in that case, they would have died clumped together or sought cover, the latter of which is unlikely, because there was no mention of projectiles in their wounds or on the land where they died. Either way, people don't tend to search for their enemies when facing a large group.

- Chances are low it was an animal of some sort. If it were a predator, the bodies would most likely either be taken or shown more signs of damage when scried upon, since the animal would start in on its food. If it was done to protect territory, Thradis would feel it safe to assume the lizardfolk were familiar with the fauna in their region and would know what to look for. More importantly, they would most likely not waste time searching for an animal and focus more on treating their injuries comrades to limit casualties.

- The enemy probably could not fly and most likely struck at close range, since otherwise, it would most likely stand out that they would have drawn their bows.

- If it were something like a dragon, the battlefield would be more of a spectacle and there would have been more injuries.

- This leaves two potential categories: either this was the result of traps that were sprung by the group, which would explain why their bodies were left undisturbed, or it was an intentional incursion, in which case, they could be trying to lure in more victims.

- If it was done by some creature, it is most likely some form of mage or unit highly capable of stealth. Alternatively, there is a chance it could be some form of undead, but if this took place during the day, there are few types that could do that.

Thradis is more familiar with small skirmishes, so he leans in that direction. I could be wrong, but that is what he would suspect with the data given.

Awful
2022-12-29, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I'd mostly agree.
The initial description does make me think vampire, what with mind-twisting, and drained blood, and you can get spellcaster variants of them, too.

We'll see if they actually answer when and where, because of course, if this seemed to happen in the middle of the day - the attacks, and whatever this nondescript ruckus was - then that'd put a pin in that tenuous theory.

Bansheexero
2022-12-29, 08:23 PM
I do have a few questions regarding, well, I guess it falls under foreign policy. While the Dales are ostensibly at peace, it seemed somewhat bound to the diplomatic machinations of Ingar, and not necessarily independently sustainable. My first question is why Ashildr would even care about what happens in Odell and what their policy in addressing the matter is. As an envoy, what degree of intervention is Thradis expected to give and how much autonomy he has here. As a lower ranking noble, he does not have much say over the military position of Ashildr, so I reason he would take the information and send message back to his homeland to await further instructions. Acting recklessly could reflect badly on his homeland as he is serving as a representative, so I am trying to figure out to which degree Thradis is allowed to provide direct aid and in what particular interest? I get the basic notion that he is present to determine what level of threat the news presents Ashildr, but I am trying to think of a reason of why he would not simply return home, talk to Lady Illing about the news, and let her decide the next move.

Sorry, I may be looking a bit too deeply into this. It just seems weird that a foreign nation with which there is a tenuous peace mentions something happening within their own borders and all of the other areas immediately jump in to assist. It's like there are a series of mysterious disappearances in France and suddenly Germany and Spain jump in to investigate. Are we able to determine why each of our nations would help ourselves as a sort of self-determined national policy, or is that determined independently of our input? Basically, I'm asking if we, the players tell you why we were sent and what we are expected and allowed to do or do we take the GM's lead, and if so, what is it?

Bansheexero
2023-01-02, 09:02 PM
Thradis makes a History check and spends a Superiority die for Tactical Assessment (Shame I can't use Bardic Inspiration on myself for this)

1d20+1d8+6

Bansheexero
2023-01-02, 09:03 PM
Sorry, thought I could get away with that, here is the roll

[roll0] + [roll1]

Edit: Damn, another nat 20 and almost a nat 8 on the other die. I have never rolled this consistently well ever on this site. I feel like I have a lot of critical failures in my future.

JNAProductions
2023-01-02, 10:09 PM
Sorry, thought I could get away with that, here is the roll

[roll0] + [roll1]

Edit: Damn, another nat 20 and almost a nat 8 on the other die. I have never rolled this consistently well ever on this site. I feel like I have a lot of critical failures in my future.

Holy crap. I did say it wouldn't be easy, but 33 is DAMN GOOD. Damn good.

First off, you know exactly where you can find more info on this in Ashildr. Though you're not sure what more there is-you got most of it known to you.

Generations ago, at least five thousand years, there was a warlord. Argos, a brute of a man who came from the northernmost spine of the world with armies and hordes, laying devastation to the Dalelands and beyond. His forces wielded terrible powers of frozen fury, their blades and armor made of ice hard as steel. It's said that Argos made a pact with some fell frozen force, and it granted him powers beyond that of any mortal.

Something that Argos' elites could do was to drain the life from any open wound-leaving nothing but a frozen corpse behind. A simple gash, in the presence of one of these possessed warriors, would find itself leaking blood and vital essence, until nothing remained.

He was defeated, eventually, by a hero from the Dales. A young woman by the name of Sentess, who wielded the Blade of Sun's Fury and slew Argos in pitched combat.

Reports diverge at this point, with some claiming Argos' forces were all melted within a day. Other sources claim that most of the forces were simply living things, that continued to fight on until they were forced to retreat without their leader.

There's a litany of other details of varying amounts of veracity you can recall, such as formations, specific battles, supply line and convoy details... None of which is particularly important for the moment.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-02, 11:02 PM
I'm not going to get anywhere near that high, but I'll still make the attempt.

[roll0]

Bansheexero
2023-01-03, 10:27 AM
Well, at least now nobody else needs to roll for it. While not the absolute highest I could get, mathematically, somebody with a 20 int and expertise in history would still cap at 33. As for the message spell, I figured since it was a cantrip, I could just hit with multiple castings, but either way, I figured it was the Lizardfolk's business, and if they wish to disclose to everybody, that's on them.

JNAProductions
2023-01-03, 12:54 PM
Well, at least now nobody else needs to roll for it. While not the absolute highest I could get, mathematically, somebody with a 20 int and expertise in history would still cap at 33. As for the message spell, I figured since it was a cantrip, I could just hit with multiple castings, but either way, I figured it was the Lizardfolk's business, and if they wish to disclose to everybody, that's on them.

You're still visibly casting a spell-but yeah, you can spam it.

Bansheexero
2023-01-04, 10:18 AM
If you wish to narrate further, I'm good, though not sure if anybody else has input.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-04, 01:41 PM
I certainly don't, much though I wish I did. But other people have analyzed the data we've been given better than I could, and Emera otherwise has nothing to suggest.

JNAProductions
2023-01-04, 01:45 PM
You know, there was GONNA be a surprise.

And then I looked at your passive perception scores. :P

Init Rolls
[roll0] Enemies
[roll1] Evelyn
[roll2] [roll3] Laugh
[roll4] Emera
[roll5] Thradis

Order
20 Laugh
19 Enemy One
18 Evelyn
17 Thradis
17 Emera
8 Enemy Two
6 Enemy Three

Bansheexero
2023-01-04, 06:25 PM
Are the two on the roof within Misty Step range? If not, I can deal with at least one of them through another method, and possibly take one out temporarily. Also, if an attack manages to hit me before my turn, I'll cast Silvery Barbs.

Awful
2023-01-04, 09:18 PM
Couple of questions: where's my main man Rumble-Of-The-Mountain, and can he hear me call for his assistance?

Also, am I the only one outside?

JNAProductions
2023-01-05, 01:11 PM
Are the two on the roof within Misty Step range? If not, I can deal with at least one of them through another method, and possibly take one out temporarily. Also, if an attack manages to hit me before my turn, I'll cast Silvery Barbs.

Yes, they are.

Couple of questions: where's my main man Rumble-Of-The-Mountain, and can he hear me call for his assistance?

Also, am I the only one outside?

Your mammoth is stabled near the edge of the city. So nowhere near you.

You're right at the entrance, the rest of the party members are inside.

Bansheexero
2023-01-06, 10:18 AM
Huh, just realized that Jack of All Trades wording would actually allow me to apply it to initiative as well, so I would have rolled a 19 (5 from Dex, 5 from Alert, 2 from JoAT, and a 7 on the roll). Apparently if I had counterspell or telekinesis, it would apply there as well.

JNAProductions
2023-01-06, 11:53 AM
Huh, just realized that Jack of All Trades wording would actually allow me to apply it to initiative as well, so I would have rolled a 19 (5 from Dex, 5 from Alert, 2 from JoAT, and a 7 on the roll). Apparently if I had counterspell or telekinesis, it would apply there as well.

Correct you are.

Awful
2023-01-06, 08:42 PM
Ah, that's disappointing, but c'est la vie, I'll get my post out tomorrow.

Awful
2023-01-09, 07:30 PM
Phone posting which is Spain without the s when trying to use the diceroller, but my net is down and I'm already late:

I'll rage as BA, move and attack the guy by the wall.

If I grow to large size, would I next turn be able to attack the lads on the roof without issue?

Attack one:
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
Attack two:
[roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

JNAProductions
2023-01-09, 08:49 PM
Phone posting which is Spain without the s when trying to use the diceroller, but my net is down and I'm already late:

I'll rage as BA, move and attack the guy by the wall.

If I grow to large size, would I next turn be able to attack the lads on the roof without issue?

Attack one:
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
Attack two:
[roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

Yes, you would. But those 23s are gonna hit regardless.

41 damage on one of the goons, unless splitting attacks.

JNAProductions
2023-01-09, 08:51 PM
[roll0] more piercing damage from that crit.

Poison damage is NOT multiplied due to being a rider save.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-09, 09:56 PM
Poison damage is NOT multiplied due to being a rider save.

Glad my DM in another campaign didn't know that. My imp familiar was far more lethal than it had any right to be, in part due to some great crits.

Awful
2023-01-10, 06:40 AM
Con save:
[roll0] or [roll1]

That's a pass, so overall I take 9 damage.

Also, can we get like a description of our attackers? We don't know their size or their species, or even what weapon they're carrying. If they look like a spellcaster or not. All that is stuff that can affect who we target first and what actions we take.

If nothing else, it's harder to write fluff when there's absolutely nothing to go off.

JNAProductions
2023-01-10, 12:55 PM
Con save:
[roll0] or [roll1]

That's a pass, so overall I take 9 damage.

Also, can we get like a description of our attackers? We don't know their size or their species, or even what weapon they're carrying. If they look like a spellcaster or not. All that is stuff that can affect who we target first and what actions we take.

If nothing else, it's harder to write fluff when there's absolutely nothing to go off.

Fair!

They're dressed in ordinary-looking grey cloaks, but thick enough and covering enough to conceal their faces. They each have a single visible knife, the kind that people carry for utility and potentially defense-this is not the weapon the assailant attacked with, instead an envenomed blade drawn from within the cloaks.
They're not super tall-you'd peg them all as being in the five to six feet range, though precise measurements will have to wait.

You do not spy any runes, talismans, charms, wands, etc. that would mark them as casters, but with the thick cloaks, they could be hiding something-and in fact, they all have lumps on the cloaks that could easily be explained by them having something hidden under them.

Bansheexero
2023-01-10, 07:20 PM
Hoo boy, there is a lot of conditional stuff here depending upon rolls.

So, the basic gist is Thradis will Misty Step up to the roof behind one of the enemies and attack them, and if I can remove their ability to perform an attack of opportunity, he moves to cover.

So, let's start with the easy part, bonus action Misty Step to enemy, and attack once, which if it hits, using Trip Attack and Defensive Flurry.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] slashing and [roll2] thunder damage
If hit, add [roll3] (Trip) + [roll4] (Flurry) slashing damage and target has to make a DC 17 Strength Saving Throw or fall prone
If target makes the save, take reaction to cast Silvery Barbs to force disadvantage and give advantage to Evelyn Star's next roll.

If crit, add [roll5] + [roll6] (Trip) + [roll7] (Flurry) slashing damage and [roll8] thunder damage

The next attack depends on the result of the first attack. If the target is tripped, no additional dice will be used, if I hit but did not trip then Pushing Attack to push the target off of the roof (if possible, otherwise use Trip Attack) will be added if the second attack is successful, if the previous attack missed and this one hits, I will do both Pushing/Trip Attack and Defensive Flurry.

Attack [roll9]
If advantage [roll10]
Damage [roll11] slashing and [roll12] thunder damage
If hit and target is not prone, add [roll13] slashing damage and target must make a DC 17 Strength Saving Throw and be pushed 15 feet away (if this pushes him off of the roof, otherwise, use tripping attack)

If hit, but previous attack missed, add [roll14] slashing damage and target has to make a DC 17 Strength Saving throw or be pushed off of roof or fall prone
If target makes the save and I did not take my reaction previously, take reaction to cast Silvery Barbs to force disadvantage and give advantage to Evelyn Star's next roll.

If crit, add [roll15] slashing damage and [roll16] thunder damage, if Pushing/Trip Attack procced, add [roll17] slashing damage, and if Defensive Flurry procced add [roll18] slashing damage

If the target was knocked prone rather than missed or pushed off of the roof and not dead, then Thradis uses Action Surge to attack twice more, then move behind cover. If the target is off of the roof, then move behind cover without Actions Surge

Attack 3 (with advantage) [roll19] or [roll20]
Damage [roll21] slashing damage and [roll22] thunder damage
If crit, add [roll23] slashing damage and [roll24] thunder damage

Attack 4 (with advantage) [roll25] or [roll26]
Damage [roll27] slashing damage and [roll28] thunder damage
If crit, add [roll29] slashing damage and [roll30] thunder damage

Edit: So, AC is 21 until the end of my next turn, just need to hear from DM and saving throws before I describe my action

JNAProductions
2023-01-10, 07:43 PM
[roll0] against DC 17 to avoid being pushed. 20 damage from that attack, by the way.
[roll1] Barbs reroll, if needed.

Your first attack missed, so you would NOT have advantage on that third attack roll, unless Barbs goes off. Which means attack three misses. But four hits, for 14.

Ah crap. Roll an extra d6 in your next post, for fall damage on the assailant that was pushed off.

Bansheexero
2023-01-10, 08:05 PM
[roll0] against DC 17 to avoid being pushed. 20 damage from that attack, by the way.
[roll1] Barbs reroll, if needed.

Your first attack missed, so you would NOT have advantage on that third attack roll, unless Barbs goes off. Which means attack three misses. But four hits, for 14.

Ah crap. Roll an extra d6 in your next post, for fall damage on the assailant that was pushed off.

If I pushed the target off of the roof (as I assume my first attack missed), then they would no longer be in front of me to attack, so I would not use actions surge take my third and fourth attack. Advantage would only be if the target was tripped, which they weren't, so I only made two attacks and hit once (sorry, I know it is confusing, it is easier to delineate at RL sessions). As for damage from falling, it would be [roll0]

Edit: So, for recap, the target was attacked twice, hit once for 20 damage and pushed off of the roof and took another 1 damage. Thradis then just used his movement to get behind any cover that may be available, and his AC is 21 currently from Defensive Flurry. Only 1 more Superiority Die and 1 Bardic Inspiration were spent (since they are triggered on hit, rather than on declaring an attack)

JNAProductions
2023-01-10, 08:12 PM
There were two roof assailants-you'd provoke an AoO from the other one still. If you don't want to risk provoking, ignore the below spoiler.

[roll0]
[roll1] Piercing
[roll2] Poison, halved on DC 15 Con Save

Bansheexero
2023-01-10, 09:28 PM
Since Silvery Barbs still hasn't triggered, I'll use it on the first attack that would otherwise hit me, since it needs a successful roll to be able to cast it, and give the advantage to myself for the next round I guess. Sorry, Heavenblade, I tried to give you sneak attack for maybe a ranged spell or something, but they failed their save.

JNAProductions
2023-01-10, 09:29 PM
Since Silvery Barbs still hasn't triggered, I'll use it on the first attack that would otherwise hit me, since it needs a successful roll to be able to cast it, and give the advantage to myself for the next round I guess.

Alright.

Emera's up, I think?

Bansheexero
2023-01-10, 09:31 PM
Alright.

Emera's up, I think?

It's Evelyn, then Emera

Heavenblade
2023-01-12, 02:57 PM
reply coming later today.

JNAProductions
2023-01-14, 11:40 PM
That'll be two hits. I'll roll damage real quick for ya:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: That one's taken 38 damage now.

Bansheexero
2023-01-15, 08:28 AM
That'll be two hits. I'll roll damage real quick for ya:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: That one's taken 38 damage now.

Wasn't the one she targeted knocked prone when they fell? Wouldn't Evelyn get advantage and sneak attack against it?

JNAProductions
2023-01-15, 12:59 PM
Wasn't the one she targeted knocked prone when they fell? Wouldn't Evelyn get advantage and sneak attack against it?

If she's meleeing them, yeah.

Feel free to add those on, Evelyn! :)

Bansheexero
2023-01-16, 03:17 PM
If she's meleeing them, yeah.

Feel free to add those on, Evelyn! :)

Looks like it was ranged, nvm. So I guess it is Emera up next.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-16, 06:09 PM
So it is! Hmm... I suppose I won't be targeting the prone foe with Eldritch Blast, so that leaves... one of the guys on the roof fighting Thradis? Either way, got some attack rolls coming their way. First Hex, then Eldritch Blast.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] plus [roll5]

Dusk Raven
2023-01-16, 09:56 PM
Thankfully, only one of those attacks actually hits Emera. Apologies for the double post, but it's a bit necessary if I'm to roll the CON save.

[roll0]

EDIT: Also, I completely forgot about that other effect of Hex. Hmm, let's curse their Dexterity, so they'll have a harder time hiding from us if it comes to that.

EDIT2: Does that all count as one hit for the purposes of massive damage? Because I might be needing to make another CON save...

JNAProductions
2023-01-16, 10:07 PM
Thankfully, only one of those attacks actually hits Emera. Apologies for the double post, but it's a bit necessary if I'm to roll the CON save.

[roll0]

EDIT: Also, I completely forgot about that other effect of Hex. Hmm, let's curse their Dexterity, so they'll have a harder time hiding from us if it comes to that.

EDIT2: Does that all count as one hit for the purposes of massive damage? Because I might be needing to make another CON save...

Yes, it's all one hit.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-16, 10:22 PM
As I feared. Well, here goes nothing.

[roll0]

EDIT: I guess I don't need to ask what the DC is. Emera remains standing, for now.

Bansheexero
2023-01-17, 07:23 PM
So, top of the round then? Back to Laugh?

JNAProductions
2023-01-17, 09:13 PM
So, top of the round then? Back to Laugh?

Correct. :)

Awful
2023-01-19, 10:27 AM
Attack one:
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Attack two:
[roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5]

Bansheexero
2023-01-19, 01:14 PM
Was the one he killed the enemy who went before me, or do I need to wait for that one to go still? Also, if the one I pushed off the roof only took 1d6 falling damage, I take it is a 10 foot drop, so could I jump down safely so long as I am not "falling" and if so, could I close in and flank one?

JNAProductions
2023-01-19, 01:18 PM
Was the one he killed the enemy who went before me, or do I need to wait for that one to go still? Also, if the one I pushed off the roof only took 1d6 falling damage, I take it is a 10 foot drop, so could I jump down safely so long as I am not "falling" and if so, could I close in and flank one?

Enemy One is down-that's the one Laugh went ham on, away from the entrance.
You can indeed drop 10' safely, if it's intentional.
We are not using Flanking rules, though.

Bansheexero
2023-01-19, 03:14 PM
It was more for the rogue's sake than my own.

Anyway, attacking a total of 5 times with actions surge and Two-Weapon fighting, if an enemy drops, start attacking the other one. Will use Defensive Flurry on the first attack to hit, but not on any other attacks (I think it is usable only once per turn anyway).

To keep Defensive Flurry simple, I'll roll base damage and crit damage for it here, and then apply it to whichever attack hits first:
[roll0] slashing damage
If crit, [roll1] slashing damage

Attack 1: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] slashing damage and [roll4] thunder damage
If crit: [roll5] slashing damage and [roll6] thunder damage

Attack 2: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] slashing damage and [roll9] thunder damage
If crit: [roll10] slashing damage and [roll11] thunder damage

Attack 3 (offhand): [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] slashing damage and [roll14] thunder damage
If crit: [roll15] slashing damage and [roll16] thunder damage

Action Surge

Attack 4: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18] slashing damage and [roll19] thunder damage
If crit: [roll20] slashing damage and [roll21] thunder damage

Attack 5: [roll22]
Damage: [roll23] slashing damage and [roll24] thunder damage
If crit: [roll25] slashing damage and [roll26] thunder damage

Edit: First attack was a crit, so I guess my AC is 20 (really poor flurry damage), need to know results of second and third attack (I assume my last two attacks miss, especially since one was a nat 1). I debated using Raulothim's Psychic Lance to incapacitate one, but figured if they were low enough that I could drop one and do damage to another, it'd be more productive.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-24, 12:29 PM
Wait, has it been my turn the past few days? I thought it'd be a little longer before I got to go again...

Anyway, a couple questions before I go -- that last foe standing, is he next to me? And is he the one that has my Hex on him?

JNAProductions
2023-01-24, 12:55 PM
Wait, has it been my turn the past few days? I thought it'd be a little longer before I got to go again...

Anyway, a couple questions before I go -- that last foe standing, is he next to me? And is he the one that has my Hex on him?

The last foe is on the rooftops still.
I believe it's the one that just dropped that is Hexed. But since they're down, you can transfer Hex with your Bonus Action.

Bansheexero
2023-01-24, 01:09 PM
The last foe is on the rooftops still.
I believe it's the one that just dropped that is Hexed. But since they're down, you can transfer Hex with your Bonus Action.

Oh, did not realize the one on the roof was still there, for some reason I got the impression he jumped down to attack. I edited my post to change it to attack that one instead.

Dusk Raven
2023-01-24, 01:50 PM
All right, in that case, I'll simply eldritch blast the one on the roof twice, after transferring Hex first of course. But before that, a Concentration check to see if I even still have Hex up after that whopper of a strike aimed at Emera. If it fails (DC 16?), ignore the extra Hex damage.

[roll0]

Attack 1: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] plus [roll3] Hex
Attack 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] plus [roll6] Hex

JNAProductions
2023-01-24, 01:51 PM
That'll be 17 damage total. I don't think that one had taken much of any damage, so they're up-correct me if wrong.

Bansheexero
2023-01-24, 03:02 PM
What happened to Heavenblade's turn?

Dusk Raven
2023-01-24, 03:07 PM
I was gonna say, didn't we skip Evelyn?

JNAProductions
2023-01-24, 03:27 PM
I think so, actually. Are they still about?

Dusk Raven
2023-01-28, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking the answer to that is a "no." Unfortunate.

Awful
2023-01-28, 11:59 AM
Well, the combat is pretty much over, seems to me, so can we just keep going?

JNAProductions
2023-01-28, 01:14 PM
Well, the combat is pretty much over, seems to me, so can we just keep going?

Not quite-if the foe is up, they're going to do a thing.

[roll0]
[roll1] Disadvantage

[roll2]
[roll3] Disadvantage

Bansheexero
2023-01-28, 09:40 PM
I mean, if there are two running, then I can Psychic Lance one and move towards them and either Emera or Laugh can dash to them. Sadly, I can't just teleport and grab, since only Misty Step is a bonus action and that's only 30 ft, so no action left to grapple.

JNAProductions
2023-01-28, 11:30 PM
I mean, if there are two running, then I can Psychic Lance one and move towards them and either Emera or Laugh can dash to them. Sadly, I can't just teleport and grab, since only Misty Step is a bonus action and that's only 30 ft, so no action left to grapple.

There is one running, one dead, and one KOed.

Bansheexero
2023-01-29, 07:06 AM
There is one running, one dead, and one KOed.

Hmm, while I'm all for interrogation, I think it may be best to not let any report back. Debating if it would be better to lance him or if I should try to teleport and trip him as he draws an opportunity attack. He's a rogue, so that cunning action is a pain. Maybe I should grab Laugh and DD directly next to him. That way he'd draw opportunity attacks from both of us and Emera can blast from a distance.

JNAProductions
2023-01-29, 01:28 PM
Hmm, while I'm all for interrogation, I think it may be best to not let any report back. Debating if it would be better to lance him or if I should try to teleport and trip him as he draws an opportunity attack. He's a rogue, so that cunning action is a pain. Maybe I should grab Laugh and DD directly next to him. That way he'd draw opportunity attacks from both of us and Emera can blast from a distance.

Well, it's all y'all's turns, so do what you please. :)

Awful
2023-01-30, 08:16 AM
Well, one way to stop him running off:
Grapple with advantage:
[roll0] or [roll1]

Either a second grapple or a shove prone if the first one succeeded:
[roll2] or [roll3]

Remember he has to beat them with his own athletics or acrobatics rolls, not his AC.

As a reaction, I can force him to reroll a hit with 60ft, so I'll do that if he manages to hit.

Since I can't use the glaive one-handed, i'll drop that and draw a handaxe.

I'll then action surge and non-lethally batter him about a bit.

[roll4] or [roll5]
Dam: [roll6]
[roll7] or [roll8]
Dam: [roll9]

JNAProductions
2023-01-30, 11:20 AM
[roll0] for the first attempt, autofail the second since even on a 20 they fail.

They are grappled for sure, and potentially prone. But that's not gonna matter, because they're gonna get KOed by those hits.

Bansheexero
2023-01-30, 04:32 PM
Going to make sure one is nice and bound and restrained as well as disarmed before I use Healing Word on him before interrogation.

JNAProductions
2023-01-30, 09:10 PM
Going to make sure one is nice and bound and restrained as well as disarmed before I use Healing Word on him before interrogation.

No worries. You've got supplies on-hand, so binding won't be hard.

Awful
2023-01-31, 11:22 AM
So it seems the second prisoner would have bled to death, looking at those death saves. 'S fine, we can manage.

That said... what do they look like? Are the asssassins all humans? Do they have any traits common to any of the dales, like hair or eye or skin colour? Are they male? Female?

What weapons did they have? How many poison vials?

What do they have that would make the best trophy to hang as decoration on Laugh?

Bansheexero
2023-01-31, 01:15 PM
I'd also check their mouths for anything like cyanide capsules.

JNAProductions
2023-01-31, 01:21 PM
So it seems the second prisoner would have bled to death, looking at those death saves. 'S fine, we can manage.

That said... what do they look like? Are the asssassins all humans? Do they have any traits common to any of the dales, like hair or eye or skin colour? Are they male? Female?

What weapons did they have? How many poison vials?

What do they have that would make the best trophy to hang as decoration on Laugh?

Yup, one survivor.

They appear human-the one you have alive is male, and a quick examination of the other two reveals one more man and one woman. They have the mixed-heritage look of an Ingar individual.

Two shortswords, four daggers, a crossbow, and a mixed amount of poison vials-you can get [roll0] total vials from them.

One of the empty vials would be most appropriate, and the glasswork is pretty nice.

Bansheexero
2023-02-01, 06:35 AM
Not that it super matters, but is my Enhance Ability still up for Wisdom? I mean, I can recast it if I need to do so.

JNAProductions
2023-02-01, 12:28 PM
Not that it super matters, but is my Enhance Ability still up for Wisdom? I mean, I can recast it if I need to do so.

Did you lose Concentration? Because duration has not expired, but Concentration is a thing.

Bansheexero
2023-02-01, 01:08 PM
Did you lose Concentration? Because duration has not expired, but Concentration is a thing.

Never took damage nor did I use another concentration spell, so no, I believe it would still be up

JNAProductions
2023-02-01, 01:08 PM
Never took damage nor did I use another concentration spell, so no, I believe it would still be up

Nice. Sounds good. :)

Dusk Raven
2023-02-01, 02:11 PM
I, on the other hand, forgot to roll concentration for Hex back when I took that load of damage. I'll do so now, though I don't think it'll matter much. Hopefully it passes, otherwise I'll have dealt more damage than I should have. [roll0]

EDIT: We're good! If we get into combat in the next hour, I'll come into it with Hex ready to go. That being said, I'm probably going to use another Concentration spell during the interrogation.

Bansheexero
2023-02-02, 07:02 AM
I'm going to say that I made sure that last assassin didn't die right after he was tied up, just to be sure I get that in there with Healing Word [roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-02-02, 12:51 PM
I'm going to say that I made sure that last assassin didn't die right after he was tied up, just to be sure I get that in there with Healing Word [roll0]

The last one was KOed, not knocked to death saves.

Feel free to start the interrogation when you like. :)

Dusk Raven
2023-02-04, 02:00 PM
Turns out I have several spells that would help in this situation. I've just used Suggestion, but if that doesn't work I may just break out the big guns and use Charm Monster.

JNAProductions
2023-02-04, 02:07 PM
I'm going to grant the assassin advantage on his save. It's not unreasonable, but considering the zealousness of your target, advantage feels warranted.

Of course, he's rolling at +0, so...

[roll0] Wisdom Save
[roll1] Advantage

Bansheexero
2023-02-08, 07:03 PM
Hmm, so given the suggestion spell, it seems to be a sort of blind fanaticism. Only a few ways to accomplish that. You can start them young, which seems unlikely in this case, or forceful brainwashing, which most likely involves magic in this case (though it may be indirect, and not some persistent effect), unless somebody wants to scan his body for signs of torture. My questions were aimed to see if he was some part of a dissident portion of society that was perhaps underprivileged or persecuted in some way. Given that he hasn't actually stated any specific grievance or tangible benefit his master addressed, it's more than likely there isn't any, especially given the Suggestion spell in effect. So, seems like just basic thralldom.

Edit: Trying to see if Emera will use Detect Thoughts. I can use Silvery Barbs if the prisoner makes the save.

Dusk Raven
2023-02-08, 08:51 PM
I thought about using Detect Thoughts, but that, according to the spell's description, only give insight into a target's reasoning, emotional state, and whatever looms large in its mind, and I think we know what all three of those things are. So I decided to break out the big guns and use Charm Monster. As a bonus, it's not even concentration, so Suggestion is still in effect.

Awful
2023-02-09, 12:14 PM
Well, let me know when you're done; Laugh intends to go to Rumble-of-the-Mountain and have him step on the assassin as tradition dictates.

JNAProductions
2023-02-09, 12:17 PM
Before I roll the save, Imma ask what you're trying to accomplish with Charm Monster that your Suggestion hasn't already done.

Dusk Raven
2023-02-09, 01:43 PM
Basically, I'm hoping to make him less antagonistic towards Emera, which is what seems to be the issue at the moment. I may be reading the situation wrong, but it seems he's resolved to die anyway and thus isn't particularly interested in giving us useful information. Although, as you yourself stated, it's possible he doesn't know. Still, Emera is hoping that by charming him, he won't see her as a heretic but someone in need of guidance, and thus might be more helpful. Or at the very least he'll stop spitting threats at us.

JNAProductions
2023-02-09, 02:00 PM
Basically, I'm hoping to make him less antagonistic towards Emera, which is what seems to be the issue at the moment. I may be reading the situation wrong, but it seems he's resolved to die anyway and thus isn't particularly interested in giving us useful information. Although, as you yourself stated, it's possible he doesn't know. Still, Emera is hoping that by charming him, he won't see her as a heretic but someone in need of guidance, and thus might be more helpful. Or at the very least he'll stop spitting threats at us.

The Suggestion was properly worded-you can get him to act nicer, but it won't net you any extra info.

Dusk Raven
2023-02-09, 02:45 PM
The Suggestion was properly worded-you can get him to act nicer, but it won't net you any extra info.

In that case, would it be fine if I edited my post to remove the casting?

JNAProductions
2023-02-09, 03:07 PM
In that case, would it be fine if I edited my post to remove the casting?

100% fine. :)

Awful
2023-02-17, 01:32 PM
So what's the state with this?

JNAProductions
2023-02-17, 01:39 PM
What's your guys' plan?

Dusk Raven
2023-02-17, 09:23 PM
Well, Emera's done her bit. I think the plan was to let Laughs do as she pleases.

Awful
2023-02-21, 05:39 AM
Yeah, if he answers or no, it's squishing time, and then we can probably head to the village they mentioned as the source of trouble.

Bansheexero
2023-02-21, 10:12 AM
I mean, I think we got all the info we can out of the guy, so squish or turn over to the guards

Dusk Raven
2023-03-01, 02:41 PM
Well, either Awful posts or JNA moves us forward, I think.

Awful
2023-03-02, 08:42 PM
I'm waiting on jna, ye.

JNAProductions
2023-03-02, 11:20 PM
I'm waiting on you!

You're free to get your mount, or drag the assassin with you to be crushed by said mount.

JNAProductions
2023-03-05, 01:09 PM
Right, so the plan is to head into Odell and investigate the village? If yes, I will make a post ICly moving us ahead towards that goal.

Bansheexero
2023-03-06, 04:53 PM
Sounds good to me

Dusk Raven
2023-03-09, 06:02 PM
Sorry for the silence! No objections here.

JNAProductions
2023-03-09, 08:01 PM
Lemme make a few rolls...

[roll0]

Bansheexero
2023-03-12, 08:14 PM
I'm guessing they would react poorly if I started casting a spell, like Enhance Ability for Wisdom.

JNAProductions
2023-03-13, 12:59 PM
I'm guessing they would react poorly if I started casting a spell, like Enhance Ability for Wisdom.

Yes, that's a good guess.