PDA

View Full Version : [Settings] Anyone thought to use 40k for fantasy?

Kiero
2007-12-02, 01:01 PM
While it already has various fantastical elements to it (like psionics), has anyone ever tried using the Warhammer 40,000 setting for fantasy?

There's already easy precedent for this: there are feral and otherwise primitive worlds that never reached the "standard" level of technology that the spacefaring elites of the Imperium take for granted. Some of these backwaters are off the main spacelanes, others were never recovered during the Great Crusade (see Ben Counter's Daemon World), or were cut off by warpstorms subsequently. Not being self-sufficient, without access to the wider Imperium, they slowly degraded in technological terms.

Which means you have low-tech worlds, but still some of the other staples of the setting. Like psionics, daemonic possession and maybe sorcery and Chaos cults as well. Xenosbreeds like ork or tyranid incursions are a possibility too. And there's the ever-present archaeotechnology to be dug up. Imagine what someone might do with a plasma pistol while the weapon still held a charge.

You might say "why not just use Warhammer Fantasy", but that's a different setting. Sure there's some overlaps, but I don't like the baggage that comes with it, like skaven, elves and dwarves, a fixed map with nations on it. This is a blank slate where, depending on the characteristics of the world in question, you could have all kinds of variety.

Thoughts?

GolemsVoice
2007-12-02, 02:15 PM
Of course you could, and with the upcoming RPG there is nothing that keeps you from actually DOING it. It is certainly a nice idea, especially if your heroes are accustomed to the "high-tech" worlds with spaceships and lasguns, and now somehow stranded on what seems to be the last planet before the end of the universe.
But this way you a barring a lot of things that make it Warhammer 40000, like the, well, future. I personnaly would rather like to play with the "full" Warhammer 40000 world, weapons and technology, and consider it a waste of such a good universe, but of course in your Warhammer, you are free to do whatever you like.

Blayze
2007-12-02, 02:32 PM
There's always the Underhivers, I suppose...

SurlySeraph
2007-12-02, 03:12 PM
Yes. (http://www.geocities.com/skrittiblak/) lengthlimit

Kiero
2007-12-02, 04:10 PM
Of course you could, and with the upcoming RPG there is nothing that keeps you from actually DOING it. It is certainly a nice idea, especially if your heroes are accustomed to the "high-tech" worlds with spaceships and lasguns, and now somehow stranded on what seems to be the last planet before the end of the universe.
But this way you a barring a lot of things that make it Warhammer 40000, like the, well, future. I personnaly would rather like to play with the "full" Warhammer 40000 world, weapons and technology, and consider it a waste of such a good universe, but of course in your Warhammer, you are free to do whatever you like.

There's still psionics, the Warp, Chaos, aliens, ancient super-tech, a distant Imperium.

Course if you mean "everything that's considered 40k from the perspective of the wargame", then you're right.

Narmoth
2007-12-02, 04:27 PM
Nice, I would like to try.
Maybe someone would run a pbp game with those rules?