PDA

View Full Version : Not so simple RAW qurestion; Extraordinary Artisan and mundane items

alanek2002
2022-12-31, 10:32 PM
I mean, I view it as simple, but I've gone back and forth a few pages with a friend on discord, so it'll take more than a yes/no to convince either of us at this point. Hence not going to the simple RAW thread.

The question: Does the Extraordinary Artisan feat, from ECS, also apply it's discount when crafting mundane items, or only when crafting magic items? (Ignore the existence of Psionics, I don't want to say magic or psionics every time I say magic below.)

The summation of our viewpoints; Assuming you all can find the feat as I can't copy the direct text here, if I recall board rules correctly. Been a while since I posted a thread.

Opening scrawl of the SRD on item creation feats:

Magic Item Creation

An item creation feat lets a spellcaster create a magic item of a certain type. Regardless of the type of items they involve, the various item creation feats all have certain features in common.

[Person A] argues that this means Extraordinary Artisan can only apply to magical items; Extraordinary artisan is a item creation feat, and they argue the opening sprawl restricts item creation feats to magic items. In addition, table in the book does specify 'item creation' when talking about reducing cost.

[Person B] argues it can apply when crafting any item, including mundane items, per the text in the feat proper.

Notably, legendary artisan which reduces xp cost does specify magical item, but exceptional artisan, which is crafting time, doesn't. (All three feats are from the same book.)

In addition, we have craft alchemical item as an item creation feat, which lets you craft alchemical items specifically without being a spellcaster, as an example of a item creation feat which doesn't follow the format of the scrawl (Which B argues is not rules text in the first place.)

[Person A]: Raw is shaky, leaning against it working. RAI is solidly not working.
[Person B]: Raw is a rock solid Yes.

[Person A] Also wants it noted explicitly that 2 of 3 things referring to the feat specify item creation.
Including the two out of three stat rather than leaving it unsaid. The very uniform position of the various bits of text is a separate piece of evidence that was left implicit rather than explicit, and I felt you could be more clear about that.

What says the playground?

(I'm aware the last quote makes it clear who is who, but eh. Couldn't be bothered to rewrite it into the rest of the post in an anonymized way.)