PDA

View Full Version : Making Mewtwo in 5e?

SociopathFriend
2023-01-01, 01:38 AM
The year is 2023 and we're gonna start it off right.

Namely- I'm asking GitP to help me design Mewtwo from the series Pokemon.

How do we do it? Race can be handwaved but other than that- what do we want to gather in order to recreate Mewtwo as a DnD PC?

Note: As there's a lot of Mewtwo stuff- it's probably best to stick to his cartoon appearances.

TaiLiu
2023-01-01, 02:06 AM
Mewtwo is a Psychic type, so some psionic-type character feels right.

If you're making a monster, you can probably just pile on abilities that do force and psychic damage. Give it telekinesis, flight, telepathy, and teleportation. Make adjustments to power depending on what you what the CR to be.

If you're making a PC, Sorcerer (Aberrant Mind) works very well. Grab fly and some defensive spells and you're practically good to go.

Kane0
2023-01-01, 02:16 AM
Yeah reflavor a Gith or similar and make it an aberrant sorc or use the mystic UA

Dork_Forge
2023-01-01, 03:21 PM
IMO these are the things to hit at least:

- Githzerai reflavoured
- Telekinetic Feat
- Telepathic Feat
- Soulknife or Psi Warrior, the latter would allow skipping weapons. Ideally Mystic would probably be best here.

animorte
2023-01-02, 10:23 PM
My first thought was immediately Telekinetic feat. I had to think through several (sub)classes, but I really like Psi-Warrior for this.

I’ve never messed with the Mystic, but Aberrant Mind sounds good. Gives you more of the blasting that Mewtwo likes to show off.

SociopathFriend
2023-01-03, 02:38 AM
My first thought was immediately Telekinetic feat. I had to think through several (sub)classes, but I really like Psi-Warrior for this.

I’ve never messed with the Mystic, but Aberrant Mind sounds good. Gives you more of the blasting that Mewtwo likes to show off.

Blasting, Mind Control, Telekinesis, probably some sort of barrier too

Sorcerer does sounds like it'd be handy for getting all the right toys.

TaiLiu
2023-01-03, 07:19 PM
Blasting, Mind Control, Telekinesis, probably some sort of barrier too

Sorcerer does sounds like it'd be handy for getting all the right toys.
Huh? Does Mewtwo ever mind control anyone? I recall barriers and blasts and telekinesis... but not mind control.

JNAProductions
2023-01-03, 07:50 PM
Huh? Does Mewtwo ever mind control anyone? I recall barriers and blasts and telekinesis... but not mind control.

I think he did kinda that in Detective Pikachu.

It’s not completely out of left field.

Dork_Forge
2023-01-03, 07:53 PM

In the first movie he mind controls Nurse Joy to act as his human mouth piece until the trainers are all collected.

TaiLiu
2023-01-03, 08:33 PM
I think he did kinda that in Detective Pikachu.

It’s not completely out of left field.

In the first movie he mind controls Nurse Joy to act as his human mouth piece until the trainers are all collected.
Oh, I see. I never watched the detective movie and haven't watched the first movie in a while. So I guess I forgot about it.

furby076
2023-01-04, 01:14 AM
I would throw in misty step and have him be able to do it as a reaction.
Telepathy for sure.
UA Mystic will be able to cover him easily.
High dex, Int, Con
Medium Cha, Wis
Low str

SociopathFriend
2023-01-04, 01:30 AM
Oh, I see. I never watched the detective movie and haven't watched the first movie in a while. So I guess I forgot about it.

Useless facts about movies, books, and games from the 90s are my only perk.

I would throw in misty step and have him be able to do it as a reaction.
Telepathy for sure.
UA Mystic will be able to cover him easily.
High dex, Int, Con
Medium Cha, Wis
Low str

Just to be clear- I'm 99% of the time going to be a player so tweaking spells is, generally, out of the question.

furby076
2023-02-10, 12:26 AM
Useless facts about movies, books, and games from the 90s are my only perk.

Just to be clear- I'm 99% of the time going to be a player so tweaking spells is, generally, out of the question.

Then awakened mind mystic. See if you can get mystic step at some point (magic item).

As for race, go for kalashtar or vhuman and reskin as necessary

Segev
2023-02-10, 08:08 AM
I would honestly ask the DM if I could use the 5e Spheres of Power, and then go for the Telekinesis Sphere as a heavy focus, sprinkling in Protection and Mind for flavor.

http://spheres5e.wikidot.com/start

Sticking to core rules, I would refluff an Aarakocra for the flying speed. The flying rules are very forgiving in 5e, permitting essentially hovering even with wings, so it isn't a power boost over the base race to make it telekinetic flight. Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is an obvious choice, but I would also be tempted by Great Old One Warlock for Awakened Mind. Refluff eldritch blast as picking up and flinging random object and debris. Take Pact of the Talisman for the skill boost and to represent the ability to 'bless' others with your psychic gifts.

Psyren
2023-02-10, 11:01 AM
I would do Custom Lineage here. Not only would this give you full freedom to customize his appearance, this would also let you get a head start on picking up Telekinetic/Telepathic.

Class of course would be Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, though you could ask the DM to make you Int-based instead.

Damon_Tor
2023-02-10, 02:55 PM
Create a Resilient Sphere to surround yourself, then Catapult to launch the sphere at your enemies. IIRC this is how Mew and Mewtwo fought each other in the first movie. Just summoning bubbles around themselves and smashing into each other.

Segev
2023-02-11, 12:52 AM
Create a Resilient Sphere to surround yourself, then Catapult to launch the sphere at your enemies. IIRC this is how Mew and Mewtwo fought each other in the first movie. Just summoning bubbles around themselves and smashing into each other.

Cool idea, but definitely an "ask your DM" one: it's unclear whether the resilient sphere renders its contents weightless, as well, or just the sphere itself doesn't have weight to add to the calculation if you're trying to lift the contents. This is further emphasized by the fact that Beads of Force explicitly set their own weight + that of their contents to 1 lb., while resilient sphere doesn't state it has effect on its contents in this regard.

I see how a DM could rule it does, but I also see how a DM could rule it does not. (I actually lean towards "does not" being more in line with the RAW despite thinking that "does" is cooler.)

SociopathFriend
2023-02-12, 02:20 AM
Refluff eldritch blast as picking up and flinging random object and debris. Take Pact of the Talisman for the skill boost and to represent the ability to 'bless' others with your psychic gifts.

I mean- Mewtwo and Mew were both hurling those balls of energy at one another before they decided to BECOME balls of energy- so it's not as though raw blasting magic would be out of place.

shinakuma2
2023-02-14, 01:09 AM
Cool idea, but definitely an "ask your DM" one: it's unclear whether the resilient sphere renders its contents weightless, as well, or just the sphere itself doesn't have weight to add to the calculation if you're trying to lift the contents.

The catapult spell requires "one object weighing 1 to 5 pounds." If the sphere is weightless it doesn't qualify.

Damon_Tor
2023-02-14, 02:35 AM
The catapult spell requires "one object weighing 1 to 5 pounds." If the sphere is weightless it doesn't qualify.

Yeah I keep conflating it with Beads of Force.

Hawk7915
2023-02-14, 01:55 PM
I would do Custom Lineage here. Not only would this give you full freedom to customize his appearance, this would also let you get a head start on picking up Telekinetic/Telepathic.

Class of course would be Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, though you could ask the DM to make you Int-based instead.

Psyren has the right answer - I can't see any other approach that works well here? As a few alternatives:

- Abjuration Wizard gets you Intelligence Primary if you need it, and is the ultimate "bubble mage" especially with a feat for Eldritch Invocation: Armor of Shadows for infinite Mage Armors and infinite Ward HP. The biggest loss over Aberrant Mind is that you have to burn a feat for Telepathy and you'd need to burn a separate feat if you really wanted Dissonant Whispers on your spell-list (which is a lot of feats if you also wanted Telekinetic). Wizard gets most of the other classic telekinetic and telepathic spells though.

- Genie Warlock is sorta funny, since you can literally have a Pokeball for your teammates to carry you around in. That gets you Eldritch Blastery if that is what you want. On the one hand, none of the genies fit - on the other, Mewtwo learns Blizzard, Fireblast, and Thunder, so any of them fit? :smallbiggrin: