PDA

View Full Version : Satyr's Sadistic Spellpoint System

Satyr
2007-12-02, 01:59 PM
I never liked the Vancian magic system. And 'never liked' is a great euphemism. It is the reason why I hate playing spellcasters. Therefore I searched for alternatives, but never found something I really liked. Therefore I did it myself.
Instead of a fixed number of spellslots, spellcasters get a number of spellpoints which can be distributed among his or her spells. Casters who have to prepare their daily spells still afford to do so. Three spellpoints can be three level 1 spells as well as one level 3 spell. Every spell takes his level of spellpoints to be casted, cantrips or other Level 0 spells count as 0.5 spell points. The number of spellpoints which can be channeled per turn are limited though, therefore more powerful spells need a longer time to be casted.

{table=head]Class Level|Channeling (Full Casters)
1-6|1/turn
7-12|2/turn
12-18|3/turn
19+| 4/turn[/table]

{table=head]Class Level|Channeling (Weak Casters)
1-8|1/turn
9-16|2/turn
17+|3/turn[/table]

A 15th level wizard (spelllchanneling 3/turn) could cast a lvl. 3 spell every turn, a lvl. 4,5 or 6 spell in two turns or a lvl. 7 spell in three turns.

Spellpoint channeling is a Standard Action. Metamagic Feats need as many spell points as their modified level indicates. The Quicken Spell Feat doesn’t exist.
Spellpoints are gained like hitpoints , meaning somewhat random. A typical full caster would get (1D6 + ability bonus) spellpoints per level. This is maximized at 1st level.

Spellpoint regeneration: Per day, a spellcaster regenerates his caster level + main ability x2 per day, and an additional d4 per hour of meditation (this does not include sleep). For example, a lvl. 15 wizard with Intelligence 18 would regenerate 38 spellpoints per day, +3 d4 if he meditates for three hours.

To summerize, spellcasters are a lot more flexible what spells they wish to cast. Overall, they can cast a lesser total amount of spells, but they have much more influence which spells they want to cast. Spellcasting times are prolonged, making low level spells more attractive, because they are faster to cast.

Now, show me how this system can be abused in the most horrible way.

And what you think of it.

Chris_tian
2007-12-02, 02:33 PM
I have some questions.

1) Usually there is something that determines if spells are a fullround action or maybe only a standard action, how would you determine that in your system. Are all spells full round actions?

2) There are a few spells with a casting time of 10 minutes and others which takes more than a turn. What about those?

Satyr
2007-12-02, 02:47 PM
Usually there is something that determines if spells are a fullround action or maybe only a standard action, how would you determine that in your system. Are all spells full round actions?

spellcasting takes still as long as indicated in the spell descrition; in most cases this means a standard action.

There are a few spells with a casting time of 10 minutes and others which takes more than a turn. What about those?

Spellcasting which is not measured in rounds needs as much time as before. Spells which need several turns to be casted add the necessary spellchanelling time to the total span; a spell which effords 2 rounds to be channeled and two rounds to be casted will take effectively 4 rounds to be fulfilled.