PDA

View Full Version : You just gained a level in real life: 2023 edition!

Troacctid
2023-01-03, 07:05 PM
A new year, a new level!

You can choose any class to gain a level in, and you gain the benefits of that level for yourself in real life. What would you choose?

Rules
Before posting, please consult the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F9_HAZgHMTlsurJUs96IzO2_VVq8rZmZaKpbjC3Y2YA/edit?usp=sharing) to double-check whether you have any other levels already! If you participated in this exercise in previous years, you keep the level(s) you had before, meaning you may now be as high as level 8! Those levels are all locked in as of the new year. However, if you didn't post in the thread that year, you did not level up.

Use 3.5e or Pathfinder, whichever you're most familiar with. 3.5e includes Dragon Magazine and official web enhancements. By popular demand, 3rd party material (for either edition) is allowed and counts as a separate, third category. If you're familiar with multiple editions, you can do all of them individually if you like, and have two or three different versions of your build, all of which will be the same level.

As part of gaining your first level, you gain your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), arranged as you like. These scores control your "game" attributes such as spellcasting and skill points, and the associated modifiers will be layered over your real-life abilities to make you stronger or weaker in that stat, as appropriate.

Similarly, any skills and other abilities that you gain from your class levels will be layered on top of whatever you can already do. If you get a bonus to something, you will become that much better at that thing, and if you get a penalty, you'll become that much worse. For example, whatever languages you already speak would be your automatic languages, and if you gain a bonus language due to your Intelligence score, you can learn a new one. If you take the Murky-Eyed flaw in order to gain Endurance as a bonus feat, you'll be a better athlete, but you'll be wanting a new pair of eyeglasses.

As a human, you gain the normal benefits of being a human. In Pathfinder, that includes the ability score bonus, and you can choose variant traits if it suits you. In 3.5e, you can still get the +2 ability bonus to one score by trading away your bonus feat and skill points via the Complacent Human variant. Aging modifiers apply as normal.

The reason we're doing it one level at a time is because part of the fun of the exercise is seeing the gradual payoff of your choices and maybe even changing your mind about some of them and going in a new direction. It also makes it into a fun annual tradition as well.

Bonus points if you stat out a whole character sheet!

Previous threads
2022 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?640962-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2022-edition!)
2021 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624809-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2021-edition!)
2020 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?605712-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2020-edition!)
2019 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577453-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take)
2018 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?546315-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take)
2017 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510641-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take)
2016 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476465-Every-year-starting-now-you-gain-a-level-IRL-What-is-your-build)

FAQ
Q: Do I model my abilities after my abilities IRL?
A: No. Arrange your ability scores however you like according to one of the arrays given above. You will then become stronger or weaker or smarter or dumber accordingly.

Q: Do magic abilities work? I mean, magic isn't real, right?
A: Yes, magic abilities work. Rumors that Earth is a dead magic zone have apparently been grossly exaggerated.

Q: Are other people in the world leveling up too?
A: Only the people who have posted in this thread.

Q: Will I be leveling up again in the future? If so, when?
A: Maybe you will and maybe you won't. I guess it depends on whether you post in the thread each year!

Q: Is retraining allowed?
A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system.

Q: What about rebuilding?
A: Pathfinder rules allow for rebuilds; 3.5e rules do not.

Q: Am I going to lose any of the skills and abilities I already have and replace them with game statistics?
A: No. The level you gain is layered on top of everything you can already do, and any modifiers apply to your existing skills as a baseline. You can think of it as a gestalt build if that helps.

Q: Can we assume that reality operates under D&D rules? Like, if I put ranks in Diplomacy, can I now roll a DC whatever check to turn someone Helpful?
A: No. This is a case of "The map is not the territory." D&D rules are ultimately an abstraction for how things "actually" work in the game world. Real life still plays by real-life rules. More skill points and higher ability scores means you are better at whatever that number represents, but you aren't actually making skill checks or consulting a table to determine your carrying capacity based on your Strength score. Humans in the game all have a speed of 30 feet, but your actual speed will exhibit the normal amount of variance. In the D&D 3.5e, drinking a vial of arsenic will deal you between 0 and 9 points of Constitution damage over the course of 1 minute, and then you're fine—but if you drink a vial of arsenic in real life, you die. And so on.

Q: How do gp costs work?
A: They use up money or material wealth at a reasonable exchange rate. Specifics aren't important; we're not here to do math. If you like, you can instead give yourself standard WBL for your level and use that as a budget for gp costs. And if you want to use something like Craft or Profession to generate income, see the previous answer about reality operating under D&D rules.

Q: How do xp costs work?
A: You accumulate xp over time by literally accumulating experiences. Over the course of one year, you can earn xp equal to your level x 1000 at a fairly constant rate of about 20 xp per level per week, provided you spend time living your life and doing meaningful things. You do not gain xp in any other way. The amount of xp you can hold at a time is limited to your level x 1000. (This is based on the xp a character of your level could have in-game.) This is only used for xp costs, not for leveling up; to level up, xp total doesn't matter, you just post in the yearly thread and that's it.

Q: What counts as a meaningful life experience for earning xp?
A: As long as you're not in a coma, or mindlessly watching TV all day, or whatever, you can expect to get your xp. There is one exception: you cannot earn xp on any day that you spend xp. Activities like crafting will temporarily pause your xp gain until they are completed.

Q: I get that I have to be a human, but can I take a template?
A: Template classes are fair game as long as you have at least one real class level first. Use savage progression rules for them, even if the template class wouldn't normally work that way. Any template that can't be taken as a template class is probably going to be unavailable, unless you can somehow gain it via class features. For 3.5 characters, you can take UA bloodline levels as if they were a template class: taking 1 bloodline level unlocks the benefit of a minor bloodline, and subsequent bloodline levels upgrade it to the next category up.

Q: What about setting-specific material, or regional requirements?
A: Assume they are adapted to another, similar requirement that makes sense in our world. Specifics aren't important.

Q: What about inherited powers? Can I take Draconic Heritage even though I'm not descended from dragons?
A: Much like how you can take sorcerer levels without worrying about your ancestry, any sort of bloodline-related power works fine even if you don't actually have an ancestor who was a dragon, or a fey, or a member of a dragonmarked bloodline, etc. Much like in the game world, these effects are usually inherited but can also represent spontaneously gaining powers due to magical influences.

Q: Is 3.0 material available?
A: 3.0 psionics is unavailable, as the system for it is defunct. Most other unupdated 3.0 material is probably okay, but may not work as expected due to the changes inherent in the revision. Use it at your own risk.

Q: I have a question about how a particular rules interaction would work under this model.
A: You can ask in the thread, but here are two general rules of thumb. First, most things work the way they'd be expected to work in an actual fantasy world, so if one interpretation of a rule would conflict with established D&D canon if it were true, and another wouldn't, the latter one is probably correct. (This ties into that "The map is not the territory" principle from a previous answer.) Second, if you would normally have to consult with your DM about how it works, you can assume you don't know the answer as you make your decision—you'd have to try the interaction and find out for yourself. For the purpose of this exercise, I'll act as the referee for such things and adjudicate what would happen.

Q: If I take crafting feats, what items can I craft?
A: As long as you have the prerequisites, you can craft any existing, published magic item, or combinations thereof (at the appropriate price modifiers). You cannot invent a custom item unless you are a 3PP build. Items can be combined with one another according to the normal rules for your edition (in 3.5, see MIC p233), and you have some leeway as to their exact appearance (for example, a head slot item could be any headgear of your choice). For 3.5 builds, don't forget that you can give your crafting feats signature traits, per DMG2 p230!

Q: What about custom prestige race alterations?
A: Eh, sure, subject to the same limits on magic items. It has to be based on an existing magic item, and you'll pay 40% of the item's market price in xp. Just arrange them into a focus path of up to four alterations that are thematically cohesive with one another. You can have up to two such custom foci.

Q: If I take Leadership, how does my cohort work?
A: Much like in the game, a cohort has to be an existing character. So, for our purposes, you choose one of your real-life cohorts, and that person gains as many class levels as a cohort would have, and levels up along with you as you post each year. It's up to the cohort to decide what levels to take; you don't decide for them. You can also designate followers according to your leadership score; only NPC class levels are available to followers. If you want to take Dragon Cohort but you don't have any dragon friends in real life (and you can't cast lesser dragon ally to call one), I will allow it to be applied to a reptilian pet, which then gains draconic powers.

Q: I'm an artificer. Can I cherry-pick the lowest-level version of every spell to make items more cheaply?
A: You can only draw from the spell lists of base classes and domains, or, for a psionic artificer, from the power lists of base classes, mantles, and disciplines. (Psionic artificers cannot convert spells to powers; that's an erudite ability only.) You can also draw from any spell list that is called out specifically in the spell's description (e.g. exalted spells, or spells exclusive to Initiate feats). Prestige class spell lists are not available (unless the prestige class is called out in the spell description, as seen with the assassin and blackguard spells in Spell Compendium). This applies to the artificer as well as the chameleon and other, similar abilities.

Q: Can I research spells?
A: Sure. If you're a wizard or erudite, this is probably how you'll be learning a lot of your spells. Use the rules in the DMG (or whatever the PF equivalent is). Tell me what you're trying to research and your rationale for why it should be possible for your class at the level you want it, and I'll adjudicate the result. You still pay the cost regardless of whether your research succeeds or fails. If the spell is on your class spell list at that level already (wizards), spoiler alert, you'll succeed.

Q: How exactly does this world work? Is the timeline altered by our previous levels? Do we know about other players? Are we making decisions for ourselves, or are these benefits applied to parallel universe version of ourselves? Etc.
A: I think it's fine to envision it however you like, but I bet that parallel timeline idea would make for some cool fanfiction. If you'd like to share your idea of what the last year would have been like for the leveled-up version of you, please do!

Jack_Simth
2023-01-03, 07:54 PM
Continuing with Oracle. I'll need to look up what I get at 8th when I have a bit more time....

Oh, and did anyone go after the bait I was leaving out?

Crichton
2023-01-03, 08:14 PM
Human
STR 9, DEX 11, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 8 (INT increased by one now at level 4)

Erudite 6
ACF: Convert Spell to Power
Level 1 Feat: Extend Power
Human Bonus Feat: Hidden Talent (Dimensional Pocket)
Level 3 Feat: Imprint Stone
Level 5 Bonus Feat: Craft Universal Item
Level 6 Feat: Craft Dorje

PP: 43 (35 base, 6 from Int, 2 from Hidden Talent)
UPPD: 4

Psicrystal:

HD 6
Str 1, Dex 15, Con -, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 11 (increased CHA by one at HD4)
HD 1 Feat: Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop)
HD 3 Feat: Draconic Aura: Vigor
HD 6 Feat: Draconic Aura: Toughness

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-03, 08:30 PM
Another level of chameleon it is.

Telonius
2023-01-03, 09:13 PM
Woohoo! So glad this is back! :smallsmile:

From last year, Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 2....

So, new level: Eldritch Disciple 2.

Current build: Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 2.

+1 to Invocation/Cleric casting. No new Invocations this level, but I'm now casting as a Cleric5, meaning 3rd-level spells - and the big personal payoff for Cleric casting. I cast Remove Blindness/Deafness on myself (twice), and never have to worry about glasses or hearing aids again. Also, Remove Disease just as the Omicron variant starts to mess things up. Family and friends are now relatively safe. (Still only 1 3rd-level spell a day, but I can space it out if necessary).

New skill points; keeping up on Know (Religion), Heal, and UMD; and I now have the 5 ranks in Balance to not be flat-footed while balancing.

Level 7: Know (Religion) 10, Heal 10, UMD 7, Balance 5

The weird coincidences (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25392604&postcount=266) continue. Last year I got access to Remove Blindness/Deafness. As of about three hours ago, my first cochlear implant was turned on. So, I'm halfway there (and still feeling really excited about it!)

This year, no surprise: Eldritch Disciple 3. Reflex save and BAB go up one, and a caster level of Divine and Invoking. I'm casting as a 6th-level Cleric and Invoking as a 4th-level Warlock. New Invocation, and time to get serious about my future. Now that Heal is up to 10 (for Healing Lorecall), and Knowledge (Religion) is about as high as I care for it to get, I'm splitting the precious few skill points between UMD and Spellcraft; and getting the Darkness invocation. (Yep, aiming for the Shadowmaster Epic feat way, way down the road; and hoping that the site still exists in some form in 13 years). Stat increase this level! Going to put it in Wisdom again (have to keep bumping it to get access to the higher-level Cleric spells). Speaking of, still sitting at 3rd-level Cleric spells for now.

Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 3

Str: 8
Dex 9
Con 10
Int 12
Wis 13->14 (lvl 4 stat bump)->15 (lvl 8 stat bump)
Cha 11

Human
Feats:
1: Extra Turning (fuel for later), Able Learner (I like skill points)
3: Augment Healing (less worrying about injuries)
6: Extend Spell

Deity: Olidammara. Domains: Trickery, Luck, Knowledge (from Cloistered)
Alignment: CN

Skills
Level 1: Know (Religion) 4, Know (Planes) 4, Heal 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Decipher Script 4, Concentration 4, UMD 2, Balance 2
Level 2: Know (Religion) 5, Heal 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Decipher Script 5, Concentration 5, Know (History) 2
Level 3: Know (Religion) 6, Heal 6, Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Concentration 6, UMD 3, Balance 3, Know (History) 3
Level 4: Know (Religion) 7, Heal 7, UMD 4, Know (History) 4
Level 5: Know (religion) 8, Heal 8, UMD 5, Know (History) 5, Diplomacy 7, Bluff 7, Sense Motive 2
Level 6: Know (Religion) 9, Heal 9, UMD 6, Balance 4
Level 7: Know (Religion) 10, Heal 10, UMD 7, Balance 5
Level 8: UMD 8, Spellcraft 3

Invocation: Beguiling Influence, Call of the Wild, Darkness.
Gift of the Divine Patron: Fearful Glare.

aglondier
2023-01-03, 09:21 PM
Happy New Year everyone. Woohoo...3rd level wizard...first up, retraining my Skill Focus to Spellcraft. Between Craft Wondrous Item and the Arcane Discovery of Arcane Builder focused on CWI, I manage to find the time to do quite a bit of magic item crafting. I also squeeze in time to research a few 2nd level spells, starting with the other 4 attribute enhancers...needless to say, amongst the first things I craft are a Headband and Belt...

Alex
Race, Class, and Level: Human (Australian), Wizard (Arcane Crafter) 3
Size, Type, and Alignment: Medium, Humanoid (human), Neutral-ish
Init and Senses: Initiative +1; Perception +3.
AC: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10.
hp: 14 (3d6 HD)
Saving Throws: Fortitude +1, Reflex +2, Willpower +4.
Speed: 30'.
Melee: dagger (+0 melee, 1d4-1 damage, 19-20/x2).
Ranged: dagger (+2 ranged, 1d4-1 damage, 10' range, 19-20/x2).
Spells Known/Spells Prepared:
Acid Splash; Arcane Mark; Bleed; Breeze; Chameleon Scales; Conjurer's Toolbelt; Dancing Lights; Daze; Detect Fiendish Presence; Detect Magic; Detect Poison; Disrupt Undead; Drench; Flare; Ghost Sound; Grasp; Haunted Fey Aspect; Jolt; Mage Hand; Mending; Message; Oath of Anonymity; Open/Close; Penumbra; Prestidigitation; Ray of Frost; Read Magic; Resistance; Root; Scoop; Scrivener's Chant; Sotto Voce; Spark; Touch of Fatigue; Vacuous Vessel;
Arcane Pocket; Celestial Healing; Crafter's Fortune; Snapdragon Fireworks; Unseen Servant.
Brightest Night; Skill Lore; Ward, Lesser; Abundant Ammunition; Blood Money; Comprehend Languages; Cultural Adaptation; Detect Metal; Endure Elements; Expeditious Retreat; Feather Fall; Hypnotism; Air Bubble; Magic Missile; Anticipate Peril; Heightened Awareness; Implant Urge; Longshot; Mage Armour; Magic Weapon; Secluded Grimoire; Sleep; Speak Local Language; Summon Monster I; True Skill; True Strike; Urban Grace; Magic Aura; Disguise Self.
Bear's Endurance; Bull's Strength; Cat's Grace; Eagle's Splendour; Fox's Cunning; Owl's Wisdom;
Spells Prepared: Conjurer's Toolbelt; Ghost Sound; Mending; Prestidigitation; Crafter's Fortune; Disguise Self; Unseen Servant.
Ability Scores: Strength 9, Dexterity 13, Constitution 11, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 12, Charisma 14.
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (spellcraft), Secret Capital, Craft Wondrous Item, Discovery: Arcane Builder
Traits: Duskwalker Agent; Focused Study; Innovative; Spark of Creation.
Skills: Craft (calligraphy) +11, Craft (gunsmith) +11, Fly +7, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Spellcraft +15.
Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Sign-language.

Biscuit, cat familiar (valet). Sadly, some bastard killed my cat a few months back...might be a little while before I get another familiar...

Future build notes: max advance in spellcraft and K(arc), splash extra points across knowledges and crafts, with an eye towards gunslinging at some point in the future. Spell picks for utility in real world and for crafting/enchanting.

Going through the Downtime rules again a few months back had me discovering one little throwaway line where it says your effective Leadership must be greater than the combined levels of any Teams you acquire...which means that teams of Craftsmen (3x Expert level 4, total 12) are beyond my reach for now, and I have had to go back and correct a lot of math...

StSword
2023-01-03, 09:45 PM
Another level of Chef for me, now level 5.

My income from being a chef now increased sevenfold- making profession checks daily.

And I now can make potions of a third level spell- I guess Remove disease would be the most useful in the real world. Lots of sick people.

Wildstag
2023-01-03, 10:19 PM
It continues to hurt that I took level 1 in Barbarian, and also that Shapeshift Druid does not work with Druidic Avenger. But alas, I'll take another level in Druid, bringing me to Barb1/Druid4. Now in Predator Form (which is almost always) I gain the benefit of a bonus Mobility feat. Wooo! Another step closer to 3rd level spells.

Level 3 Neutral Good Human Barbarian1/Shapeshift-Druid2

Ability Scores:

Strength 12
Dexterity 8
Constitution 10
Intelligence 9
Wisdom 14
Charisma 11

BAB and Saves:

Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +6

Skills: Climb 4 ranks, Survival 6 ranks, Swim 4 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks, Spot 2 ranks, Profession (Wilderness Guide) 5 ranks

Spells: I would prepare Light, Mending, and Cure Minor Wounds on a regular basis. As a side note, Know Direction is hot garbage. For my 1st level spell, Endure Elements daily, Goodberry before an expedition, and either Produce Flame or Shillelagh (probably the latter) as a combat option.

0th: 1 Light, 2 Mending, 1 Cure Minor Wounds

1st: 1 Endure Elements, 2 Shillelagh, 1 Pass Without Trace

2nd: 1 Tern's Persistence, 1 Primal Hunter, 1 Finns to Feet

Feats: Extra Rage, Reckless Rage, Wild Cohort, Mobility (B)(While in Shapeshift)

Flaw: Wild (Dragon 329)

Class Features: Fast Movement, illiteracy, Rage 3/day, Nature Sense (+2 Knowledge (Nature) and Survival), Wild Empathy, Shapeshift (Predator Form: Puma), Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure

Wild Cohort: Light Horse.

With Predator Form and Rage, I get 22 Strength. Pretty good for level 4 and the non-elite array.

bekeleven
2023-01-03, 11:49 PM
Well, the best class level after Warlock 2 is Warlock 3. I have a caster level and lots of free crafting XP, but no spells known, so I'll be taking Craft Magical Arms and Armor for my feat. (I can retrain it later.) My 4 skill points will be spent on Diplomacy, Bluff, Disguise, and Spellcraft.

Total build:

Chaotic Neutral Human Warlock 3
8/11/9/13/10/12

Attacks: BAB +2; Melee +1; Ranged +3; Grapple +1
Saves: Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +3

Feats: Murky Eyed (Flaw), Grudge Keeper (Flaw). Feats: Able Learner (1), Silver Tongue (Human), Noble Born (+Flaw), Slow Maturation (+Flaw), Craft Magical Arms and Armor [Trait:Clean] (3).
Skills (24 ranks): Bluff 6 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks, Disguise 1 rank, Intimidate 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 1 rank, Sense Motive 5 ranks, Spellcraft 1 rank. Languages: Common, Mandarin.
Class Features and Invocations: DR 1/Cold Iron, Eldritch Blast 2D6, Detect Magic, Beguiling Influence, Call of the Beast.

Skills at this point: Bluff +13 (6 Ranks, 1 Cha, 6 Influence), Diplomacy +19 (6 Ranks, 1 Cha, 6 Influence, 4 Synergy), Disguise +2 (1 Rank, 1 Cha), Intimidate +13 (4 Ranks, 1 Cha, 6 Influence, 2 Synergy), Knowledge (Arcana) +2 (1 Ranks, 1 Int), Sense Motive +5 (5 Ranks), Spellcraft +2 (1 Rank, 1 Cha)

Now that I have skill synergies I can start branching out my skills to grab Chameleon prerequisites. After looking at my feat situation, I'm not actually grabbing Obtain Familiar any time soon, so there's no pressing need to level up Arcana.

Normally I'd be looking into UMD, but since this takes place on earth, I don't expect to encounter a ton of magical devices I myself didn't make. And I can just make ones I can use without checks.

Do I get to use my (2k XP) crafting pool the same level I take the crafting feat, or no?

El Dorado
2023-01-04, 12:01 AM
Happy New Year!

My transmuter hits level 7. That means new spells like dimension door, and a new feat like Forge Ring. Keeping Arcana and Spellcraft maxed out. By now I should have a stat boosting item for Intelligence.

Human Transmuter 7
Init +2; Senses Perception +7
DEFENSE
AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
hp 30
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee club +3 (1d6)
Ranged none
Arcane School Spell-like Abilities (CL 7th; concentration +10)
6/day—telekinetic fist (1d4+3)
Transmuter Spells Prepared (CL 7th; concentration +10)
4th--dimension door, lesser age resistance (b)
3rd--clairvoyance, dispel magic, fly (b), sleet storm
2nd--bull's strength (b), invisibility, levitate, make whole, protection from arrows
1st--comprehend languages, disguise self, endure elements, feather fall (b), mage armor, obscuring mist
0 (at will)--detect magic, mage hand, mending, prestidigitation
Opposition Schools: Enchantment, Necromancy

STATISTICS
Str 10, Dex (11) 9, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 13
Favored Class: wizard (+7 skill points)
Feats: Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Wand (w), Craft Wondrous Item, Forge Ring, Scribe Scroll [b], Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
Skills: Fly +10, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (geography, history, local) +10, Knowledge (nature, planes) +7, Linguistics +13, Perception +7, Spellcraft +17
Traits: Classically Schooled, Reactionary
Languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, Japanese, Latin, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
SQ arcane bond (weasel), physical enhancement +2

My telepath also reaches level 7 which gives access to the all-important Psychic Reformation power. Any previous power, feat, and skill choices can be rapidly changed

Human Psion (Telepath) 7
Init +1; Senses Perception +7
DEFENSE
AC 9, touch 9, flat-footed 9 (-1 Dex)
hp 36 (includes psionic body)
Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +5
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee club +3 (1d6-1)
Ranged none
Powers Known (CL 7th; concentration +12)
4th--fold space, psychic reformation
3rd--dispel psionics, energy bolt, psionic blast, telekinetic force
2nd--compelling voice, concussion blast, defy gravity, read thoughts
1st--empathic connection, inertial armor, mind link, slumber, vigor
0 (at will)--conceal thoughts, detect psionics, far hand, telepathic lash
Power Points per day: 65

STATISTICS
Str 9, Dex 8, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
Base Atk +3; CMB +2; CMD 11
Feats: Craft Cognizance Crystal, Craft Wand, Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Body, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Talent
Skills: Autohypnosis +11, Bluff +17 (with conceal thoughts), Diplomacy +9, Knowledge (psionics) +13, Linguistics +5, Perception +11 (with psicrystal), Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +13
Traits: Focused Mind, Reactionary
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
SQ mental intrusion, psicrystal (meticulous)

edit: corrected sample spell list and psionic template

NCat
2023-01-04, 04:58 AM
Ah, a new year, and that means a new level! I intend to continue my hopes for Anima mage, though, I've also noticed a mistake I made in my earlier plans, that being that precocious apprentice needs to be taken at 1st level. Oops.

Well, all that means is that it just takes 2 more levels of spellcasting to get there. Not a problem, I can live with that.

So with that, I take my second character level, Sha Ir 1. Hopefully I can meet with some other spell-casters in this thread and identify a few of their spells. Im unsure if Sha-Ir can research spells, or if I can Identify spells from my Binder level, but if possible, I'd definitely do those as well.

Though, for now I only have 5 0th level, and 3 spells of 1st level in my known spells.

Mending
Mage Hand
Dancing Lights

Unseen Servant. Simply put, having an invisible force to handle tasks is pretty helpful. Range is limited at this level, but still, a servant to fetch things, handle housework, and so forth it. The duration is nice too, plenty can be done in an hour.
Friendly Face. With my charisma focus, and my need for good diplomacy thanks to needing it to cast spells, a +5 bonus to diplomacy checks is pretty nice.
Disguise Self. While this is a little bit redundant due to having a vestige that can grant it at will, the ability to have disguise self regardless of vestige prepared is nice, as well as not losing my voice sometimes in exchange. I just like the spell a bunch too, so yeah, being able to change outfits or my appearance is just something that is cool to me <:

Alongside my known spells, I'm pretty sure I can have my "Unknown but recognized" spell list filled with spells I get from my binder levels, so, thats pretty good. Researching whether this was possible or not was a bit interesting, since technically, all binder spells are spell like abilities, so I cant "Identify them as they are being cast" since that requires them to have Vocal/Somatic components, and SLA's have none. However, I can identify spells by way of "Identify a spell thatÂ’s already in place and in effect", meaning I'm still able to identify them.

So, with the green lady, that means I can slowly work out all my 1st level spells, and any further leveled ones I get from future binding levels. Which, yeah, checks out since its not like I can easily sit in and watch other casters cast spells in this world. Ive gotta transfer information across my different trainings.

I'm also able to research spells, though, that has a gold cost, and I dont think we've got a gold-to-dollar conversion worked out? Because yeah, at later levels, my ability to get extra spells will depend on research, and the price conversion causes a big difference in number of spells learnt. Ill leave that as a "Presumably, I'd have a few extra spells than what I have written here, but I'm not too sure how many."

Its not worth listing them like my other lists at present, since that would require listing every 1st level wizard spell, which is, unnecessary. Its just "All of them". I'll probably create a proper list for non 1st levels as I find ways to identify them.

Oh, I also have Invisibility, through Malphas. I cant actually cast that, but yeah, thats on the list

As for the Gen, I'll have to find a way to get the money to summon it, since I'm unsure if I get it for free on taking the 1st level, and I assume I don't. Though, I'll take the Air Gen, once I've gotten to summoning it.

Last thing I get are new skill points to spend. We've only got a +1 to int, so we're limited to just 3 points. Makes me sorta wish I went for Nymph's Kiss earlier, oh well, maybe some other year. We'll put 1 point into Knowledge (The Planes), bringing us to 3, since we need 4 for anima mage, and I might as well deal with a bit of it now. Ill put a second into Diplomacy, since diplomacy is always good, and for the last one, I think Ill put it into Bluff?

Now, the reason for this choice of Bluff is kinda lame, but with my own DnD group, I've kinda realised my ability to voices for characters... sucks? Plus disguise self and all, but yeah, I wanna do voices. But, theres no real "voices" skill, so my best bets were either Bluff (as in, imitating voices), or Perform (as in, voice acting I guess?). Perform is off class, so not that easy an investment. So yeah, bluff might end up getting more ranks as I get levels for this purpose alone. Though, next level up is a year away, so who knows.

Edit: Forgot I'm human and have a 4th skill point to use, we put that also into Knowledge (The Planes), bringing us to the needed 4 for Anima Mage, so next year and so one we have more fun things to do with our points <:

Levels: Binder 1, Sha Ir 1

Dex: 9
Con: 11
Wis: 10
Int: 12
Cha: 13

Feats:
- Ignore Special Requirements
- Improved Binding
- Expel Vestige
- [Meta] Extend Spell

Character Traits:
Polite (+1 to diplomacy, -2 to intimidate)
Absent Minded (+1 to knowledge checks, -1 to spot and listen)

Flaws:
Methodical Magical Methods
Non-combatant

Skill Ranks: Diplomacy +5, Sense Motive +2, Bluff +3, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Intimidate +4, Craft (Art) +2, Speak Language (Dutch), Speak Language (Portuguese).

Spells Known (Sha Ir):

0th Level

Dancing Lights
Mage Hand
Mending

1st Level

Disguise Self
Friendly Face
Unseen Servant

Yup, thats 2023. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to

aglondier
2023-01-04, 05:10 AM
I believe it came up in passing last year but, since we are all existing in the same world, would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild? We are all gaining our usual trickle of spells, wouldn't it be nice to have access to more of the spell list?

Wizards and other prepared arcane spellcasters can learn spells from each other in game, so why can't we?

NCat
2023-01-04, 05:30 AM
I believe it came up in passing last year but, since we are all existing in the same world, would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild?

I definitely would be down as a Sha Ir, (plus, that one guildmage PRC is if I recall, my loose plans for late game after anima mage, though that is a while a way)

It just makes sense for spellcasters to group together

White Blade
2023-01-04, 08:12 AM
Guess I’d pick up Contemplative Cleric 2

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-04, 08:13 AM
I believe it came up in passing last year but, since we are all existing in the same world, would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild? We are all gaining our usual trickle of spells, wouldn't it be nice to have access to more of the spell list?

Wizards and other prepared arcane spellcasters can learn spells from each other in game, so why can't we?

Sure. I'm gonna need to get spellbooks for someplace after all.

Asmotherion
2023-01-04, 09:49 AM
And an other Level of Wizard for me please, for a total of 4 Wizard Levels! :)

Kalkra
2023-01-04, 11:41 AM
Another year and I'm still suffering from my bad decisions in previous years. Now that I know that spellcasting from Sculpt Self doesn't let me meet prerequisites, I'll need to retrain into Sanctum Spell to be able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells to qualify for Cerebremancer. The good news is that at some point I'll be able to retrain it away, once I progress my spellcasting enough. The bad news is that I'll need to take another level of StP Erudite this year, and I won't get War Magic Study for another 4 years at the earliest. Ah well.

What I'm doing with my life really depends on what everybody else is doing. If life continues more or less normally I'm using skill-boosting magic to get rich doing whatever pays the best. If the presence of people who can do magic vastly changes society (as it probably would) I'll probably be researching and selling spells, which would presumably be more lucrative, and honestly I'm probably going to be researching spells no matter what. The thing about D&D is that there are a lot of things spells can't do because that would make the game unbalanced, not because it doesn't make sense for spells to be able to do those things. In other words, I'm pretty sure I could research some broken-good spells because life isn't a game and there are no power-level bans. That being said, I have no way of knowing what spells I'd actually be able to make, so I've been leaving them out of my plans for the most part.

Telonius
2023-01-04, 04:12 PM
Another year and I'm still suffering from my bad decisions in previous years.

I think that's generally applicable. :smallbiggrin:

As far as guilds and things go, I'd probably still be keeping under wraps as much a possible. The whole situation is still smelling of "too good to be true." Plus I've read enough X-Men to know what can happen in this sort of situation. I want to stay under the radar until the other shoe drops.

Troacctid
2023-01-04, 04:35 PM
Oh, and did anyone go after the bait I was leaving out?
Is this a question for me?

Do I get to use my (2k XP) crafting pool the same level I take the crafting feat, or no?
Yes.

Ah, a new year, and that means a new level! I intend to continue my hopes for Anima mage, though, I've also noticed a mistake I made in my earlier plans, that being that precocious apprentice needs to be taken at 1st level. Oops.

Well, all that means is that it just takes 2 more levels of spellcasting to get there. Not a problem, I can live with that.
Precocious Apprentice wouldn't do what you want anyway.

Well, I don't know if I want to pay dues or anything, but I would at least join the group chat, sure.

Now that I know that spellcasting from Sculpt Self doesn't let me meet prerequisites, I'll need to retrain into Sanctum Spell to be able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells to qualify for Cerebremancer. The good news is that at some point I'll be able to retrain it away, once I progress my spellcasting enough.
I have come to expect this kind of optimism from you. It's very bold of you to keep making risky build decisions based on controversial rules interpretations without knowing whether or not they'll work. :smallsmile:

CatGoddess
2023-01-04, 05:42 PM
I'll be taking my first level of Wizard, and using the Pathfinder 1e rules.

Ability Scores

Dex: 9
Con: 11
Int: 15
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Arcane School: Conjuration (Teleportation), Opposition Schools = Necromancy, Evocation

Arcane Bond: Fox familiar! With the Elemental Familiar (Air) archetype so that it can fly.

Feats: Scribe Scroll, Eschew Materials (no spell components on Earth), Scholar (Knowledge (Artificial Intelligence) and Knowledge (Physics))

Spells: Silent Image, Endure Elements, Keep Watch, Charm Person, Feather Fall, Infernal Healing, Heightened Awareness

Bonus Languages: Chinese, German

Skills: Knowledge (Artificial Intelligence), Knowledge (Physics), Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Spellcraft

Traits: Spark of Creation (+1 bonus on Craft checks, magic items are 5% cheaper to make), Student of Philosophy (use Int instead of Cha for Diplomacy and Bluff)

Future Plans: Take the Magaambyan Arcanist prestige class for access to Druid spells

Stoic
2023-01-04, 11:29 PM
Another level of Wizard. (Now Wizard Level 4)

Quertus
2023-01-05, 12:07 PM
More of the same (Arcane Spellcaster) for me.

would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild?

Well, I don't know if I want to pay dues or anything, but I would at least join the group chat, sure.

Pretty much this (give or take paranoia). Also, wrt “trading spells”, I think this has 0 value for my class, no?

Quertus
2023-01-05, 12:30 PM
Q: How exactly does this world work? Is the timeline altered by our previous levels? Do we know about other players? Are we making decisions for ourselves, or are these benefits applied to parallel universe version of ourselves? Etc.
A: I think it's fine to envision it however you like, but I bet that parallel timeline idea would make for some cool fanfiction. If you'd like to share your idea of what the last year would have been like for the leveled-up version of you, please do!

I’ll take most any excuse to lower people’s Sanity scores with my horrific fanfiction writing (and, senility willing, I’ll do so at some point). However… not that I’ve the reading comprehension to know what’s kosher and what’s verboten, but… I’m concerned “Do we know about other players?” and “fanfiction” line up poorly with at least Playground culture, if not rules, without explicit permission.

Kalkra
2023-01-05, 01:41 PM
I have come to expect this kind of optimism from you. It's very bold of you to keep making risky build decisions based on controversial rules interpretations without knowing whether or not they'll work. :smallsmile:

That's real life for you. Somebody's gotta try it to see if it works or not. And if it doesn't, my sacrifice will be remembered by all those who come after me who would have done as I did.

That being said, if you're saying that I can't use Sanctum Spell for early then I'll either have to take two more levels of Wizard or some other feat combo, although if you don't like Sanctum Spell you probably wouldn't like Snowcasting either, so I'd need Easy Metamagic on Heighten Spell or something.

I think I asked this in previous years, but do we have some sort of supernatural ability to know how the big DM in the sky will rule on various issues? Because if we don't then it seems kinda like metagaming to change my build based on you telling me what will end up working and what won't.

I'm not even entirely sure your point was that Sanctum Spell won't work, but that seemed to be the implication.

EDIT: Looking back over the FAQ I see that you explicitly don't know if things'll work or not.

AsuraKyoko
2023-01-05, 02:30 PM
I have a question: does 3PP material include stuff from the homebrew subforum? I'm specifically looking at the Gramarie (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?291019-By-the-Inferior-Science-of-our-Enemies-Gramarie-Mark-II) system (going with the original version, since the 2.0 update is very incomplete)

CatGoddess
2023-01-05, 05:30 PM
Has our world's cosmology been altered in this scenario? E.g. are there gods, demons, planes, etc.?
If so, do all aspects of d&d cosmology get ported over, or are they only added as needed? Because in the latter case I'm certainly going to steer clear of summoning any devils...

On a different note, I'd be down to meet up and swap spells with other arcane casters.

El Dorado
2023-01-05, 11:13 PM
Sure. I'm gonna need to get spellbooks for someplace after all.

We could set up a discord or something similar. Plenty of ways to trade information.

Jack_Simth
2023-01-06, 07:33 AM
We could set up a discord or something similar. Plenty of ways to trade information.

Just hop a plane if scans of a spellbook don't work.

Depending on your morals, magic makes money easy.

Arcane:
With 1st level spells: Charm Person and a Cha check to get folks who handle money to do something they normally wouldn't. Embezzling on your behalf.
With 2nd level spells: Invisibility makes for an extremely difficult to catch thief.
With 4th level spells: Dimension Door into and out of a vault. Or (more efficiently), get a picture of a vault, and use Summon Monster IV for a Lantern Archon, which can Greater Teleport in and out of the vault a few times.

Divine: Much easier to sleep at night here.
2nd: Make Whole. Instant repair shop.
3rd: Really kicks in here. You'll want a go-between and some access to disguise or invisibility to maintain some semblance of a normal life, but Remove Blindness/Deafness and Remove Disease are SERIOUS money-makers once you've got a demonstrated success rate.

Kalkra
2023-01-06, 04:43 PM

The Dreamscape might work, depending on which version we have access to.

SirNibbles
2023-01-06, 06:37 PM
Another level of Tattooed Monk.

Archivist 1/Mystic Ranger 4/Tattooed Monk 2

I would also like to lodge a complaint- my disease immunity from my first level of Tattooed Monk has clearly not been working this past year, or I've been catching magical diseases.

Shalist
2023-01-07, 12:10 AM
Another artificer level (-> sorc1/art7)
I might edit this post later with some build notes, though my free time always dries up around this time of year.

bekeleven
2023-01-07, 12:34 AM
Boy, 2k XP is a whole ton. The only stuff I can make is +1 weapons and armor... But i can make multiple dozen. I'm not horribly butchering this math, am I? +1 padded armor costs 1155 gold, which works out to 46.2 XP. Then on the day I start crafting I pay that XP, meaning that I don't get XP for that day, which works out to an effective additional -5.48 XP. So basically, if I so choose, I can make 38 of these suckers?

That being said, if you're saying that I can't use Sanctum Spell for early then I'll either have to take two more levels of Wizard or some other feat combo, [...]

I think I asked this in previous years, but do we have some sort of supernatural ability to know how the big DM in the sky will rule on various issues? Because if we don't then it seems kinda like metagaming to change my build based on you telling me what will end up working and what won't.
You can always try to enter the PrC and, if you fail, take another wizard level. Remember that you get one free minor retrain per level, so you can trade the feat for another whose prerequisites you meet when you took it.

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-07, 09:39 AM

Name it The Arcane Order. That may be enough to Kickstart access to that particular PrC for people. It takes a few feats, but even a spont caster can make use of it, and with so few statted folks around, versatility will be important until we can secure our safety.

Telonius
2023-01-07, 11:01 AM
I would also like to lodge a complaint- my disease immunity from my first level of Tattooed Monk has clearly not been working this past year, or I've been catching magical diseases.

Don't know about you, but the DM has also been kind of stingy for WBL over here. :smallbiggrin:

MinimanMidget
2023-01-08, 09:05 AM
Like a lot of us, I've ended up regretting some of my choices. I'm thinking I'll pivot to something along the lines of Troacctid's Unseenlock build - it'll take some retraining, but I'm reasonably well placed for it. I'll start by ditching my ranks in Sleight of Hand, with some regret, because it's one of my favourite skills, but it just isn't that useful (especially in the real world). That said, there's no way I'm not taking the Darkness + Blend Into Shadows combo I originally planned on - vanishing like a ninja is very important to me.

Human Psychic Rogue 1/Warlock 2
Str 9, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Autohypnosis 4, Concentration 4, Hide 6, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, Open Lock 4, Search 6, Spot 6
Powers known: Compression (no PP to use it with, though)
Invocations: Darkness, Spiderwalk
Feats: Able Learner, Blend Into Shadows, Point Blank Shot

EndlessKng
2023-01-08, 11:42 PM
My build is all over the place, but really, it's all for fun, and I don't care if it's a crash-and-burn mess, I'm going to just go with it.

This year has brought some... changes. In my life and in my attitude and situations. And it's led to a new career that represents a shift in my talents - or perhaps, codifies ones I've had for a while.

So this year, I'll add Investigator to my build - specifically with the Empiricist and Sphere Investigator archetypes (They stack, as SI only changes Alchemy itself to limited alchemy, and Empiricist only changes the Swift Alchemy feature).

thethird
2023-01-09, 12:38 PM
Another level, another Artificer level. Mostly enjoying my 5th level spells and looking forward to 6th level spells next year, planar binding is surely going to be fun.

Peelee
2023-01-09, 09:49 PM
Favored Soul. I'll update the rest when I get around to it.

VoltsofEight
2023-01-10, 01:40 AM
I missed last years, but Spheres of Power Sage again.

Karmea
2023-01-10, 10:05 AM
Second mystic wanderer level and got my familiar. Maybe a dog to blend in. Turn it into a Good dog with that one cleric spell. Or a raven for the goodies, though I'd probably have to be more subtle with that one.

Lvl 2 Expert
2023-01-10, 01:42 PM
I figure I actually did gain a level over the last year and a half or so. Or maybe I retrained one, not sure. I think I might be a Ranger or a Bard or a Druid (or an Alchemist or a Factotum or some obscure class from deep inside Pathfinder that does some really specific things) now. I'm not actually sure, I don't know the new me well enough yet. It doesn't count for this thread as I wasn't a lvl 2 Expert in this thread, but it's been a pretty big improvement over being stuck in my dead end lvl 2 Expert career path. The extra feat at lvl 3 probably helps too. I'm not sure if my hit points came in yet.

Edit: you know what, I'll take the second level of Expert in case I decide I want to be inspired by next year's thread to think about my build again.

Rebel7284
2023-01-10, 04:21 PM
Conjurer 2

bekeleven
2023-01-12, 03:27 AM
I've decided to craft 2 items with my ability to craft (+1) magical arms and armor. First of all, as I said last time, special materials are tricky to get ahold of, so I'll be avoiding those for now. Second of all, I want to craft armor that makes any amount of sense for me to wear in an urban environment, which probably means it'll grab some padded suits as my raw materials and then craft padded armor. Due to how the numbers line up, I'll craft a second set, maybe out of a hoodie or jacket, for more casual engagements. The rest of my crafting XP will be spent on "+1 daggers" I can sell as kitchen knives.

Anyway, the best items for me to craft at this point would be +1 weapons and +1 armor. Also, the only items I can craft, given that you need a caster level of 3X the enhancement bonus. I'd love to use all sorts of special materials, from cold iron to shadow silk to ironwood to mithral to glasssteel to riverine to etc etc etc, but I imagine that on earth they'd be tricky to source. The same is true for some more "basic" materials like the magical leaf used in the blondleaf wrap. Luckily one of my friends is a real-life blacksmith and I can probably ask for his help with the basics.

The material most likely to be accessible, in my estimation? Starmetal. That exists on earth.

GP Costs for +1 Padded Armor: 1155
GP Costs for a +1 Dagger: 2302

XP Costs for +1 padded armor: 46
XP Costs for +1 dagger: 92

XP "deduction" for starting to craft an item: 5.48. (This is 1/365th of my annual XP, and represents the fraction of my 2k annual XP that I didn't earn that day.)

I'll craft 2 [Clean] padded armors and 19 +1 [Clean] kitchen knives. Total XP expenditure: 1955.

The most fun part about the past year has been my Call of the Beast invocation. I'm not sure I'll have it forever, since it's not a component of any epic warlock feats, but I'm not worrying about that for at least 10 more levels. In the meantime, I have the ability to speak with animals at all times, and a +4 on my rolls to influence them.

Speaking of those rolls, I currently have a +17 to diplomacy, which while not "nonmagical dominate person," is definitely getting into the "nonmagical charm person" territory. (Unfriendly to indifferent on a 1, or friendly on an 8). Combined with my +13 to bluff and many parts of my life just got significantly easier to navigate.

I have a question for future build reasons, and I know Troacctid is staying tight-lipped, so instead I'll throw it out to the people: Has anybody done something with their build that requires a deity? If so, it is a specific deity? Like could I take a "favored of a god" magical ability? How about "favored of Pelor"?

Telonius
2023-01-12, 09:06 AM
I have a question for future build reasons, and I know Troacctid is staying tight-lipped, so instead I'll throw it out to the people: Has anybody done something with their build that requires a deity? If so, it is a specific deity? Like could I take a "favored of a god" magical ability? How about "favored of Pelor"?

Mine (Cleric/Warlock/Eldritch Disciple) doesn't exactly require a deity. For Domain selection, I could just worship a concept. The fluff (and class feature names) for Eldritch Disciple make reference to a "Divine Patron," so that might require somebody specific. My deity would be Olidammara. This version (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?445953-My-pantheon-s-take-on-Olidammara) specifically if it's allowed; if not, the PHB description is laid-back enough that I'd be cool with it.

Kalkra
2023-01-12, 10:50 AM
The most fun part about the past year has been my Call of the Beast invocation. I'm not sure I'll have it forever, since it's not a component of any epic warlock feats, but I'm not worrying about that for at least 10 more levels. In the meantime, I have the ability to speak with animals at all times, and a +4 on my rolls to influence them.

I think we'll stop levelling at 20, so no epic stuff.

NCat
2023-01-12, 10:59 AM
I think we'll stop levelling at 20, so no epic stuff.

I see no point in stopping at 20? I think it could be cool if, by chance this does last 20+ years, the people have been here for decades get the prize of wacky epic stuff.

Plus, planning out your levels not just as to what benefits you now and in the present, but what might benefit you in decades is kinda fun

Cruiser1
2023-01-12, 02:02 PM
I take a 2nd level of Cloistered Cleric, adding on to the 1st level of CC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25320304&postcount=25) taken last year. :smallsmile:

Quertus
2023-01-12, 02:39 PM
I figure I actually did gain a level over the last year and a half or so. Or maybe I retrained one, not sure. I think I might be a Ranger or a Bard or a Druid (or an Alchemist or a Factotum or some obscure class from deep inside Pathfinder that does some really specific things) now. I'm not actually sure, I don't know the new me well enough yet. It doesn't count for this thread as I wasn't a lvl 2 Expert in this thread, but it's been a pretty big improvement over being stuck in my dead end lvl 2 Expert career path. The extra feat at lvl 3 probably helps too. I'm not sure if my hit points came in yet.

Edit: you know what, I'll take the second level of Expert in case I decide I want to be inspired by next year's thread to think about my build again.

Congratulations! What particular evidence convinced you of this?

Good point. I’ve been too lazy to bother*, but I suppose the “PF-based me” will start taking levels in “Cleric of me”, to help test your requirements.

* to learn pathfinder

Wildstag
2023-01-12, 03:55 PM
Last year I started a 3PP version of using Spheres to take Transformation and Transformation (hybrid) to gain the forms of a werewolf with none of the downsides. This year, I'd progress that by taking a second level in Brawler. This would grant me a Bonus Combat Feat and Brawler's Flurry.

For skills, I'd advance Climbing, Perception, and Knowledge (Local), but also take Ride. Thus 2 ranks in Climbing, Perception, and Knowledge (Local), 1 rank in Ride and Craft (Woodcarving). FCB (Skill Rank) to put 1 in Intimidate.

Bonus Combat Feat seems like it'd have to be Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike). What with the low attack roll (only a +4 or +5), I'd want a bit of accuracy to shore up the penalties from Brawler's Flurry. Plus it builds into so many potential options.

Kalkra
2023-01-12, 04:42 PM
I see no point in stopping at 20? I think it could be cool if, by chance this does last 20+ years, the people have been here for decades get the prize of wacky epic stuff.

Plus, planning out your levels not just as to what benefits you now and in the present, but what might benefit you in decades is kinda fun

To clarify, I think Troacctid said in a previous year that we stop levelling at 20. Of course, I could be misremembering, and things might change. Then again, once you get epic spellcasting things spiral out of control very quickly, so I understand the decision.

Lvl 2 Expert
2023-01-13, 10:51 AM
Congratulations! What particular evidence convinced you of this?

A broader set of (marketable) skills with improvements large enough that I'm looking for at least one case of either skill synergy, a feat or spell access kicking in, existing skills being honed and getting updated, not just significant but near miraculous better results on rolls to get hired, different treatment by other characters and significant increases in my weekly "take ten" results on profession/craft for income. Even after considering my age being around right for going up an age category (in at least some potentially applicable species) giving me +1 to my intelligence, charisma and wisdom modifiers it's a pretty noticeable difference. (My constitution did take a bit of a hit a bit over a year and a half ago, which might have been the age up moment, but I seem to have mostly recovered, which might be the extra HP from the level up.)

The bad news is that in this gritty campaign I'm in characters seem to max out at level 5 or 6 and most don't get to that hard limit at all, certainly not ones that start with NPC class levels, so odds are this is my final form. I'd better make the most of it.

So, anyone looking for an offensive support kinda henchman?

Quertus
2023-01-13, 09:59 PM
So, anyone looking for an offensive support kinda henchman?

I’m basically playing a glorified TARDIS, making my cohort the counterpart of the Doctor, I suppose. And “offensive support henchman” sounds like a Doctor thing. So… maybe? (Although my Who lore suggests you may need to kiss my cohort to make it official… and that the retirement program is the worst.)

Lvl 2 Expert
2023-01-14, 02:42 AM
I’m basically playing a glorified TARDIS, making my cohort the counterpart of the Doctor, I suppose. And “offensive support henchman” sounds like a Doctor thing. So… maybe? (Although my Who lore suggests you may need to kiss my cohort to make it official… and that the retirement program is the worst.)

I think we're on different planes then, time travel is mostly fictional here. But if you have a plane shift spell I'm up for putting in my one month notice and going on an adventure.

TalonOfAnathrax
2023-01-14, 04:29 AM
Troacctid, is there a mistake on the Google Sheet ? I wrote that I took Durthan 1 last year, but it's written I'm a Sha'ir 4 instead of Sha'ir 3/Durthan 1. I wasn't using any early-entry cheats either.

What I take this year will depend on what I had last year so this isn't a definite choice, but it'll probably be Cloistered Cleric 1.

EDIT: If it's a deliberate decision to ban Durthan, please let me know. I'm not asking for justification or whatever, just confirmation.

Troacctid
2023-01-15, 09:39 PM
II have a question for future build reasons, and I know Troacctid is staying tight-lipped, so instead I'll throw it out to the people: Has anybody done something with their build that requires a deity? If so, it is a specific deity? Like could I take a "favored of a god" magical ability? How about "favored of Pelor"?
I've probably pointed this out in previous years, but Eberron has every kind of divine magic, and the people there still can't agree which gods, if any, are real. The fact that clerics of an ideal can have all the same powers as clerics of a deity really complicates these questions.

Troacctid, is there a mistake on the Google Sheet ? I wrote that I took Durthan 1 last year, but it's written I'm a Sha'ir 4 instead of Sha'ir 3/Durthan 1. I wasn't using any early-entry cheats either.

What I take this year will depend on what I had last year so this isn't a definite choice, but it'll probably be Cloistered Cleric 1.

EDIT: If it's a deliberate decision to ban Durthan, please let me know. I'm not asking for justification or whatever, just confirmation.
Just a typo. I'll fix it when I get a chance.

Crichton
2023-01-19, 12:00 PM

A discord I could get onboard with, for sure. Anything more official... We'd have to see :D

Quertus
2023-01-19, 12:27 PM
I've probably pointed this out in previous years, but Eberron has every kind of divine magic, and the people there still can't agree which gods, if any, are real. The fact that clerics of an ideal can have all the same powers as clerics of a deity really complicates these questions.

Ah, that’s why I hadn’t tested that yet. Makes sense.

animorte
2023-01-21, 10:32 PM
I've been hunting with all my effort to encounter what suits my purpose most accurately. Alas, we have discovered the Jester. (https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/classes/baseDc/jester.html)

I am proud to join this by taking on my very first level as a Jester (3.5e).

As a bonus, here's my character sheet. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2746683)

I will likely edit this in the near future to include my visual adaptation via Hero Forge. (https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D37485359/) Done.

P.S. After a good look through the spreadsheet, it looks like I'll be the class clown, the only joke... Nothing but pride.

Just for the record, I am serious. This looks really cool to me, and I put in the work :smalltongue:

Brackenlord
2023-01-27, 07:45 AM
Truenamer 3

DC 15 + 2 x CR

3 HD → 21
+6 ranks
+2 personal truename
+3 skill focus
+1 stats (INT 13)
= +12

Success: 9~20

STR 11, DEX 8, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 10, CHA 9

Skill Focus (Truespeak)
Able Learner b
Dream Scion *NEW*

Knowledge Focus (architecture and engineering)

Universal Aptitude
Word of Nurturing, Minor
Hidden Truth *NEW*

Elvensilver
2023-01-28, 06:51 PM
I'll take another level of Bard. Second level spells for me, wow!

If retraining is allowed, I'd like to change my archetype to Studious Librarian. I'm sure if spend enough time together with books to qualify, and the sixth level ability is something to look forward to, especially if people here start swapping spells.

shaikujin
2023-01-29, 08:57 AM
Forgot I made 3 different entries each for 3.5, PF and 3.pf.

Gonna just take a 2nd level of the same class for all 3 entries respectively. Can always rebuild later.

redking
2023-01-29, 09:50 AM
Anything that gives you charm person is probably a winner in modern society. I might take a level in psion.

H_H_F_F
2023-01-29, 01:24 PM
Not as invested in this as I once was, but I'll still play. I'll take a third level of druid. As my feat, I'll take Southern Magician. Assuming Mulhorand and Unther correspond to Ancient Egypt and the Great Mesopotamian civilizations, I should qualify as a Mulan human.

TalonOfAnathrax
2023-01-29, 05:43 PM
Just a typo. I'll fix it when I get a chance.
Thanks for the reply!

In that case, here's my yearly post:

I'll dip Cloistered Cleric for one level, aiming to take Dweomerkeeper next year.

Current: Sha'ir 3/Durthan 1/Cloistered Cleric 1 (Magic)
HP: 29 (rolled) Initiative: +7 BaB: +1 Melee: +0 Ranged: +2 Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +11
Stats: Str 8 (12), Dex 9 (13), Con 10 (14), Int 12 (16), Wis 11 (15), Cha 14 (18).
Skills: Bluff 0 ranks (+7), Concentration 7 ranks (+9), Diplomacy 8 ranks (+16), Knowledge (arcana) 8 (+11), Sense Motive 5 ranks (+12), Spellcraft 8 ranks (+11)
Feats: Silent Spell, Eschew Materials, Flaw (noncombatant), Improved Counterspell, Flaw (vulnerable), Iron Will, Craft Wondrous Item (DMG2 Signature Trait: Fashionable), Lore (+4), Turn Undead 7/day, Healing Devotion, Knowledge Devotion
Special: Summon Gen Familiar, Recognize Genie Works, Place Magic.
Spells known:
Detect Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Launch Item, Light, Mending, Prestidigitation
Disguise Self, Charm Person, Scholar's Touch, Unseen Servant
Alter Self, Master's Touch (PBH II)

Divine Spells prepared:

Create Water, Guidance, Purify Food and Drink
Endure Elements, Sanctuary, Magic Aura

Languages: Common, Terran. Familiar: Earth Gen.
Gear: Possum Pouch, Shiftweave, Helpful Headband, Amazing Amulet, Glorious Glove, Belt of Magnificence (+4), Shawl of Bewitching (grants +5 to Bluff and +1 enchantment CL), Slippers of Spider Climbing (Spider Climb up to 10min a day). Fortifying Bedroll (once every 38 hours, get a night's sleep in one hour!).
Familiar's Gear: Spidersilk Pendant (casts Web 1/day at CL 3).

Personal item descriptions:

Helpful Headband : +5 Sense Motive, +5 Spot against Disguises, CL 4 Hat of Disguise. Current item value is 13 950gp.
Amazing Amulet : Amulet of Tears that also grants an untyped +2 Diplomacy and -2 Bluff, as well as a terrible 3/day sanctuary effect I won't ever be using. Current item value is 3 950gp.
Glorious Glove (Bonded Item) : This +1 Morphing (can become a poison ring) Warning (+5 insight to Initiative) gauntlet bestows a +1 initiative bonus. It also senses any creature within 120 feet who intends harm to the possessor, mentally alerting her of the danger from an unfriendly creature. (It does not however give any other clue to the identity of the threat). Twice per day as a swift action, it also adds +2CL to a first-level arcane spell cast in the same turn. Current item market value is 21 750gp.

Below is a list of the items I plan to craft this year. I'm going with the 20 XP per level per week formula from previous years, but I'm only spending half of the max amount I could get (so 2600xp) in case I fail to have a lively enough life to reach the optimal XP gain rate. This also lets me use all remaining XP to craft Fortifying Bedrolls and Everfull Basins for sale to fund my personal crafting and life. Other posters here seem to be increasingly indiscreet about their magic, so I'll say "**** it" and sell magic items to people willing to pay through the nose for them.

I use the DMGII Bonded Item rules to Bond my Glorious Glove. I either use the Ritual of Honor or the Ritual of Magic, depending on who I can find. It's already a +1 gauntlet, and I spend 435 xp to give it Morphing (can become a poison ring) and Warning (+5 insight to Initiative).
I then spend most of the rest of the year crafting a Belt of Magnificence (+4) for myself, just for the overall quality of life increases. That's 2000xp.
That's all my personal crafting for the year! Any remaining XP goes into Fortifying Bedrolls and Everfull Basins for sale, perhaps alongside Magic Bedrolls or Braziers of Aura Revealing (Magic) to governments. After spending all this time crafting, I'm very ready for Summon Marked Homonculus next level !

Plan:

At level 6 (so in 2024) take 1 level in Dweomerkeeper. Feat should be Least Dragonmark of Making (Make Whole 1/day) to open up Summon Marked Homonculus. +2 Concentration, +1 Diplomacy, +1 Spellcraft.
Levels 7, 8 and 9 are also Dweomerkeeper levels. Mantle of Spells choices are Alter Fortune, Celerity. Feat should be Leadership, picking someone I care about as my cohort as Troacctid has confirmed they'll level too when my Leadership cap goes up. At every level, raise Concentration, Diplomacy and Spellcraft by 1. Also spend a cross-class rank in Bluff.
Levels 10 and 11 should be Incantatrix, to get optimal Mantle of Spells choices. Take Extend Spell as a bonus metamagic feat. I now no longer need Silent Spell and can retrain it into something like Great Diplomat for an extra cohort. Lose access to Evocation because losing Necromancy means losing Extract Gift and Steal Life, Enchantment is required for Mindbender later, and Illusion's versatility sounds useful during downtime. Take Intimidate now that it's a class skill (if only for easier Mindbender entry later). At every level take 1 rank in Concentration and Spellcraft, and 2 ranks in Intimidate.
Levels 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 are Dweomerkeeper levels. The Supernatural Spells will be useful if/when I get 9ths and can replicate Body Outside Body, and in the meantime they allow me to ignore all those difficult XP and M/F components. Mantle of Spells choices are Greater Dispel Magic, Limited Wish, Polymorph any Object. Take the Divine Defiance feat and the Undead Leadership feat (taking a living cohort, requires Knowledge religion 1). At levels 12, 13, 15, 16 and 17, take 1 rank in Concentration, Diplomacy and Spellcraft, as well as a cross-class rank in Bluff. At level 14, take 1 rank in Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (religion) and Spellcraft.
Level 18 is Mindbender. Take Mindsight at 18. Take 1 rank in Bluff, 2 ranks in Diplomacy, and 1 rank in Spellcraft.
Levels 19 and 20 are Incantatrix again. Get a bonus metamagic feat at 20 (Persistent Spell). At each level, take one cross-class rank in Diplomacy, and 1 rank in Concentration and Spellcraft.

Crafting Notes I used to determine costs

According to the MIC, adding a specific magic item's effect to a preexisting specific magic together (except those on MICp234) costs (full price of the added power) + (half of the price of the added power OR half of the price of the existing item, whichever is cheaper). This is the market price, so you'll be halving that number to craft the combined item, as normal. MIC rules for stacking additional properties require me to keep track of the combined item's value, just in case I want to further improve them in the future. To do so, "use the base price of the most expensive item, and 1.5x the base price of all other items. Sum them all together and that's the final cost"?
The above rules are for combining items. Improving items simply costs the price difference between the old and new version of the item.

Powerdork
2023-01-29, 10:45 PM
I'm not continuing advancement with this tradition, just popping in because I felt like checking out GitP again lately, and I saw something in the OP that I felt was funny.

3.5e totally has rebuild quests and you absolutely definitely should let people ask for them at around the time that they're eligible to pick up a real prestige class.

Elrak
2023-01-30, 08:58 AM
I would like to take a major bloodline level to add to my cloistered cleric. Probably Silver Dragon.

Peelee
2023-01-30, 12:06 PM
I would like to take a major bloodline level to add to my cloistered cleric. Probably Silver Dragon.

I wholeheartedly approve. :smallwink:

Jopustopin
2023-02-01, 12:19 PM
Jopustopin has spent a year travelling and doing other odd things. With his passive income stream from his movies and published work, he rarely has to do much to get by. His dreams have gotten worse, driving him to such escoteric places as Giza Egypt, Machu Pichchu in Peru, the various temples in south America.

He throws a massive party in each city! The paparazzi have field days with his decadent ways! His fans wonder... when will he make his next movie???

Then suddenly 2023 starts! He gains a level and it's in....WARBLADE!!! Who saw it coming? He can now immediately end any drunken stupor he finds himself in with iron heart surge!

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/blog/images/2013/08/selfie.jpg
Jopustopin

male middle aged human warblade 5
CN medium humanoid (human)
Init -8; Senses spot +1, listen +1
Languages Common, Ancient SuloiseAC 11 (+4 armor, -2 Dex, -1 Flaw), Touch 7, Flat-footed 11; Uncanny Dodge
HP 33/33 (5d12-5)
Fort +5, Ref -1, Will +4 (Battle Clarity)Speed 30 ft.
Melee longsword +5 (1d8-1/19-20)
Ranged dagger +3 (1d4-1/19-20)
Base Atk +5; Grp +4Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 5th):

Stances-Bolstering Voice, Punishing Stance
Strikes-Stone Bones, Mountain Hammer, Iron Heart Surge
Boosts-Sudden Leap
Counters-Moment of Perfect Mind, Wall of blades
Abilities Str 9, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 17
Skills Spellcraft +9, Concentration +7, Jump +6, Tumble +6, Swim, +3, Balance +3, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Local) +2, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Martial Lore +2, Profession (Actor) +5, Craft (Alchemy) +4
Feats Keeper of Forbidden Lore, Otherwordly Countenance (Beauty), Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Iron Will
Flaws Unreactive, Vulnerable
Possessions swimming pool, mwk trusty longsword, mwk dagger, mithril chain shirt, Net Worth ($4,026,960 USA)

Coventry
2023-02-05, 12:15 AM
(Unsworn) Shaman 3

This is a quiet level - although gaining access to the +4 enhancement bonus spells mean he can start working on crafting the belt of magnificence.

H_H_F_F
2023-02-05, 05:37 PM
Not as invested in this as I once was, but I'll still play. I'll take a third level of druid. As my feat, I'll take Southern Magician. Assuming Mulhorand and Unther correspond to Ancient Egypt and the Great Mesopotamian civilizations, I should qualify as a Mulan human.

Forgot to mention: I'd like to take go to ground rather than trackless step, I think.

Hish
2023-02-06, 02:22 AM
I'll take Erudite 2. It's a boring level, but that's how you get to the interesting ones.

EDIT: I’m reviewing Erudite and I think it’s worse than psion and I should’ve just gone regular psion. With the nonelite array, it’s the same powers known, but I don’t have native access to a discipline and I’m stuck with UPPD (which isn’t as bad as if I were an adventurer, but still is a negative). I gain the ability to learn powers from other people, but I don't want to rely on finding other psychic people in real life. I guess I could craft power stones then psyref myself, but I’m trying to avoid things I wouldn’t do in game and that includes psyref.
Also, by Artificer 2/Erudite 13 I’ll need a way to boost my intelligence to manifest high level powers. One option is taking Artificer 3 for fox’s cunning (and craft wondrous item).

Menzath
2023-02-06, 05:47 PM
As usual I will be taking another level of StP Erudite, and leaving all my stat, feat, and skill choices to next year's me.

NCat
2023-02-06, 11:02 PM
Hm, one thing I'm trying to think on how best to go about is expanding my Sha-Ir spells known. While sure, we can work with the assumption that we can all meet up and thats the easy way to go about it, its still useful to expand on that by other means too.

My initial thoughts are using binding to do so? Since yeah, I think I can just, see myself cast a spell using binding, and as such know what it is to be able to retrieve it. The other step would be summoning spells. I could use summoning spells to get creatures which know spells, and from there I've got those on my spell list too. Ill have to look into getting summon monster spells at later years then I think.

Im trying to think if theres other ways for me to gain spells I'm forgetting. Do Sha'irs get the ability to research spells?

bekeleven
2023-02-07, 12:13 AM
Do outer planes exist?

Troacctid
2023-02-07, 01:12 AM
Hm, one thing I'm trying to think on how best to go about is expanding my Sha-Ir spells known. While sure, we can work with the assumption that we can all meet up and thats the easy way to go about it, its still useful to expand on that by other means too.

My initial thoughts are using binding to do so? Since yeah, I think I can just, see myself cast a spell using binding, and as such know what it is to be able to retrieve it. The other step would be summoning spells. I could use summoning spells to get creatures which know spells, and from there I've got those on my spell list too. Ill have to look into getting summon monster spells at later years then I think.

Im trying to think if theres other ways for me to gain spells I'm forgetting. Do Sha'irs get the ability to research spells?
A lot of the power of the sha'ir comes from existing in a world where magic and spells are commonplace. Without other spells to observe, it's tough to get the broad range of access that sha'irs are known for in gameplay.

That said, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to research spells. The rules for it are governed by page 198 of the DMG, and they say that a spellcaster of any kind can do it.

Do outer planes exist?
When making your decisions, you would not have any more information on this subject beyond what is in the FAQ.

NCat
2023-02-08, 04:06 AM
That said, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to research spells. The rules for it are governed by page 198 of the DMG, and they say that a spellcaster of any kind can do it.

That seems pretty good for me. Looks like I'd have a good thing to spend my time and money on in future throughout the years

Evoker
2023-02-10, 03:38 AM
Let's see. I'll be going with the Non-elite array, I should think.
13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
Class, Psion (egoist). Change Shape variant (https://web.archive.org/web/20151102153052/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a). I'm always dissatisfied with my appearance, so this alone would be quite literally life-changing.

9 Strength. I'm already not the strongest, so another little hit shouldn't be too bad.
11 Dexterity. Being a little less clumsy would be nice.
8 Constitution. Being more prone to disease would be unfortunate, but it's a sacrifice that must be made. There are some options to mitigate this available in a bit, though, so it's not all bad.
13 Intelligence. Determines my powers, very useful stat in most modern societies. A slam-dunk.
10 Wisdom. I'm not the wisest person around, but I don't think I need more as urgently as I need...
12 Charisma. *Very* important, if not for in-game reasons, being likable is the most important thing. Plus might help with my social awkwardness.

Feats:
Level 1 feat - Tomb-tainted soul: Not overly helpful yet, but I can rock the Goth aesthetic, I'm pretty sure according to d20 Modern, there's a couple sources of 'negative energy damage' in the modern day, and I can take...
Human bonus feat - Tomb-born Vitality. Ignore the need for sleep and food? Yes please, I would like to get an extra 8 hours out of every day + not worry about how much sleep I'm getting ever again. The visual downside can be offset with Change shape, too.
Flaw - Insomniac. Can't sleep. On the other hand, don't need to sleep.
Feat from Insomniac - Slow Maturation. More time! I need more time!
Flaw - Noncombatant. -2 on melee attacks. I'm already planning on not getting into any fights.
Feat from Noncombatant - Able Learner. Alll the skills! ALL OF THEM!
Trait - Hardy. Fort saves are more likely to come up than Dex saves, and it'd be nice to offset that lowered Con a bit.

Skill ranks: 16 skill points at first level (2 from Psion, 1 from Intelligence)*4 + 4 from human.

Psicraft - 4 ranks. Good to know what I'm doing with this 'psionics' stuff.
Concentration - 4 ranks. Useful. Not much more to say, being able to focus on things better would be nice.
Craft: Jewelry - 4 ranks. Fun hobby, can make some money off selling things online. Not needing to sleep should speed up production significantly.
Diplomacy - 2 ranks. General talky skill. Very useful!
Use Magic Device - 2 ranks. A special tool that will help us later.

Powers:
Empathy: Useful in social interaction, sensing hostility, etc.
Attraction: Useful in social interactions, also more complex uses (get someone to leave me alone by giving them an attraction to coffee, perhaps?)
Vigor: Ideally, I won't ever want to use this, but if I *do* need to toughen myself up more than my current 3 HP, I'm going to be glad I did.

[Edited because I remembered Flaws were a thing]

NCat
2023-02-12, 09:35 AM
Hmm, I'm staring down 2 more levels in Sha'Ir before I go into Anima Mage, but I'm feeling like I really wanna find a way to prestige out for level 2 and 3, or at least 3. Having lower Sha'Ir levels is preferred since that lets me do the Shuffle better. Does anyone have any good ideas what PRC's could be a good idea do to go for, just for a level or two, just to fill before I go into Anima Mage? I've had a look at some available, but a lot of them feel rough, or a bit too late for me to try and get into.

Class, Psion (egoist). Change Shape variant (https://web.archive.org/web/20151102153052/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a).

Oooh, this is a really cool way to get that. Dang, I feel I shoulda gone for that almost. Nice.

Kalkra
2023-02-13, 02:00 PM
Hmm, I'm staring down 2 more levels in Sha'Ir before I go into Anima Mage, but I'm feeling like I really wanna find a way to prestige out for level 2 and 3, or at least 3. Having lower Sha'Ir levels is preferred since that lets me do the Shuffle better. Does anyone have any good ideas what PRC's could be a good idea do to go for, just for a level or two, just to fill before I go into Anima Mage? I've had a look at some available, but a lot of them feel rough, or a bit too late for me to try and get into.

You might be able to pull off some early entry shenanigans. Sanctum Spell and Precocious Apprentice are the easiest, Heighten Spell with Easy Metamagic or Earth Spell is less RAW-ambiguous. Sadly, I think there's no corruption so no Mad Faith + Eldritch Corruption for 5th-level spells at level 1.

In theory, I think you could take Apprentice (Soldier), Bind Vestige, Improved Binding, and Heighten Spell at level 1, then at level 2 take a level of Binder and retrain Bind Vestige to Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell). That should let you enter Anima mage at 3.

I'm not sure that works, but it looks good.

Troacctid
2023-02-13, 02:46 PM
You might be able to pull off some early entry shenanigans. Sanctum Spell and Precocious Apprentice are the easiest, Heighten Spell with Easy Metamagic or Earth Spell is less RAW-ambiguous. Sadly, I think there's no corruption so no Mad Faith + Eldritch Corruption for 5th-level spells at level 1.

In theory, I think you could take Apprentice (Soldier), Bind Vestige, Improved Binding, and Heighten Spell at level 1, then at level 2 take a level of Binder and retrain Bind Vestige to Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell). That should let you enter Anima mage at 3.

I'm not sure that works, but it looks good.
Easy Metamagic is not compatible with Heighten Spell because Heighten Spell doesn't have a slot adjustment like other metamagic. It just checks what slot you actually used, and sets it to that level. Generally, unless the metamagic reducer effect you use calls out an interaction with Heighten Spell specifically (as is the case with Eldritch Corruption, or the Naenhoon illumian sigils), they won't combine in the way you want.

In the D&D world, a spell level prerequisite represents the size and complexity of the spells that you can encompass in your mind. So it should be readily apparent that any effect that only heightens spells after you leave your mind—i.e. at the time of casting—will not help you meet those prerequisites. If you can't prepare the spell that way, it definitely won't work, and this is something you should be able to deduce from known information.

Kalkra
2023-02-13, 09:02 PM
Easy Metamagic is not compatible with Heighten Spell because Heighten Spell doesn't have a slot adjustment like other metamagic. It just checks what slot you actually used, and sets it to that level. Generally, unless the metamagic reducer effect you use calls out an interaction with Heighten Spell specifically (as is the case with Eldritch Corruption, or the Naenhoon illumian sigils), they won't combine in the way you want.

In the D&D world, a spell level prerequisite represents the size and complexity of the spells that you can encompass in your mind. So it should be readily apparent that any effect that only heightens spells after you leave your mind—i.e. at the time of casting—will not help you meet those prerequisites. If you can't prepare the spell that way, it definitely won't work, and this is something you should be able to deduce from known information.

If Heighten Spell doesn't have a slot adjustment and the increased slot you cast it at is just a consequence of it being a higher level then it's difficult to understand how you could apply it for free with something like Eldritch Corruption. Also, Easy Metamagic doesn't say anything about slot adjustment, it just says that it lowers the slot required by one level, to a minimum of one higher than the spell's actual level. Heighten Spell references effective level, which isn't necessarily the same as actual level, although who knows, because none of these terms are really defined.

Happily, given what you said about the size and complexity of spells in your mind, which is presumably mechanically represented by spell slots, means that Precocious Apprentice would work, as it gives you an actual 2nd-level spell slot rather than letting you cast a 2nd-level spell from a 1st-level slot.

Sadly, Precocious Apprentice can only be taken at level 1, meaning I'll need two more levels of Wizard in addition to the third level of Erudite I took. I am now very much regretting my life choices, and eagerly awaiting the day I can fully rebuild my character via rituals or level loss or what have you.

Now that I know Sanctum Spell won't work, I'll take Iron Will in anticipation of getting War Magic Study eventually. On the plus side, Iron Will might have actual benefits.

Troacctid
2023-02-13, 11:08 PM
Since the ability to cast 2nd level spells is a prerequisite for getting a spell slot out of Precocious Apprentice, it should be pretty easy to deduce the problem with that method.

Evoker
2023-02-13, 11:39 PM
Since the ability to cast 2nd level spells is a prerequisite for getting a spell slot out of Precocious Apprentice, it should be pretty easy to deduce the problem with that method.

What? Precocious Apprentice says 'You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell' You gain the slot regardless of if you can 'natively' cast 2d level spells, it's just a slot with a specific limitation placed on it.

Seward
2023-02-18, 08:23 PM
A second level of Witch.

In reality, I gotta go with a Pathfinder Witch. They have Delay Disease, Diagnose Disease as L1 spells (and only they have delay disease as such) and a healing hex. There's a Harrow card variant (Cartomancer) where my deck of cards is my familiar, basically. That's me, I read tarot sometimes and my gaze-hound doesn't need another animal in the house. For my other starting spells, Jury Rig, Comprehend Languages, Unseen Servant. None of the Patrons thrill me, but I'll go with Endurance, mostly for Endure Elements at L2. Cantrips would be mending, guidance prestidigitation (on my list from 2 world magic, below)

Attributes

Str 11 My carrying capacity is in this range.
Dex .8 I am a galoot
Con .9 If this was higher, I might have picked another class.
Int 14 (12+2 human). My highest stat IRL, no question
Wis 13 with age comes wisdom. In my 20s, this would have been my 8
Cha 10 I have skill points in cha skills IRL, but am neither naturally good or bad at this.

Traits: Two World Magic (Prestidigitation is on my spell list), Harrow Chosen (I've got that heirloom deck...but the kind of divinations I do with it aren't short-time-range like Augury, so why not?)

L1 skills - basically stuff helpful for understanding magic, guessing about my patron, healing or my new "natural setting" home.

Heal 1 rank, Kn Nature 1 rank, Kn Arcana 1 rank, Spellcraft 1 rank, Kn Planes 1 rank, UMD 1 rank (hey, a magic item might happen someday in a world that grants levels) (2+2int+1human+1 favored class)

Feats
Extra Hex (Feral Speech - So I could talk to my dog when he's scared, or I could ask him if he is in pain etc).
Believer's Boon - Restoration Domain - remove fatigue 1/day. Incredibly useful. Enough to suck up to a healing deity of some kind, possibly that Endurance patron, possibly somebody else.

Hmm....It appears that way back in 2013 I took a level in "Cleric or Druid". I guess it's time to clarify what i did with that level. Pity I can't just retrain it into Witch3.

<EDIT> - it seems I CAN just retrain it to Witch 3. The character sheet below reflects post retraining costs. I have the time and money to do the retraining IRL <end EDIT>

Also I was supposed to apply aging modifiers. So I kinda messed that up. Lets try the stats again, with starting age = "old", and with starting class as I originally chose, which affects trait and feat choices.

Witch3

Each skill has 1 rank devoted to it unless otherwise noted
.9 Str 12-3 for aging ________1 Any Str Skill
.6 Dex .9-3 for aging _______ 0 Any Dex Skill
.8 Con 11-3 for aging
17 Int 13+2 Human +2 Aging 5 Any Int Skill
12 Wis 10+2 for aging ______3 Any Wis Skill
10 Cha .8+2 for aging ______2 Any Cha Skill
11 Hitpoints 6+2.5+2.5 (witch 2)-3 con +3 favored class Witch

Skills (level on left, ranks spent on right, total = 18 from Witch levels+int+favored class)

This section is more to understand how Witch powers work in Pathfinder logic, vs real world logic I also have all Knowledge skills at +5 via feats, but these seemed like I should invest more.
7 Kn Nature 1
7 Kn Arcane 1
7 Kn Planes 1
9 Spellcraft 3
6 Use Magic Device 3
5 Heal 1
5 Profession 1 (Witch With Healing Patron)
5 Profession 1 (Healer)

This is stuff just useful in everyday life. Where else will I so swiftly get expertise in useful professions, even if they have to be Pathfinder style professions? Note that with my feat choices I can do ANY craft skill at a basic 5 level, assuming tools, but professions are only +3.

5 Profession 1 (Cook)
5 Profession 1 (Tinker) (closest I can get to Handyman)
5 Profession 1 (Gardener)
5 Profession 1 (Maid) (for the cleaning skills and organization)
5 Intimidate 2
5 Diplomacy to Persuade Others (student of Philosophy)
5 Bluff to convince others a lie is true (student of Philosophy)

Traits Two World Magic (Prestidigitation on spell list), Student of Philosophy

Feats
L1+Human Fast Learner, Improvisation
Do any skill at +2 if no skill ranks, do all trained skills untrained.
L3 Feat Extra Hex

Witch(Healing Patron) Hexes: Healing Hex, Feral Speech, Prehensile Hair

Spells Known:
L0 All plus Prestidigitation
L1 Comprehend Languages, Delay Disease, Diagnose Disease, Jury Rig, Karmic Blessing, Mage Armor, Nature's Paths, Unseen Servant, Remove Fear (Patron)
L2 Delay Pain, Delay Poison, Lesser Restoration (Patron)

Lesser Restoration means I can ignore fatigue, or repair damage done by disease. Extraordinarily useful. Delay Poison also has its uses beyond the obvious, such as social drinking, or letting somebody with a food allergy get medical aid if they ate the wrong thing. But mostly those two are the same idea as Delay Disease - if I can't fix an actual problem I can mitigate its effects for a few hours. I have a lot of people in my life with chronic pain. It'd be nice to do something about that so they could enjoy an event or gathering or just get something done they need to get done without pain fog.

Familiar is a Scarlet Spider, just to be so small nobody, including my dog, ever notices it. It can stay at home, as I don't normally need +3 to my climb speed or Alertness. Cartomancer pays hexes to function so like all other Witch archetypes it is a non starter. I need my hexes. So I have to accept a familiar.

Prehensile hair...10' reach with 17 D&D strength? And it can exert that force without risking a hernia or back injury? Yes please! It'd be stronger than I was in my prime, much less now.

TalonOfAnathrax
2023-02-19, 09:02 AM

Oooh, this is a really cool way to get that. Dang, I feel I shoulda gone for that almost. Nice.
My build is a Sha'ir who goes into Durthan early. It's feat-intensive though, you may not be able to enter easily.
Other easy entry PrCs for Sha'ir are Mystic Theurge (pointless), and Geomancer (neat, skill requirements, physical mutations may be inconvenient in real life).

Kalkra
2023-02-19, 09:28 AM
Hmm....It appears that way back in 2013 I took a level in "Cleric or Druid". I guess it's time to clarify what i did with that level. Pity I can't just retrain it into Witch3. Also I was supposed to apply aging modifiers. So I kinda messed that up. Lets try the stats again, with starting age = "old", and with starting class as I originally chose, which affects trait and feat choices.

I'll mention that since it seems you're doing Pathfinder, you have access to the Pathfinder rebuilding rules, which I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know that they can be used, unlike 3.5.

Seward
2023-02-19, 11:38 AM
I'll mention that since it seems you're doing Pathfinder, you have access to the Pathfinder rebuilding rules, which I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know that they can be used, unlike 3.5.

7 days to retrain a class, but I wasn't sure if it was allowed. I'd leave the feat choices in place since the original Witch choices wouldn't have been available, and the new ones have grown on me anyway but yeah, the endgoal of this Witch build is Remove Disease, (with Delay Disease available from level 1 as a stopgap). If I can retrain, I'd go back and change Druid to Witch, choose some L1 Witch skills to replace the Druid skills and pick a couple L2 spells Known, plus Lesser Restoration from the Patron to round out L3.

Ok, from top post

Q: Is retraining allowed?
A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system

Ok, the 1 week is no big deal, I'm retired so I could make the time. The 210gp is a bit more of an issue, lets see, at 50 to a pound that's 4.2lb, 61.25 troy ounces. Today's gold prices are 1842.64/ounce or 125kish, which I could actually do but it'd require selling some retirement money to avoid wiping out my cash on hand. However platinum is worth 10gp in Pathfinder so I'd only need 6.125 troy ounces of Platinum, which is only 920/oz and would cost about the same as the shed I'm getting installed next month behind my house. So ok, I could pay that out of my checking account or just charge it on my card so.....I'll go up to the original post and revise the skills and spells known and such.

There also thankfully doesn't seem to be any requirement for a trainer.

Kalkra
2023-02-19, 01:01 PM
Ok, the 1 week is no big deal, I'm retired so I could make the time. The 210gp is a bit more of an issue, lets see, at 50 to a pound that's 4.2lb, 61.25 troy ounces. Today's gold prices are 1842.64/ounce or 125kish, which I could actually do but it'd require selling some retirement money to avoid wiping out my cash on hand. However platinum is worth 10gp in Pathfinder so I'd only need 6.125 troy ounces of Platinum, which is only 920/oz and would cost about the same as the shed I'm getting installed next month behind my house. So ok, I could pay that out of my checking account or just charge it on my card so.....I'll go up to the original post and revise the skills and spells known and such.

By comparing the table on page 204 of the d20 Modern Core Rulebook to the table in the web article here (https://www.scribd.com/document/259288380/2-Future-Tech-Meets-Fantasy#) (I couldn't find where it was on the WotC website archives), it seems like 1 gp = $20. Of course, mixing systems is kinda sketchy and ultimately up to Troacctid.

Troacctid
2023-02-19, 01:27 PM
Exchange rates are covered by the FAQ.

Kalkra
2023-02-19, 01:39 PM
Exchange rates are covered by the FAQ.

The FAQ says to use a reasonable exchange rate, without specifying further on the grounds that it isn't important. Seeing as some people do consider money to be important, I was proposing what I would consider to be a reasonable exchange rate, but I don't know if you consider that to be reasonable. Unless your point was that we shouldn't be thinking about it at all, but personally that would kinda ruin the immersion for me. Of course, I'm assuming that I could use magic to make enough money to cover any costs I might incur, but that's just me.

Seward
2023-02-19, 01:50 PM
Well, to a 3rd level character 210gp isn't a huge amount of money compared to their total wealth, but isn't just an expense you don't have to track, like buying an ale from an inkeeper.

The "About the same as a shed I'm putting in back" figure I got by working out platinum exchange rates works for me at this point in my life. (I'm getting age bonuses/penalties after all, and part of the benefit of aging for me at least is increased resources. Me at any time before about age 30 would have considered that amount of money absolutely impossible, so if I was doing this at that age, 210gp would have been more like 210 dollars...a noticable expense, but my clunker cars mugged me for repair bills bigger than that and I managed somehow)

Should I encounters something like this in future, my interpretation of this FAQ for me personally will be a thumbnail check against expected WBL and compare it to my resources. I suspect for me, the platinum conversion will work well and I may stick with it, but everybody should find their own way to balance it. Retraining should be something you notice but doesn't break you, at least in Pathfinder.

And while we may not be here to do math, for me details like this are part of the fun. If they aren't fun for you, don't do it. Also I had to edit my entry again, I chose 2 magic traits which isn't allowed, so I fixed that and picked a trait that worked with my starting feats instead.

The 1gp to $20 approach gives numbers in same ballpark as platinum (that would be $4200 USD for 7 days of retraining of a level 3 character, less than platinum but still mid-5 figures). That seems high if you aren't at my level of overall wealth, which is at "I am retired in my 50s" levels, a fairly unusual level.

Zhentarim
2023-02-28, 09:50 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25442463&postcount=267

Another level of vigilante (warlock), it is. That should make me vigilante (warlock) 5, and almost ready for my prestige class.

Also, I think I made a mistake and took something without meeting a prerequisite a couple years ago, but I can take it again this level just fine, if I just retcon myself as having took the prereq two years ago.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/a-b/book-blessed/
I am not quite ready to buy a blessed book to transfer my spells over to, but I may do so in a couple years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Teacher // Zhentarim

LN (social identity)// NE (vigilante identity) Warlock Vigilante 5

Trait 1 (Social) -- Mentored (https://www.aonprd.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mentored): +1 on Profession (Teacher)
Trait 2 (Cosmic) -- The Wagon (https://www.aonprd.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=The%20Wagon): Once per day, I may increase my movement speed by 10 feet for 1 round as a swift action.

13+2=15 INT (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

12 DEX

11+2= 13 CHA (Dual-Talented Human Variant) (lvl 4 stat increase)

10 CON

9+1= 10 WIS (Lvl 4 stat increase)

8 STR

Skills: cha+3+5 diplomacy (1d20+9), cha+3+5 bluff (1d20+9), wis+3+5 [additional +4 because of social grace] sense motive (1d20+12), int+0 [additional +2 because of Noble Scion feat] k(nobility) (1d20+5) (untrained), cha+3+5 disguise (1d20+9) int+3+5 Spellcraft (1d20+10), wis+5 [+10 because of Social Grace and Mentored (Social Trait)] P(Teacher) (1d20+10)

Feats: 1=Noble Scion (scion of peace), 3=Noble Stipend, 5= Signature Skill [P: Teacher]

Class Skills: Dual Identity, Spellcasting, Mystic Bolts [Acid], Seamless Guise, Unshakeable, Social Talents (1=Social Grace [P: Teacher] and 5=Social Grace [Sense Motive], 3=Double Time, 5=In Vogue [P: Teacher]), Vigilante Talents (Tattoo Chamber)

Favored Class: Vigilante (+5 HP)

HP: 29/29

Spellbook (50 pages):

0-level spells

Page 1: Resistance (prepared)
Page 2: Acid Splash
Page 3: Detect Magic (prepared)
Page 4: Detect Poison
Page 5: Read Magic (prepared)
Page 6: Daze
Page 7: Dancing Lights
Page 8: Flare
Page 9: Light (Prepared)
Page 10: Ray of Frost
Page 11: Spark
Page 12: Ghost Sound
Page 13: Haunted Fey Aspect
Page 14: Bleed
Page 15: Disrupt Undead
Page 16: Touch of Fatigue
Page 17: Jolt
Page 18: Mage Hand
Page 19: Mending
Page 20: Message
Page 21: Open/Close
Page 22: Root
Page 23: Scrivener’s Chant
Page 24: Arcane Mark
Page 25: Prestidigitation

1st level spells

Page 26: Charm Person (Prepared)
Page 27: Expeditious Retreat
Page 28: Infernal Healing
Page 29: Protection from Good
Page 30: Protection from Chaos
Page 31: Protection from Evil
Page 32: Protection from Law
Page 33: Secluded Grimoire (Prepared) (Used immediately after spell preparation)
Page 34: Color Spray
Page 35: Comprehend Languages (Prepared)
Page 36: Cultural Adaptation (Prepared)
Page 37: Memory Lapse
Page 38: Floating Disk

2nd level Spells

Pages 39 and 40: Share Language (Prepared 3 times)
Pages 41 and 42: Dress Corpse
Pages 43 and 44: Create Treasure Map
Pages 45 and 46: Blood Transcription

-----------
Money Math:

Assuming I've done profession checks 5 days a week, 8 hours a day every level since level 1, using the profession checks I'd have at each level and taking 13 each check (as per the noble scion feat, which lets me take 13 any time I'd take 10 on a wisdom check):

Level 1: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 1 rank + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 22 times 52 = 1144 gold, divided by 2 is 572 gold.

Level 2: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 2 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 23 times 52 = 1196 gold, divided by 2 is 598 gold.

Level 3 (commentary): At this level, I could take 13 on 4 hours of work per day and then take 13 again on the other 4 hours. Double Time Social Talent reduces a work shift from 8 hours down to 4 hours.

Level 3 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 3 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 24 times 52 = 1248 gold plus (24 times 52 = 1248) = 2496 gold, divided by 2 is 1248 gold.

Level 4: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 4 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 25 times 52 = 1300 gold plus (25 times 52 = 1300) = 2600 gold, divided by 2 is 1300 gold.

Level 5 (commentary): Thanks to Signature Skill [P: Teacher], I no longer need to divide my earnings by 2 when calculating weekly gold. In fact, with the In-Vogue Social Talent stacking with the feat, my earnings are now doubled instead of halved.

Level 5 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 5 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 26 times 52 = 1352 gold plus (26 times 52 = 1352 gold) = 2,704, multiplied by 2 is 5408 gold

5096+1300+1248+598+572= 8814 gold that can be spent on whatever I want.

Also starting from year 3, I got 5200 gold per year from the Noble Stipend feat, but this pool of gold can only be spent on nonmaterial services or on the options presented in Cost of Living. 5200 times 3 (for levels 3, 4, and 5) equals 15,600 gold.

Kaladin
2023-03-09, 06:55 PM
I'm taking my second level in Wizard. I'll probably come back later and edit this to show my build.

JNinja
2023-03-17, 04:53 PM
This is a cool thread! I'll take my first level in Bard, alignment NG.

STR - 8
DEX - 11
CON - 9
INT - 10
WIS - 12
CHA - 13

Spells learned: Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation

Skill points:
Craft (Code) - 4
Craft (Creative Writing) - 3
Decipher Script - 2
Diplomacy - 1
Escape Artist - 1
Knowledge (Arcana) - 1
Knowledge (Arch/Eng) - 2
Knowledge (Local) - 1
Knowledge (History) - 2
Knowledge (Religion) - 1
Move Silently - 2
Perform (Voice) - 2
Perform (Piano) - 1
Profession (Developer) - 4
Sense Motive - 1

Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Run

NCat
2023-03-21, 08:13 PM
Does sanctum spell grant the ability to cast spells of a higher level in a way that matters for prestige classes? I.e, "Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells", and then your spells being one level higher (1st level becomes a 2nd level) while within your sanctum?

Troacctid
2023-03-21, 08:39 PM
What? Precocious Apprentice says 'You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell' You gain the slot regardless of if you can 'natively' cast 2d level spells, it's just a slot with a specific limitation placed on it.
Suffice it to say that at the time you get the first benefit, you are not able to cast 2nd level spells yet. If you were, you would immediately lose the first benefit and replace it with the second benefit—which would make the whole first part of the feat do absolutely nothing. So, in the interest of allowing the feat to function as intended, it doesn't work like that.

And while we may not be here to do math, for me details like this are part of the fun.
In that case, use the WBL guidelines as your framework. Your total D&D-related expenditures for the year should not exceed the amount of wealth allotted to your current level-up. As a level 2 witch, that gives you a budget of 1,000 gp, and when you reach level 3, you'll get another 2,000 gp. Use real-world finances for real-world expenses, and WBL guidelines for "game" expenses.

Does sanctum spell grant the ability to cast spells of a higher level in a way that matters for prestige classes? I.e, "Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells", and then your spells being one level higher (1st level becomes a 2nd level) while within your sanctum?
No.

aglondier
2023-03-21, 09:37 PM
In that case, use the WBL guidelines as your framework. Your total D&D-related expenditures for the year should not exceed the amount of wealth allotted to your current level-up. As a level 2 witch, that gives you a budget of 1,000 gp, and when you reach level 3, you'll get another 2,000 gp. Use real-world finances for real-world expenses, and WBL guidelines for "game" expenses.

Is there any issue if I sidestep WBL while playing Downtime shenanigans? During level 3 alone I have earned and spent more than 10,000gp through basically building what amounts to an entire town...which will only get bigger as time goes on...

2023-03-22, 01:41 AM
This looks fun! I'll take my first level in Fighter (sadly the 3.5 version since that's what I know best), with an eye on eventually picking up Wizard and Abjurant Champion levels. Probably throw a level of Spellsword in there too. For now, let's go with these scores:

Str 8
Dex 12
Con 9
Int 13
Wis 10
Cha 11

Losing constitution sucks when mine is already so low, but it's a lot easier to do weightlifting and cardio training than trying to boost all of what dexterity allows, and the mental score increases seem great.

Obviously I should be fighting at range, so let's put that Fighter bonus feat to work and grab Able Learner, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), and Point-Blank Shot. What? Don't look at me like that. With my stats, guns do me more good than any other weapon, and I want feats that I won't miss when I retrain them for more exciting magical feats later. Normally I'm not too happy to be a human in this game, but as bekeleven pointed out, Able Learner should be pretty useful for what comes next...

For skills, I'll put 2 points each into Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Perform (String Instruments), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, and Tumble, and 1 point into Craft (Weaponsmithing) and Perform (Sing). I know almost none of those are class skills, but if you ignore my naturally negative wisdom modifier, I can see and hear as well as an average elf, and the others are just useful and/or fun. Forging average iron daggers is the old-school standard smithing practice, and why not get a head-start on learning a bit about magic for next year?

For my extra language, let's grab Draconic, the classic wizarding language.

So, I... Think that's it? Not the most interesting first level, but I think it's got some handy stuff. I'd like if I could pump charisma and grab Otherworldly Countenance, or maybe pick up a bunch of utility 0-level SLAs, but I feel like those are harder to justify for myself. What's the point in a wizard's journey if you get the good stuff right off the bat? And so, for the moment, I am but a simple warrior. With 8 strength. And a gun.

SangoProduction
2023-03-22, 02:23 AM
Each and every time, I keep thinking it's a new thing. And it's not. So now I've learned. A true level up.
I'll level up Druid again, and this time specify it to be a Spirit Mender archetype. Artificer being from the previous edition shouldn't be too... impactful, honestly, as they are compatible. (Also Incanter was taken before the update. So. Not sure what happens to that. Probably nothing.)

Becoming an even more godly healer and assistant to the disaster-prone is a nice step to take.
Notable Gain of function: Magical diagnosis abilities. Cantrips. Spiritual protection, providing substantial protection to physical dangers. Ability to create and change the size of objects. Is capable of providing magically-fast rapid-prototyping of physical objects.
Oh, and the integration of Artificer's Craft Scrolls allows for the sale of scrolls that allow for creation and healing powers.
Actually bought magical Items

Level Up: +1 Druid (archetype specified to Spirit Mender)
Levels: Artificer 1 / Druid 2 / Incanter 1

Scores: Int 16; Dex 12; Con: 11; Cha 10; Str 9; Wis 8
Templates: Actually read, and saw they weren't available any more. Good, because I bought it by taking Young. The ravages of time strips all of ECL.

Saves: Fort +5
Ref: +3
Will: +10
(Thankfully with the focus on healing, I can just grit my teeth and power through what I don't dodge.)

Magical items: Bottomless Flask (1k gp each) x3. For a total of 60 gallons worth of liquid storage, in 15 separate extradimensional spaces. Very useful when your healing spells are restricted to liquid transmission. And when you like water. Especially clean, filtered water, and don't like to carry it around.
(Presumably scrolls as well, but if I can't cycle real money into it, as I seem to be unable to do so, it doesn't really make sense to use the very limited resource of GP on consumables. But if I can, I literally just mail people "Life in a page," to cure many of the most crippling conditions, and injuries, and then reinvest that into more scrolls. This helps more people, and gets more scrolls. Until the entire healthcare industry collapses, due to being very unfairly outcompeted, and everyone is entirely dependent upon the whims of my magic... hmm, this is taking a dark turn.)

Class Benefits:

Incanter: +1 HP. +1 CL to life sphere.
Fey Servant: Fey hedgehog, with the hedgehog bonus of +2 will save. And it's cute.

Druid: Attendant Spirits - Cantrip feat, and a passive cleaning service.
Spiritual Protection: +5 AC and CMD while unarmored. (So just as good as some fairly serious armor. +7 when Sustained, which is equivalent to heavy armors.)
Bound Spirits: Minor daily bonuses (given IRL circumstances). Back up healing is neat.
Effortless Stride: Ghosts help carry me, letting me, ignore "difficult terrain," such as disaster areas where healing would be quite appreciated.
Fey Domain: Let someone be lucky a few times a day. (And bonus Fallen Fey talent)

Spell Points: 3 [level] + 3 [drawbacks] + 3 [intelligence]
9 spell points per day.

1) Base Life Sphere (CL 4): melee touch range
^Cure: Std act, spell point, 1d8 + CL positive energy heal
^Invigorate: std act, temp hp = CL, max of total hp, 1 hour
^Restore... : Std act, spell point. Removes or lessens conditions
^^Mind: Remove dazzled, and staggered, lessens fear 1 step,
^^Body: Remove battered. Reduce fatigued or sickened by 1 step
^^Soul: Heals 1d4 ability damage. (Whatever that translates to.)

2) Resuscitate: A heal within 1 round of death brings them back to life.

3 [Incanter 1] ) Self-Renewal: Cast self-healing quickly. Even immediately after incapacitation. So...resuscitate. Man that's got to be painful. But better than dead.

4 [Sphere specialization] ) Restore Health: +1d8 to Cure, and can Restore Health to attempt a caster level check against the disease / poison's DC. Even if you ignore the overuse of the term "disease" in today's culture, 'tis very useful.

5 [Extra Magical Talent, human] ) Restore Mind: +1d8 to Cure, and cures Alzheimer's.

6 [Extra Magical Talent, level 1] ) Sustaining Vitality: Bonus to AC and saves. Improves will power and health. Stick with that exercise routine! And it's free, with Invigorate.

7 [Tradition] ) Water of Life: Can imbue fluids or a portion of food with Life sphere abilities, which remains as a "health potion" until I rest. Yes. I will bring about video game logic of eating donuts to cure bullet wounds.

8 [Druid 1] ) Diagnose: Very useful, as can be told from the name alone.

9 [Druid 2] ) Creation base sphere (CL 3): Alter (Destroy and Repair) - cantrip to damage or repair objects.
Create - create up to a medium-size object from vegetable material. Including a wall that's 30-by-10 feet long.

10 [Tradition] Magnify/Minimize: Change an object's size category by 1. Or 2 for a spell point. (Notably, it doesn't care about material type.)

11 [Extra Magical Talent, level 3] Larger Creation - doubles size of objects (now up to 3 medium-equivalent), for a spell point.

12 [Tradition] Exquisite Detail - Provides some fine detail work to creations.

13 [Druid Fey Domain] Fallen Fey base sphere- Virtually nothing. But a bonus to initiative and perception in Urban terrain is kinda nice. I guess.

General Drawbacks: 5 drawbacks. +1 Spell point per level.
-Wild Magic: 10% chance of wild magic occurring on cast. Variety is the spice of life. ha ha.
-Narcoleptic Casting: Spending spell points has a chance of putting me to sleep for about 6 seconds. It's a power nap. Counts as two drawbacks.
-Magical Signs: When casting: glow brilliantly, with the chorus of angels at my back. What? I can't be fanciful?
-Prepared Caster: Must assign spell points to the spheres before their use.

Life Specific Drawback:
-Medicinal: Can't directly cast on creatures. Instead can use liquids to transfer heals

Creation Specific Drawback:
Material Mimic - Must be in physical contact with another object composed of the same material that will result from the effect.
Fission - Take damage to create objects.

Maat Mons
2023-03-22, 04:30 AM
Looks like I forgot about this thread for a couple years. For this year, I'll take another +1 Cleric level for my 3.5 self, and another +1 Oracle level for my Pathfinder self. At some point, I'll edit this post to add my feat picks. Okay, double- and triple-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally write "feet picks." That would have been embarrassing.

bekeleven
2023-03-22, 08:20 AM
I know none of those are class skills
Have you considered the feat Able Learner?

2023-03-22, 11:17 AM
Have you considered the feat Able Learner?

I did think about it, but... Well, actually... I decided against it because I was afraid what'd happen when I retrain it--will I suddenly feel like learning non-game-related skills is that much harder, too? But if that were the case, then maybe it's useful enough in-character that, even though it's not normally too relevant for a fighter/wizard, it's actually worth keeping. And even if not, it's not as though I'll be getting that many skill points as a wizard with just a +1...

Well, fair point then. It's not too late to change my answer, is it?

Troacctid
2023-03-22, 02:05 PM
It's not too late to change my answer, is it?
You can change your answer for the current year, but not previous years.

Zhentarim
2023-03-22, 07:42 PM
How is gold/dollars calculated for pathfinder profession checks? Is the signature skill feat going to be legal when I take it? Can I become a lich?

MinimanMidget
2023-03-22, 09:49 PM
If you're familiar with multiple editions, you can do all of them individually if you like, and have two or three different versions of your build, all of which will be the same level.

If I start a build in another edition, does it start at level 1, or my current level? I'm assuming level 1, but it seemed worth checking.

Troacctid
2023-03-22, 10:58 PM
How is gold/dollars calculated for pathfinder profession checks?
See the FAQ.

Is the signature skill feat going to be legal when I take it?
I don't understand the question.

Can I become a lich?
No.

If I start a build in another edition, does it start at level 1, or my current level? I'm assuming level 1, but it seemed worth checking.
Your current level.

Zhentarim
2023-03-23, 12:26 PM
See the FAQ.

I don't understand the question.

No.

Your current level.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/signature-skill-general/

It appears what I remembered was errata'ed out, but there used to be a clause that the gm could choose to disallow that feat at their discretion.

As far as the lich thing goes, there are official rules on that, as well: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/lich/

By the official rules, it won't be an option for another 6 years for me, but I've been building towards that, especially since Mammon will claim me if I ever die without a backup way of returning to life. There are other ways besides becoming a lich, but that seemed like the most thematic option.

Edit: based on FAQ, lich seems like it would be the equivalent of taking two levels in a template class, and that makes it somewhat less appealing

Edit2: I forgot this on the original post -- pathfinder usually allows players to take 3 traits and a flaw. Does that apply here?

Wildstag
2023-03-24, 11:40 PM

Your current level.

Well shoot dang, I have a rest of a build to put together. In 2022, I put together a hypothetical 3PP version of me that has Spheres feats that make me effectively a werewolf with none of the penalties or benefits. For reference below:

Non-elite Array Human with Str 13 (15), Con 12, Dex 11, Wis 10, Int 9, Cha 8 (+2 to Str)

I'd be using my starting feat and bonus feat to take the Spheres of Power feats "Transformation" and "Transformation, Hybrid" with the Animalistic Transformation (Wolf) to become a werewolf without the prickliness of being a werewolf (like extra hd and all that).

As for Class, I'll be a Feral Striker Turfer Brawler. Four skill ranks applied to Climb, Perception, Craft (Woodcarving), and Knowledge (Local). FCB (HP).

For skills, I'd advance Climbing, Perception, and Knowledge (Local), but also take Ride. Thus 2 ranks in Climbing, Perception, and Knowledge (Local), 1 rank in Ride and Craft (Woodcarving). FCB (Skill Rank) to put 1 in Intimidate.

Bonus Combat Feat seems like it'd have to be Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike). What with the low attack roll (only a +4 or +5), I'd want a bit of accuracy to shore up the penalties from Brawler's Flurry. Plus it builds into so many potential options.

If I'm giving myself three additional levels so the 3PP me matches my 3.5 me in level, I'd continue with the class to be Feral Striker Turfer Brawler 5.

For Turfer class features, I'd have Favored Terrain (Deserts) or (Mountains) to match my current environment. Having hit 4th level, I get Endure Elements and a +10 foot enhancement bonus to speed while in deserts. I like it. For my Bonus Combat Feat, I'd probably take Outslug Style.

As for level-earned feats (3 and 5), I'd take Intimidating Prowess at level 3 and Transformation (Improved) at level 5, taking the Bestial Spirit trait to utilize the Roar mechanic (hopefully allowed by DM due to the "or another trait deemed appropriate to the form selected for your Transformation feat by the GM." text).

As for the ability score improvement at level 4, it'd have to be Strength, to get me that +3 bonus.

For skills, I'd advance Climbing, Perception, Knowledge (Local) fully, advance Ride twice and Intimidate once, and take every additional FCB as a skill rank put into Intimidate. That'd be 5 ranks in Climbing, Perception, and Knowledge (Local), and Intimidate; 3 ranks in Ride; 1 rank in Craft (Woodcarving) assuming I'm tracking all my ranks properly.

Zhentarim
2023-03-26, 01:11 PM
Troacctid, can I use Occult Rituals (https://www.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?Name=Occult%20Rituals&Category=Occult%20Rules)? There is a ritual in there called First Apotheosis I'd like to try, but it takes a year to complete. I selected Mammon as my patron, Lawful Evil Archdevil of Greed and Riches. Do both my social and vigilante identities need to shift to Lawful Evil, or does only one of them need to shift?

Red Fel
2023-03-31, 11:25 PM
Oh my badness. Is this still a thing?

That's right, kids. To paraphrase a meme: I lived, snitch.

Let's see. Last time (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25322704&postcount=72), I was...

Red Fel
Psion (Telepath) 5/ Thrallherd 1
STR: 8
DEX: 10
CON: 12
INT: 16
WIS: 13
CHA: 14

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity (Psion bonus feat); Extend Power; Inquisitor (Psion bonus feat); Psicrystal Containment1
PP/day: 25+62
Powers Known: Attraction; Charm, Psionic; Crisis of Breath; Demoralize; False Sensory Input; Inertial Armor; Mindlink; Read Thoughts; Share Pain; Suggestion, Psionic; Vigor.

1 Level 6 includes a bonus feat. I am choosing Psycrystal Containment, for an extra psionic focus.
2 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.
The question of whether to advance Psion or Thrallherd... isn't actually all that much of a question, really. Since a Thrallherd 2 gets everything a Psion 6 gets except for saves, that's an obvious choice.

... Looking back, I can't imagine why I took Inquisitor over the Telepathy feature. Odd choice, but whatever.

In any event, let's see... 7th level gets me no ability score increases, no feats. Advancing to Thrallherd 2 gets me the equivalent of Psion 6 in terms of powers and PP, so that's...

Red Fel
Psion (Telepath) 5/ Thrallherd 2
STR: 8
DEX: 10
CON: 12
INT: 16
WIS: 13
CHA: 14

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity (Psion bonus feat); Extend Power; Inquisitor (Psion bonus feat); Psicrystal Containment
PP/day: 35+61
Powers Known: Attraction; Charm, Psionic; Control Sound2; Crisis of Breath; Crystalstorm2; Demoralize; False Sensory Input; Inertial Armor; Mindlink; Read Thoughts; Share Pain; Suggestion, Psionic; Vigor.

1 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.
2 At Thrallherd 2 (or Psion 6) I get 35 PP and 13 powers known, up from 11, of level 3 or lower.
As my only real increase other than PP is powers known, it's time to expand my arsenal yet again. I'm taking Control Sound, because changing one sound into another is a fantastic way to oh-so-subtly drive someone completely insane.

And I'm taking Crystalstorm, because the Hells with subtlety, I have a death ray. Seriously, Crystalstorm is basically a great way to kill an enemy expediently. It's a ray that launches a ranged touch attack, does not allow PR/SR, and does not trigger a save (except against the Con damage). It's cheap to augment. It's not Force damage, but in the real world I'm unlikely to encounter an incorporeal foe, so that's less of a concern. And yeah, it's slashing damage, so it's subject to DR/slashing, but things don't tend to have that naturally in the real world, and if I'm facing an armored enemy I've already made a mistake somewhere. It's basically a gun I always have on my person, which is always loaded.

Oh! My Thrallherd Leadership level goes up too, I forgot! That's character level + Cha modifier + Thrallherd level, so that's 7 + 2 + 2 = 11, which means... I have a level 7 Thrall, and six level 1 Believers. Also known as a bodyguard and a half dozen puppets/meatshields. Perfect.

But nutbunnies, it's a pity I can't swap out Inquisitor for the Telepathy ACF. That's a regret.

Oh, and one last thing. Don't forget this. Never forget this.

I'm still here.

aglondier
2023-04-07, 10:18 AM
So, given that some of us have gone in the direction of magic item crafting...would anyone be interested in commissioning items, and what would be a worthwhile trade? I know I would like to expand my 1st and 2nd level spell repertoire, but can no longer really afford the time to research every spell in the book. Pearls of Power, belts and headbands of attribute, other minor wondrous items...easily made...

How should this trade be handled/regulated?

bekeleven
2023-04-07, 01:55 PM
I have no spell access, but I can trade +1 armors if people are offering similarly-priced items.

Troacctid
2023-04-07, 03:42 PM
In case anyone's interested, I've been working on some fanfiction that's partly inspired by this thread. https://archiveofourown.org/works/45528022

Troacctid, can I use Occult Rituals (https://www.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?Name=Occult%20Rituals&Category=Occult%20Rules)? There is a ritual in there called First Apotheosis I'd like to try, but it takes a year to complete. I selected Mammon as my patron, Lawful Evil Archdevil of Greed and Riches. Do both my social and vigilante identities need to shift to Lawful Evil, or does only one of them need to shift?
I'm afraid I can't really help with Pathfinder questions, sorry. Not my edition. Just, uh...whatever the FAQ says, go with that.

Zhentarim
2023-04-08, 07:22 PM
Assuming I've done profession checks 5 days a week, 8 hours a day every level since level 1, using the profession checks I'd have at each level and taking 13 each check (as per the noble scion feat, which lets me take 13 any time I'd take 10 on a wisdom check):

Level 1: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 1 rank + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 22 times 52 = 1144 gold, divided by 2 is 572 gold.

Level 2: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 2 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 23 times 52 = 1196 gold, divided by 2 is 598 gold.

Level 3 (commentary): At this level, I could take 13 on 4 hours of work per day and then take 13 again on the other 4 hours. Double Time Social Talent reduces a work shift from 8 hours down to 4 hours.

Level 3 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 3 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 24 times 52 = 1248 gold plus (24 times 52 = 1248) = 2496 gold, divided by 2 is 1248 gold.

Level 4: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 4 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 25 times 52 = 1300 gold plus (25 times 52 = 1300) = 2600 gold, divided by 2 is 1300 gold.

Level 5 (commentary): Thanks to Signature Skill [P: Teacher], I no longer need to divide my earnings by 2 when calculating weekly gold. In fact, with the In-Vogue Social Talent stacking with the feat, my earnings are now doubled instead of halved.

Level 5 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 5 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 26 times 52 = 1352 gold plus (26 times 52 = 1352 gold) = 2,704, multiplied by 2 is 5408 gold

5096+1300+1248+598+572= 8814 gold that can be spent on whatever I want.

Also starting from year 3, I got 5200 gold per year from the Noble Stipend feat, but this pool of gold can only be spent on nonmaterial services or on the options presented in Cost of Living. 5200 times 3 (for levels 3, 4, and 5) equals 15,600 gold.

Troacctid
2023-04-09, 01:27 AM
Assuming I've done profession checks 5 days a week, 8 hours a day every level since level 1, using the profession checks I'd have at each level and taking 13 each check (as per the noble scion feat):

Level 1: (9 wis (-1) + 3 class skill + 1 rank + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 21 times 52 = 1092 gold ($20,800), divided by 2 is $10,400
Level 2: (9 wis (-1) + 3 class skill + 2 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 22 times 52 = 1144 gold ($21,840), divided by 2 is $10,920
Level 3: At this level, I could take 13 on 4 hours of work per day and then roll on top of that for another 4 hours, but I'll take 10 for simplicity for my second shift. Double Time Social Talent reduces a work shift from 8 hours down to 4 hours == (9 wis (-1) + 3 class skill + 3 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 23 times 52 = 1196 gold ($21,840) plus 19 times 52 = 988 gold ($18,160) plus 5200 gp from noble stipend ($104,000), so that's 7200 gp ($144,000) for year three. (104k of which can only be spent on nonmaterial goods/services)
Level 4: (9 wis (-1) + 3 class skill + 4 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 23 times 52 = 1196 gold ($23,920) plus 20 times 52 = 1040 gold ($20,800) plus 5200 gp from noble stipend ($104,000), so that's 7200 gp (104k of which can only be spent on nonmaterial goods/services)($145,720) for year four.
Level 5: Thanks to Signature Skill [P: Teacher], I no longer need to divide my earnings by 2 when calculating weekly gold. In fact, with the In-Vogue Social Talent stacking with the feat, my earnings are now doubled instead of halved. (9 wis (-1) + 3 class skill + 5 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 24 times 52 = 1248 gold ($24,960) plus 21 times 52 = 1040 gold ($20,800) plus 5200 gp from noble stipend ($104,000), so that's 7200 gp ($145,720) for year five. (104k of which can only be spent on nonmaterial goods/services)
Does your district not have summer vacations?

Anyway, gold and dollars do not convert. There's no exchange rate.

vasilidor
2023-04-09, 04:15 AM
I take my third level in investigator.
No optimization in my run. Apparently.
As I am a Pathfinder character, I don't gain a feat at this level.

Zhentarim
2023-04-10, 09:18 AM
Does your district not have summer vacations?

Anyway, gold and dollars do not convert. There's no exchange rate.

oh yeah, I forgot to factor that in, but I also forgot to fix some of the math on that on the back end. I'll do a fresh set of calculations.

That said, I usually do summer school, so that adds back in at least a few weeks during the summer.

When/if I get to level 15, my profession checks will start being the gold I earn per day, instead of per week, and I'll have a similacrum to stand in for me to do work for me while I do something else, so I don't even need to actually work at that point.

------

There is nothing in pathfinder saying that I can retrain my starting stats, but I can retrain my ability score increases: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/retraining/

I'm regretting putting my 12 in dexterity instead of wisdom, since I'm now wanting to multiclass into druid starting next level. What I'll do instead is spend 5 days to remove my +1 to CHA (which raised my cha from 13 to 14) and put it into wisdom instead (raise my wis from 9 to 10). That is the RAW thing I'm allowed to do, unless you decide to be nice and let me swap that base dex with base wis (base wis becomes 12 and base dex becomes 9). I can still make the multiclass work by item crafting a headband, but I don't want to follow the level-up plan I originally had in mind.

---
Edit:
I fixed my math:

Assuming I've done profession checks 5 days a week, 8 hours a day every level since level 1, using the profession checks I'd have at each level and taking 13 each check (as per the noble scion feat):

Level 3 (commentary): At this level, I could take 13 on 4 hours of work per day and then roll on top of that for another 4 hours, but I'll take 10 for simplicity for my second shift. Double Time Social Talent reduces a work shift from 8 hours down to 4 hours.

Level 3 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 3 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 24 times 52 = 1248 gold plus (21 times 52 = 1092) = 2340 gold, divided by 2 is 1170 gold.

Level 4: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 4 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 25 times 52 = 1300 gold plus (22 times 52 = 1144) = 2444 gold, divided by 2 is 1222 gold.

Level 5 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 5 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 26 times 52 = 1352 gold plus (23 times 52 = 1196 gold) = 2548, multiplied by 2 is 5096 gold

5096+1222+1170+598+572= 8658 gold that can be spent on whatever I want.

I'm going to count summer school and tutoring I do on the side as working days too, besides just the normal school year. I take it the gold is in addition to my normal salary?

--
Edit2: When targeted by the "reincarnate" spell on Earth, do you roll on the Golorion racial table or is there a different table for Earth? There is a section in the spell description that GM's may want to modify the table if playing on a different planet than Golorion.

Eldest
2023-04-19, 10:57 PM
Logged into the forum for the first time in months for this.

Factotum continues in the 3.5 build. Bard continues in the pathfinder build. As a bard, I built a bed and breakfast as a neutral zone last year. Assuming it's been finished and is standing, with no wizards having nuked it to the ground, I think I keep running that, with periodic breaks to go see the world and visit folks. Meanwhile, I have 3rd levels spells, which include such gems as haste, invisibility sphere, and I'm joking, these are terrible for this sort of setup.

Scrying, Lesser Geas, Akashic Communion, and Glibness. Those are what I'm looking at. Geas has the specific benefit of hitting everyone in the world except about 6 folks, most of whom I would not want to Geas because my whole thing is not being a threat.

Lesser Geas and Glibness are the winners this year, I think. I get another first level spell, but I don't remember what I had set up for those. I'll probably dig through that another day.

Factotum... honestly I don't remember what I was doing with that, other than next year is when I hit level 7, 3rd level wiz/sorc spells, and happiness. Maybe I've got a bookstore. That sounds lovely.

Edit: Bard spell array appears to have never had first level stuff selected. So let's go over it.

Cantrips. Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation, Spark, Summon Instrument.
1st. Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, , Vanish, Ear-Piercing Scream.
2nd. Glitterdust, Gallant Inspiration, Suggestion, Alter Self.
3rd. Lesser Geas, Glibness.

Zhentarim
2023-04-30, 08:29 AM
Is there any issue if I sidestep WBL while playing Downtime shenanigans? During level 3 alone I have earned and spent more than 10,000gp through basically building what amounts to an entire town...which will only get bigger as time goes on...

I also want to know this, as I also have a very financially focused character.

Troacctid
2023-04-30, 11:13 AM

I also want to know this, as I also have a very financially focused character.
You can do work and earn money in your local currency, and then spend real-world currency on real-world expenses like food, clothes, real estate, or Magic: The Gathering cards. It just can't be used to pay gp costs. For gp costs (e.g. magic item crafting), you are limited to a WBL budget which cannot be exceeded. GP cannot convert to USD and vice versa.

If you want your improved Profession skill to result in better pay in your salaried job, you'll have to actually ask for and negotiate a raise with your employer. The Profession skill will help you with that negotiation, though, so it probably works out the same.

FactualArcher
2023-05-02, 05:01 PM
This looks very cool. I'll be joining in as a Human Mystic Ranger Skilled City Dweller (Knowledge Local+Tumble+Gather Information) 1

Str 6
Dex 12
Con 10
Int 13
Wis 11
Cha 9

Flaws:
Frail
Pathetic

Feats:
Able Learner
Urban Tracking
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot

Skills (40 Ranks)
Knowledge Local 4
Knowledge Nature 2
Tumble 4
Gather Information 4
Spot 4
Listen 4
Spellcraft 4
Hide 4
Move Silently 4
Iaijutsu Focus 2
Survival 4

aglondier
2023-05-02, 08:05 PM
You can do work and earn money in your local currency, and then spend real-world currency on real-world expenses like food, clothes, real estate, or Magic: The Gathering cards. It just can't be used to pay gp costs. For gp costs (e.g. magic item crafting), you are limited to a WBL budget which cannot be exceeded. GP cannot convert to USD and vice versa.

If you want your improved Profession skill to result in better pay in your salaried job, you'll have to actually ask for and negotiate a raise with your employer. The Profession skill will help you with that negotiation, though, so it probably works out the same.

That would appear to be a problem, since the entire character was built around this. Starting 3 years ago with just a starting characters gold piece allocation and several months of Craft skill use to earn more gp, I was able to, using the Pathfinder downtime building rules, create several businesses. The earnings from those businesses, in gold pieces, was fed back into buying more businesses. By the end of year 3 (this year) we have most of the infrastructure for a "D&D" town pretty much running on a gp economy.
Sure, on the side I have my real life job, expenses and whatever. But that doesn't really interact much with the Pathfinder side of me. And vice versa. As much as I would love to have the rather wealthy side be paying my bills...

WBL doesn't seem to take into account what happens when the players sensibly reinvest the gold they are earning.

Troacctid
2023-05-02, 08:51 PM
That would appear to be a problem, since the entire character was built around this. Starting 3 years ago with just a starting characters gold piece allocation and several months of Craft skill use to earn more gp, I was able to, using the Pathfinder downtime building rules, create several businesses. The earnings from those businesses, in gold pieces, was fed back into buying more businesses. By the end of year 3 (this year) we have most of the infrastructure for a "D&D" town pretty much running on a gp economy.
Sure, on the side I have my real life job, expenses and whatever. But that doesn't really interact much with the Pathfinder side of me. And vice versa. As much as I would love to have the rather wealthy side be paying my bills...

WBL doesn't seem to take into account what happens when the players sensibly reinvest the gold they are earning.
I mean, you should be able to do all those things with real-world currency, right?

Seward
2023-05-02, 09:14 PM

Works for me. My witch-self doesn't need cash WBL for anything else, so the 210gp for retraining is well within budget I guess.

aglondier
2023-05-02, 09:28 PM
I mean, you should be able to do all those things with real-world currency, right?

Not sure I'm on the same page here. Using a pathfinder variant ruleset, that i specifically included for this character, to generate a gp income in a form where no gp/$ conversion occurs or is required. Hell, I even factored in the monthly expense for pathfinder lifestyle costs.
If we are imposing a d&d/pathfinder ruleset onto our real life selves, we may as well go the whole hog. Why not the gp economy layered on over the top, not interacting with our real life economy?
For characters who cannot generate and account for where their gp are coming from ("adventuring" obviously) WBL is effectively the GM gifting them that minimum amount. For characters with visible sources of gp income, what? Equitable distribution of assets? I can hire guards to protect my income against bandits...hell, I can hire bandits to take the income from other players (sorry guys).

Look, I'm the kind of player who upon entering a dungeon takes everything that isn't nailed down...and carries a prybar to get the things that are...I pay very close attention to the GMs descriptive text...

I just wanted to see how far the ruleset could take me. If you really don't want to go there, I'll drop it.

Troacctid
2023-05-03, 02:12 AM
Not sure I'm on the same page here. Using a pathfinder variant ruleset, that i specifically included for this character, to generate a gp income in a form where no gp/$ conversion occurs or is required. Hell, I even factored in the monthly expense for pathfinder lifestyle costs.
If we are imposing a d&d/pathfinder ruleset onto our real life selves, we may as well go the whole hog. Why not the gp economy layered on over the top, not interacting with our real life economy?
For characters who cannot generate and account for where their gp are coming from ("adventuring" obviously) WBL is effectively the GM gifting them that minimum amount. For characters with visible sources of gp income, what? Equitable distribution of assets? I can hire guards to protect my income against bandits...hell, I can hire bandits to take the income from other players (sorry guys).

Look, I'm the kind of player who upon entering a dungeon takes everything that isn't nailed down...and carries a prybar to get the things that are...I pay very close attention to the GMs descriptive text...

I just wanted to see how far the ruleset could take me. If you really don't want to go there, I'll drop it.
It's sounding like this is another case of "Pathfinder isn't my edition, so I can't answer rules questions about it." Especially variant Pathfinder rulesets. I definitely can't comment on those. But generally speaking, remember that all of the rules for earning a living are ultimately just abstractions that are meant to translate the "real" world of the game into simple, hard numbers that players and DMs can use. And as with most things, when you apply that layer of abstraction in order to simplify the process, you reduce the fidelity with which it describes the "real" actions it represents. The map is not the territory, as they say.

But, you know, whatever. Go ahead and keep doing what you're doing, if you want. In real life, you'd be using dollars (or whatever your local currency is) instead of gold pieces, but the end result would be basically the same. Skills let you earn money, money lets you invest in businesses, businesses make more money, more money means more investments, and on and on. It's just that the exact numbers would be a bit wibbly, that's all.

Fuzzy McCoy
2023-05-12, 12:02 PM
Another level of wizard, picking up Craft Wonderous Items for my fear, and making sure I meet the prerequisite for Unseen Seer

Firebug
2023-06-18, 12:23 AM
Adding a second level of Master Specialist to my 3.5 Conjurer Wizard!

1: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 1: Immediate Magic (PH2) (Enchantment, Evocation Banned)
Str: 9, Dex 10, Con 11, Wis 8, Int 13+2, Cha 12
1st feat: Extend Spell, Human: Variant +2 Int;
Concentration 4, Spellcraft 4, Knowledge(Arcana) 4, Craft(Jewelry) 4
Spellbook 0th:All(except enchantment/evocation)
Spellbook 1st: Mage Armor, Comprehend Language, Fist of Stone, Shield, Unseen Servant, Endure Elements

2: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 2
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry)
Spellbook 1st: Low-light Vision, Disguise Self

3: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 3
3rd feat: Craft Wondrous Item -> Retrained to -> Spell Focus(Conjuration)
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry)
Spellbook 2nd: Cloud of Knives, Invisibility

4: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 4
4th ability increase: +1 Int
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry), Knowledge(The Planes)
Spellbook 2nd: Glitterdust, Cloud of Bewilderment

5: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
Bonus feat: Craft Wand
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry), Knowledge(The Planes)
Spellbook 3rd: Icelance, Haste

6: Master Specialist(Conjuration) 1 / Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
6th feat: Dimensional Reach
Bonus Feat: Skill Focus(Spellcraft)
Spellbook 3rd: Regal Procession, Shrink Item
7: Master Specialist(Conjuration) 2 /Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
Class Feature: Expanded Spellbook
Spellbook 4th: Stone Shape, Black Tentacles, Minor Creation

bekeleven
2023-06-20, 05:26 PM
I'm looking to enchant some mundane equipment that was made by somebody with the Artisan Craftsman (Dr358) feat. Will I be able to find such a person in our world?

Troacctid
2023-06-20, 07:11 PM
I'm looking to enchant some mundane equipment that was made by somebody with the Artisan Craftsman (Dr358) feat. Will I be able to find such a person in our world?
Good question. I'm not tracking everyone's exact builds in the spreadsheet, just class and level, so I don't know. I imagine probably not; I don't think of the feat as being especially good or popular.

bekeleven
2023-06-20, 10:39 PM
I was mostly wondering if I would be able to find somebody not on the forums who does stuff like make Lightweight or Ornate masterwork armor. (One could argue that it's silly you need a feat for those, but you do so here we are)

Also, by "armor" I mean Silk, Soft Leather, or Silk Swath armor, all of which could be made to look like clothing I wear.

Maat Mons
2023-06-20, 11:34 PM
Since you've mentioned that gp strictly follows wealth-by-level, and there's no way to get more, does that mean there will be no meaningful trade between characters? I had been imagining I could take Craft Wonderous Item, and accept commissions from other characters. But if I'm completely incapable of accepting gp as payment, I can't really see any reason to bother.

Troacctid
2023-06-21, 02:17 AM
I was mostly wondering if I would be able to find somebody not on the forums who does stuff like make Lightweight or Ornate masterwork armor. (One could argue that it's silly you need a feat for those, but you do so here we are)

Also, by "armor" I mean Silk, Soft Leather, or Silk Swath armor, all of which could be made to look like clothing I wear.
Per the FAQ, no one else has any feats.

Since you've mentioned that gp strictly follows wealth-by-level, and there's no way to get more, does that mean there will be no meaningful trade between characters? I had been imagining I could take Craft Wonderous Item, and accept commissions from other characters. But if I'm completely incapable of accepting gp as payment, I can't really see any reason to bother.
So, what you would presumably do is stipulate that your client provides the raw materials—i.e. the gp cost for crafting—and then you'd receive the payment for your labor in the form of real-world currency, or I suppose barter, if that's more your speed. One would imagine that alliances and favors owed between individuals with class levels ought to have some value as well, right?

Seward
2023-06-21, 03:31 PM
One would imagine that alliances and favors owed between individuals with class levels ought to have some value as well, right?

In most fiction I've read involving supernatural powers (or super powers) in a contemporary setting, the currency of choice is favors. One dude can heal, another can teleport, one can craft a magic/supertech item. Crafters tend to accumulate tons of useful favors, and thus their loved ones tend not to die of cancer nor do they have trouble doing quick travel or anything else they might need, assuming they can call in the favor in a timely manner and the person who gave it is available and not a welcher (failing to pay favors without a good reason cuts you out of the favor economy which tends to suck long term)

Money is something newbies need until they get established, and it isn't uncommon for a promising newbie to get a head start on that front by somebody in exchange for a future favor. "Interesting. You are working toward the ability to help a desert bloom. How about I just give you a million dollars so you don't lose 10 years on that doing a mundane crafting scheme...."

Awakeninfinity
2023-06-21, 08:14 PM
I will be taking my second level of stalwart Battle Sorcerer.

Vizzerdrix
2023-06-24, 01:00 AM

I mean, I might be able to swap in the feat for a few days if you are willing to enchant a mankini for me or something. Maybe some pants? I can be bought for magic pants.