PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [3rd Party] Vitalist Collective Healing

Val666
2023-01-04, 05:58 PM
When a Vitalist redirects healing through its collective, does that redirected healing count as coming from its original source or does the "source" of this healing becomes the Vitalist? For example; if a Rajah has Radiant Sunlight and heals himself over max hp, then the Vitalist redirects that healing to another ally that is also max hp, would that ally gain temp hp due to Radiant Sunlight, or would the healing go to waste? In this specific scenario, Radiant Sunlight says *Whenever YOU restore hit points to an ally*, hence the question of who would count as the healing source.

Cortillaen
2023-01-04, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if there is a hard answer for this, but I'm inclined to think the Vitalist becomes the source for any healing transferred through his collective. This is at least somewhat supported by this line in Vitalist's Collective Healing:

The type of healing (positive energy, negative energy, construct repair, etc.) is unchanged from the original source for determining who or what can be healed.

The use of "original" there suggests a new source has replaced a prior one, the new source being the Vitalist and his Collective Healing feature. It's vague enough I imagine it will just be down to GM discretion, though, and allowing Radiant Sunlight to apply through Collective Healing is unlikely to be a big deal. If you've got a Vitalist around, HP damage stops being much of a concern after a while. Plus, most of the healing effects in the Radiant Dawn discipline can be spread around within a modest area on their own without going through the collective at all.

Fouredged Sword
2023-01-05, 08:57 AM
This does not work but the source of the healing does not matter.

Collective healing specifies

Whenever a willing member of the vitalist’s collective could regain lost hit points or ability damage, the vitalist may choose to redirect any or all of that healing to one or more other willing members of the collective as a free action.

Radiant sunlight's temp HP effect cannot function on someone who could regain lost HP, as it only triggers when healing exceeds the target's maximum HP. A vitalist cannot actually transfer healing from someone at full HP to anyone else. The person who's healing is being transferred must have some HP that they could regain if healed. These two abilities are simple incompatible.

Val666
2023-01-05, 09:25 AM
This does not work but the source of the healing does not matter.

Collective healing specifies

Radiant sunlight's temp HP effect cannot function on someone who could regain lost HP, as it only triggers when healing exceeds the target's maximum HP. A vitalist cannot actually transfer healing from someone at full HP to anyone else. The person who's healing is being transferred must have some HP that they could regain if healed. These two abilities are simple incompatible.

But..last paragraph of Collective Healing says

A vitalist may even heal wounds through collective healing if at full health. This may only be used with healing effects such as potions, powers, or other such effects. [Healing] from long term care or natural healing cannot be transferred in this way.

So...

Val666
2023-01-05, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure if there is a hard answer for this, but I'm inclined to think the Vitalist becomes the source for any healing transferred through his collective. This is at least somewhat supported by this line in Vitalist's Collective Healing:

The use of "original" there suggests a new source has replaced a prior one, the new source being the Vitalist and his Collective Healing feature. It's vague enough I imagine it will just be down to GM discretion, though, and allowing Radiant Sunlight to apply through Collective Healing is unlikely to be a big deal. If you've got a Vitalist around, HP damage stops being much of a concern after a while. Plus, most of the healing effects in the Radiant Dawn discipline can be spread around within a modest area on their own without going through the collective at all.

Makes sense to me, thanks for the reply!