PDA

View Full Version : Best Abyssal Heritor & Devil-Touched Feats?

Vrock Bait
2023-01-04, 10:06 PM
Was flipping through the Fiendish Codexes and their web enhancements, when I realized, wait, isn’t it technically possible to build a 100% fiendish character? Just go hellbred warlock into demonbinder and take.. oh yeah, aren’t there two different Combat Focus-sized feat trees for fiends? Those might be interesting to explore.

To my horror and disappointment, nobody online seems to agree with this assessment, given the approximately one (1) Giantitp about either of these trees which doesn’t involve Dark Chaos Shuffle cheese.

So, ignoring that cheese for a moment, what are the best abyssal heritor and devil touched feats? Given Ordered Chaos, any cool synergies? Maybe some prestige class fiddling? Or are they really as mediocre as the attention historically devoted towards them seems to suggest? Give all your hellfire-hot takes here!

pabelfly
2023-01-05, 01:52 AM
I really like Abyssal Heritor, and my next character will have the feats for their build.

Chaotic Spell Recall is the obvious winner - getting to recast any chaos spell is great, and gets better if you have a way to make all your spells chaos spells (I actually made a thread for this reason about a week ago, see https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?652648-Is-there-any-way-to-add-a-quot-Chaos-quot-descriptor-to-a-spell) and you take a bunch of Abyssal Inheritor feats to get more uses out of it.

Two builds I'd like to try with this feat line. First is a Wizard with Aligned Spellcaster (Dragon Magazine). Feats are Chaotic Spell Recall, Demonic Skin, Eyes of the Abyss, Precognitive Vision, Cloak of the Obyrith, and Otherworldly Countenance (Intimidate). Chaotic Spell Recall would make up for how Wizard has limited prepared spells to choose from, and the other assorted bonuses are appreciated too. Finding a way to add chaos domain to the Wizard would also boost my caster level and damage output

Second is a Swordsage build with Vestigal Wings, Demonic Skin, Precognitive Vision, Claws of the Beast and Poison Talons, and Otherworldly Countenance. Swordsage can work pretty decently with minimal feat support and the huge jump bonus would make Tiger Claw manoeuvres really easy, I can do STR damage to one enemy every hour, and the other bonuses would be nice too.

pabelfly
2023-01-27, 07:17 PM
So I had the chance to play a Sorcerer with a bunch of Abyssal Heritor feats, and it was actually really good for a Level 6 game. Thought I'd leave a few notes.

I also played with a heavy armor build - I arguably should have waited for a Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor, since the build can cast in light armor for free, but that would have reduced my AC as I am now. But I digress.

Build
Fighter 1/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1

ACFs:
Armored Fighter: halved ASF for my armor, boosted max dex bonus for my heavy armor from +1 to +2, and treated my heavy armor as medium armor. Dragon Magazine stuff, but that's fine for my table.
Battle Sorcerer, Stalwart Sorcerer. This gave Sorcerer HP at D8 + 2 + CON each level, which helps when we're using touch attack spells. Intimidate as a class skill, CHA as my best stat, and a +5 to Intimidate was also a pretty nice bonus.
Less spells per level, but Chaotic Spell Recall and Arcane Preparation fixed that.
Aligned Spellcaster - this made all my spells Chaos spells, which I wanted for Chaotic Spell Recall. From Dragon Magazine

Feats:
1: Arcane Preparation - need this for Chaotic Spell recall (Chaotic Spell recall only works on prepared feats)
Human: Chaotic Spell Recall - recall chaotic spells (3/day)
Flaw: Demonic Skin - +3 Natural AC
Flaw: Cloak of the Obyrith - +5 DR/Law
3: Precognitive Visions - +1 Insight to Initiative, +1 Insight to AC
6: Otherworldly Countenance - +5 Intimidate

+4 AC, +5 DR/Law, and the equivalent of D12 hit dice are pretty solid defences at level 6, which makes touch attack Sorcerer pretty viable. Damage was a bit lower than a Mailman who might be getting reduced metamagic or boosting caster levels to boost damage, but getting to wade into melee and use Combust while tanking melee attacks was pretty cool.

Most relevant spells
3rd (Level 7) - Shivering Touch (3d6 dex damage)
2nd - Combust (5d8 fire damage)
1st - Shocking Grasp (5d6 electric damage)