PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360, PS3, Wii etc

coron
2007-12-02, 03:49 PM
I have been given the task of finding out what gaming system would be best for my family and input would be nice. I would not like links to info please I can do that on my own, but links to other discussions would be nice. Any input would be nice.
In my family we have 6 people
Myself age 15: enjoy sport games, shooter games, dancing,singing, music,rpg's overall not to pick about games, play drums
little sister age 10: enjoys sports, singing, dancing, horses, music, little kid games cute animals
Older brother age 20 ( does not live at home but still would play): enjoys rpgs, shooters, sports music,play guitar
Older sister age 18 (again not living at home, same as brother, probably wouldn't play as much): enjoys horses, music, dancing, singing
Parents: enjoy music, singing, dancing play guitar like "happy" games sports

My family loves music, we like playing games together, we watch a lot of dvd's and frequently go to blockbuster, I can add more information if needed. Specific games that would be good for each of us, and all of us, (including system) would also be useful information.

Thank you in advanced for your input.

SDF
2007-12-02, 03:52 PM
I have(or rather my brother does) a Wii and its pretty great, but the 360 definitely has the best game library out right now. LOTS of great games running the gambit on genres.

If you like music Rockband is insanely fun for groups of people, and you can even play drums. :P Of course playing the real instrument is nothing like that, but still.

Leper_Kahn
2007-12-02, 03:57 PM
I'd go with the 360. It's a good system and has a wide variety of games. There are good games, but you have to do a little research to make sure the one you are interested in is a good game.

I really really dislike the PS3. It's expensive, not a great system, and very few good games are on it.

The Wii is a good system with good games. I'd say it is the best, but there isn't that much variety. I don't think Nintendo is exclusively for younger people, but at the moment the games do cater to that age group.

coron
2007-12-02, 04:02 PM
I was thinking the PS3 for the blu ray player, Rockband, assasins creed playstation's good variety of sports games, ddr, karaoke revolution, and kingdom hearts, any more arguments?

Icewalker
2007-12-02, 07:10 PM
Well, to please everyone I'd say Wii. From my knowledge and what you put down, your sister and parents wouldn't get much out of a 360, but Wii, while a seemingly childish system, has and will have excellent shooter games. Also it is most likely your best bet towards little kid games and, I think, sports games. Of course, I've never liked most sports so I've never even played the serious sports games like Madden and such.

MMad
2007-12-02, 07:28 PM
The 360 is probably the best bet for everyone except possibly your parents. The game library on the 360 is superior by far, and it's all about the games in the end, isn't it?

The Wii tend to be easier to "get" for adults who haven't touched a console before, so your parents might prefer that, depending on their tastes and experience. There's honestly not a great deal of games on there yet though, at least compared to the 360.

The PS3 is a joke right now. Cool hardware, very, very few games worth your while.

You shouldn't forget the good ol' PS2, though. It has an impressive library of music games (and pretty much all other genres as well) and it's dirt cheap nowadays. You will not get more game for your money anywhere else.

My advice would be to get a 360 AND a PS2, if that's at all economically feasible.

Micate
2007-12-02, 07:47 PM
Well, currently, the PS3 is losing the "console war" pretty horribly. It has very few good games that aren't also available on the 360 (and the Wii, but the Wii's controls can be quite different), and otherwise just doesn't justify its price. That said, the PS3 does have some real potential, and in the coming years should produce some great games; it's really all whether they will be released on the 360 or not that will decide if it's worth it.

In the past, Playstation has had the best single-player games, Xbox the best multiplayer games, and Nintendo a surprisingly good mix of the two.

My recommendation? I'd say go for a Wii. But I can't think of any good reason other than the nifty control options the Wiimote/Nunchuck offer (Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was amazing, totally worth buying again even though I already owned it on the Gamecube).

Ranis
2007-12-02, 08:52 PM
Get yourself a 360. It will be able to encompass everyone's needs without branching into waggling a little stick around in the air and calling it gaming. Get Rock Band on the 360, and your family can all jam it up together; you can play drums, the women can sing, and your brother can hit the guitar.

Sports games are crap and get whored out to all consoles and they're all exactly the same, so they're not a factor here.

The Wii is an overglorified karaoke/party machine; if that's what you're looking for, go for it-if you're looking to do more serious gaming, then get a 360. Especially because if you're going to get the Rock Band/Guitar Hero thing, there is more downloadable content (songs) for them over XBL marketplace to add more fun to your experience.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-12-02, 09:05 PM
Get a 360.
Get Rock Band.

If it doesn't put you completely in debt, it will be the most fun you've all ever had.

Setra
2007-12-02, 09:34 PM
Spend the money upgrading your PC *runs from tomatoes*

Seriously though, the 360 has the best games out right now in my opinion, though the PS3 does share most of the good games.

Though the PS3 has potential, as of now the 360 is a sure thing.

The Wii has more games you can play with your family though, and it DOES have Guitar HEro 3 if nothing else.

If you're looking for 'Family' go for the Wii. If you want the fun all to one person, get... anything else.

Sure while the 360 has multiplayer games, most are only really any good multiplayer on Xbox Live, which discludes your family.

Rogue 7
2007-12-02, 09:51 PM
The Wii has a large amount of great games (and, unfortunately, a large amount of absolutely *****y ones based off of reviews, but we ignore those). Multiplayer, family-wise, you have Warioware (hilariously fun), Mario Party, Guitar Hero's out for it(I know everyone recommends Rock Band, but Guitar Hero's still a fantastic game), Wii Sports, with the plus that that comes with the system, and several other gems. For single player, I can't recommend Twilight Princess enough, and have heard great things about Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy. I hate sports games, so I have no idea how they work on the Wii. I think that there's a DDR out for Wii, but I don't know how good it is. Only downside is that there are few good RPGs for the Wii (though for Gamecube, which the Wii is fully compatible with, Tales of Symphonia, one of my all-time favorite games, will give you 60+ hours of play, and I think there might be a few others out there). Virtual console gives you access to good classic multiplayer games like Mario Kart. It lacks the number of FPS that the 360's got, but Metroid Prime 3 and Call of Duty 3 (which I found to be pretty good) should satisfy, though COD 3 lacks multiplayer.

The 360 will deliver more games, with better graphics, but they tend to run towards the FPS side of things. Oblivion's supposedly a good RPG, but I've got no idea about it. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are good, and I do love some of the FPS they have (Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 are fantastic). Haven't played it as much so I don't know, but I like it.

PS3- there's nothing to say here- it doesn't do anything the 360 doesn't already do, only with fewer exclusives, and poorer ones at that, and a higher cost.

Raistlin1040
2007-12-02, 10:17 PM
Xbox 360. It has a lot of good games that are also on the PS3 (Rock Band, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3) and some good exclusives (Halo 3, Dead Rising). The Wii is good, but it's a bit cutesy for me. Too many kiddy games and stuff (Not bashing the Wii, just telling the truth.) I own a 360 and a Wii, but my 360 gets like 90& of my attention.

Shadic
2007-12-02, 10:19 PM
The Wii is an overglorified karaoke/party machine

Get Rock Band on the 360, and your family can all jam it up together; you can play drums, the women can sing, and your brother can hit the guitar.

Anybody else catch the irony here?

Jack Squat
2007-12-02, 11:25 PM
Get the original NES, and I don't mean the toploader version.

I wish I still had mine...

No seriously though, I'd look at either the Wii or 360 depending on how much you are willing to spend and which games catch your fancy.

Rogue 7
2007-12-03, 03:15 AM
You know, just as a side note here- my uncle works for Sony right now, on the Playstation 3. Last time he was over, we got into a fairly heated debate about why I didn't like the system. I guess the main thing that I did wrong was that I really didn't articulate the conventional wisdom I see here and just about everywhere about the PS3- that it's overpriced with few good games. I hope for his sake that the PS3 does better (and that's the only reason- I'm too much of a Nintendo fanboy to think otherwise), but I have yet to see very many people come out to defend it.

Micate
2007-12-03, 03:22 AM
After paying a bit more attention to what I'm playing, I realize why I like the Wii. It's no so much for the Wii games, as it is for the Virtual Console games. I must spend a majority of my console gaming playing old school awesomeness, and the VC is perfect for that. The fact you simply download the games, and don't have to keep track of cartridges/etc is simply a plus.

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-03, 04:44 AM
Something that I like, at least in concept, about the Wii (it's important to note that I don't own anything newer than the PS2) is that it has a number of games that are fun to play that (and I know this will scare some of you) get you up off the couch to play them. I know it's not the same as going out and playing real tennis or bowling or whatever, but anything is better than the amibdextrous thumb wrestling that console gaming tends to be.

Don't get me wrong. I spend an unhealthy amount of time interacting with my playstation and N64. I just think it's a good idea to erode some of the sedentary lifestyle that console gaming has created, if only just a little bit. I'm considering getting myself one for Xmas just for this reason.

Am I way off base in this perception?

ForzaFiori
2007-12-03, 05:57 AM
I would go with a 360. Currently it has the most variety of games. You can pick up any sport game you want (they come out on everything), rockband so that you can get your drumming in and your bro can do his thing on guitar, there are way to many shooters to name (Halo 3 and Gears of War, COD 3, etc), It has Elderscrolls, quite possibly THE BEST RPG ever (which is exclusive to microsoft, so you need a 360 or a good comp to play it) not to mention that x-box live has a lot of downloadable content for all these games, which makes them all better. and then when your families not there, hop back on x-box live and play other people.

YPU
2007-12-03, 06:13 AM
we like playing games together

I think in this case the wii would be your best choice, you should make sure to get a full four set of controllers. Even the most basic games such as wii sports is loads of fun when played with multiple people at once. Other humor oriented games such as raymans raving rabbits also wont fall out of favor fast and will entertain an entire family for quite a while. I would say that if your looking for a shared console for the entire family the wii would be the best by far.

Charity
2007-12-03, 06:59 AM
Wii gets my vote, especially if there are any non gamers who'll be having a go, there is no easier interface.

Ranis
2007-12-03, 07:00 AM
Anybody else catch the irony here?

No, there's really no irony there because Rock Band is multiplatform; you simply get more out of it if you go for the 360 version over any other. And the Wii is an overglorified party machine. It sells so well because people who don't play games buy them for when they have friends over to have something to do with them. It's the one thing the Wii does well-local multiplayer.

The 360, on the other hand, will satisfy everyone's needs while allowing you to get more out of your experience. So you'll lose the ability to go choose a game at random from Blockbuster and play it with the whole family, the system has titles to satisfy everyone's gaming wants: the women(and some of the men) will love Viva Pinata, your brother can get his shooters, you can get your RPG's(Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, [soon]Lost Oddysey), and everything can fall into line.

I do say, that whatever system you do get, get it at Gamestop and get the Gameplay Guarantee so that if anything is wrong with the system, they will replace it no-questions-asked as long as you have your receipt. My buddy's had three Wiis crap out on him and it's an overall wise decision whenever you purchase a console. No other retailer has that deal.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 10:09 AM
I was thinking the PS3 for the blu ray player, Rockband, assasins creed playstation's good variety of sports games, ddr, karaoke revolution, and kingdom hearts, any more arguments?

That sounds about right. Except also add in Killzone 2, Warhawk, and Resistance since you and your brother like shooters. Add in Guitar Hero 3 since all of you seem to like music. Also add in free online, just because free online is awesome.

Also, you can get your sister LittleBigPlanet, since that game is ridiculously cute. I swear, that thing pukes sugar and craps rainbows.

EDIT: I just read someone say that Elder Scrolls is exclusive to Microsoft.

Allow me to ask you: How the hell have I been playing Oblivion on my PS3?

Drascin
2007-12-03, 11:35 AM
The 360, on the other hand, will satisfy everyone's needs while allowing you to get more out of your experience. So you'll lose the ability to go choose a game at random from Blockbuster and play it with the whole family, the system has titles to satisfy everyone's gaming wants: the women(and some of the men) will love Viva Pinata, your brother can get his shooters, you can get your RPG's(Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, [soon]Lost Oddysey), and everything can fall into line.

I dunno, man. I personally dislike most shooters and sports games, so I have always kinda felt 360 didn't have much to offer me in the way of exclusives, other than Eternal Sonata (which, I concede, looks awesome) and maybe Viva Piņata. Could you make some recommendations, then? I might be able to get it for Christmas (and since Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii are not due until next year, my extra 150$ could go towards 360 games).

And please, could you, for the sake of my sanity, stop putting Oblivion next to good games like Eternal Sonata or Mass Effect? It hurts me :smallfrown:

Also, you can get your sister LittleBigPlanet, since that game is ridiculously cute. I swear, that thing pukes sugar and craps rainbows.

I'd advocate running it through her first before actually getting it - my own little sister thinks it's very ugly, and so does my mother, who has a big soft spot for "cute", so YMMV :smalltongue: .

Ranis
2007-12-03, 12:47 PM
I dunno, man. I personally dislike most shooters and sports games, so I have always kinda felt 360 didn't have much to offer me in the way of exclusives, other than Eternal Sonata (which, I concede, looks awesome) and maybe Viva Piņata. Could you make some recommendations, then? I might be able to get it for Christmas (and since Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii are not due until next year, my extra 150$ could go towards 360 games).

Recommendations for games on the 360 other than what was just listed?

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements
Phantasy Star Universe(has a great single player game and can be played as an MMO)
Enchanted Arms(it's very, very hard though)
Fable 2 (which is TBA)
Banjo Kazooie (also TBA)
Devil May Cry 4 (also also TBA)
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
Overlord
The Darkness (this game was excellent)
Beautiful Katamari (:smallbiggrin: )
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
Too Human (TBA, looks AWESOME)
Crackdown

So yeah. Those are just ones that I've tried/bought and liked very much, I'm sure there will be more that you will like that I don't.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 02:02 PM

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements
Fable 2 (which is TBA)
Banjo Kazooie (also TBA)
Beautiful Katamari (:smallbiggrin: )
Too Human (TBA, looks AWESOME)
Crackdown
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Halo Wars
Blue Dragon

So yeah. Those are just ones that I've tried/bought and liked very much, I'm sure there will be more that you will like that I don't.

Cut that down to exclusives, since half of those are on the PS3 or PC as well. I did go ahead and add in Halo 3, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, and Blue Dragon though.

Here's a few good PS3 exclusives that are already out.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Eye of Judgement
Folklore

Here are a few that have dates on them but aren't out yet:

Killzone 2
MGS4/ MGS Online
White Knight Story
Final Fantasy XIII (Two of them)
LittleBigPlanet
Home (I'm counting it as a game, you don't have to if you don't want to)
Infamous
Gran Turismo 5

Here are a few TBA ones:
God of War 3
Disgaea 3
Probably another Kingdom Hearts
Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles
Resistance 2

And there're more, but I don't feel like looking them up.

Jibar
2007-12-03, 02:21 PM
Look, you've got your two choices, 360 and Wii.
The PS3 is overpriced with so few good exclusive games it's enough to make one cry (with laughter every single time I see them either unsold or preowned, which is a lot), so you can ignore it.

The Wii will provide you with pure unabashed fun for all the family. Seriously. It's something you can easily get into, waste a few hours all together, and then go about your buisness as normal.
When we first got our Wii, it was the first time my mother had picked up a game since Animal Crossing, and the first time my sister had since Dead or Alive 2 (that... she's weird like that).
The next few weeks were spent together around the console, playing Wii Bowling together, testing Tennis skills. Twilight Princess went by almost ignored in favour of Wii Sports.

The 360 is better if your family already plays video games, and from the sound of things it would be almost exclusively shared between you and your brother. Viva Pinata ought to be able to drag out others, but really it does not have the games for non-gamers.
You'll get a real kick out of it, of course, and your brother will as well, considering you both like sport games and FPSs, and you'll find a couple RPGs that will really please you.
But if you go with the 360, don't be surprised if your family don't play much. I've got quite the benefit with a dad who'll play a lot of things, a mother open to it, and a sister who will obliterate you at beat 'em ups because she is a button mashing little... when I buy games I don't have to consider my family in the matter, because even if they don't play, they'll watch. If your family are intent on joining you in gaming your library is going to be pretty restricted.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-03, 02:26 PM
Me, I prefer the PC to any of those, but I'm guessing that that isn't really an option. Can't really offer any opinions on any of them, since I've really only played the Wii once, and never played the PS3 or Xbox 360 myself. That said, I think this may help (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1383-Zero-Punctuation-Console-Rundown).

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 02:27 PM
Look, you've got your two choices, 360 and Wii.
The PS3 is overpriced with so few good exclusive games it's enough to make one cry (with laughter every single time I see them either unsold or preowned, which is a lot), so you can ignore it.

*List*

Jibar
2007-12-03, 02:39 PM

As I have stated on many... many other threads.

"Well let's see for good PS3 exclusives... you've got... uh... Ratchet and Clank. And... uhh... Ratchet and Clank."

Eye of Judgement requires a level of dedication only Magic: The Gathering fans are really going to be able to tap.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a remake... of a remake in a way.
Folklore and Warhawk are both completely alien to me.
Heavenly Swords is nowhere near as good as people hoped it would be, and even without the hype it serves as a blue-ray God of War.
I'm willing to give you Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, as it's one that has interested me, and have only just found out it is actually an exclusive.
Resistance is... well, it's an FPS, and I'm one of those who believes that the shooter needs a serious rehaul, and needs it quickly before they all begin to suffer.
Upcoming games are not enough to really justify a console. I know I bought my 360 so I could pick up BioShock and Assassin's Creed, but I was also well aware they were on other consoles, and had other games that drew me to it.
Besides, we've just mentioned a bunch of PS3 exclusives, so it's lost even more. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 02:48 PM
As I have stated on many... many other threads.

"Well let's see for good PS3 exclusives... you've got... uh... Ratchet and Clank. And... uhh... Ratchet and Clank."

Eye of Judgement requires a level of dedication only Magic: The Gathering fans are really going to be able to tap.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a remake... of a remake in a way.
Folklore and Warhawk are both completely alien to me.
Heavenly Swords is nowhere near as good as people hoped it would be, and even without the hype it serves as a blue-ray God of War.
I'm willing to give you Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, as it's one that has interested me, and have only just found out it is actually an exclusive.
Resistance is... well, it's an FPS, and I'm one of those who believes that the shooter needs a serious rehaul, and needs it quickly before they all begin to suffer.
Upcoming games are not enough to really justify a console. I know I bought my 360 so I could pick up BioShock and Assassin's Creed, but I was also well aware they were on other consoles, and had other games that drew me to it.
Besides, we've just mentioned a bunch of PS3 exclusives, so it's lost even more. :smallbiggrin:

1: Just because Heavenly Sword isn't as good as it was hyped up to be doesn't mean it's a bad game.

2: And if we're ruling out shooters, we might as well rule out most of the 360's exclusives. Like... HALO?

3: I'll give you Ninja Gaiden Sigma. You're right on that one.

4: How can you judge Folklore and Warhawk yet, having no experience with them at all? I'll admit that I've only played the demo on Folklore, but that was enough to sell me on the game. I do, however, have Warhawk, and though I haven't played it much yet, it's a pretty good game.

5: Most "360 Exclusives" can also be bought for the PC. So you might as well just upgrade to Vista and buy a good graphics card, instead of buying a 360 and constantly having to worry about the RRoD.

EDIT: And about Eye of Judgement, how does it taking a little dedication make it a bad game? And let me assure you, it doesn't do it as much as Magic does. I've probably spent $500 on Magic cards. I doubt I'd ever spend that much on Eye of Judgement ones, especially since there's such a smaller pool of cards to collect.

Driderman
2007-12-03, 02:57 PM
A vote for the Wii, or possibly the Xbox 360 here, courtesy of Gamestop Denmark :smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
2007-12-03, 02:59 PM
Wii is a superior choice for family gaming console. For single player gaming, XBoX360... will overheat, red ring, and leave you cold.

If your buddy lost three Wii's, I'd love to know what he was doing to them.

Da Beast
2007-12-03, 03:11 PM
1: Just because Heavenly Sword isn't as good as it was hyped up to be doesn't mean it's a bad game.

No but the fact that it's only worth renting rather than owning means it's not a good reason to buy the PS3

2: And if we're ruling out shooters, we might as well rule out most of the 360's exclusives. Like... HALO?

How about we instead just rule out the mediocre ones like resistance?

EDIT: And about Eye of Judgement, how does it taking a little dedication make it a bad game? And let me assure you, it doesn't do it as much as Magic does. I've probably spent $500 on Magic cards. I doubt I'd ever spend that much on Eye of Judgement ones, especially since there's such a smaller pool of cards to collect.

Because you're unlikely to get much use out of a multiplayer game that most people aren't willing to invest the time and money in.

Krytha
2007-12-03, 03:12 PM
I find it strange how many people are advocating the Xbox 360 but only listing games which will appeal to about 2 people in this guy's family. I'm assuming he also listed his parents and his sisters for a reason as opposed to just saying "I want a new console for myself and this is what I like". That's right, he's been tasked with finding a console for the WHOLE family and thus, there is only one console I can recommend (the only FAMILY console there is) - which is the Wii.

Everyone is ragging on it as having no games. Well, they also have been living under a rock for the past year. I guarantee you there will be something for everyone on store shelves and only more to come (since Wii sales are skyrocketing which attracts more 3rd party developers which increases sales which... etc. etc.). The only disadvantage here is how hard it will be for you to get your hands on one.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 03:24 PM
No but the fact that it's only worth renting rather than owning means it's not a good reason to buy the PS3

No game is worth getting a console entirely for one game. But it wasn't just that one game, there were other games with it. Like Uncharted.

How about we instead just rule out the mediocre ones like resistance?

How is Resistance mediocre? From what I've seen, it's gotten some pretty excellent reviews, and everyone I've met who's actually played it liked it.

Because you're unlikely to get much use out of a multiplayer game that most people aren't willing to invest the time and money in.

There are plenty of people willing to invest the time/money in it. Just like there are plenty of people willing to invest the time/money in Magic. And it can be said that EoJ is actually BETTER than Magic, since you'll always be able to find someone to play with online.

Krytha
2007-12-03, 03:30 PM
No game is worth getting a console entirely for one game. But it wasn't just that one game, there were other games with it. Like Uncharted. According to you. There are tons of people who buy consoles based on ONE game from their favourite franchise. SSBB, SMG are examples.

There are plenty of people willing to invest the time/money in it. Just like there are plenty of people willing to invest the time/money in Magic. And it can be said that EoJ is actually BETTER than Magic, since you'll always be able to find someone to play with online.
There may be people who are willing, but is that likely with this guy's entire family? And I guess you've never heard of magic online which has a FAR larger user base than anything EoJ can conjure up.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 03:42 PM
According to you. There are tons of people who buy consoles based on ONE game from their favourite franchise. SSBB, SMG are examples.

Oh, just because people do it doesn't mean they should. Personally I bought my Wii to get Corruption, Brawl, and at that point I thought I would like to play FPS's on it. Unfortunately, I haven't liked any FPS's on it, and haven't gotten Corruption yet because I'm afraid that it's going to be as horrible as every other game I've played on the system. Brawl is what's making me KEEP the system, not what made me buy it in the first place.

There may be people who are willing, but is that likely with this guy's entire family? And I guess you've never heard of magic online which has a FAR larger user base than anything EoJ can conjure up.

Oh god, MTGO. Please, never mention that wallet-raping monstrosity again. I hate it so much. I mean, I've already spent hundreds of dollars on real cards, do I have to spend that much on virtual ones now too? At least on EOJ, you only have to buy one set of cards.

Da Beast
2007-12-03, 03:56 PM
No game is worth getting a console entirely for one game. But it wasn't just that one game, there were other games with it. Like Uncharted.

Uncharted has the same problem as Heavenly Sword. Neither of them are very long or have much replay value. If you really want to play them then rent a PS3 with Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, blow a three day weekend, then go spend your money on a system with a decent library.

How is Resistance mediocre? From what I've seen, it's gotten some pretty excellent reviews, and everyone I've met who's actually played it liked it.

It's not bad, not great. Mediocre. Resistance was pretty good for a launch title but far from great.

I kind of doubt that. The thing about magic is it doesn't require a significant initial investment. For a few bucks you and a friend can both get functioning decks and play with each other. If you want to really get into the hobby and build a tournament worthy deck then you'll certainly be blowing a lot of money but it's still easy enough to play magic without much money. EoJ requires a PS3, the eye camera, and a starting deck; all in all about 600 dollars. Is it really safe to assume that enough people will buy into this to get a decent community going?

Woot Spitum
2007-12-03, 04:10 PM
If you want a console that is not focused on first-person shooters above all else, get the Wii. If all you want is first person shooters, don't blow your money on a next-gen console, upgrade your computer. Or simply sift through the bargain bin for things like UT2004, Outcast(Jedi Knight II), and the Quake collection.

Krytha
2007-12-03, 04:14 PM
Oh, just because people do it doesn't mean they should. Personally I bought my Wii to get Corruption, Brawl, and at that point I thought I would like to play FPS's on it. Unfortunately, I haven't liked any FPS's on it, and haven't gotten Corruption yet because I'm afraid that it's going to be as horrible as every other game I've played on the system. Brawl is what's making me KEEP the system, not what made me buy it in the first place.
Oh god, MTGO. Please, never mention that wallet-raping monstrosity again. I hate it so much. I mean, I've already spent hundreds of dollars on real cards, do I have to spend that much on virtual ones now too? At least on EOJ, you only have to buy one set of cards.

Once again, that's your opinion. Additionally, Corruption has been praised as having the tightest controls available for a console FPS and many reviewers have noted that the Wii's control scheme is the best adapted for future FPS productions. Being afraid something will suck doesn't literally make it bad. I'm afraid the PS3 library might not have any good games and I won't try any of them because they might be bad. ONOZ!

Actually EoJ requires you to buy zero cards because you can just scan them off the internet and they will work with the PS3. Doesn't that sound fun? Everyone and their dog running around with the best netdecks the intarwobs can provide! And how is that different from MTG? EoJ you CAN buy one set, but if you want to improve your deck, you need to buy boosters. MTG doesn't FORCE you to buy more cards, you can play forever with the same starter theme deck, but if you want to improve your deck you buy more cards. Theyre built on the same damn business model and guess who is doing the EoJ distribution? Who else - WOTC.

Drascin
2007-12-03, 04:33 PM

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Not really interesting

Assassin's Creed - Looks awesome. It's not an exclusive, but I'll end up with it whatever console I end up buying, or even on PC.

Bioshock - Have it on PC. Have to admit, the story was good enough to make me forget the shooty parts - which means, pretty good.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - Haven't even heard of it. Will search for more info.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements - I have Dark Messiah for PC and liked it, so more Dark Messiah is always good.

Phantasy Star Universe(has a great single player game and can be played as an MMO) - I was actually thinking of buying this for PC, since I had a great time with the three PSOs. I assume that, if I end up buying the 360, I'll buy it for console instead.

Enchanted Arms(it's very, very hard though) - Didn't know of it, looked for a video... okay, see, THIS is the kind of stuff I'm talking about! This looks AWESOME! And being hard is actually a plus, for the most part, until it reaches Ninja Gaiden or DMC3 levels of anoyingness :smallwink:

Fable 2 (which is TBA) - If it's anything like the first Fable, I'll want to kill it with fire, most likely.

Banjo Kazooie (also TBA) - Aaaand another critical hit. I loved the first two Banjo games. As a nintendoist, I am still more than a bit miffed at Microsoft for buying Rare, in fact :smalltongue:

Devil May Cry 4 (also also TBA) - Will have to try it. DMC 1 and 2 were pretty neat, but 3 drove me nuts two levels into it.

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - How has it improved from previous Dinasty Warriors?

Overlord - Have it on PC

The Darkness - From outside, it doesn't really look like so much. What makes it so special?

Beautiful Katamari (:smallbiggrin:) - Weird fun titles = Major Win.

Spider-Man: Friend or Foe - Never called my attention too much - superhero games tend to not be that good.

Too Human - Looks quite tempting indeed. The fact it uses norse mythology is a plus - I like norse mythos, they're fun.

Crackdown - Meh, dunno why, but doesn't excite me too much. The kind of game I wouldn't mind buying if I found it second hand, but not much else.

(replies inside quote)

I see... so, nothing completely "Ohmygodawesomegottagetitnow", but generally solid (though I own a fair bit of those on PC). Except maybe Enchanted Arms and that projected Banjo Kazooie game - God, do I miss those games since my N64 exploded. Which reminds me, I have to do something if you'll excuse me... *kneels and prays* "please don't let them screw up Banjo-Kazooie please don't let them screw up Banjo-Kazooie please don't let them screw up Banjo-Kazooie..."

There, done.

Still, I'm not sure it deserves the kind of inversion I'd have to make to get it, but you've certainly managed to improve my opinion on the system by a lot :smallsmile: .

Cut that down to exclusives, since half of those are on the PS3 or PC as well. I did go ahead and add in Halo 3, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, and Blue Dragon though.

Here's a few good PS3 exclusives that are already out.

I'm going to have to agree with Jibar here on most counts... what is already out for PS3 utterly fails to interest me for the most part. Still, I'll give my opinions on thses too - it's only fair. I'll obviate the quote this time if you don't mind.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Didn't know it, to be honest. What's it like?

Heavenly Sword - I have heard it's very good... for the whole four hours it lasts. No way I'm paying for it.

Warhawk - Not too interested.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Shooter. I think I already said something about my dislike for shooters, didn't I?

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction - Good one, certainly. Insomniac knows their stuff. I'd have to look at duration, though, because last one I played (Ratchet Gladiator) I beat in a weekend, and I'd have hated to have paid for it (good thing I rented it)

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Nor only a remake, but a remake of a series which I only half enjoy and whose creator I happen to dislike immensely. So not that attracting.

Eye of Judgement - Looks good, but as Brennus mentions, there's probably going to be a svere lack of players. Plus, space - my room is not exactly empty.

Folklore - You know, this one does look pretty good. The whole spirit thing makes me curious. I'd be more than willing to give it a try.

So, as you see, There's really nothing that makes me go "squee!" like Mario Galaxy or Enchanted Arms might.

Next group, the "Coming soon/ish":

Killzone 2 - See above.

MGS4/ MGS Online - Never found MGS too addicting. It's good, but not breaking.

White Knight Story - Looks good, but I really lack enough info to make an informed guess. So TBD, I guess.

Final Fantasy XIII (Two of them) - I am getting a bit disenchanted on usual FFs, to be honest. They seem to be losing a bit of touch. However, FF Versus XIII is a mighty card up the PS3's sleeve, given my like for action-rpgs.

LittleBigPlanet - I follow the growth of this one closely. It might be one of the most promising titles in the console, but it may also flop completely. I hope it's the former.

Home (I'm counting it as a game, you don't have to if you don't want to) - Nope.

Infamous - Well, the title may say it's infamous, but I certainly have never heard of it :smallbiggrin:

Gran Turismo 5 - Not interested.

And then, the games from a galaxy far, far away... (meaning, noone has the slightest idea when they'll appear) :smalltongue:

God of War 3 - You know, I keep wanting to try the GoW saga, but the excessive and unneccessary gore and brutality keeps putting me off...

Probably another Kingdom Hearts - ...and weakpoint hit for massive damage. As a complete KH nut, I have always been more or less resigned I'll have to end up buying a PS3 because of this. I still don't want to believe it, though.

Disgaea 3 - ...Two hit critical combo, destroyed and evaporated. In case my sig isn't enough to make it clear, I kinda sorta like Disgaea. As in, I might have around 1000 hours between the first two titles.

Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles - Looks rather... peculiar. A mix between battlefield and an RPG, plus cel-shading, kinda? I honestly don't know how to judge this one. But the idea is creative, so big points.

Resistance 2 - Again, shooter :smalltongue: .

You also forgot a very interesting little game - Echocrome. That one looks surreal and weird enough for anyone :smalltongue:

So the thing is... for now, Xbox is winning by a landslide for me, for the very simple fact of already having games that might last more than a day and a half. However, some of the projected games in PS3 look very enticing, maybe enough to consider a future buy.

Aaaanyway, back to the topic... for the needs of the OP, I'm with Krytha. Wii is probably your best bet. Corruption and future Resident Evils are good for FPSs, your little sister and parents will be awed by the sheer amount of family games in the catalogue, and has the same access as everyone else to music games such as guitar hero or Rock Band, with extra Donkey Kongas on the side. Other party games such as Mario Party or Mario Kart will make sure you always have something to play together, or even Final Fantasy Cristal Bearers if you like the teamwork idea (yes, I liked Crystal Cronichles. Anyone has anything to say to that? :smallannoyed:)

Plus, in a few months you get Super Smash Bros Brawl, which is a huge factor when we're talking local multiplayer - I have yet to find someone who dislikes the series. Hell, I'm training my own mother and sister on it (and my sis is 6 years old!) and they love it.

And I'm shutting up now, because this post is already far longer than it should :smallredface:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-03, 04:51 PM
I have been given the task of finding out what gaming system would be best for my family and input would be nice. I would not like links to info please I can do that on my own, but links to other discussions would be nice. Any input would be nice.
In my family we have 6 people
Myself age 15: enjoy sport games, shooter games, dancing,singing, music,rpg's overall not to pick about games, play drums
little sister age 10: enjoys sports, singing, dancing, horses, music, little kid games cute animals
Older brother age 20 ( does not live at home but still would play): enjoys rpgs, shooters, sports music,play guitar
Older sister age 18 (again not living at home, same as brother, probably wouldn't play as much): enjoys horses, music, dancing, singing
Parents: enjoy music, singing, dancing play guitar like "happy" games sports

My family loves music, we like playing games together, we watch a lot of dvd's and frequently go to blockbuster, I can add more information if needed. Specific games that would be good for each of us, and all of us, (including system) would also be useful information.

Thank you in advanced for your input.

(In no order:)

Wii- Hands down the best for your family, in genera; overall. Simple controls to pick up, and what it lacks in diversity of "good" games, Wii Sports makes up for. Only a few great games out there right now, but with Super Smash Bros Brawl coming out and Call of Duty and Guitar Hero III...

Xbox 360 - Only thing I can think of right now for the 360 is ROCK BAND!! which is a great game, but Rock Band, as with 95% of games wont entertain everybody forever

Playstation 3- A couple of really great games for it, and the graphics are great. Another thing is if you don't already have a Blue Ray player, the PS3 saves you money, and Blue Ray is going to be the future of Movies...

OVERALL (in order)

1.) Wii- Cant go wrong with it. Almost every game entertains for a good while, and the internet function is realllllly cool.

2.)Playstation 3- Blue Ray disc palyer would be a great help in movie watching, as soon as Nlockbuster starts getting A lot of blue rays.

3.) Xbox 360 - Rock Band is really the only game that the whole family might paly, save for sports games, which on the '360' are remarkabley good, but still is beat by Wii and PS3

Good luck!!:smallsmile:

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 09:18 PM
People, stop giving Rock Band to the 360. It's on the PS3 and PS2 as well.

EDIT:
Actually EoJ requires you to buy zero cards because you can just scan them off the internet and they will work with the PS3. Doesn't that sound fun? Everyone and their dog running around with the best netdecks the intarwobs can provide! And how is that different from MTG? EoJ you CAN buy one set, but if you want to improve your deck, you need to buy boosters. MTG doesn't FORCE you to buy more cards, you can play forever with the same starter theme deck, but if you want to improve your deck you buy more cards. Theyre built on the same damn business model and guess who is doing the EoJ distribution? Who else - WOTC.

EoJ requires solid cards. You can buy a pack for $4, and I'm pretty sure decks are around $10.

EDIT2: Also, EoJ comes with a starter deck. It's packaged in with the game and the Playstation Eye.

Mr._Blinky
2007-12-03, 10:02 PM
Wii is going to by far be best for your family. It just has the best selection of family oriented games out there. As a system, 360 is far and away my favorite, but as I said your whole family will get more enjoyment out of the Wii.

@Lord Shplane: Since we're talking about TBA games, on the topic of Ninja Gaiden: Sigma... PWND! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-IhxhW4T8)

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 10:09 PM
Wii is going to by far be best for your family. It just has the best selection of family oriented games out there. As a system, 360 is far and away my favorite, but as I said your whole family will get more enjoyment out of the Wii.

@Lord Shplane: Since we're talking about TBA games, on the topic of Ninja Gaiden: Sigma... PWND! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-IhxhW4T8)

Yah yah, NG2. It'll get a PS3 port. Just wait.

Krytha
2007-12-03, 10:15 PM
People, stop giving Rock Band to the 360. It's on the PS3 and PS2 as well.

EDIT:

EoJ requires solid cards. You can buy a pack for $4, and I'm pretty sure decks are around $10.

EDIT2: Also, EoJ comes with a starter deck. It's packaged in with the game and the Playstation Eye.

... No, you don't have to buy anything.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/oops/eye-of-judgment-cards-copyable-314899.php

Lord Shplane
2007-12-03, 10:53 PM
... No, you don't have to buy anything.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/oops/eye-of-judgment-cards-copyable-314899.php

Like he said at the bottom of the page, you can do it if you're a ****. It's also probably illegal. Really though, I expect them to fix it with a patch of some sort.

Ranis
2007-12-03, 11:06 PM
Dude, don't take out titles that I put on my list just because they're exclusives. They're still on the console, they're still fun, and the downloadable content over Xbox Live puts them a notch above the other two consoles for those reasons alone, so they still belong in the equasion. That's the major reason why Rock Band definitely goes to the 360-when the game was released, there were 3 song packs and 7 additional songs to add to it on launch day.

So a good number of the games for the 360 are also for PC-so what? I never have to worry about my console being good enough to run a game that comes out for it; whereas my PC, no matter when I buy it, is outdated the second I bring it home. Look at Crysis-I don't know a soul that can actually run it on maximum settings, and I bet only a very select handful can. It's getting to the point that PC-exclusive titles are coming out over-the-top in anticipation of the computer industry moving so fast, and that hurts the PC exclusivity intensely; another reason why Microsoft releasing many of their titles on PC with the 360 isn't a bad thing. Not everybody has a really really nice computer; I don't. But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the games any less or more than you can because of that difference.

------------------

Just because the 360 has Halo doesn't mean that it's a FPS-happy system. I know plenty of people that have 360's and hate FPS games; they aren't complaining about a lack of games that they do like, because there isn't a shortage one way or the other. Halo got the piss advertised out of it and I suppose Microsoft sort of set themselves up for the stereotype, but there are plenty of titles to satisfy any kind of gamer on any level.

So I can't wave my controller around all fancy-like when I play games; I say big deal. If that was what I wanted to do, I would have gotten a Wii when they came out. But personally, I really didn't want to waggle a stick around and call it gaming, and when the PS3 ripped off of that idea at the last minute and further subsequently dropped my respect for Sony for me, and I used to be a diehard Sony fanboy. Plus, Sony has simply forgotten what made them the kings of the last generation: quality of gameplay over graphics or power. They've gone the opposite direction nowadays, and I for one am content to sit around and wait for Sony to finally go bankrupt so I can get my hands on MGS4 for the 360. The day will come. Just you wait.

Setra
2007-12-04, 12:43 AM
So a good number of the games for the 360 are also for PC-so what? I never have to worry about my console being good enough to run a game that comes out for it; whereas my PC, no matter when I buy it, is outdated the second I bring it home. Look at Crysis-I don't know a soul that can actually run it on maximum settings, and I bet only a very select handful can.Off topic rant
1. Why the hecl does everyone seem to think that a PC is 'outdated' within a few minutes(yes I know people are exaggerating when they say minutes, but at best they mean 'months'). Sure in a few months it's not "the best" but a good PC can last for YEARS without being outdated. I would wager a top-end PC from five years ago could run Crysis on minimum.

2. You don't NEED to run a game on maximum graphics!! My PC, which cost about the same as a 360 Elite, can run pretty much every PC game, up to and including Crysis. Maybe not on maximum, but graphics are overrated anyways as it is.

Not to mention a large attraction of the PC, more backwards compatability than any other system, possibly excluding the Wii, especially if you include emulation, which I will not for this argument.

The consoles are NOT superior to the PC, however I will, despite my argument, say the PC is not superior to consoles either. It's opinion based and always will be, so stop acting like consoles are better.

Superglucose
2007-12-04, 01:27 AM
For the family: Wii. With MBM, Mario games, Mario Kart, the party games (some people like them), wii sports, wario ware... there's a lot of good, simple pleasures to be had with one of those consoles.

As for my opinions on the others?

PS3: The only reason to have one of these is to trade it in for a 360, or play the Ratchet and Clank game, MGS 4, or Resistance. IMO Resistance is hardly better than Halo 3, and I doubt it'll be better than COD 4 (yes, COD is going to multi platform, I know this) so I'm not sure if it's worth it just for resistance. But Ratchet and Clank is always really fun, and MGS is a good, solid series. If four doesn't suck, PS3 will be WORTH something!

360: If Microsoft wanted to kick Sony out of hte console war for good, mass recall and fix all those goddamn bugs! Imagine if the hardware of Microsoft was as good as the software, or the games, and didn't break every month or so?

That being said... Microsoft's system (much to the chagrin of Mac and Sony fanboys) is kicking the ever loving crap out of Sony's in the area that matters most: games. It has more, better games, and the games they both have are consistently more fun on Microsoft's system (mostly because the general consensus on sixaxis is: why?) Add the cheaper price tag...

Krytha
2007-12-04, 02:14 AM
Like he said at the bottom of the page, you can do it if you're a ****. It's also probably illegal. Really though, I expect them to fix it with a patch of some sort.

Hokay. And which demographic have you been playing with online? Right. Also, you'll notice its not just a line of code they have to insert. The eye is interpreting barcodes - which are identical visually to actual cards. You don't just code away how the eye works on a MECHANICAL level. I hear people tried policing da intarnets before. No news on how that turned out.

Shadic
2007-12-04, 05:14 AM
Get the original NES, and I don't mean the toploader version.

Dude, the NES2 (Top loading, NOT THE SNES) was an awesome system. It was a LOT more stable than the NES, it came with a much nicer controller, and it has a much greater chance to.. You know, actually play the game that you're trying to get working.

I have it. It's amazing. It's also way more rare, and expensive. :smallbiggrin:

Ranis
2007-12-04, 08:02 AM
360: If Microsoft wanted to kick Sony out of hte console war for good, mass recall and fix all those goddamn bugs! Imagine if the hardware of Microsoft was as good as the software, or the games, and didn't break every month or so?

90% of problems that occur from the 360 happen because of people not taking proper care of the system. It overheats like crazy and you have to keep it out in the open or it's not going to perform the way you want it to.

Bookshelf=360 murder.

Jibar
2007-12-04, 11:08 AM
I would wager a top-end PC from five years ago could run Crysis on minimum.

Fun fact: My PC is 6... 7 years old now, and can still run many of the latest non-Vista games at max settings.
I love this PC so much.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-04, 04:42 PM
Ok, just to Ranis:

Very few PS3 games actually do anything with Sixaxis. Resistance occasionally has you shake the contoller to put yourself out when you're on fire. You CAN, IF YOU WANT TO, use the Sixaxis to controls your plane in Warhawk. And when Folklore does it, it's actually not that annoying. Other than that, the PS3 rarely even notices Sixaxis. The Wii is the one to complain about if you hate waggle.

Also: 360's top games-

Halo
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Bioshock

Bioshock and Mass Effect are partly RPG's, but they're mostly shooters.

Sure, it HAS Blue Dragon. But that's only one of a few games.

And as for taking out non-exclusives? I did that because you were playing it off like those games were only for the 360. I've noticed that a lot of 360 owners like to pretend that every game is exclusive on it. Gears of War isn't. Bioshock isn't. That's two of the top 360 games right there. We're trying to suggest a system for the person to buy. And trying to make it look like those games are exclusive would cloud his judgement.

And as for "Not everyone has a good PC"? Honestly, I could upgrade to Vista and be able to play any of those games. I already have an almost-top-of-the-line graphics card. So honestly, I could do that for somewhere around $100, as can most people who have an even moderately worthwhile computer (Though they might have to also buy a graphics card). Therefore, I really don't have any use for a 360. Especially since almost all of its good games are going to have PC ports. A few of them will probably have PS3 ports, though I imagine not all of them will. Possibly Mass Effect, since EA has BioWare now, and EA never lets anything be exclusive.

EDIT:

90% of problems that occur from the 360 happen because of people not taking proper care of the system. It overheats like crazy and you have to keep it out in the open or it's not going to perform the way you want it to.

Bookshelf=360 murder.

Oh, you have to be kidding me. You're going to say "LOL, IT'S YOUR FAULT THAT YOUR 360 MESSED UP." Honestly, no other console has had this level of problems, and lots of people treat their consoles like crap. I once kicked my Gamecube out of frustration, and I mean kicked it hard, and it didn't show any problems at all. And you don't hear about PS3's and Wii's having those kinds of problems, do you? As much as I hate the Wii, I have to admit that it was made well. And I've NEVER had a problem with my PS3. Do you really think that 360 owners are any harder on their consoles than PS3 or Wii owners are? I know people who have gone through three or MORE 360's. And they've never had this kind of problem with any other console.

Just admit it, the 360 itself is a faulty pile of crap. Whether they like the games on it or not, most people will admit that its hardware is worthless.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-04, 05:02 PM
That's the good thing about Nintendo systems. They're so durable. The only Nintendo thing we ever broke was our old Game Boy Advance, and that was because my brother cracked the screen with his head in a fit of sheer frustration. Besides, it was a good excuse to get a new Game Boy Advance SP.:smallbiggrin:

Lord Shplane
2007-12-04, 05:07 PM
That's the good thing about Nintendo systems. They're so durable. The only Nintendo thing we ever broke was our old Game Boy Advance, and that was because my brother cracked the screen with his head in a fit of sheer frustration. Besides, it was a good excuse to get a new Game Boy Advance SP.:smallbiggrin:

I, personally, have never had a system break. Of course, I've never gotten a 360, and have therefore never gotten the system with the highest failure rate of any console in history. (Unless the old Atari's or some Sega system messed up, but I've never heard of it.)

Triaxx
2007-12-04, 06:04 PM
Your brother must have a hard head. I still have an Atari I could fire up if I could lay hands on the AC adapter.

Setra
2007-12-04, 06:38 PM
I have only had two consoles break.

An original NES, and a PSX.

Both due to fault of my brother, and dogs, that I normally kept from reaching said consoles.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-04, 06:54 PM
Your brother must have a hard head.

Yep. Couple that with his loose fuse and low tolerance for losing and that GBA was totalled. Boy was he in troible after that.

Superglucose
2007-12-04, 08:04 PM
Ok, just to Ranis:

Very few PS3 games actually do anything with Sixaxis. Resistance occasionally has you shake the contoller to put yourself out when you're on fire. You CAN, IF YOU WANT TO, use the Sixaxis to controls your plane in Warhawk. And when Folklore does it, it's actually not that annoying. Other than that, the PS3 rarely even notices Sixaxis. The Wii is the one to complain about if you hate waggle.

So in other words it was a stupid, stupid idea?

Also: 360's top games-

Halo
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Bioshock
*Blue Dragon, which you apparently like but left out of this list*

Bioshock and Mass Effect are partly RPG's, but they're mostly shooters.

Sure, it HAS Blue Dragon. But that's only one of a few games.

Ok... but those are just the exclusives. Name the PS 3 good exclusives that are out RIGHT NOW:

Resistance
Ratchet and Clank

And both are shooters. What are you talking about now?

And as for taking out non-exclusives? I did that because you were playing it off like those games were only for the 360. I've noticed that a lot of 360 owners like to pretend that every game is exclusive on it. Gears of War isn't. Bioshock isn't. That's two of the top 360 games right there. We're trying to suggest a system for the person to buy. And trying to make it look like those games are exclusive would cloud his judgement.

But if he doesn't have a nice, nice $1000 computer (most households still run computers from three years ago, four years ago, even ten years ago because all they need is the ability to run word and an internet connection, so they don't fanatically upgrade), those are games he's going to be able to play on his console that he can't anywhere else.

Your PC > Console argument is TRUE, but it's also true that family computers generally aren't upgraded more often than every few years.

this next argument is easy to pick apart.

And as for "Not everyone has a good PC"? Honestly, I could upgrade to Vista and be able to play any of those games. I already have an almost-top-of-the-line graphics card

The average joe shmoe parent who doesn't game will get the basic graphics card that comes out. Most of these are not capable of running Oblivion, to name one game.

. So honestly, I could do that for somewhere around $100, as can most people who have an even moderately worthwhile computer (Though they might have to also buy a graphics card).

My graphics card cost me $400 dollars... packaged, and with a discount. So that means, addding YOUR cost with MY cost, we're looking at a minimum of $500 dollars. And how exactly is that cheaper than any 360?

Therefore, I really don't have any use for a 360. Especially since almost all of its good games are going to have PC ports. A few of them will probably have PS3 ports, though I imagine not all of them will. Possibly Mass Effect, since EA has BioWare now, and EA never lets anything be exclusive.

*yawn* Local network play. GG dude. Can you play a racing game on the PC with your sister/brother/mother/father/friend in the same room on the same couch eating the same pizza and drinking the same soda on the same 50" plasma? I like PC games. I like even more hanging out in my friend's dorm split-screen co-oping Halo CE.

Oh, you have to be kidding me. You're going to say "LOL, IT'S YOUR FAULT THAT YOUR 360 MESSED UP." Honestly, no other console has had this level of problems, and lots of people treat their consoles like crap. I once kicked my Gamecube out of frustration, and I mean kicked it hard, and it didn't show any problems at all.

Your argument summarized: 360 sucks because Microsoft should have planned that people would kick it across the room when they suck at a game.

And you don't hear about PS3's and Wii's having those kinds of problems, do you? As much as I hate the Wii, I have to admit that it was made well.

I don't. Wii is a shoddily build pos. You think I'm kidding? Try plugging your RJ-45 into it. And as to not ruin the suspense you cant! Its made of cheap plastic. But people don't punt their Wiis across the room, which you apparently do. I'm inclined to agree that most of the time 360 issues are based on people (like you) doing really stupid things. Like
kicked my Gamecube out of frustration, and I mean kicked it hard

And I've NEVER had a problem with my PS3. Do you really think that 360 owners are any harder on their consoles than PS3 or Wii owners are? I know people who have gone through three or MORE 360's. And they've never had this kind of problem with any other console.

Yes, but, his argument is you know people who abuse their consoles. And since you don't think that kicking your gamecube hard is abuse... I'm inclined to agree with him and disbelieve you. I hardly ever have problems with my 360. There are just certain times when it doesn't work like I want it to, but there are others in which it works perfectly fine. I only mentioned it because a lot of people are having 360 problems.

Just admit it, the 360 itself is a faulty pile of crap. Whether they like the games on it or not, most people will admit that its hardware is worthless.

The 360 is a nice system, and would be perfect if it always worked as advertised. The hardware isn't worthless. I think the DVD drives suck, but honestly, I've never had any problems with it.

Well, except the time I smacked my controller against a wall to see if it was as durable as the old Xbox controllers. Short? It isn't :smallyuk:

Lord Shplane
2007-12-04, 08:35 PM
360 has a 30% failure rate, as compared to other system's 5-6%. Stop denying that it's made of faulty hardware.

Also, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword (Stop saying it's not a good game just because it wasn't as good as people thought it would be. Few games actually are), Warhawk, the other games I listed earlier, because I really don't feel like doing it again. And don't say "THOSE DON'T INTEREST ME ", because they DO interest a large number of other people. Hell, I can admit that the Wii interests some people, and that Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy are good games, even though I really don't like a lot about them personally.

Did you not see all the other people saying they have 5-6 year old computers that can run these games? And my graphics card didn't cost anywhere NEAR $500. You must have bought some super-card that you couldn't ever possibly need for any game ever.

And about the local play? Guess what: Most good multiplayer games are cross-platform. Rock Band? Cross platform. Those racing games you mentioned? Most of them are cross-platform. The best multiplayer FPS out there right now, which I would advise this guy to skip over any other FPS's (Including Resistance and Halo3) for would be CoD4. CoD4 is cross-platform.

So if he wants to play single-player games, he could just buy a reasonably priced yet still incredibly good graphics card (Like the one I have), a ram stick or two, and upgrade to Vista, and he'd be able to play those games. And that would probably only run him around $200. Or, he could just buy a completely new computer. Or, he could just ignore those games and play CoD4 and Rock Band. And if he got the PS3 versions, he wouldn't have to worry about the 30% FAILURE RATE. I'm sure his parents wouldn't be too happy if they had to send in the 360 for repairs 3 times.

Also, about the Gamecube? That's the only time I've hit/abused ANY of my consoles. EVER. And I felt VERY BAD ABOUT IT later. And you know what? 30% of 360 owners probably haven't hit their consoles. :smallamused:

Ranis
2007-12-04, 09:01 PM
Okay, dude, I'm done. I've made my points, and when you refute them in that kind of tone in stereotypical "SONYS SHALL DOMINATE ALLS!" fanboyism, then nothing I say will really make a difference anyway. Even if I did participate further, at the rate you're driving this thread, it'll degrade to an argument, which is against forum rules. Have fun with your PS3. I'll have fun with my 360.

Oh, and for the record, I know someone who went through four Wiis before he got one that worked out of the box at launch. And for a good five months after the PS3 first came out, the only reason Sony was moving 80% of their consoles is because people kept bringing them back, exchanging them for ones that were actually backwards compatible or didn't overheat after five minutes of being on. I saw it firsthand. I work at a gamestop. Our PS3 demo didn't work when we got it; the thing just wouldn't turn on, and neither did the next seven that our Sony representative gave us. And we still get people buying PS3's and returning them because they don't have internet access and the stupid things aren't backward compatible.

Also, I transport my 360 in a car in the original box I got it in on a weekly basis over 10 miles over a bumpy road, and I've never had any problems with my 360. A buddy of mine has actually dropped his three times, once the endplate actually popped out; when we put it back in, it's still ran just fine, no problems at all. So I'd really like to see where you're getting this "30% of 360's go bad" statistic from, because that might have been the case 6 months ago, maybe, but isn't anymore.

Seraph
2007-12-04, 09:11 PM
and upgrade to Vista

I'll take the 30% failure rate, thank you.

Setra
2007-12-04, 09:20 PM
So in other words it was a stupid, stupid idea?
Yes.
I'll take the 30% failure rate, thank you.
Agreed

But I'll take XP over the failure rate.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-04, 10:54 PM
Know what? I'm done too. Everyone knows that you're wrong. Everyone knows that the 360 dies at random. Even Microsoft does. They're the ones that had to extend their warranty. Did the other systems have problems at launch? Maybe. But they've been fixed by now. 360 death is still running strong.

[Scrubbed]

Lord_Butters_I
2007-12-04, 10:58 PM
360. There aren't any casual games on it but the hardcore games are AMAZING. If you would rather have casuals, get the Wii. Don't even THINK about getting a wii if you want real games, but for the casual gamer its the way to go.

Superglucose
2007-12-04, 11:01 PM
360 has a 30% failure rate, as compared to other system's 5-6%. Stop denying that it's made of faulty hardware.

Exactly 0% of people around me have had xbox failures, and I know a lot of people (twenty to thirty) who have xbox 360s. This does not mean that 0% of boxes fail, but it does mean that 30% is... very high.

Also, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword (Stop saying it's not a good game just because it wasn't as good as people thought it would be. Few games actually are), Warhawk
Resistance is a by-the-numbers shooter, and the 360 has two of those, as well as two shooters with intensive RPG elements. Heavenly Sword is a mediocre action game outshone by God of War 2 for a PREVIOUS SYSTEM. No interest in mediocre action games, I'd rather go climb an actual tree and swing a stick. Never even heard of Uncharted, so I'll look it up right now.

Oh that's the Indiana Jones ripoff? I think what I just said is enough.

Warhawk is not a good game. It is, was, and always will be boring. I haven't seen a decent ariel combat game since Crimson Skies.

Did you not see all the other people saying they have 5-6 year old computers that can run these games? And my graphics card didn't cost anywhere NEAR $500. You must have bought some super-card that you couldn't ever possibly need for any game ever. Show me a computer from '02 that can run Oblivion. Show me an AVERAGE, $600 prebuilt machine that your average consumer can buy from '02 that can run Oblivion. People who say their older computers play these games bought them not 5-6 years ago, but closer to 3-4 years ago. Secondly, they bought gaming platforms, not pre-built pos's that the average person has.

And about the local play? Guess what: Most good multiplayer games are cross-platform. Rock Band? Cross platform. Those racing games you mentioned? Most of them are cross-platform. The best multiplayer FPS out there right now, which I would advise this guy to skip over any other FPS's (Including Resistance and Halo3) for would be CoD4. CoD4 is cross-platform.

Yes, cross platform is fantastic for people who have no real friends. Gives you someone to play with. But as someone with many friends, we like sitting on the same couch, in the same room, eating the same pizza, and playing the same game. And for one family, they can either buy two PS3s to co-op CoD 4, or one 360 and co-op Halo 3. I didn't say that cross platform was bad, I said cross platform isn't a substitute for local play. I also said that local play is very important to an entire family enjoying a game.

So if he wants to play single-player games, he could just buy a reasonably priced yet still incredibly good graphics card (Like the one I have), a ram stick or two, and upgrade to Vista, and he'd be able to play those games. And that would probably only run him around $200. Or, he could just buy a completely new computer.
If he wanted to play single-player games why would he want to buy a console for his family to enjoy? Yikes... the logic bug rears its ugly head.

Or, he could just ignore those games and play CoD4 and Rock Band. And if he got the PS3 versions, he wouldn't have to worry about the 30% FAILURE RATE. I'm sure his parents wouldn't be too happy if they had to send in the 360 for repairs 3 times.

Yeah, except you haven't demonstrated that a third of xboxes fail, nor have you explained how a third of xboxes failing mean that he has to send his 360 in three times. That would imply a 300% failure rate, which is... not true. Mathematically speaking.

Also, about the Gamecube? That's the only time I've hit/abused ANY of my consoles. EVER. And I felt VERY BAD ABOUT IT later. And you know what? 30% of 360 owners probably haven't hit their consoles. :smallamused:

I hit my box all the time when it isn't reading. Not hard, but a love tap. It's what my old Comp Sci teacher used to say: "If it isn't working, hit it until it does or your hand hurts." And ya know what? Whenever my box doesn't want to read a disk (origional or 360) or my computer isn't working (not my laptop, those are frail, but my desktop), it gets a swift whack on the casing. it starts working.

You're still an idiot for booting your gamecube. You still just, from our point of view, made up a statistic. And you still claimed that for a family of four (or is it five?) a PC and PS3 are better for family oriented multiplayer gaming.

My order?

1) Wii

2) 360 (at least there's local play for Halo 3, which you and your dad might like)

3) PS3 (just costs too damn much, but Ratchet and Clank is always fun)

Setra
2007-12-04, 11:06 PM
3) PS3 (just costs too damn much, but Ratchet and Clank is always fun)
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020079

360, 349.99

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020285

PS3 40gb, 399.99

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020083

360 Elite, 449.99

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020279

PS3 80gb, 499.99

$50 difference. In any case, I will admit that as of right now the 360 has better games.

But my tastes prefer the PS3 exclusives to the 360 ones.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-04, 11:40 PM
Links to 360 30% failure rate.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xbox-360-failure-rate-30-says-retailers-271487.php

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/D3Q7G8S2

These next guys are claiming that their survey showed a 61% failure rate, though I really doubt that it's THAT bad.
http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=964

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/ms-denies-ea-employee-claim-of-high-failure-rates-among-x360s/69358/

http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/failure-rate-xbox-360-high-as-33-sony-ps3-less-than-1/

Well, I'm sick of copy/pasting. Now some of those may be old, but it's just what I got from the first page of a Google search for "XBox 360 failure rate". And it's a safe bet to conclude that the problem is still going strong, considering the number of people I've seen who say they've had to take back multiple 360's (That's actually where I got the number "3" from, it was the most common number I've heard), as well as the fact that Microsoft recently had to extend the warranty on 360's.

So yeah, you're both wrong. I really don't see how you didn't know this already. Maybe you did, and you're just hired by Microsoft to spread propaganda around? They do it on Wikipedia and those shopping websites with the reviews at the bottom (Admittedly, Sony does it as well), so I don't see why they wouldn't do it with forums as well.

Rogue 7
2007-12-04, 11:46 PM
360. There aren't any casual games on it but the hardcore games are AMAZING. If you would rather have casuals, get the Wii. Don't even THINK about getting a wii if you want real games, but for the casual gamer its the way to go.

Excuse me. Resident Evil 4. Twilight Princess. Mario Galaxy. Metroid Prime. Hell, Call of Duty 3. Availability- dirt cheap- of Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country, etc. What, pray tell, does a real game mean?

Krytha
2007-12-05, 12:12 AM

Man, you are so wrong I don't even know where to start. Probably by listing a big long list of AMAZING games. But you seem to be well entrenched in xbox 360 fanboyism, so I doubt that list would change your mind anyway.

Da Beast
2007-12-05, 12:18 AM
Also, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword (Stop saying it's not a good game just because it wasn't as good as people thought it would be. Few games actually are), Warhawk, the other games I listed earlier, because I really don't feel like doing it again.

All the games you mentioned (except for Heavenly Sword which I'd say is aimed at the same demographic) are shooters. Aren't you the one who keeps deriding the 360 on the grounds that its library focuses too much on shooters? Also, to quote myself:

Uncharted has the same problem as Heavenly Sword. Neither of them are very long or have much replay value. If you really want to play them then rent a PS3 with Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, blow a three day weekend, then go spend your money on a system with a decent library.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-05, 06:22 AM
Rest of my list on first page. That wasn't all of it.

Destro_Yersul
2007-12-05, 07:27 AM
Know what? I'm done too. Everyone knows that you're wrong. Everyone knows that the 360 dies at random. Even Microsoft does. They're the ones that had to extend their warranty. Did the other systems have problems at launch? Maybe. But they've been fixed by now. 360 death is still running strong.

So have fun with your completely blind fanboyism.

an old saying about pots and kettles comes to mind...

Anyways, I own a 360 Elite. I've had it for several months now and it has yet to fail on me. I suspect this is because I keep it in an area with adequate ventilation (at least four inches of space on all sides except the bottom), and not in a tiny little alcove like some people I know.

My suggestion? Get a 360 for the superior gaming, or a Wii for the fun factor.

Jibar
2007-12-05, 11:26 AM
Show me a computer from '02 that can run Oblivion. Show me an AVERAGE, $600 prebuilt machine that your average consumer can buy from '02 that can run Oblivion. People who say their older computers play these games bought them not 5-6 years ago, but closer to 3-4 years ago. Secondly, they bought gaming platforms, not pre-built pos's that the average person has.

Umm... no seriously. Got this back in... '02 actually. I usually have Warcraft 3, Oblivion and Dawn of War installed on it. And it plays fine.
Plus it is a totally average machine. We haven't upped the graphics much. Added on some memory.
This is an '02 average computer that can run Oblivion.

Superglucose
2007-12-06, 01:26 PM
Excuse me. Resident Evil 4. Twilight Princess. Mario Galaxy. Metroid Prime. Hell, Call of Duty 3. Availability- dirt cheap- of Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country, etc. What, pray tell, does a real game mean?

CoD 3 is the only problem I have with this list. I really, REALLY disliked CoD 3.

I also disliked Metroid Prime and TP, but that's not indicative of their quality as games, as I just don't really like the Metroid games or the Zelda games.

But with the virtual console (even in its current questionable state) in, Wii definitley wins the award for 'greatest library ever'

Drascin
2007-12-06, 01:40 PM
My suggestion? Get a 360 for the superior gaming, or a Wii for the fun factor.

But wouldn't more fun intrinsically mean superior gaming? :smallwink:

(I think I know what you actually meant, btw, it's just that I disagree on your way to put it - as I wrote before, I'd personally say "superior" in a matter of games is only defined by the amount of fun one has with said game)

Oeryn
2007-12-06, 02:33 PM
I still have an Atari I could fire up if I could lay hands on the AC adapter.

I picked one up at Radio Shack about a year ago, for seven bucks.

Word of advice, though. It's a unbelievably big step backwards. Most of the stuff I remember bein' great was mostly nostalgia. Even though it was only seven bucks, I was still kinda pissed.

As for the other argument, I've got a PS3, and I'm thrilled with it. No problems, or anything, and I've loved the games I've gotten for it. I had a pretty big PS2 library, and I mainly got it for the backwards compatibility, and the fact (like another poster said) that my tastes in exclusives run more towards the stuff I know Sony's gonna put out.

I think it all comes down to preference. I have friends with Wiis and 360s, and I haven't really heard bad things about either of them. It's stupid to pretend that --because you don't like a console-- it's a worthless POS. The PS3 has been a great machine for me, and I've had a great time with the games I've played on it.

To each their own.

Rogue 7
2007-12-06, 04:00 PM
CoD 3 is the only problem I have with this list. I really, REALLY disliked CoD 3.

I also disliked Metroid Prime and TP, but that's not indicative of their quality as games, as I just don't really like the Metroid games or the Zelda games.

But with the virtual console (even in its current questionable state) in, Wii definitley wins the award for 'greatest library ever'

Odd. I enjoyed it- the controls worked well once I got used to them. It wasn't a great game by anyone's imagination, but it was a decent FPS on the Wii. I can't see how anyone CAN'T like Twilight Princess, but I'll just call you crazy and get on with it.:smalltongue:

Agreed on the virtual console, not to mention full (full, mind you) Gamecube reverse-capability.

Superglucose
2007-12-06, 07:35 PM
Odd. I enjoyed it- the controls worked well once I got used to them. It wasn't a great game by anyone's imagination, but it was a decent FPS on the Wii. I can't see how anyone CAN'T like Twilight Princess, but I'll just call you crazy and get on with it.:smalltongue:

Agreed on the virtual console, not to mention full (full, mind you) Gamecube reverse-capability.

I have not been able to fully play a Zelda game since A Link to the Past. And that fact was even more secured when I watched the Decline of Video Gaming series. Now my friends and I all refer to them as "Lampshade of No Real Significance" and their respected consoles. Minish Cap is "Lapshade: N64 Edition 2" (I think... can't remember the order) while TP is "Lampshade: Wii Edition".

I mean, I played a little of it. I just get bored.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-06, 07:37 PM
One word descrition of the PS3: Rumble-less :smallfrown:

Lord Shplane
2007-12-06, 08:28 PM
One word descrition of the PS3: Rumble-less :smallfrown:

Dualshock 3 next year.

Not that it matters. Rumble sucks anyway. I always turned it off.

Destro_Yersul
2007-12-07, 04:15 AM
But wouldn't more fun intrinsically mean superior gaming? :smallwink:

(I think I know what you actually meant, btw, it's just that I disagree on your way to put it - as I wrote before, I'd personally say "superior" in a matter of games is only defined by the amount of fun one has with said game)

Yeah, I probably could have been clearer on that point. Anyways, to clarify:

Xbox has more single player games with good gameplay and pretty graphics than any other system.

Wii has lots of good party games, as well as some very solid multiplayer titles, and the Wiimote is made of pure awesome.

mwp1138
2007-12-07, 09:49 AM
My thoughts, for the original poster:

Go for the XBox 360, but purchase it from Best Buy or somewhere that will let you pay a few more bucks for an in-store warranty that covers all problems. So if there is a problem you can just take it back to the store and swap it out in a day rather than having to ship it to Microsoft. (Yes, I had the "red ring of death" problem, and had to ship it, but still think the 360 is worth it.)

The 360 has XBox Live, with tons of games that are fun for everyone in the family, and many of the original XBox games can be played on the 360. (Like PSYCHONAUTS, one of the best critically acclaimed but little known games.)

Triaxx
2007-12-07, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about the Atari. It's full of nostalgia. Gameplay makes me sneeze and I have to wear sunglasses to avoid eye damage. But it's still fun.

I can't quite figure out the distaste for the Wii. So the controller senses you moving it. So? Don't buy into the commercials that show people waving it around like idiots. Only bowling really requires that. You can sit down and play just about anything else. Only the Wii-chuck motions for the Lasso require any severe movement on the part of MP3.