PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Power from pain build

Skullruss
2023-01-08, 04:56 PM
So, I want to make a build that uses effects like the Pain Mastery feat and Masochism spell to get stronger by taking damage. The way that I could see this being useful as a build is to use something like a maximized Vampiric Touch on myself, that way I can supercharge my next round for an alpha strike without losing any actual hp, because of the temp hp I'll gain from Vampiric Touch. I was also thinking that I could fill in the gaps of hp with healing and just do it again if combat is lasting a while.

So basically, do you guys have any suggestions for how to do this kind of a build? I was thinking I might go full 20 cleric to get the most bang for my buck out of Vampiric Touch, using DMM shenanigans to make it super strong, while also getting access to Masochism. Maybe I'd dip into Crusader for some maneuvers, but I haven't really fleshed out the idea. I just want to be able to use the concept of getting stronger as I take damage, even if it means seppuku-ing myself to get there.

Inevitability
2023-01-08, 05:58 PM
The BoVD has rules for a masochistic character:

A masochist gains a +4 circumstance bonus on saving throws against pain effects (such as a symbol of pain). Furthermore, if he takes damage equal to his character level in a round, he gains a +1 circumstance bonus on attack and damage rolls, skill checks, and saving throws for the next round.

To balance it out you can formalize the preceding paragraph and add some kind of forced daily HP loss / maximum HP reduction, or ask your DM to let you buy this as a feat (which seems balanced, eyeballing it).

ShurikVch
2023-01-08, 06:02 PM
Barbarian's Berserker Strength ACF

Involuntary Rage (Savage Species) - presuming damage was 50 or more, and you don't die from Massive Damage

Outcast Champion 3 (Races of Destiny) - Desperate Fury: when at less than 50% hp, fatigued, or exhausted, get +2 morale on Str/Dex/Con for 3 rounds (+ Con bonus); effect ends if Champion become frightened, panicked, or cowering

Badger, Wolverine, Dire Badger, and Dire Wolverine are all get Rage

... that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, and -2 AC. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.
Available as polymorph, Wild Shape, lycanthropy, or - for the "non-Dires" - Anthropomorphic Animal

Mantle of Pure Spite spell (Heroes of Horror)

Ushemoi (Monster Manual V): got such SA as Speed from Pain or (Lesser) Strength from Pain. Depending on the particular creature, they have HD 2 to 12, and LA +2 to +4 (mostly +4 - except for Lashemoi, which also have just 2 racial HD)

Also, if you OK to play as a Devil (Advespa or Imp, the most likely) - then Mark of Phlegethos allow you to get 1 pleasure point when you take (or deal) damage, and you can spend it for +4 on attack, save, ability check, or skill check. Accumulated pleasure points disappear at the end of the encounter.

Anthrowhale
2023-01-08, 08:46 PM
On the spellcaster side, I was reminded of Suffer the Flesh recently. For a Human Cleric[Spellcasting, Planning] with Persistent Spell, DMM[Persistent], and Southern Magician it allows you to generate a +4 caster level all day using a lesser rod of extend spell.