PDA

View Full Version : PF2e Weapon Proficiency

Phhase
2023-01-11, 05:16 PM
I'm making my first character in Pathfinder 2, and I'm curious about acquiring the Weapon Proficiency feat. I picked Rogue but I'd like to be able to use a versatile sword in my off hand, most of which are martial. Weapon Proficiency looks like the right feat because it's level 1, but it's also a general feat, which I can't seem to acquire at level 1. What am I missing?

Snowbluff
2023-01-11, 08:01 PM
You could try being an elf and taking Elven Weapon Familiarity.

Thunder999
2023-01-11, 08:06 PM
You don't get a general feat at level 1 in 2e.
Also the feat is fine at low level, but the proficiency will never scale, so it's pretty useless longterm.

Is there any reason you can't just use a Shortsword, it's already got everything you need as a rogue.

You can get any ancestry specific martial weapon as a simple weapon with the Unconventional Weaponry Human Feat (or if you have martial weapons, this lets you get an Advanced weapon), but there's not actually any Versatile Martial weapons with such a trait.

Phhase
2023-01-11, 08:42 PM
You don't get a general feat at level 1 in 2e.
Also the feat is fine at low level, but the proficiency will never scale, so it's pretty useless longterm.

Is there any reason you can't just use a Shortsword, it's already got everything you need as a rogue.

You can get any ancestry specific martial weapon as a simple weapon with the Unconventional Weaponry Human Feat (or if you have martial weapons, this lets you get an Advanced weapon), but there's not actually any Versatile Martial weapons with such a trait.

To explain, I'm confused because it's allegedly a level 1 feat that isn't available at level 1. I WOULD use ancestry to find a weapon, but I already decided to use Fleshwarp as my ancestry,and I'll probably get darkvision from that. As for why I want such a weapon, (to clarify, by Versatile I specifically meant a weapon that can be two-handed for extra effect, I know it's called something different in the game) it's because I had a cool idea for a fighting style that the DM approved: using glassblowing tools to make hollow glass daggers filled with whatever alchemical compound. Stab, shatter, then I have a hand free to follow up with a two-handed blow.

Thunder999
2023-01-11, 10:11 PM
You can get a general feat at 1st level as a human and feat levels are always just the minimum level.

Oh and you do realise that you can't get sneak attack with any of the weapons that can be two-handed like that, because none of them have the Agile or Finesse Traits.
If that's not a problem then you can just use Staff.
If you want to actually get your sneak attack then you're stuck with a one handed weapon.

torrasque666
2023-01-12, 01:44 AM
You can get a general feat at 1st level as a human and feat levels are always just the minimum level.

Oh and you do realise that you can't get sneak attack with any of the weapons that can be two-handed like that, because none of them have the Agile or Finesse Traits.
If that's not a problem then you can just use Staff.
If you want to actually get your sneak attack then you're stuck with a one handed weapon.

There are actually 2 weapons that qualify, but I can totally understand why they'd be overlooked. A reinforced stock (which can be applied to both 1 and 2 handed crossbows/firearms) and the bladed hoop, which comes from an adventure path and is an Advanced Weapon (so you'd need to take Weapon Proficiency twice and it wouldn't scale). Both also have convoluted use cases.