PDA

View Full Version : Not a character build, but rather suggestions...

dr awesome phd
2007-12-02, 06:52 PM
I am starting a new campaign here fairly soon and I already have a rough character in mind... just not sure how to execute. Figured I'd pop in here and ask you folks.

The DM is starting what he calls a "High-Powered, High Death-rate Campaign".

I think it's just a DM stomping ground to try and kill off players, so it'll be fun to see whether we can actually survive any of the crap he cooks up. Anyway, a friend of mine is making some kind of caster type, and I thought it would be interesting (from a role-playing standpoint) to be his lackey or 'cohort' in a manner of speaking.

We're starting level 16.
Stats will be all 18's.
Any non-evil.
Can only use completes, compendiums, and core (we don't have some of the more niche books [races of stone, etc]).

I wanted to try something a bit different this time so I'm going to try a Race/Class combo that I though sounds cool: A Thri-Kreen Ninja. While I know there are other race/class combos that would work more to my advantage, this just sounds fun. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. I'll probably be the only 'rogue'-type in the party (there are 8 of us). While I'd like to do something that would maximize survivability of the, I also want to try and stay away from any ridiculous combos. So with the HD and level adjustment, I'll only be level 12. Any thoughts for a 4-armed ninja?

(Disclaimer: Not looking for someone to literally make me a character... just looking for suggested paths, or neat ideas.)

Snadgeros
2007-12-02, 07:44 PM
A DM trying to kill you all? This is just asking for you to break his game with super-cheese (not Pun-Pun or anything, just overpowered). Given the high starting level, you have plenty of options. For example: try a half-dragon dragon shaman. The half-dragon would give ridiculous stat bonuses and skill points. For added fun, make the character half-gold dragon but make his dragon totem silver (or any combination of two dragons). That way you get two different breath weapons and immunities. For even more fun, apply the half-dragon template to a large creature to get wings, or you could just wait until level 19. With this combination, you won't have any trouble staying alive. Your strength will be ridiculous, you can use your auras to buff yourself and your party, and you have two different breath weapons to hurl at your opponents for massive damage.:smallbiggrin:

ocato
2007-12-02, 07:46 PM
The main problem with the ninja is that it's sneak attack cannot be used during flanking and they don't get UMD as a class skill, both of which are kicks in the proverbial teeth. I'd consider a rogue who is ninja flavored, but that's just me. This still has great promise due to the Ninja's ghost step ability to become invisible, it just might be harder.

Feats to think about, obviously, are Multiweapon fighting and Multiattack, as well as improved natural weapon (bite), and maybe improved natural armor. See if your DM will allow a homebrewed version of two-weapon pounce as multiweapon pounce. Your main goal here will be to go invisible and then use your outstanding leaping abilities to attack with your four weapons +poisonous bite, all for sudden strike damage. If you can't get the multiweapon pounce, just settle for going invisible and then striking from adjacent squares. This build might be really fun, with 5 1d6 attacks, each having access to your sudden strike, which at L12 is +6d6.

Chronos
2007-12-02, 10:01 PM
Straight 18s, and the goal is simply to not get yourself killed? Man, if there was ever a time for a monk, this is it. Maybe toss in some duelist, too.

Cybren
2007-12-02, 10:24 PM
A monk paladin duelist?

Snadgeros
2007-12-02, 10:50 PM
Half-dragon monk duelist. Best. Survivor. EVER. Put the half-dragon template on another monster (one with little to no "humanoid" levels) for maximum natural armor bonuses.

Toliudar
2007-12-03, 04:02 AM
Whispergnome illusionist, human cleric, half-elf bard/sublime chord, halfling druid - as a group, I'd put these above an effort to make a group of survivalist-focused PC's.

dr awesome phd
2007-12-03, 01:37 PM
Duelist? I don't think I've run across that class before. I suppose I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks.

Snadgeros
2007-12-03, 01:45 PM
As an added bonus, a monk's fists are treated as light weapons, so you can use them with weapon finesse. A perfect complement to your duelist levels.

Benejeseret
2007-12-03, 02:09 PM
Going straight ninja is my vote.

Why ==> your lvl12 ghost step ethereal combined with the lvl8 ghost strike abilities.

Given your stats and level that is 10+ rounds ethereal. Better yet, get scrolls/rings/wands whatever of ethereal jaunt so Ghost Strike works all the time.

Ethereal is not the same as incorporeal. Ghost-weapons do not work on ethereal...in fact NOTHING really does except force damage/walls.

Plus if things do get towards a TPK you can ethereal yourself straight up/down/sideways through walls etc and escape.

Also look to complete scoundrel for the various skill...thingies (away from book). I know one lets you use tumble to automatically make the opponent loose dex...and the ninja gets +4 or more to tumble from acrobatics (think it is +6 but unsure). Also corner perch and others allow you to use your speed climb/giant leap to perch up out of reach and flay them with throwing stars.

Going towards Rapid Blitz feat lets you get up to 3 different opponents when they are flatfooted (or use the tumble skill feats from complete scoundrel).

All in all however, the ninja (needing mobility and hit and run) is somewhat inconsistent with thrikeen's extra attacks (if you are toe to toe and able to do a full round attack....a ninja is in trouble). Thus I would drop thrikeen and go lvl16 ninja. Whispergnome is a great option.

Best bet with neat fluff is a pixie ninja. Nothing says hello like a pixie stab to the eye while invisible backed up by +6d6 sudden strike damage. Great mobility, flight lets you possibly use feats like poweful dive (plus normal dive makes slashing weapons x2 damage). Plus giantbane/confound the big folk feats would be great with the ninjas bonus to climb and tumble.

dr awesome phd
2007-12-03, 03:46 PM
That's good point. As I mentioned, I'm primarily looking to be a different character's "emissary", in a manner of speaking. I don't need to do a Thri-Kreen, they just seemed neat. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out some of the other races. If I wasn't at work, I'd probably be rifling through my books to read about the Duelist that a few of you had mentioned.

Chronos
2007-12-03, 05:20 PM
The duelist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/duelist.htm). I think the biggest feature folks are suggesting it for is the Int bonus to AC.

dr awesome phd
2007-12-03, 05:22 PM
Actually, real quick, what book is the Duelist in? CWarrior? CAdventurer?

Bryn
2007-12-03, 06:04 PM
Actually, real quick, what book is the Duelist in? CWarrior? CAdventurer?

Dungeon Master's Guide :smalltongue:

Snadgeros
2007-12-03, 06:25 PM
Okay, so a half-dragon monk duelist with all 18s would have an AC of.....10+4(natural armor)+4(INT modifier)+4(DEX modifier)+4(WIS modifier) for a grand total of 26 AC. Against attacks of opportunity, your duelist levels and mobility will boost that to 34. Your touch AC (sans natural armor) is 22, but flatfooted it's only 14. Try not to get caught surprised. Good news is that dodge can boost any one of these up by +1 against a selected foe.

This is also not even counting for the ridiculous stat bonuses half-dragon would add to your perfect 18s. Your saves thanks to monk levels will be absolutely ludicrous too. And all of this without so much as a single piece of armor or feat.

Kompera
2007-12-04, 01:31 AM
4 levels of Rogue or 2 of Barbarian would give Uncanny Dodge and keep the DEX based AC even if flat footed.