PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Evasion

Yrnes
2007-12-02, 10:29 PM
I'm still new around here, and 3.5 in general, so excuse any noobish questions.
I'm considering an NPC build Fighter using a Ring of Evasion to help minimize some spell damage thrown his way - however recently a friend informed me since the ring grants the evasion ability he wasn't sure if the armor restriction still applied to it.

I didn't see anything specifically as the rule is written, so I was wondering if there was any clarification if the evasion ability the ring granted was restricted by armor or not.

Thanks!
Yrnes

Accountant
2007-12-02, 10:38 PM
No, since a ring of evasion grants the ability evasion just as written in the class feature, by definition you wouldn't be able to wear any more than light armor.

Also, I guess you're new and all, but we do have the simple Q&A thread for simple questions like this. :smallsmile:

EDIT - Links are cool.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55714

tyckspoon
2007-12-02, 10:44 PM
I think Accountant is wrong. The ring does not grant 'evasion as per the rogue or monk class feature'; it just grants evasion. Evasion has its own entry as a special ability, separate from any specific class.

These extraordinary abilities allow the target of an area attack to leap or twist out of the way. Rogues and monks have evasion and improved evasion as class features, but certain other creatures have these abilities, too.
If subjected to an attack that allows a Reflex save for half damage, a character with evasion takes no damage on a successful save.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, evasion is a reflexive ability. The character need not know that the attack is coming to use evasion.
Rogues and monks cannot use evasion in medium or heavy armor. Some creatures with the evasion ability as an innate quality do not have this limitation.
Improved evasion is like evasion, except that even on a failed saving throw the character takes only half damage.

The only restriction on the evasion granted by the ring is the same as the restrictions on making a Reflex save at all.

Toliudar
2007-12-02, 10:47 PM
I would agree with Tyckspoon's interpretation of the ring's abilities. Wear all the armour you want!

Accountant
2007-12-02, 10:53 PM
Huh. Look at me, with my assumptions.

Yeah, it'd work, I guess.

Yrnes
2007-12-02, 10:54 PM
Ok, I thought you could wear armor with it. It's also further clarified that rogues get evasion even in light armor whereas monks cannot use it with any armor... so the lack of specification in the ring entry would lead me to assume it doesn't have a specific class restriction.

iceman
Tyckspoon is right the ring grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion. The only problem is that a fighter wearing heavy armor isn't going to have much of a reflex save and will more than likely fail the save anyway. In which case he/she would then take full damage.

AstralFire
And I believe Rangers get it in Light or Medium Armor.

Nebo_
2007-12-02, 11:42 PM
And I believe Rangers get it in Light or Medium Armor.

Nope, just light. They don't even get proficiency with medium armour, why would they get evasion with it?

Ok, I thought you could wear armor with it. It's also further clarified that rogues get evasion even in light armor whereas monks cannot use it with any armor... so the lack of specification in the ring entry would lead me to assume it doesn't have a specific class restriction.

Monks can use it in light armour, they just can't use much else.

AstralFire
2007-12-02, 11:48 PM
Ah, I keep flashing back to the 3.0 Ranger which did get Medium, since my first introduction to the idea of conditional feats was the 3.0 Ranger.