PDA

View Full Version : WotC does not read any of our UA or OneD&D feedback. Thoughts?

Schwann145
2023-01-18, 05:41 PM
All those text boxes included for us to leave our thoughts?
Completely ignored. Nobody reads them. Nobody on the development team cares one bit about our thoughts on their mechanics.

This has been confirmed by verified leaks from WotC employees.
A tweet confirming as much. (https://twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1615806825198194708)

So... good to know it's all a waste of time.

Dr.Samurai
2023-01-18, 05:47 PM
I'm as miffed about the approach WotC has taken as the next person but... we have to take theses "leaks" with a lot of caution. Just because it is verified that the person works there, doesn't mean what they are saying is true or that they don't have some other motives.

It could very well be true, but we should be responding to WotC in good faith, and not all riled up because of these leaks.

EDIT: And good faith doesn't mean you have to trust them or agree with them. But just respond on the merits of their actions and their releases. But seems to me these leaks are exasperating an already contentious issue and I don't think it's helpful. I think we can all judge WotC proposals for ourselves without an "insider" alleging bad things every few days. We're all primed right now to believe it because we're angry, so be careful not to get led by the nose, so to speak.

PhoenixPhyre
2023-01-18, 05:53 PM
All those text boxes included for us to leave our thoughts?
Completely ignored. Nobody reads them. Nobody on the development team cares one bit about our thoughts on their mechanics.

This has been confirmed by verified leaks from WotC employees.
A tweet confirming as much. (https://twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1615806825198194708)

So... good to know it's all a waste of time.

Pikachu's shocked face could not be reached for comment. This is SOP for the vast majority of "product" surveys. And there are good reasons for it--I'm not even really aggravated by it. Just confirming more of what we know and reinforcing the futility of responding.

It also does confirm what I expected and vitiates the "but they have all this feedback!" or "wait for the surveys and tell them there in detail" comments. Tactically, it means that if you slightly don't like something, the best way of being heard is to tank the numerical rating. Basically, don't use the middle group at all. If you don't like the exact implementation, set the rating at 1-2. If you do like the exact implementation, set the rating high. Anything in-between will be ignored.

Snowbluff
2023-01-18, 05:54 PM
I'm with Dr.Samurai, I feel like these leaks are being thrown out there with little to verify them. Being upset with WotC is ok, but I think everyone will be better off if we work off of what we know rather than what we don't.

JadedDM
2023-01-18, 05:57 PM
You don't really need to verify that, though. Let's be honest, if WotC actually cared what the community thought, if they actually cared about our feedback, then they would have asked for it about the OGL from the beginning, instead of doing all of this behind closed doors.

We only know about any of this because of the leaks. Otherwise, none of us would have seen it coming until it was already too late.

Atranen
2023-01-18, 06:01 PM
I agree that we should be cautious about leaks, and also agree that there's no way someone is reading through 39,000 survey responses looking for good ideas.

Segev
2023-01-18, 06:06 PM
Tactically, it means that if you slightly don't like something, the best way of being heard is to tank the numerical rating. Basically, don't use the middle group at all. If you don't like the exact implementation, set the rating at 1-2. If you do like the exact implementation, set the rating high. Anything in-between will be ignored.

This is the biggest take-away, I think, from this information. Don't waste your time with writing explanations in the surveys. Write those in forums. On reddit. In emails to WotC. But especially anywhere public-facing.

If you even slightly dislike something in the proposed mechanics, give it a "1." That's the only thing they listen to from the surveys. (I doubt they even pay attention to the "5s," because their attitude is that THEY are making the game, so of course anybody who DESERVES to be heeded will like it, and anyone who rates a 4 or 3 on it is just too dumb to recognize their brilliance, but is compliant enough they'll go along with it.)

Nuance is lost on these people in this context.

The Glyphstone
2023-01-18, 06:07 PM
Great Modthulhu: The Official OGL Discussion Thread can be found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?653211-Official-OGL-Discussion-Thread) - please continue there, as this is very relevant to the topic.