PDA

View Full Version : KP Tome of Heroes

Brookshw
2023-01-18, 06:12 PM
Anyone have this, and have opinions to share? Debating picking it up, and am especially wondering about the gunpowder stuff I keep seeing mentioned in reviews, is it developed significantly enough to use for a late renaissance/ early industrial age style of game? The stuff they released in Grimoire 2 was kinda 'eh'.

SouthpawSoldier
2023-01-20, 04:47 PM
I do and can reference it easily enough.

Preface: I love Kobold Press, and prefer their setting to the standard WOTC material.

So, Gunpowder. Gunpowder weapons get a trait (Burst, IIRC) where damage dice explode; for example, rolling a six result on a d6 lets you keep that six, and roll again, adding new die to the total damage rolled.

Gunpowder Cleric can imbue weapons with that property, so imagine a Paladin Smiting, and getting to burst their damage dice.

There's also a Gunpowder-themed Sorcerer subclass that summons multiple Mage Hands armed with flintlock pistols.

I think it adds a lot of fun options for players, but a lot will but up to the DM to allow or not.

Brookshw
2023-01-21, 07:52 AM
I do and can reference it easily enough. Thank you!

Preface: I love Kobold Press, and prefer their setting to the standard WOTC material. I own more of their than WoTCs content for 5e :smallbiggrin:

So, Gunpowder. Gunpowder weapons get a trait (Burst, IIRC) where damage dice explode; for example, rolling a six result on a d6 lets you keep that six, and roll again, adding new die to the total damage rolled.

Gunpowder Cleric can imbue weapons with that property, so imagine a Paladin Smiting, and getting to burst their damage dice.

There's also a Gunpowder-themed Sorcerer subclass that summons multiple Mage Hands armed with flintlock pistols.

I think it adds a lot of fun options for players, but a lot will but up to the DM to allow or not.

How about for non-casters, is it integrated in anyway beyond the bursting dice aspect? Weapon maneuvers, or that sort of thing?

How do you feel they did with providing details or advice for integrating it into Midgard, or other settings?

SouthpawSoldier
2023-01-21, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah. Fighters get both a fighting style (Gunfighting; lets them reroll 1’s on damgecrolls with gunpowder weapons) and an archetype (Buccaneer) focused on gun and blade.

Brookshw
2023-01-21, 01:20 PM
Oh yeah. Fighters get both a fighting style (Gunfighting; lets them reroll 1’s on damgecrolls with gunpowder weapons) and an archetype (Buccaneer) focused on gun and blade.

Cool, thank you!

Unoriginal
2023-01-21, 07:52 PM
Are there NPCs in the book?