PDA

View Full Version : Non-Blood Sources of Sorcerous Power

MrNexx
2007-12-03, 12:01 AM
The other threads on the topic got me thinking... what is some other, non-blood meat (http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/17892.html) you can think of for sorcerers having magical power?

1) The character is an incarnate god; one day, he will ascend to godhood, and these are manifestations of his future power.
2) The character is a reincarnation of a powerful wizard from the past; the wizard was so powerful that magic imprinted on his soul. The stronger the character's charisma, the more of this ancient personality he manifests.
3) The character makes pacts with minor demons/minor faeries/spirits, and commands them to cast spells. He can only control so many spirits at a time, but he can use the spells in any order.

Anyone else?

Solo
2007-12-03, 12:03 AM
4) The character is just that awesome.

MCerberus
2007-12-03, 12:03 AM
Repost alert. Incoming repost from the other sorcerer thread.

In case anyone is interested I've been mulling over a few alternative "how he got his powers" thoughts for sorcs (and if you go by PhB the sorcs could just be pretending to have powers via heritage).

X-man/What the hell I have magic - They're just pretty much freaks. The ability to cast magic kind of came out of left field. Maybe they're just lucky or unlucky, maybe they were born under the right stars. Whatever the case, they have magic and no idea where they got it.

Chosen one - The powers that be gifted the person with magic powers, or perhaps some crazy cult did it to bring about the end of the world. If it weren't for them being singled out by someone or something, they would have had normal lives.

"It runs in the family" - That whole dragon thing is just some BS made up to make sorcerers sound better. One of their parents was a sorcerer (maybe both), so now they are. In a world where magic is so pervasive that a drunk wizard can make a freaking Owlbear, who's to say that some series of genes dpesn't make one more sensitive to the ebb and flow of magic?

You too can be a sorcerer - This kind of sorcerer stumbled onto the dirty little secret of the class, you don't need to be born a sorcerer. They have opened their mind to new ways of thinking of magic and are slowly learning to bend reality through their will.

Ponce
2007-12-03, 12:20 AM
5) When the character was just a wee rascal, he fell off a cliff and landed in a pile of dragon manure.

slexlollar89
2007-12-03, 12:21 AM
The sorcerer in question is actually just a commoner with a lot of faith in Boccob (or any god really, this guy is just my favorite). The fact that he casts spells is due to "divine intervention" where the god(s) protects thier worshipper.

I had a guy like this once, and he was killed by a coalition of good and neutral clerics for blasphemies and lies. He never did uncover the truth of his "lucky surviving skills".

brian c
2007-12-03, 12:23 AM
Repost alert. Incoming repost from the other sorcerer thread.

In case anyone is interested I've been mulling over a few alternative "how he got his powers" thoughts for sorcs (and if you go by PhB the sorcs could just be pretending to have powers via heritage).

X-man/What the hell I have magic - They're just pretty much freaks. The ability to cast magic kind of came out of left field. Maybe they're just lucky or unlucky, maybe they were born under the right stars. Whatever the case, they have magic and no idea where they got it.

Chosen one - The powers that be gifted the person with magic powers, or perhaps some crazy cult did it to bring about the end of the world. If it weren't for them being singled out by someone or something, they would have had normal lives.

"It runs in the family" - That whole dragon thing is just some BS made up to make sorcerers sound better. One of their parents was a sorcerer (maybe both), so now they are. In a world where magic is so pervasive that a drunk wizard can make a freaking Owlbear, who's to say that some series of genes dpesn't make one more sensitive to the ebb and flow of magic?

You too can be a sorcerer - This kind of sorcerer stumbled onto the dirty little secret of the class, you don't need to be born a sorcerer. They have opened their mind to new ways of thinking of magic and are slowly learning to bend reality through their will.

Repost you are cleared for landing, over.

My contribution:

Powerful hallucinogenic drugs unlock new and fantastic powers!

Or: Radiation!

AstralFire
2007-12-03, 12:27 AM
The sorcerer in question is actually just a commoner with a lot of faith in Boccob (or any god really, this guy is just my favorite). The fact that he casts spells is due to "divine intervention" where the god(s) protects thier worshipper.

I had a guy like this once, and he was killed by a coalition of good and neutral clerics for blasphemies and lies. He never did uncover the truth of his "lucky surviving skills".

Did the Clerics ever get thunderbolted for being idjits?

MisterSaturnine
2007-12-03, 12:28 AM
The character was the target of a powerful magical effect. This would somewhat harken to comic book radiation, or the Spelltouched feats. Maybe the character was hit with Dominate Person or a Lightning and, somehow, the magical energy rubbed off on him more than it should have. Maybe the same thing happened to his mother while she was pregnant with him. Maybe the guy in the party who is always targeted with specific buffs from his Wizard ally the magic has become a part of his body.

EDIT: By the way, I like the meat analogy, and I actually use it sometimes in reference to other things, albeit in a slightly different way. The bones is the character concept--for example, a Half-Orc Bard. Then you get to the muscle, the meat, whatever you want to call it (hell, "organs" works, too)--what is traditionally referred to as crunch, as it is what makes the character run, actually work out mechanically. Then the skin is what is referred to as fluff--it's what the character looks like, acts like, feels deep down and how he or she generally influences the skin. It doesn't have much effect on the insides, the bones and the meat (at least not conceptually), but it sure as hell is important. Not having skin is a painful ordeal.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-03, 12:51 AM
Mutation. If there's a part of your world that's particularly strong in magic, be it the convergence of leylines or an epic wizard's tomb or a floating island or some once-a-decade planar convergence or, heck, even a city that uses far more magic items than they have any right owning, the magic infuses the sorceror at birth, and they can cast a few spells innately.

AstralFire
2007-12-03, 12:58 AM
The character was the target of a powerful magical effect. This would somewhat harken to comic book radiation, or the Spelltouched feats. Maybe the character was hit with Dominate Person or a Lightning and, somehow, the magical energy rubbed off on him more than it should have. Maybe the same thing happened to his mother while she was pregnant with him. Maybe the guy in the party who is always targeted with specific buffs from his Wizard ally the magic has become a part of his body.

EDIT: By the way, I like the meat analogy, and I actually use it sometimes in reference to other things, albeit in a slightly different way. The bones is the character concept--for example, a Half-Orc Bard. Then you get to the muscle, the meat, whatever you want to call it (hell, "organs" works, too)--what is traditionally referred to as crunch, as it is what makes the character run, actually work out mechanically. Then the skin is what is referred to as fluff--it's what the character looks like, acts like, feels deep down and how he or she generally influences the skin. It doesn't have much effect on the insides, the bones and the meat (at least not conceptually), but it sure as hell is important. Not having skin is a painful ordeal.

I don't see many people who actually deride fluff's importance in an actually run game, just its importance in pre-manufactured parts of the mechanics. It kind of strikes me as unnecessary to go "well it's meat/skin/whatever." Fluff is used purely in a character-building mindset; I don't call the arching metaplot of my campaign 'fluff.' I do call information like the story of the Nine Swords fluff as it deals with the Eventide Edge, since it's non-pertinent to my campaign, and brief with no consequential and non-arbitrary bearing on the mechanics. Since the fluff doesn't fit, it gets swapped out with other fluff that is relevant.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-03, 05:13 AM
5) When the character was just a wee rascal, he fell off a cliff and landed in a pile of dragon manure.
Or he was bitten by a radioactive sorcerer.

Seriously, if you follow the blood thing, the sorcerer could be descendant of any kind of mystical creature.
Another option I could allow is for elves to become sorcerers, just because elves are magically inclined already. Maybe even have sorcerer as favored class.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-03, 07:46 AM
No reason it has to be inherent at all. It's just another (learned) method of working with magic.

Although I've grown to accept it with sorcerers to a certain extent, the concept of tying classes—which are generally purely learned skills—to "I was born that way" type heritage always bugged me. That kind of heritage is should be linked to Race or Template, not so much to Class.

senrath
2007-12-03, 07:52 AM
I like the idea that (some) sorcerors only have power due to them essentially being the plaything of some extradimensional being. Ie. They're granted powers and the being watches "as hilarity ensues."

BRC
2007-12-03, 08:19 AM
A wizard did it IMO

SpikeFightwicky
2007-12-03, 09:22 AM
6) One (or both) parents are powerful wizards. They find the possibility that their child may not want to pursue magic to be insulting, so some kind of magical process was researched to infuse the child, while still in the womb, with magical energy (which translates in game terms to being sorceror). End results: a kid that can manifest magic spells without the need of a spellbook -> forcing a magical fate onto the child whether or not they want to.

7) Kid was running around the local forest when they stumbled upon a strange cave. After their curiosity overwhelmed them, they entered the cave and fell into a glowing magical pool. The child was then infused with magical energy (i.e. received what it takes to be a sorcerer/ress). The cave has mysteriously vanished next time they try to find it.

Prometheus
2007-12-03, 01:01 PM
Mythical Story: Something like the gods gave arcane magic to mankind so that they would have an assemblance of autonomy and not be dominated by waring factions of clerics. OR Long ago a sneaky rogue stole the power of the gods. OR arcane magic is a remnant of the first great battle of the gods.

Wish: "I wish I was able to have innate magic powers." "Granted, you are able to (as is all of manking) but you happen not to have them. Also, your nemesis is currently using Charm Person on your wife and he doesn't even need to roll an opposed Charisma check."

Tiki Snakes
2007-12-03, 01:36 PM
I always prefered the David Eddings Solution to 'How do sorcerers gain their magical powers. The whole, 'Will and the Word' idea.

There is a great moment in Belgarath the Sorcerer, where he's trying to get past a great big rock, as a 'young' fellow. His mysterious patron instructs him to simply tell the rock to sod off (not in those exact words, of course), and so 'Garath' does, and the rock, duly, does also. Garath (not yet Belgarath) asks his patron what exactly just happened, and how he could have just done that.

His patron replies, more or less, the Rock is merely a Rock, whereas he is a Man.

The universe does as the Sorcerer commands it. Because He says so.

Aquillion
2007-12-03, 01:39 PM
"Are YOU tired of getting sand teleported into your face on the beach by full casting classes? Sick of being thrown around by Defenstrating Sphere? Do you find that the characters who can cast Charm Person get all the girls? Then Charles Elminster has the solution for you! Simply send us $15 now with a self-addressed self-stamped envelope, and we'll send you Charles Elminster's guide to intuitive magic. Poor literacy? No literacy? No problem! Charles Elminster's methods require no spellbooks or other magical writings at all! Simply unlock the potential within yourself, and show those Wiz 20s who's in charge!"

Note: Wizard 20s will still be in charge. Charles Elminster assumes no responsibility for any actions taken by Wizard 20s who are challenged using the results of his program. At least 20 levels are required for optimal results. Do not combine with multiclassing or PRCs that cost caster levels. Side effects may include reduced HD size, loss of BAB, limited skill points, reduced armor selection, and poor weapon/armor proficiencies.

Solo
2007-12-03, 03:38 PM
"The Schwartz is in you!"

psychoticbarber
2007-12-03, 03:48 PM
6) One (or both) parents are powerful wizards. They find the possibility that their child may not want to pursue magic to be insulting, so some kind of magical process was researched to infuse the child, while still in the womb, with magical energy (which translates in game terms to being sorceror). End results: a kid that can manifest magic spells without the need of a spellbook -> forcing a magical fate onto the child whether or not they want to.

I really, really like this idea. It would provide a whole world (well, not quite) of roleplaying options, for both characters and campaigns. Crazy Wizards are imprinting children with magic? Maybe we better go stop'em, that sounds dangerous...

MrNexx
2007-12-03, 04:24 PM
"Are YOU tired of getting sand teleported into your face on the beach by full casting classes? Sick of being thrown around by Defenstrating Sphere? Do you find that the characters who can cast Charm Person get all the girls? Then Charles Elminster has the solution for you! Simply send us $15 now with a self-addressed self-stamped envilope, and we'll send you Charles Elminster's guide to intuitive magic. Poor literacy? No literacy? No problem! Charles Elminster's methods require no spellbooks or other magical writings at all! Simply unlock the potential within yourself, and show those Wiz 20s who's in charge!"

Note: Wizard 20s will still be in charge. Charles Elminster assumes no responsibility for any actions taken by Wizard 20s who are challenged using the results of his program. At least 20 levels are required for optimal results. Do not combine with multiclassing or PRCs that cost caster levels. Side effects may include reduced HD size, loss of BAB, limited skill points, reduced armor selection, and poor weapon/armor proficiencies.

*chuckle* .

AstralFire
2007-12-03, 04:27 PM
I want to make a spell now:

"Atlas' Gold to Muscle."

You directly sacrifice gold daily for temporary boosts to Str and Cha.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-03, 04:28 PM
The character, instead of subverting the universe to his whims the way a wizard does, instead makes a minute pact with a spirit (a la an animist tradition) upon casting the spell (hence the need for material components in some cases), and the spirit casts the spell according to the sorceror's specifications.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-03, 05:04 PM
The target has an extrodinarily large pituitary gland.

Delusion Selection: The entire campaign setting is actually a delusion. Sorcerers are strong enough of mind to choose what they believe within the illusory world. As such, it happens (in the sense that the illusory world changes).

Tokiko Mima
2007-12-03, 06:06 PM
His parents were killed by a criminal, so he vowed to fight injustice where... oops, that's Wizard.

How about the sorcerer was a mundane who drank some rancid magic potion(s)?

Garatolla
2007-12-03, 06:34 PM
Spinach. Lots of spinach.

BRC
2007-12-03, 08:20 PM
How about this, anybody can be a sorceror, it's true, anybody has the power to maniuplate magic without all the mumbo-jumbo that wizards do. The whole dragon blood thing was made up by sorcerors so that people wouldn't figure it out, and they could remain special. Anybody who stumbles on it as they did, everybody assumes theyve got some dragon ancestry. Anybody who questions otherwise falls down some very sharp, flaming stairs.

deadseashoals
2007-12-03, 08:24 PM
After the gods of magic left in Dragonlance, sorcery was discovered as an alternate source of magic, and there was something about being able to learn how to tap into sorcerous power through one's own force of will.

Ganurath
2007-12-03, 08:39 PM
Crazy theory:

Not long ago there was a thread about the philosophies of an anti-religion faction and an anti-magic faction. No, not that kind of antimagic, then kind with the hyphen that means opposed to the practice of it. If I remember correctly, the latter group was concerned spellcasting had unforseen consequences. I say they were right.

Rewind back to before arcane magic. The only source of the arcane goodness were races that had it in their blood, meaning dragons. Don't touch that clicker, this theory's platonic! Anyhow, the concept is that as the dragons worked their magic to battle divine spellcasters, prey on the weak, and woo the dragonesses, it started leaving some trace, temporary ammounts of magic residue. Every once in a while, some of the residue would get into a community with a pregnant woman, and a sorceror was born.

Assuming a sorceror didn't get the same treatment as the blues do from goblins (magic without divine favor? fiend!) they would eventually advance in their skills in some degree. Some may even scribe scrolls so as to be able to throw more spells around. Now, imagine what a rogue with sufficient ranks in UMD could do with enough scrolls. That's right, the original Batman was a rogue.

Meanwhile, travelers and such who are willing to accept this new form of magic are awed and amazed by it, often asking questions of those who weave illusions and charms that divine spellcasters can only envy. The sorceror's attempts to explain the art seem futile, but every musician or so sees a medium in their music...

Long story short, we get the original core spellcasting classes, from which the other core classes branch (except the warlock, fiendish contracts did that stuff) and everything snowballs from there.

Tokiko Mima
2007-12-04, 11:00 AM
Crazy theory:

That's right, the original Batman was a rogue.

Crazy talk indeed!

Batman was a Wizard and you know it!! :smalltongue:

Ralfarius
2007-12-04, 11:19 AM
Anyone mentioned miracle cream, yet?

SilverClawShift
2007-12-04, 11:52 AM
What about the far realm, and the alien entities therein?

Something about your character (physically, mentally, spiritualy, born under the right configuration of stars, whatever) could cause you to be a prime object of attention for either specific far realm entities, or just the realm itself. Maybe you're just a naturally occuring key to the locks between this world and the next. Maybe you're one of a kind, or maybe there are a lot of you.

In that case, your magic isn't literally arcane magic in the same way a wizards is. When you 'cast a spell' you're literally just causing reality to break down as the laws of the far realm temporarily superimpose themselves on top of ours. The right spell selection could really, really drive that home as a character concept.

Also, bonus points if you become an Alienist.

... crap this could be a really good campaign in the making.