PDA

View Full Version : Gravewalker Witch Woes

Wonton64
2023-01-19, 11:16 AM
I love the Witch and I love necromancers, so I've fallen in love with the Gravewalker Witch. However, looking over the class, I noticed that it is missing 3 key spells integral to creating the best undead minions: Haste/Remove Paralysis and Desecrate.
Desecrate can be sidestepped easily enough with a voidsticks, but I'm not sure what can be done about the other two. What's a burgeoning necromancer witch to do? Invest in UMD and buy scrolls/wands? On a play style already splurging cash on onyx?

Interestingly, the Agility and Restoration patrons do grant the other two spells, but at levels where the Gravewalker archetype overrides the patron spell list.

Darg
2023-01-19, 12:37 PM
What about your party members? If the group doesn't have a source of haste already, the group as a whole might want to invest in attaining one which would benefit you too.

Remove paralysis wouldn't help against a zombie's staggered condition because it is a constant effect and would be immediately reapplied by the ability. You need an effect with a duration like freedom of movement for it to work.

Rynjin
2023-01-19, 01:23 PM
Haste I believe is Time patron exclusive for Witches, and Gravewalker replaces the level where you'd get it anyway unfortunately. That makes things harder.

Most of the ways to get off-class spells for full casters are determined at character creation in Pathfinder. It's either class-based like being a Shaman with the Lore Spirit (Wandering or otherwise), or race-based like the Samsaran Mystic Past Life.

I don't remember, can Haste or Remove Paralysis be provided at casting or do they have to be known to the caster? If the former, you could use a wand or scroll to make your Fast Zombies etc.

Edit: it's the former, you're good. It just needs to be cast at creation, by the creator. So wand or scroll works.

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-21, 07:49 AM
This sounds like a pathfinder thing. Are you allowed any 3.5 stuff? If so look up the drake helm from Eberron. That should snag you up to 4 spells off any list.

Robster
2023-01-21, 08:10 AM
This sounds like a pathfinder thing. Are you allowed any 3.5 stuff? If so look up the drake helm from Eberron. That should snag you up to 4 spells off any list.

I think that would require more homebrew adaptation than merely importing the item. Iirc those helmets explicitly only work for spontaneous casters, and witches have to prepare their spells.