PDA

View Full Version : best old west rp setting?

alexi
2007-12-03, 12:02 AM
looking to run a weird west style game (not american west, some other world that just is like the american west) whats a good system to use?

Swordguy
2007-12-03, 01:05 AM
Pinnacle's Deadlands is quite good if you can find a copy. It's a little more than the old west (the "weird west", actually), but it's a superb gaming experience.

clericwithnogod
2007-12-03, 08:16 AM
1st Edition AD&D has conversions for Boot Hill and Gamma World, which would let you cover pretty much every aspect of weird west.

Darrin
2007-12-03, 08:30 AM
Pinnacle's Deadlands is quite good if you can find a copy. It's a little more than the old west (the "weird west", actually), but it's a superb gaming experience.

Seconded. You really don't need to look any further than Deadlands, it's a superb RPG oozing with a lot of great ideas. There's even a d20 version if yer cowpokes cain't handle poker cards an' chips.

GolemsVoice
2007-12-03, 09:12 AM
Yay deadlands! Though I only played it once, it made a lasting impression on me. There's everything you need, weird science, broody preachers, evil indians, shootists, sheriffs, trains, robberies, and, it's even ladden with fantasy elements like ghosts and playing cards with demons for spells. And it's a RPG that doesn't take itself to serious.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-03, 09:13 AM
Another vote for Deadlands.

Wolf53226
2007-12-03, 09:30 AM
Yup, Deadlands...Excellent game and universe. Haven't played the d20 version, but Pinnacle revised edition was quite good.

Renx
2007-12-03, 09:33 AM
Cattlepunk, definitely.

mwp1138
2007-12-07, 09:16 AM
Yeah, for a Weird West setting I'd have to vote Deadlands (though personally, I prefer the classic version over the newer ones).

There's no magic, only an alternate history, but I have to also pimp Aces & Eights: the Shattered Frontier (http://www.kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/). :)

Hyozo
2007-12-07, 09:31 AM
SillverClawShift's homebrew world The Dustlands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46752) is still in progress, but it looks great so far.

Sleet
2007-12-07, 09:37 AM
One of my favorite games these days is Dogs in the Vineyard, which is by default set in an odd subset of the Old West. (The PCs are a combination of pseudo-Mormon priests and lawmen. It sounds weird, but it rocks on toast.) The drawback with it is that it's not the most versatile system around - it works very well for a certain type of game, but it's not a general RPG system good for a standard adventuring party focused game.

technophile
2007-12-07, 09:39 AM
Deadlands classic is an incredible setting, and the rules are interesting if your players are used to D&D or other D20.

Deadlands d20 is easier to find and the setting is still great. :smallwink:

Kronk
2007-12-07, 09:45 AM
I have to put in a plug for my friend here:

Sidewinder: Recoiled (http://www.doghouserules.net/)

I've never been able to get a group together to play, but it did win an ENnie in 2004.

You can get a free preview online and try it out.

I have played and enjoyed Deadlands too.

I played a weird west version of AFMBE (All Flesh Must Be Eaten) that was pretty cool.

Fhaolan
2007-12-07, 11:57 AM
I have fond memories of Boot Hill. 'Course I had the same fond memories for Star Frontiers, Top Secret, and the original Cyberpunk game. It was probably more the people I was playing with than the system.

Sleet
2007-12-07, 01:00 PM
'Course I had the same fond memories for Star Frontiers...

Now, there was a fun game. Not a good game (the mechanics kind of suck), but a fun game. Wild West in space.

Lolth
2007-12-07, 03:04 PM
Another fond call for Deadlands Classic. :)

I think the d20 version was a pale, sad imitation.

And yay Star Frontiers! And the original Top Secret, with its torture chart.

Telonius
2007-12-07, 03:12 PM
I've only seen the rulebook, not any playtime; but Deadlands impressed me greatly. You could probably run a decent "Dark Tower"-ish campaign in it if you really wanted to.

ALOR
2007-12-07, 04:37 PM
Deadlands is exactly what you want. The character creation system alone is worth having the original system. :smallbiggrin:

Jayabalard
2007-12-07, 05:36 PM
deadlands is a good setting, but it may not be exactly what you want. There's a huge difference between the old west and the weird west.

While I haven't run an old west game in it, GURPS could work nicely, especially if what you want is something a little more "normal" than deadlands.