PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick: November I

Pages : [1] 2 3

GreyRat
2005-11-01, 10:49 AM
And... Engage. ;D

I like the backlit look. That's always a bad sign for whoever sees it...

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2005-11-01, 11:32 AM
Yeah, "backlighting" pretty much always means "ass-kicking".

Malachi, the Lich King
2005-11-01, 12:18 PM
The gang is due a real throw-down anyway. Let the dice fall where they may!

WhiteMonkey
2005-11-01, 03:17 PM
Heh, Quite a Charlie's angels moment!

Classic.

WampaX
2005-11-01, 05:07 PM

Do I detect a "Hoody-Hoo" or perhapse a "Roll for initiative, monkey-boy" in there? ;D

Malachi, the Lich King
2005-11-01, 05:12 PM
Do I detect a "Hoody-Hoo" or perhapse a "Roll for initiative, monkey-boy" in there? ;D

Please, the proper term is screen monkey..... Oops, gave myself away there.... ;)

c_olsen73
2005-11-01, 06:26 PM
Definitley. Dig the "We've come to kick your ass" look. I would've liked to see Elan somehow ruin this really cool dramatic moment, maybe by a ridiculous song or something though...

Venom91
2005-11-01, 06:44 PM
I want to see them meet with those evil dudes again. The evil order of the stick. This ebsite needs a bios page.

Kadi
2005-11-01, 11:18 PM
The Linear Guild.

Jades
2005-11-02, 02:02 AM
Cast of the Linear Guild

Nale: Head of the Linear Guild, and Elan's twin brother. Raised by their father (an evil warlord), Nale was taught that Bards are underpowered. It wasn't until Elan pointed out that it was needlessly complicated; so Nale trained as a Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer. His goals of world domination began with the recovery of Dorukon's Amulet, which was destroyed before he could escape. Lawful Evil.

Sabine: Sabine was sent by the Abyss to help groom Nale into the tyrant he could become. We dont' know what kills her.

Thog: Half-Orc ?Barbarian/2 Fighter, likes puppies, and will give up againts pretty ladies.

Sc00by
2005-11-02, 04:11 AM
Thog likes Ice cream too - this could be important... ;)

Aeek
2005-11-02, 05:57 AM
Thog likes Ice cream too - this could be important... ;)

and puppies; Belkar has a riding puppy...

Elethiomel
2005-11-02, 07:11 AM
Thog: Half-Orc ?Barbarian/2 Fighter, likes puppies, and will give up againts pretty ladies.

For a certain definition of "pretty".

There was also Hilgya, though I suppose she's no longer in with the Linear Guild, and Yikyik, though he is now a hat. And there was ZZ'dtri, but he was a violation of a certain fantasy author's intellectual property. So yes, now only Nale, Sabine, and Thog are left. But if I know evil min/maxers (Nale, who was taught Bards were underpowered) correctly, they'll have recruited another cleric. Nobody goes without a cleric for long.

Ilover_Juventad
2005-11-02, 07:20 AM
*sniffle* Lucky dwarf clerics...reminds me of the old days...I bet their next cleric'll be a- wait, I think their next 'cleric' might be a druid.

-IJ

Flak_Razorwill
2005-11-02, 09:26 AM

Like the man said, "It is time to kick ass, and chew bubble gum; and I am all out of gum!"

Flippy
2005-11-02, 09:48 AM
Just felt like making a few additions.

Cast of the Linear Guild

Nale: Head of the Linear Guild, and Elan's twin brother. Raised by their father (an evil warlord), Nale was taught that Bards are underpowered. It wasn't until Elan pointed out that it was needlessly complicated; so Nale trained as a Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer. He was hired by Xykon to kill the Order of the Stick. His goals of world domination began with the recovery of Dorukon's Amulet, which was destroyed before he could escape. Made Elan into the person with the hamster-intellect he now is by continuously slapping him on the had as a baby. Lawful Evil.

Sabine: Sabine was sent by the Abyss to help groom Nale into the tyrant he could become. We dont' know what kills her. Probably Lafwul Evil, which Haley from the beginning on suspected cause Sabine was wearing red leather. She's supposed to be some kind of twin to Haley

Thog: Half-Orc ?Barbarian/2 Fighter, likes puppies, and will give up againts pretty ladies. Like most Half-Orcs, not too smart. He's supposed to be some kind of twin to Roy

Ex-Members

Hilgya Firehelm, dwarven party cleric, worships Loki. Left the party when she fell down when Zz'Dtri's flying spell was broken. After that she had a relationship for a day with Durkon, but they broke up when it turned out that she ran away from the dwarven lands cause she was married. She's supposed to be some kind of twin to Durkon

Zz'Dtri, Drow Wizard. His/Her name is a shameless parody of Drizzt Dro'Urden, what he/she will get taken away for out of the comic by some lawyers. He/She wears scimitars, and he's probably the only entity who can beat Vaarsuvius in combat. He/She's supposed to be some kind of twin to V.

Yikyik, Kobold ranger. He didn't say much, except insults to Belkar. They hate one another, even though they probably share the same alignment(Chaotic Evil). In the end he gets turned into a hat by Belkar.

The Giant
2005-11-02, 10:13 AM
New comic is up.

Nikolai_II
2005-11-02, 10:21 AM
Must be some obscure prestige class...

;D ;D ;D

and did I say ;D as well ;D ;D

2005-11-02, 10:21 AM
"You go girl!"

Sweeeet.

Malachi, the Lich King
2005-11-02, 10:24 AM
Hee-hee. WHORE ATTACK! Sundering the gun was cool too. I wonder if Belkar is wandering back from the stables right about now.....

Silverblaze
2005-11-02, 10:26 AM
And here is the true glory of Elan's masterplan - he failed his song on purpose so that all the guests (save one) is safely INSIDE with the villians OUTSIDE ;D

Korppis
2005-11-02, 10:33 AM
Hilgya Firehelm, dwarven party cleric, worships Loki. Left the party when she fell down when Zz'Dtri's flying spell was broken. After that she had a relationship for a day with Durkon, but they broke up when it turned out that she ran away from the dwarven lands cause she was married. She's supposed to be some kind of twin to Durkon

Durgon and Hilgya did also "do the dirty" with each other. Just wondering... might she be pregnant by now :P

OldFart
2005-11-02, 10:40 AM
Coming soon on FOX - "When Whores Attack!!" :D

coredump
2005-11-02, 10:41 AM
Maybe it will happen next comic, but I *really* think Roy's dress should have come up over his head. :)

RebelRogue
2005-11-02, 10:42 AM
"Must be some obscure prestige class..." must be one of the best lines in quite some time, oh my!

However, I get the feeling that the "You go girl!" thing is a reference I don't get. Any helpers???

Amalthea
2005-11-02, 11:05 AM
Durkon's hammer and shield are pretty stout, the shield stopped a shot, and the hammer sundered the barrel of that pistol like it was an empty soda can.

And OotS has the best onomatopoeia ever. Skeezy. Crssh. Teeysh. Those shurikens binking against Protection from Arrows just made my day!

Silverblaze
2005-11-02, 11:17 AM
Pretty cool that the mop actually stays on Roys head during the entire thing - including the jump out the window ;D

Omellette
2005-11-02, 11:18 AM
Haha!

My favorite bit is how V calls Roy "Sir Greenhilt", despite the skirt, et al, as though nothing has changed!

If that's not the most subtle gender-ambiguity reference, I don't know what is...

:-D

NEO|Phyte
2005-11-02, 11:26 AM
:D

RebelRogue
2005-11-02, 11:32 AM
And OotS has the best onomatopoeia ever. Skeezy. Crssh. Teeysh.
Not to mention 'Sunder' ;)

Sundog
2005-11-02, 11:39 AM
That wasnt a 'sunder', it was more of a 'squish'! What was that gun made of, tinfoil?

I just find it hard to get past the disbelief of the shadowdancer. "Did you say whore attack?" Classic.

Sebastian
2005-11-02, 11:40 AM
But wouldn't the villains now being able to see Roy's panties?

Er... she is wearing panties, right?!

OrigamiWolf
2005-11-02, 11:43 AM
Pretty cool that the mop actually stays on Roys head during the entire thing - including the jump out the window ;D

Cannot...resist...physics...urge...

The value of g is the same for all objects, as Galileo showed a few centuries ago. Hence, in the absence of air drag and buoyancy, all things fall at the same rate.

Mops are usually wet and sticky, especially if left in a closed cupboard. As the female of the household, I can testify to that. ;D The air drag of a wet mop is probably about the same as Roy's - or even less, if you assume the dress/cloak works like a parachute.

Hence, the mop would naturally stay on during the fall.

DeathQuaker
2005-11-02, 11:43 AM
Durgon and Hilgya did also "do the dirty" with each other. Just wondering... might she be pregnant by now :P

What?? They kissed. I don't think there was any indication they did anything beyond that.

And then Ommellette said...

My favorite bit is how V calls Roy "Sir Greenhilt", despite the skirt, et al, as though nothing has changed!

If that's not the most subtle gender-ambiguity reference, I don't know what is...

Not necessarily. Although it is entirely possible V still has no idea that Roy has changed, she (take that as you will) may also be aware but be being "politically correct," if you will. After all, with transgendered persons, it's preferred to call them by the gender they identify as, not the gender they might physically be. Roy STILL identifies himself as a man, I think, even if he is currently physically female.

Although, you could also twist that to add to V's gender ambiguity anyway, since if she's being PC about gender identity, she might have reason to be sensitive about it... ;) (This is ALL for the sake of argument, mind you. I think V either doesn't know Roy's changed or doesn't care.)

Now, I'm off to design the magic-wielding hooker PrC...

DeathQuaker
2005-11-02, 11:45 AM
However, I get the feeling that the "You go girl!" thing is a reference I don't get. Any helpers???

An American idiomatic expression. It's really not that important.

Kulatu
2005-11-02, 11:50 AM
What?? They kissed. I don't think there was any indication they did anything beyond that.

Then you had best read this again. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=82)

That combined with This (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=83) definitely seems to have it nipped in the bud.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-11-02, 11:54 AM
I really enjoyed how V still calls him Sir. Greenhilt ;D

The Prince of Cats
2005-11-02, 11:55 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=82

It mentions sex...

Amalthea
2005-11-02, 12:09 PM
Not to mention 'Sunder' ;)

'Bink' is my personal favorite. ;D

Devoured_Dude
2005-11-02, 12:14 PM
FYI, Mr. Shadowdancer: in the kingdom of Nowhere, getting one rubbed out by magic-wielding hookers is a whopping 187 GP.

Add 300 GP for masterwork. ;D

AtomicKitKat
2005-11-02, 12:17 PM
Heh, that's some pretty bad-ass symbolism there, with the crushing of that dwarf's dwarfhood gun.

As for onometa onom words that are pronounced like the sounds they represent, "Bink" is not that obscure(Brother and I have been using it for years to represent the sound coins make when bounced off each others' facial appliances/foreheads) Still, they're nice sound words.

Gleanerizer
2005-11-02, 12:18 PM
I love V's expression in the first panel. She was so ready to kick ass an instant ago... now she looks all disappointed. :D

DeathQuaker
2005-11-02, 01:00 PM
Then you had best read this again. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=82)

Whoops! Can't believe I forgot that. Forgive me, my mistake. :)

GreyRat
2005-11-02, 01:57 PM
However, I get the feeling that the "You go girl!" thing is a reference I don't get. Any helpers?
An American idiomatic expression. It's really not that important.
Usually, it's used by women to cheer each other on, in a show of gender solidarity. I believe that's why Roy takes such offense to it; he doesn't *want* to be solid with the female gender.
And Haley is just having waaaay too much fun with Roy's annoyance. ;D

Silmarwen
2005-11-02, 02:14 PM
I'm I the only one who noticed that at 3rd panel, 2nd row, the bubble "screw this...hookers" has no pointy thing to point to the person who is speaking?

hsoj
2005-11-02, 02:43 PM
This is a few days in a row now that Belkar hasn't shown up again... where is my favorite little ranger?!

Lilly
2005-11-02, 02:54 PM
Heehee, that was funny...

Did V's feather fall not take? Roy isn't glowing pink like the last time feather fall was used (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=180).

Sylvius
2005-11-02, 03:00 PM
Protection from Arrows
(Which, incidentally, works equallty well against shuriken.)

Isn't that evidence that they should have just left the name as Protection from Normal Missiles?

Kulatu
2005-11-02, 03:09 PM
Whoops! Can't believe I forgot that. Forgive me, my mistake. :)

Just pointing it out, 'tis no big deal. :)

moryath
2005-11-02, 03:16 PM
Wow, an arquebus!

Rich really pulled out all the stops on that one. Of course, if they're carrying TNT/Black Powder, having an arquebus is probably about right.

Devils_Advocate
2005-11-02, 03:19 PM
Sabine: Sabine was sent by the Abyss to help groom Nale into the tyrant he could become. We dont' know what kills her. Probably Lafwul Evil, which Haley from the beginning on suspected cause Sabine was wearing red leather. She's supposed to be some kind of twin to Haley.
No, if she's Lawful Evil, she would be a devil from Baator (if I've got that right), and if she's Chaotic Evil, she'd be a demon from the Abyss. Her energy-draining and shapechanging abilities suggest that she's a succubus, a type of demon, but the fact that she's working with Nale, and evidently on orders from superiors, suggest that she might be Lawful Evil, and thus a devil, instead. Like Haley, we don't know for sure, since we don't know which arrow hurt her. (Incidentally, several demons and devils are vulnerable to good instead of special metal, so Haley was lucky in that regard.)

'Tis a colloquialism that expresses approval, admiration, or encouragement. Compare "You da man!"

Now, I'm off to design the magic-wielding hooker PrC...
I'm pretty sure the Book of Erotic Fantasy actually has something like that. (I'm not 100% sure on that, but frankly, the odds are in my favor.)

It's interesting that Vaarsuvius is just standing there in the first panel, apparently waiting to cast spells as the need arises. Perhaps V isn't just bringing out the arcane firepower straight away due to being low on spells? I don't think (s)he's had a chance for sufficient rest since the encounters with Miko and then the ogres. Then again, maybe V just made the Spot check to notice that, oh, there are explosives lying around, so, y'know, be careful about that.

The top speech bubble in the fifth panel is missing the little triangular thing that shows who it's coming from (I'm guessing the Shadowdancer, not the dwarf). EDIT: Oops, I missed that someone already pointed this out.

Grey Watcher
2005-11-02, 03:37 PM
I'm I the only one who noticed that at 3rd panel, 2nd row, the bubble "screw this...hookers" has no pointy thing to point to the person who is speaking?

Nope, I noticed it, too. I assumed it was the dwarf, but on second thought, I think it's the Shadowdancer... Hmmm...

I LIKE the Shadowdancer, I hope he survives. "That will be nice and symmetrical, seeing as how you got us INTO this," is such a great line! ;D ;D

DarkMonkey
2005-11-02, 04:01 PM
Great comic, but I have a nitpick.

In the second panel, the arrow that was stuck in the dwarf's side has dissapeared.

Wally
2005-11-02, 04:11 PM
For the Magic-Weilding Hooker PrC, I'd assume you'd need levels in Rouge right?

Devoured_Dude
2005-11-02, 04:29 PM

I would think some rather specific ranks in Perform would be a prerequisite.
::)

Eriol
2005-11-02, 05:03 PM
At first i thought that was the classic mis-spell, then I got it.

Nicely done.

Hurrikaani
2005-11-02, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the Book of Erotic Fantasy actually has something like that. (I'm not 100% sure on that, but frankly, the odds are in my favor.)

Actually there seems to be class called Sacred Prostitute according this review of the said book.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9982.phtml

SirAnon
2005-11-02, 06:47 PM
anyone in the d20 modern setting with protection from arrows is nih onto a god, because magical guns are uber rare and guns are about the most prolific weapon. A baseball bat up side the head on the other hand is anouther matter.

Winged One
2005-11-02, 07:16 PM
"Whore" seems to have been taken off of the filtered word list in homage to today's comic...

Also, magic-wielding hooker is more of a style of female sorcerer RPing, IMO. See also: Samantha.

manscatha
2005-11-02, 07:26 PM
Also, magic-wielding hooker is more of a style of female sorcerer RPing, IMO. See also: Samantha.

But Samantha is in no way a hooker! She's just sexually motivated to the point where it clouds her judgement (kidnapping men she fancies is hardly a reasonable use of a bandit clan.) Much like the dwarven assassin himself, in fact.

Just imagine if Samantha were a man who had kidnapped not Elan, but Haley. Would you call such a man a hooker?

More on topic, I just love how V goes out of the way to explain why the Protection spell should work.

evileeyore
2005-11-02, 07:40 PM
I can't believe no one has commented on this one salient feature:

Vaarsuvius uses Out Of Character knowledge! Of all the power gamery, min-maxery, cheese-monkeyry things to do! Aaaaagggggghhhh! I hat on this one the mostest!

How else could V have known to cast Prot from Arrows in advance! The player is a cheater!

Arrrggghhh!--EvilE

This is not meant as a serious post in anyway shape or form.

moryath
2005-11-02, 07:41 PM
Heehee, that was funny...

Did V's feather fall not take? Roy isn't glowing pink like the last time feather fall was used (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=180).

More likely, V's feather fall was targeted on either the Dwarf or the Shadowdancer (most likely the Dwarf). Thus deliberately slowing their fall and allowing Roy to catch up...

manscatha
2005-11-02, 08:54 PM
I can't believe no one has commented on this one salient feature:

Vaarsuvius uses Out Of Character knowledge! Of all the power gamery, min-maxery, cheese-monkeyry things to do! Aaaaagggggghhhh! I hat on this one the mostest!

How else could V have known to cast Prot from Arrows in advance! The player is a cheater!

I am no expert on DnD, but couldn't V have decided to wait until attacked and cast the spell then?

Although now that I think about it, I am not sure why you consider casting Prot from Arrows in advance to be based on OOC knowledge. It's a very reasonable buff for a spellcaster, especially one whose teammate has just been injured by poisoned shuriken. (I know V doesn't normally buff, but I am guessing the elf has a really low con and so would be very worried by that particular poison.)

Nightfall
2005-11-02, 09:04 PM
Maybe it will happen next comic, but I *really* think Roy's dress should have come up over his head. :)

V feather falled...feather felled? Royanna, so the dress might not have enough "lift" to come up that high. To the knees, maybe. And if Elan's cloak-turned-skirt is made of wool, there's a lot of weight there. A gentle drift of wind from a feather fall wouldn't be enough to lift heavy material like that. Trust me. I know fabric.

Elethiomel
2005-11-02, 09:04 PM
I am no expert on DnD, but couldn't V have decided to wait until attacked and cast the spell then?

Not unless V specifically readied an action to "cast Protection from Arrows if someone uses missile weapons against me".

But yes, it's very funny how V explains why the spell works against shuriken, too.

Nightfall
2005-11-02, 09:43 PM

Nah, the feat "Great Cleavage" should just about cover it. ;)

Ilover_Juventad
2005-11-02, 09:50 PM
Noooo! Stupid protection from arrows spell!

-IJ

Eloco
2005-11-03, 01:54 AM
Ive got a bad feeling about leaping out a window with a barrel of TnT, a very bad feeling!

Xander77
2005-11-03, 05:50 AM
But yes, it's very funny how V explains why the spell works against shuriken, too.
Is it just me, or does that feel like Rich pre-empting any boards debate about this?

Devoured_Dude
2005-11-03, 09:26 AM
Is it just me, or does that feel like Rich pre-empting any boards debate about this?

It's a safe bet, for all the good it did him.

My take on the shuriken/protection from arrows sequence is that V's initiative was between the dwarf and the shadowdancer. V heard the dwarf call for missile weapons, cast the spell on his/her action, and was immune to the oncoming volley.

It would alternately be sensible to assume that V prepared for combat with a few handy abjurations before the door was kicked in.

evileeyore
2005-11-03, 09:42 AM
It's a safe bet, for all the good it did him.

My take on the shuriken/protection from arrows sequence is that V's initiative was between the dwarf and the shadowdancer. V heard the dwarf call for missile weapons, cast the spell on his/her action, and was immune to the oncoming volley.

It would alternately be sensible to assume that V prepared for combat with a few handy abjurations before the door was kicked in.
Oh I agree. My current D&D character (an Elven Wizared Generalist) does exactly that. Then I stand around a few rounds using Intimidate (calling them names, etc) to draw Arrow fire from our enemies.

Its about all I was good for until 3rd level. Now its all about 3 Fireballs a day baby...

ScreamerSimon
2005-11-03, 10:40 AM
So it is exactly another 120 strips since "Dungeon Crawling Fools", I can't wait for a catharsis in the story arc, so the third book might come out.

ref
2005-11-03, 01:52 PM
Not unless V specifically readied an action to "cast Protection from Arrows if someone uses missile weapons against me".

Quicken Spell.

Grey Watcher
2005-11-03, 01:56 PM
Quicken Spell.

Quicken Spell doesn't let you cast a spell when it's not your turn. I think Devoured Dude's theory is the best I've heard so far.

And I can't wait to see what Belkar's been up to. ;D

Tanaar
2005-11-03, 02:07 PM
I think the most reasonable situation was that V had it either readied as an action or even cast it before-hand. They know that the shadowdancer uses shuriken, as he used them against Roy and Elan earlier (remember the multiple strips about Elan being poisoned? That was a big deal, and they're not likely to forget it quickly). They knew going in that shuriken were likely to be thrown at them.

An initiative between the dwarf's and the shadowdancer's would work as well.

Also, could someone explain the bit about 'nice and symmetrical?' I didnt get that. Caught me off-guard, too, as its I think the first time I've not gotten a joke from OotS

enigma
2005-11-03, 02:59 PM
Also, could someone explain the bit about 'nice and symmetrical?' I didnt get that. Caught me off-guard, too, as its I think the first time I've not gotten a joke from OotS
I think it's just an annoyed comment from the shadowdancer telling the dwarf- you got us into this, you better get us out of it. Evens up the score.

Enigma

Nixie
2005-11-03, 04:04 PM
It wopuld be silly for V to cast feather fall on the dwarf or SD b/c in D&D, you fall any m\amount of speed in a turn, therefore, if V were to cast it on the dwarf or SD, it would have no effect.

[EDIT] I just read the feather fall spell. I am wrong. Maybe s/he did cast it on the Dwarf/SD a assume V is high enough to get both....

2005-11-03, 04:10 PM
I was thinking that V just cast as the strip ended, so She-Roy just hasn't started glowing quite yet.

Tzor
2005-11-03, 04:38 PM
Perhaps I might have missed it, but I still get the feeling of an old fart easter egg in the last few strips.

I'm getting this "Charlie's Angels" feeing. ;D

manscatha
2005-11-03, 08:35 PM
I think it's just an annoyed comment from the shadowdancer telling the dwarf- you got us into this, you better get us out of it. Evens up the score.

Enigma

Not quite. There's still the emotional damage...

phlip
2005-11-03, 09:02 PM
There's no reason for V to cast FF on the dwarf/shadowdancer - they're hanging from a rope, not falling.

Silverblaze
2005-11-04, 05:51 AM
There's no reason for V to cast FF on the dwarf/shadowdancer - they're hanging from a rope, not falling.

The reason might be for Fair Helen of Roy to catch up with said villians and become part of the FF spell when in range (if such is possible with the FF - don't remember). In that manner the dynamite duo won't have the chance to run away while Roy is "stuck in midair" - FF'ing down...

Lolletzor
2005-11-04, 07:26 AM
Great comic!

maxon
2005-11-04, 07:58 AM
The reason might be for Fair Helen of Roy to catch up with said villians and become part of the FF spell when in range (if such is possible with the FF - don't remember). In that manner the dynamite duo won't have the chance to run away while Roy is "stuck in midair" - FF'ing down...

I thought Rowena just asked for it to be cast (on him-her-whatever self) just so that, you know, he didn't go splat when he hit the ground. He's falling from a great height - at least 3 floors (there are five floors in the main building of the hotel (strip 224) and there is at least one floor above them.

Was that anal enough?

tinsmith
2005-11-04, 09:41 AM
I thought Rowena just asked for it to be cast (on him-her-whatever self) just so that, you know, he didn't go splat when he hit the ground. He's falling from a great height - at least 3 floors (there are five floors in the main building of the hotel (strip 224) and there is at least one floor above them.

Ahhh - but strip 235 has the dwarf telling fair Roy to meet him in room 608... looks like someone failed their continuity check, eh? ;)

Tinsmith

Grey Watcher
2005-11-04, 09:57 AM
Ahhh - but strip 235 has the dwarf telling fair Roy to meet him in room 608... looks like someone failed their continuity check, eh? ;)

Tinsmith

Not necessasarily. Maybe there are more than a hundred rooms per floor. ;D

Silverblaze
2005-11-04, 09:59 AM

Was that anal enough?

Indeed - that seems a very obvious plan - Still, that would give the villains time to escape, whereas the other plan would allow Royette to catch up with them. It might be V's initiative - after all hir IQ is 18+ and the noble elf is not at all adverse to a cunning plan (unless it entail hir to be called "elf" and be bossed around ;D )

Shorty_the_Kobold
2005-11-04, 10:48 AM
Indeed - that seems a very obvious plan - Still, that would give the villains time to escape, whereas the other plan would allow Royette to catch up with them. It might be V's initiative - after all hir IQ is 18+ and the noble elf is not at all adverse to a cunning plan (unless it entail hir to be called "elf" and be bossed around ;D )
Man, V's an idiot. I mean, 18 IQ? ;)

Geech000
2005-11-04, 10:54 AM
I think the most reasonable situation was that V had it either readied as an action or even cast it before-hand. They know that the shadowdancer uses shuriken, as he used them against Roy and Elan earlier (remember the multiple strips about Elan being poisoned? That was a big deal, and they're not likely to forget it quickly). They knew going in that shuriken were likely to be thrown at them.

The only problem I have with PfA having been cast before is that it appears he is casting it in that panel, his hand is all glowy and stuff.

I'm guessing the FF was cast on Royetta. It looks like the rope the SD had attached has already gone taunt, indicating they are a fair ways ahead.

Just what is the SD's grappling hook attached to? The closed window? I don't think that would hold very well.

Jarawara
2005-11-04, 10:58 AM
I just noticed something while looking at the Wednesday comic.

Frame 2, Roy (or Royina?) sunders the Dwarf's Gun. In Frame 3, while the Dwarf is holding the sundered gun, telling his buddy to toss those little stars of his...

...there's an extra hand, coming from off-screen, reaching out to grab the sundered gun!

Frame 5, Ninja and Dwarf are heading out the window, the gun is missing. Where is the gun - who has it - and can it be fixed?

RawBearNYC
2005-11-04, 11:13 AM

Was that anal enough?

Not anal enough.

In strip 224 you can only see the front of the Hotel. What you can't see is that the Hill on which the hotel sits drops off sharply past the edge of the visible wall of the hotel. So, the road that we see leads to an entrance, but there are surely floors above and below the entrance level.

Geech000
2005-11-04, 11:20 AM

Frame 2, Roy (or Royina?) sunders the Dwarf's Gun. In Frame 3, while the Dwarf is holding the sundered gun, telling his buddy to toss those little stars of his...

...there's an extra hand, coming from off-screen, reaching out to grab the sundered gun!

Frame 5, Ninja and Dwarf are heading out the window, the gun is missing. Where is the gun - who has it - and can it be fixed?

I think that is the gun's trigger, not a hand. It just looks like one when combined with the outline of the window. Perhaps if he were to raise his arm a little more, it would fix the misperception. My guess is that he dropped the gun so he could grab his keg of TNT.

tinsmith
2005-11-04, 11:25 AM
Okay, the hotel is really long and we're only looking at it edge-on, so there's lots more than a hundred rooms per floor. So room 608 can be on the third or fourth floor, and the universe is properly balanced. ;)

That should be plenty anal enough.

In strip 224 you can only see the front of the Hotel. What you can't see is that the Hill on which the hotel sits drops off sharply past the edge of the visible wall of the hotel. So, the road that we see leads to an entrance, but there are surely floors above and below the entrance level.

Oh, but to make matters worse? That precipice you mention, that the hotel sits on? We've seen it before... in strip 197: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=197

;D

tinsmith

Master_of_Dragons
2005-11-04, 11:32 AM

Hi,

that's just an illusion :) The 'arm' is the outline of the window and the 'hand' ist really the gun's trigger. But one might really mistake it for a hand... ::)

Master of Dragons

DAMN! Geech Handler was faster than me :'(

moryath
2005-11-04, 12:48 PM
Rechecking the drawing, they're clearly not climbing DOWN the rope, but rather it's tied around the shadowdancer and being used as a bungee.

I stand by my analysis. V cast feather fall on the shadowdancer and explosives dwarf in order to slow their fall and allow Roy to catch up.

Duraska
2005-11-04, 12:54 PM
Why doesnt roy/haley/V just cut the rope? the bad guys fall, maybe explode, everyone has margaritas. It's not like our heroes need to question these guys (unless they then plan on traveling to the middle of "nowhere" and telling the King of the plot). So cut the rope... let 'em fall.

(or, have V cast flame arrow on the end of the rope and ignite it ...or is flame arrow "magic" damage? Bah, can't remember. Anyway, two fools scrambling to quickly climb down a burning rope is hilarious ...especially when one of them is clutching a barrel of explosives). ;D

King_Troll
2005-11-04, 01:04 PM
Why doesnt roy/haley/V just cut the rope? the bad guys fall, maybe explode, everyone has margaritas. It's not like our heroes need to question these guys (unless they then plan on traveling to the middle of "nowhere" and telling the King of the plot). So cut the rope... let 'em fall.

(or, have V cast flame arrow on the end of the rope and ignite it ...or is flame arrow "magic" damage? Bah, can't remember. Anyway, two fools scrambling to quickly climb down a burning rope is hilarious ...especially when one of them is clutching a barrel of explosives). ;D

There may be "innocents" down below that they would not want to harm. Now if Belkar were there, that'd be a different story.

RawBearNYC
2005-11-04, 01:13 PM

You're forgetting about the guy down there waiting for pudding.

The Giant
2005-11-04, 01:25 PM
The comic is up.

Malachi, the Lich King
2005-11-04, 01:28 PM
HA! Knew that Belkar was going to have an immediate effect once they were outside and on the ground.

Interesting, guess Roy having been around Durkon for years gave him some insight on dwarven mindset.

kinder
2005-11-04, 01:28 PM

Maybe he just wants to vent the old fashioned way. You know, by beating the crap outta something. ;D

Lilly
2005-11-04, 01:31 PM
Who ordered the psychotic halfling?

Elan's "the kid"? Roy did grow a sense motive!

hsoj
2005-11-04, 01:36 PM
Belkar!!! :D

no quotable quotes from him though.... unless i failed my spot check

Eriol
2005-11-04, 01:38 PM
We're gonna find out the King of Nowhere is evil. That's just how it's going to be.

Still, VERY nice comic. Nice little touches like those "Fine Dwarven Weapons" and "Women's Intuition".

Since we may be able to assume Miko, Elan, and Durkon are still outside, what will Miko SAY when she sees Roy? That should be interesting.

Lilly
2005-11-04, 01:48 PM
*dawning realization* OH NOES!!! Elan, Durkon and Miko may have had a chance to evacuate most of the civilians, military efficancy can go a long way... Roy and Belkar are outside, Haley and V are not. They are rather high up in a building that possibly just had it's foundation blown out. :o

kit
2005-11-04, 01:49 PM
Haha!

:-D

In modern times, 'sir' is a term of respect used when adressing a man. In medieval times (including most fantasy settings) 'sir' refers to the fact that a person has been knighted. If a woman is knighted (didn't happen in the real world, fairly often happens in fantasy) she is correctly adressed as 'sir'.

Samiam303
2005-11-04, 01:53 PM
Hot Damn! Gotta love the lawyers...

Duraska
2005-11-04, 01:53 PM
You're forgetting about the guy down there waiting for pudding.

That's true, I did forget about him. I liked him too. I also forgot about Miko, Elan and Durkin being outside. They're friends, and they definitely don't deserve to look upward only moments before a flaming dwarf-bomb hits them. I recant my suggestion and put my support behind Roy's plan. Afterall, it appears that the dwarf assassin chap isn't a bad fellow afterall...

Jevanyn
2005-11-04, 01:58 PM
Re #241: Hey, he really is smarter without the Trouser Titan :-)

Buzzaro
2005-11-04, 02:01 PM
Ok How much exp will B get for being the one responcable for killing all the idiots in the inn

and yes they are idiots becase they didnt listen to E when his was doing a really bad job of keeping the secreat that there was a bomb in the inn.

great hook at the end. ;D

Vernal
2005-11-04, 02:02 PM
YAAAAA BELKAR!!

I love the destruction that is implied. Though I thought dwarves were 'stable' on their feet... how'd he get upended? (ref: comic #1 - too lazy to link it)

Leveller
2005-11-04, 02:26 PM
Since I can't quote Belkar I can only do this:

>=D

DarkMonkey
2005-11-04, 02:36 PM
Awesome.
But for the love of Banjo, why did this have to be on a friday!!
now I have to wait 3 days for the conclusion of this... oh well...

benkir
2005-11-04, 02:43 PM
priceless ending

Devoured_Dude
2005-11-04, 02:55 PM
Ahem.

BEST BELKAR CAMEO EVER!!!

That is all.

SpaceCoyoteVega
2005-11-04, 03:06 PM
gaah!!
pull the wick out pull the wick out pull the wick out!

... would that even work?

HHLoneWolf
2005-11-04, 03:12 PM
well, it might work for a candle

pulling out the fuse may be a better idea in this case

but yes, it would work

SpaceCoyoteVega
2005-11-04, 03:26 PM
Pfeh! Arguing semantics while the little sparkly deal is getting closer and closer to the splodey stuff! I know what I meant. :P

Sundog
2005-11-04, 03:48 PM
The building's foundations haven't been blown out yet, Lilly.

I have to wonder why they keep Belkar around. He's now stepped over the line from being useless to being an active threat...

Kulatu
2005-11-04, 04:00 PM

I have to wonder why they keep Belkar around. He's now stepped over the line from being useless to being an active threat...

Obviously because Roy wants to keep an eye on him and try to minimize the damage he causes!

sbwilson
2005-11-04, 04:05 PM
Now we get to see who has the Run feat - always a useful thing when explosives are around... :)

Amalthea
2005-11-04, 05:42 PM
In modern times, 'sir' is a term of respect used when adressing a man. In medieval times (including most fantasy settings) 'sir' refers to the fact that a person has been knighted. If a woman is knighted (didn't happen in the real world, fairly often happens in fantasy) she is correctly adressed as 'sir'.
I thought the correct corresponding term for a woman was "dame".

[Edit:] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame

2005-11-04, 05:45 PM
Amalthea is correct. A knighted woman is titled 'Dame'.

Mr._Blinky
2005-11-04, 06:00 PM
It's kinda' funny, but if you look at the last pannel upside down, the dwarf is growling. But if you look at it right side up, he kinda' looks like he's got a really cheesy grin on his face. :)

Doug_Lampert
2005-11-04, 06:21 PM
The correct term of address for a female knight is Dame, not Sir. It would be every bit as wrong to call a female knight "Sir" as it would be to call the Queen "King Elizabeth".

Nightfall
2005-11-04, 06:22 PM
well, it might work for a candle

pulling out the fuse may be a better idea in this case

but yes, it would work

And we're all waiting for heroics on Monday. I'll bet that's just what Royanna does. Calmly walks over and pulls out the fuse. Because she really IS thinking better without the Trouser Titan. ;D

maxon
2005-11-04, 06:36 PM
Oh, but to make matters worse? That precipice you mention, that the hotel sits on? We've seen it before... in strip 197: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=197

;D

tinsmith

What precipice? You only posted that link because it's the strip with the evilgasm.

maxon
2005-11-04, 06:41 PM
It's kinda' funny, but if you look at the last pannel upside down, the dwarf is growling. But if you look at it right side up, he kinda' looks like he's got a really cheesy grin on his face. :)

So how did you find that out? Read the strip standing on your head?

Flak_Razorwill
2005-11-04, 08:22 PM
The fuse shouldn't be to hard to remove. It looks like it's just stuck into the side of the keg. A good, hard pull should suffice.

Are warhammers always "fine dwarven" weapons? Just wondering...

I can't help feeling that this is somehow a Karmic payback from Belkar for Roy's little hilt-throwing accident back at the gallows (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=164).

And I guess Belkar totally failed his Spot check vs. Disguise (no surprise there) - even with a lawyer to kill, no way he'd have kept on running past Roy without comment if he'd recognised her.

Jothki
2005-11-04, 10:58 PM

It could be that V still hasn't noticed.

JessmanCA
2005-11-05, 12:12 AM
It seems that a lot of people over-looked a small detail in the last panel, that the barrel's fuse has been lit. Explosions ahoy!

kit
2005-11-05, 04:14 AM
I thought the correct corresponding term for a woman was "dame".

[Edit:] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame

I stand corrected, regarding real life. However, this is a fantasy setting, and in th fantasy settings I've been exposed to, female knights are generally refered to as Sir.

However, that's not at all to discount the possiblility that V has not, in fact, noticed.

Sir_Banjo
2005-11-05, 04:22 AM
Can anyone say boom?

zammm
2005-11-05, 04:47 AM
It it just me, or is anyone else severely disappointed in Belkar for this? >:(

...I mean, why hasn't he caught the Lawyer yet? I was expecting that idiot to be Lawyer Purée by this point! ;)

Sc00by
2005-11-05, 05:01 AM
Can anyone say boom?

no, but I can say KA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Wil that do? ;)

Ilover_Juventad
2005-11-05, 06:14 AM

...I mean, why hasn't he caught the Lawyer yet? I was expecting that idiot to be Lawyer Purée by this point! *;)

I am... :-/

-IJ

...I mean, why hasn't he caught the Lawyer yet? I was expecting that idiot to be Lawyer Purée by this point! *;)
Maybe he has caught the lawyer a time or two, but just likes playing with him - think cat and mouse.

phlip
2005-11-05, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't have thought he'd have the patience for that...

Devoured_Dude
2005-11-05, 08:54 AM
Maybe he has caught the lawyer a time or two, but just likes playing with him - think cat and mouse.

Halflings have a base move of 20'. I'm surprised he's anywhere near that lawyer. Most experienced lawyers have the Run feat, for chasing after ambulances.

kerberos
2005-11-05, 09:11 AM

For comic relief obviously.

Grey Watcher
2005-11-05, 09:58 AM
Halflings have a base move of 20'. I'm surprised he's anywhere near that lawyer. Most experienced lawyers have the Run feat, for chasing after ambulances.

Ah, but remember, he has a level of Barbarian now, which gives him, among other things, a +10ft/round movement bonus.

And Mr. Rodriguez doesn't strike me as the most experienced lawyer. And, since he isn't a medical lawyer, he may have foolishly figured he'd never need Run, or maybe Belkar also has Run. Who can say?

NEO|Phyte
2005-11-05, 11:22 AM
Or maybe Mr. Rodriguez is a named NPC, and therefor protected by the great god Dee-Emm

ref
2005-11-05, 01:43 PM
Why does everyone assume it was Belkar who bumped the dwarf? For all we know it could have been the lawyer. He passed by the dwarf first, after all.

Sundog
2005-11-05, 03:35 PM
Because it is totally within character for it to be Belkar. He either failed yet another spot check and didn't notice the lawyer (likely), noticed but didn't care (more likely) or both (even more likely).

Reptile
2005-11-05, 04:43 PM
Or maybe Mr. Rodriguez is a named NPC, and therefor protected by the great god Dee-Emm

You mean, like Trigak (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=21) and Samantha (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=189)?

FWIW, I'm also in the "V still hasn't noticed" camp, although even if (s)he had, there are a number of reasons for continuing to call Roy "sir":
1. Habit. To V, Roy has always been "Sir Greenhilt."
2. V recognizes that Roy is under the effect of a magical curse and figures that, since the condition is most likely temporary, "sir" is still the correct form of address.
3. Having recently undergone a Baleful Polymorph, V remembers being referred to as "it" (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=177) by his/her close companions and realizes that Roy most likely still wants to be called "he."
4. Despite a bit of arguing when Miko came along, V has always generally respected Roy, and--noticing how much Haley's joking is irritating Roy--doesn't want to cause further duress.

(1-2 would probably be more likely given V's character--poor Charisma leading to a lack of empathy and all--but it could easily be a combination of these. If, that is, V has noticed at all. :))

Sylian
2005-11-05, 07:35 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=179

V calls Roy friend. That is a reason for not wanting to hurt Roy's feelings. Though I don't think V has realised that Roy is a woman.

Geech000
2005-11-06, 05:13 AM
Are warhammers always "fine dwarven" weapons? Just wondering...

Probably not, but that one is. If you recall back when Durkon let Royetta borrow them (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=237) he calls them heirlooms.

maxon
2005-11-06, 07:08 AM
I'm sorry this is going back a few strips but I just remembered it and it's bothering me. In Banjo the Clown's tea party, where all the animals from the magic bag (except 'Other Rat') were gathered round the tea table, what happened to the rhino? Was he not invited or were his hooves just too big to hold a cup? Or has he been sent to Coventry like Other Rat?

Kizor
2005-11-06, 11:43 AM
Pity about the gold.

Alrik_Ranulfsson
2005-11-07, 02:51 AM
If Belkar doesn't have Run, which he obviously doesn't if he hasn't caught him yet, then he'll never catch him until the lawyer fails his Fort save and tires.

And it's probable that Belkar is only charging, since you can't turn or attack at the end of a run. In that case the lawyer is only hustling, never tires and they run forever.

Rizzo
2005-11-07, 04:36 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a comic, and not just a coloured book? I fail to see the fun in #241. The last few pages are just too linear (imho).

triffid
2005-11-07, 04:55 AM
You might want to take your sense of humour in for a WOF, in that case.

Dark_Stalion
2005-11-07, 07:33 AM
He he he he, Roy has boobies.

Dhavaer
2005-11-07, 08:11 AM
He he he he, Roy has boobies.

What else is there to say?

Sundog
2005-11-07, 08:52 AM
Personally, the demonic grin on Belkar's face makes all the funny I need... ;D

Greebo
2005-11-07, 10:01 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a comic, and not just a coloured book? I fail to see the fun in #241. The last few pages are just too linear (imho).
Too linear? As compared to what, the rest of the series that follows the linear progression of the adventurers?

Pfft.

GreyRat
2005-11-07, 10:30 AM
I think only strips with the simplest concepts always go for a laugh. As they grow more complex, and begin to explore real personal matters, the artist is more likely to focus on the story and characters, and jokes may be skipped for one or more days. (As Rich has said in his book commentary...)
There is good and bad to this; I have stopped reading some strips because they became too serious. And others I continue to follow because I enjoy the characters, and want to see what new situations happen to them.

Gary_Schaper
2005-11-07, 11:27 AM
What did you expect from a story about stick figures?

Alternate joke: You're saying the dwarf and shadowdancer are Nale's new confederates?

Gary, obstinately overlooking the point. ;D

Rizzo
2005-11-07, 12:08 PM
I think only strips with the simplest concepts always go for a laugh. As they grow more complex, and begin to explore real personal matters, the artist is more likely to focus on the story and characters, and jokes may be skipped for one or more days. (As Rich has said in his book commentary...)
There is good and bad to this; I have stopped reading some strips because they became too serious. And others I continue to follow because I enjoy the characters, and want to see what new situations happen to them.
Yes I agree. In the "old" days I joyfully read every comic. Nowadays I don't get the same thrill from the comics, since many of them are, as you say, too serious.
A pity...

Too linear? As compared to what, the rest of the series that follows the linear progression of the adventurers?
Back in the start it didn't follow the plot in every single comic, like I feel it does now. There were alot of .... intermissions, if you'd like :)

Omellette
2005-11-07, 12:45 PM
Pity about the gold.

Oh my! I totally forgot about that...

I wonder -- if the gold is stored inside the hotel structure, or someplace else. And if it IS inside, will they ever find a way to get it back if it goes poof?

Hehehehe, maybe I'm cruel, but that sets up so many funny reaction possibilities...

Shular
2005-11-07, 01:44 PM
Hmm, do you think a certain hobgoblin kingdom could be called "Nowhere"? In which case, the King of Nowhere would be . . .

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=197

GreyRat
2005-11-07, 02:08 PM
Pity about the gold.
Well, all gamers know that some GMs don't mind when the PCs get staggering amounts of wealth- because they know oh-so-many ways to strip the party down to beggary again.
:'(
Ah, well, easy come, easy go.

Hermes
2005-11-07, 02:48 PM
Maybe the hotel's safe is 'BOOOM' proof?

chronoshift
2005-11-07, 03:17 PM
Hmm, do you think a certain hobgoblin kingdom could be called "Nowhere"? In which case, the King of Nowhere would be . . .

I find it hard to believe that Roy would be mistaken for either a hobgoblin or Xykon, unless that's another joke coming.

Vargtass
2005-11-07, 03:57 PM
... or Redcloak. Who is the present king of the hobgoblins, albeit goblin himself!

manscatha
2005-11-07, 05:49 PM

It's slapstick. Like a man tripping on a banana. I guess this works better for some people than for others.

Also, there's a couple of funny moments in the dialogue.

hsoj
2005-11-07, 06:20 PM
i had a dream.. in it was #242 and it was freakin' hilarious cause belkar was there... but i woke up... and all i have now is a wet keyboard and tiny squares on my forehead... :'(

Eriol
2005-11-07, 07:11 PM
I'm a bit worried. There's been no update so far (quite unusual by this time of day), and the Giant hasn't posted anything to ANY of the boards since Saturday.

Anybody know if he's alright?

mastroyo
2005-11-07, 07:12 PM

Or maybe he runs at the speed of plot.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-07, 08:11 PM
Is it just me or does this guy look awwwfully familiar?
http://www.reallifecomics.com/daily_old.php?strip_id=1144

RawBearNYC
2005-11-07, 08:19 PM
I'm a bit worried. There's been no update so far (quite unusual by this time of day), and the Giant hasn't posted anything to ANY of the boards since Saturday.

Anybody know if he's alright?
I talked to him yesterday and he was well.

Jothki
2005-11-07, 08:38 PM
It's kind of interesting how if we don't hear from him for a while, we assume that something is horribly wrong. There has been much precedentage, unfortunatly.

orange
2005-11-07, 09:08 PM
It's kind of interesting how if we don't hear from him for a while, we assume that something is horribly wrong. There has been much precedentage, unfortunatly.

I think it's just a disguised way to see if there's gonna be an update soon ... ;D

Nightfall
2005-11-07, 09:22 PM

>singing< "He's a re-e-eal Nowhere Man, sitting in his Nowhere Land..."

The Giant
2005-11-07, 09:25 PM
The comic is now up.

Sorry about the lateness of the strip. Today started with the maintenence people in my new apartment waking unexpectedly me up at 8:00 am and staying for 7 hours to fix stuff, preventing me from doing the comic. Followed by a false start that I scrapped.

For those interested in the Cerebus reference, I give you Websnark's Lexicon (http://www.websnark.com/archives/2004/09/faq_lexicon_1.html) (see the Cerebus Syndrome entry).

Special thanks for Rizzo for his assistance with the punchline.

triffid
2005-11-07, 09:29 PM
"Hey! Check it out, a shadow!"

I love delayed-setup punchlines. ;D

Mas_Sinoda
2005-11-07, 09:46 PM
What about V?

The Giant
2005-11-07, 09:48 PM
I don't understand the question. V is right there in the bottom row of panels with Haley.

saraswati
2005-11-07, 10:01 PM
Haley is in the burning building, the gold is in the burning building, I suspect Haley will find SOME way to get her gold.
But I envision the rest of the Order dragging her out for her own good.

On another note, I love how it takes an entire exploded building to get a massive enough shadow for the shadowdancer. No wonder he hangs out with a TNT-happy dwarf ;D

At first I thought we might have conveniently seen the last of Miko, but then I remembered the whole subplot with her master, so I suspect she's gonna survive.

As for the remark that prompted the Cerebus quip, IMHO people complaining about any individual strip are really short-sighted. The funniest stuff has been character driven, and setting up character stuff takes time. If you just go for the same exact one strip one liners, the stuff gets old and stale real quick. Rich is keeping the comic funny by developing the characters and plot. So settle down, and enjoy the well-written ride people.
[rant mode off]

Myself, I like the alternate format.

It is now time for a poll.

Number of people who think Belkar actually doesn't recognize Roy?
Number of people who think Belkar totally recognizes Roy and is just f*cking with him?

-peace out

[edited for awful spelling blunders]

Django
2005-11-07, 10:06 PM
Belkar has shown in the past a pretty remarkable lack of observational skills.

I would like to nominate "The Belkster" as the worst nickname ever.

Lilly
2005-11-07, 10:31 PM
Damn you Joss Whedon Rich Burlew!

By Rizzo do you mean Rizzo the rat from the Muppets? 'Cause he was a cool little rat. Always getting burnt or frozen or smushed or...

I like Elan's "Free Pudding" sign. heehee.

Devils_Advocate
2005-11-07, 10:32 PM
Y'know, the Cerebus Syndrome was one of the first things I thought of when I read GreyRat's commentary. Seeing Vaarsuvius actually refer to it in the comic cracked me the heck up. ;D

Frankly, I don't see OoTS ever falling into First and Ten Syndrome. There have been a few serious strips, and not every single strip has had a real joke, but the comic on the whole has never stopped being funny. (Not that you're suggesting that OoTS in particular is about to.) Today's strip, for all its drama, was decidedly funny.

I'm guessing that this will be snarked, though I somewhat doubt that Eric Burns will actually commend it particularly. I would imagine he'd feel weird congratulating someone, basically, for referencing his own writing. (I know that's how I'd feel.) And since he uses this sort of terminology all the time, and, I believe, has seen a comic or two make this sort of self-reference before, it might not strike him as being all that unexpected (and hence funny).

But, personally? I think Rich deserves a biscuit. A tasty, tasty biscuit.

(Or at least, like, a little bun or something.)

GreyRat
2005-11-07, 10:33 PM
Y'know, the Cerebus Syndrome was one of the first things I thought of when I read GreyRat's commentary.
I had never heard of it before, not being well versed with Cerberus or Snark. But now I know. And knowin' is half the battle. G. I. Jooooee...

Number of people who think Belkar totally recognizes Roy and is just f*cking with him?

I vote #1. Remember, Belkar is the Lord of Not Making Spot Checks.

Now, hands up all those who think the Giant's avatar should smile occasionally? :D

Flak_Razorwill
2005-11-07, 10:38 PM
First thing I thought of:

Am I to believe that Miko walked into the ground floor of a building that a few seconds later, suffered a massive explosion at street level? This may change things...

Also: RANDOM SHADOWS PWN!!!

EDIT: So a Cerberus syndrome is basically what a writer does to expand on a previously shallow character to add depth, backstory, and possibly enhance whatever original humorous qualities said character had in the beginning.

In that case, I am EXTREMELY guilty of this. Either that, it's good retconning.

Sundog
2005-11-07, 11:04 PM
I'm for #1. Belkar has been portrayed as effectively blind in the past, so he probably just doesn't see it...

I'd like to take this moment to congratulate Rich on his compositional skills. Both this strip and the last one (less so, but still so) broke with the traditional "row of boxes" format which this strip has, by and large, adhered to (there have been occasional exceptions, but these have mostly been splash pages).More importantly, these varied formats have worked extremely well in the telling of the story, and this weeks is really excellent,in it's ability to draw four stories together around a single incident.

lunar
2005-11-07, 11:22 PM
First Cerebus reference, I am very happy! :)

Demosthenes
2005-11-07, 11:31 PM
Dont you find it interesting that in this OOTS world there are no shadows? Where would the shadow dancer go to? I mean besides the shadows made by the explosion..

Nightfall
2005-11-07, 11:37 PM
I had never heard of the Cerebus Syndrome before, though I'd read a few of the comics. Thank you Giant for posting the link to the reference. I have to admit I didn't understand V's comment or its relevance.

I am very much in favor of having the characters fleshed out more, even if the set up to the punch line takes a couple episodes. The more I learn about them (their backgrounds, their motivations, etc.) the more I care (or in some cases, DON'T care) about them. Look how long we waited for the Belt of Gender Changing to show up again! And it makes the final delivery of that specific punch line that much more hilarious.

Belkar obviously missed another Spot Check. I vote for #1.

Jades
2005-11-07, 11:40 PM
Belkar failed his spot check.

The Giant should have an avatar that smiles. It saddens me that his avatars always look distressed and unhappy.

Peregrinus
2005-11-07, 11:47 PM
I guess this would be a bad time to point out that even at max level a Shadowdancer can only shadow jump 120 ft...

And why does Rish keep picking on my favorite classes, makes the Paladin an... well you know, and the shadowdancer a villain... can't we get some cool class with nifty abilities that's isn't an antogonist. Like say, and Eldridge Knight?

Adolfo
2005-11-08, 12:16 AM
Then what about an epic level shadowdancer?

I counted at lv 50, the shadowdance can go to the moon and back...

AtomicKitKat
2005-11-08, 12:39 AM
$1 says Belkar doesn't even realise there's a fire till it's pointed out to him. He's too busy hitting on Roy. :P

Kish
2005-11-08, 02:19 AM
And why does Rish keep picking on my favorite classes, makes the Paladin an... well you know,
1) Not a safe assumption.
2) Can you think of any class he doesn't pick on? That's the whole point of putting any classes in the webcomic.

Particle_Man
2005-11-08, 03:08 AM
I guess this would be a bad time to point out that even at max level a Shadowdancer can only shadow jump 120 ft...

I had forgotten that. I was going to point out that we had seen a shadow before (the unknown monster that has to carry an umbrella just so that it will remain an unknown monster).

Aeek
2005-11-08, 03:12 AM
"Cerebus + rules" makes me think of Lord Julius, he was the big one for rules, the more nonsensical the better.

mossfoot
2005-11-08, 04:23 AM
You know, despite the arrows, I couldn't help but still read it left to right (doh!). Wisdom failure there...

The more I think about it the more I'm sure these assassins are not "bad", and I wonder if the King of Nowhere's land is, oh, I dunno... on the border of where Xykon is right now? ;)

I've also fallen prey to Cerebus syndrome (I think most humour writers do), though not in a bad way, I think. I've given that up for a while, though, and back to straight up funnies for a while without arcing storyline ;)

Rizzo
2005-11-08, 04:27 AM
The comic is now up.
LOL

Well, no problem Giant. Hope I can help again some other time ;)
Nice strip btw :)

You forgot the third option: Belkar does recognise Roy, but thinks "Hey, why not, she's a hot chick now." :o

Arolas
2005-11-08, 06:40 AM
That's just... EwWwwWww!

zammm
2005-11-08, 07:28 AM
That's just... EwWwwWww!And thus, knowing Belkar, it's quite likely correct. ;)

maxon
2005-11-08, 08:27 AM

I vote for no.1 because that's the option most likely to make your flesh crawl. eeeeeuuuuww!

Amalthea
2005-11-08, 08:43 AM
Someone has to say it - the shadowjump illustration was very well done. It looked awesome.

Rambling_Scribe
2005-11-08, 08:56 AM
When I saw the Cerebus reference, my first thought was that it was a refernce to the super secret sacred wars story arc wherein Cerebus receives a message that says 'boom.' This is followed by Cerebus making excessive use of gunpowder, and IIRC it is while Cerebus is is living in a gigantic hotel, and he is certainly pretending to be the pope (which turns into him becoming the pope). It also coincides with about the time in the Cerebus epic that the story overtook the humour in importance.

So now I'm going to tell myself that Rich knows all this and just gave us the surface explanation. Man he's deep!

GeeVee
2005-11-08, 09:01 AM
Someone has to say it - the shadowjump illustration was very well done. It looked awesome.

I agree. It really adds depth to Rich's work. *Snicker*

Meagen
2005-11-08, 09:40 AM
I'm guessing that this will be snarked, though I somewhat doubt that Eric Burns will actually commend it particularly.

In fact, I'd wager it will be specifically Submitted Without Comment.

ironoutlaw
2005-11-08, 11:54 AM

i vote 1 because belkar has the wisdom of a lemming and 0 ranks in spot, he probably doesnt even notice roy is wearing a mop instead of hair

Tanaar
2005-11-08, 01:03 PM
2) Can you think of any class he doesn't pick on? That's the whole point of putting any classes in the webcomic.

Druids

(I don't count the single Druid reference thus far as picking on them http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=150 )

Grey Watcher
2005-11-08, 01:36 PM
Personally, I can't help but wonder if the unconventional panel order was due in part to Rizzo's comments as well. (Of course, it's also necessary for the big explosion shot to work properly.)

hsoj
2005-11-08, 01:49 PM
"A lot of chicks have that reaction at first, babe." - Belkster

awesome, just awesome.

Still not gettin' the last panel though... what rules were they joking about?

ref
2005-11-08, 02:56 PM

Er... pun intended?

Hsoj wrote:

That must be YAFWB (yet another fourth wall breaking; I got the NetHack players' habit of making acrostics of everything :P)

[Edit] UBB fixing. How to quote different posts easily?

thatwolfguy
2005-11-08, 03:40 PM
I had forgotten that. I was going to point out that we had seen a shadow before (the unknown monster that has to carry an umbrella just so that it will remain an unknown monster).

OMG - so in a world where there are almost no shadows, and we've only seen two, and the shadowdancer started off at one, does that mean by default that he has to end up at the other? - LOL that would be too funny.

thatwolfguy
2005-11-08, 03:48 PM
When I saw the Cerebus reference, my first thought was that it was a refernce to the super secret sacred wars story arc wherein Cerebus receives a message that says 'boom.' This is followed by Cerebus making excessive use of gunpowder, and IIRC it is while Cerebus is is living in a gigantic hotel, and he is certainly pretending to be the pope (which turns into him becoming the pope). It also coincides with about the time in the Cerebus epic that the story overtook the humour in importance.

So now I'm going to tell myself that Rich knows all this and just gave us the surface explanation. Man he's deep!

i vote that rich knows all this too.

oh, yeah and i vote that "the belkster" doesn't know it's roy.

i bet that roy will have to choose between helping V and haley or helping miko get out of the burning building (because none of them fell for the pudding ruse, hee hee). but no predictions about who i think he will help because that would be a prediction and posting predictions here is bad i've been told ??? :P

Boomlaor
2005-11-08, 03:49 PM
Well, the darkness cast by the black dragon was pretty much a shadow, so (assuming that there are other black dragons in the world, who may be attackign somone at this very moment) he could pop up in any number of places. That isn't a much better option for the assassins, unfortunately, than popping up inside the secret weapon monster.

Boomlaor

Ilaun_Undil
2005-11-08, 04:32 PM
Well at least they stopped the assasination of the king of Nowhere right? And anyway, if V has resist elements and a couple more featherfalls left, then V and Haley won't be in that much trouble. The question remains, will Miko make the reflex save for avoiding a falling building?

Jothki
2005-11-08, 07:05 PM

awesome, just awesome.

Dig through the archives a bit, I'm sure you'll find something.

DarkMonkey
2005-11-08, 09:52 PM
To those talking about the Shadow Monster and such, I beat you to the punch in the sealed predictions thread. ;D

phlip
2005-11-08, 10:21 PM
[Edit] UBB fixing. How to quote different posts easily?
Click the quote button on one, copy, click the quote button on another, paste.

bananna
2005-11-08, 11:04 PM
I am SLOW.

It took me a good half an hour to realize what Cerebus was. And I knew what the Cerebus Syndrome was, thanks to Squidi's blog.

Oh yes, I want my free pudding now.

RebelRogue
2005-11-09, 07:59 AM
The question remains, will Miko make the reflex save for avoiding a falling building?
Well, if she does, she'll be unharmed as she has the Evasion class feature ;) So my bet is that she will :)

evileeyore
2005-11-09, 10:19 AM
Well, if she does, she'll be unharmed as she has the Evasion class feature ;) So my bet is that she will :)
Nah, it'll be a CON save trap. Yiou can't avoid it, you only try to mitigate the bruising.

maxon
2005-11-09, 10:40 AM
Not only has Belkar failed his spot check to notice that Roy is now a girl but he also completely failed to notice that the hotel has just blown up (along with everyone's gold). So are Belkar's stats in this department SO LOW (i.e. in negative numbers) that it doesn't matter whether he rolls or not because he's going to fail anyway? Does missing the rather large boom mean he also failed a listen check?

Confused.

Jevanyn
2005-11-09, 12:58 PM
You have to admin, this is a pretty typical gaming scenario. You think you're spending the night somewhere safe (safer then camping in the wood, right? ;D ), and someone in your party ends up accidentally burning the building down.

Scene from old campaign:

DM: There is a commotion outside the tavern.
PC1: I go outside to see whatthe fuss is about.
DM: Careering down the street is a vampire in a flaming chariot!
PC1: ... I go back inside the tavern.
DM: ... No you don't.
PC1: Wanna bet?
DM: ... Ummm, someone trips you and you stumble into the middle of the street.
PC1: Then I get up and STAB THAT GUY. What is it with you and level-draining undead, anyway?

hsoj
2005-11-09, 01:54 PM
Dig through the archives a bit, I'm sure you'll find something.

Oh i'm sorry, maybe i thought that if i had a question, that maybe if i posted, that maybe someone would have an answer, and that maybe someone wouldn't respond with a useless post.

Greebo
2005-11-09, 02:19 PM
Oh i'm sorry, maybe i thought that if i had a question, that maybe if i posted, that maybe someone would have an answer, and that maybe someone wouldn't respond with a useless post.

Now surely you see the foolishness of such thinking. ;)

Lilly
2005-11-09, 03:02 PM

awesome, just awesome.

Well let's think about that for a minute. Most of the early strips were simply rules jokes.

The Prime Example (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1)
Another rules joke heavy comic (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=18)
And a more recent one. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216)

Asmodeus
2005-11-09, 03:04 PM
Druids

(I don't count the single Druid reference thus far as picking on them http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=150 )

Does this count? >> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=138

Greebo
2005-11-09, 03:23 PM
Does this count? >> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=138
Neither comic referenced thus far contains any NEGATIVE remarks about druids.

One references "Druids local 303" which suggests the druids work together as a union. What insult is there in suggesting teamwork?

The other mentions druids with pointy sticks. Hmm... in the panel the reference to druids ties to a muskrat who's being used as a trap detection and monster avoidance device. Implication? The druids won't approve.

Again, what insult?

Now if there were a reference to Tree huging rat loving druids, THAT would be an insult.

(Stupid rat hugging tree loving druids...) ;)

The Giant
2005-11-09, 04:16 PM
New comic is up.

Rawhide
2005-11-09, 04:21 PM
Woohoo! Just in time for me to read it before work too!

WampaX
2005-11-09, 04:25 PM
Those flames look pretty good . . .
only by laser-etched foiling them could they look better.
That'd look pretty cool actually.

So, when are the trading cards coming out? ;)

Silverblaze
2005-11-09, 04:26 PM
*LOL* It's a little something I like to call roleplaying" *GG* Hope she got the bonus XP the Belkster is so fond of for that ;D

But Miko isn't being nice - Hayley did go willingly to rescue that dirtfarmer and with no reward - Little Miss Perfect there is just a bit judgemental now isn't she... Much like when Belkar accused Hayled of lifting his green healing potion ;D

GreyRat
2005-11-09, 04:28 PM
ROFL!!
(Whew, haven't used that abbreviation in a while...)

Yeah, I've been there, realizing that an in-game scenario which would be dangerous IRL is quantifiably safe in game. Man, GMs hate that. ;D
Haley rocks my world.
Yay, Rich!

Eriol
2005-11-09, 04:29 PM
So apparently the fact the safe is "warded by the best abjurations" (from 225) translates into "can be broken into by half the rogues out there quite easily, even when surrounded by fire."

And what's with the "witch" comment? "criminal" is obvious, but witch?

Greebo
2005-11-09, 04:31 PM
Haley should be getting some nice RP XP now too in addition to keeping her gold. ;) ;)

I wasn't sure V could survive 3d6 damage though... :P

Sylian
2005-11-09, 04:35 PM
But, but why? Why couldn't my post be posted just because I had no subject? :(
Very well, I'll do a new one.

Living in Europe makes me sad because I have to wait for OotS atleast six hours more than americans have to.

OmegaDonut
2005-11-09, 04:51 PM
I did not prepare Expeditious Retreat this morning!

Wow, that joke never gets old! Now to nitpick.

Now, my Bags of Holding are still full with the treasure from Xykon's dungeon...

It's likely, but wouldn't it seem more appropriate to mention the dragon's dungeon instead?

Rawhide
<carrying on the joke>
Sylian: You think you've got it tough, we have to wait 15 extra hours here in Australia!
</carrying on the joke>

Ilaun_Undil
so I'm assuming that Haley will demand a 10% of everyone's share for saving their gold? Sounds about right for a thief.

Flak_Razorwill
2005-11-09, 04:54 PM
Wow, a Sophie's Choice refernce. So Nazis DO exist in D&D. Cool.

Anyways, cool red tint effect, although I'm kind of wondering how she picks the lock so easily, when it's protected by the "finest abjurations." Unless it's just a room with the safe, with the treasure sitting next to the safe, ready to be put in later. The door looks pretty average, so it's probably the latter.

I kind of expected Haley and Miko to use more biting words rather than witch and criminal. My favorites are bitch and thief.

The Giant
2005-11-09, 04:56 PM
It's likely, but wouldn't it seem more appropriate to mention the dragon's dungeon instead?

No. the dragon's treasure is what they're "rescuing" now. Her bags are filled with the treasure BEFORE that, which she never spent. If her bags weren't filled, they wouldn't have needed the carts to carry the dragon's gold in the first place.

kerberos
2005-11-09, 04:56 PM
So apparently the fact the safe is "warded by the best abjurations" (from 225) translates into "can be broken into by half the rogues out there quite easily, even when surrounded by fire."

Dictionary.com
witch Audio pronunciation of "witch" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wch)
n.
4. A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing.

ref
2005-11-09, 05:00 PM
yes, V can take 3d6, if her con is 10-11... 12d4 averages to 30. So, barely, but she'll survive :)

and... GO HALEY!

thatwolfguy
2005-11-09, 05:12 PM
way to bring the funny giant! the payoff was great ;D

Lightman
2005-11-09, 05:16 PM
Darn it! When I saw the first panel of the comic, I thought Miko would reveal her evil colors and try and kill the others

Boomlaor
2005-11-09, 05:21 PM
Looks like Haley was right (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=130), you never can have enough extradimensional space. Looks like 8 bags of holding isn't enough.

Boomlaor

DeathQuaker
2005-11-09, 05:29 PM
Hee! This is setting up for all KINDS of possibilities. I can't wait till Friday.

Haley's reminding me of Lina Inverse, liberating the poor innocent treasure like that. Even has a purple haired spellcasting companion. ;D "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory WILL BE MINE!!!!!"

Amalthea
2005-11-09, 05:42 PM

It's a fairly common slam from a girl against another girl, but not used to the face. Try and come up with a rhyme.

Dark
2005-11-09, 05:42 PM
I kind of expected Haley and Miko to use more biting words rather than witch and criminal. My favorites are bitch and thief.
"Witch" might be a more strongly loaded word in a world with actual witches. And I think Miko will think more lowly of a "criminal" (social status) than a "thief" (expert in a particular crime).

Nightfall
2005-11-09, 05:46 PM

Spell it with a "b". ;)