PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Retraining mount (not animal companion) feats

mehs
2023-01-21, 07:58 PM
So you acquire an animal, purchase it, etc. It is from wbl, not normal class abilities. How do you change its feats? Is there a way? In main example, I captured some advanced asps to use to milk venom from, and I want to retrain them from improved initiative to ability focus (poison). Is this possible outside of casting awaken on them and getting them to go through the retraining process? 1st party only, no homebrew, pathfinder.

Eldonauran
2023-01-22, 10:44 AM
Retraining is an optional rule set, so you will have to work with your GM to even do it, let alone use rules for it on other critters.

You may change one feat to another through retraining. Retraining a feat takes 5 days with a character who has the feat you want. The old feat can’t be one you used as a prerequisite for a feat, class feature, archetype, prestige class, or other ability. If the old feat is a bonus feat granted by a class feature, you must replace it with a feat that you could choose using that class feature.If your GM was permissive, you'd need to somehow find a trainer with Ability Focus (venom) in order to train your snakes. It is actually a really tough sell, and I'm a fairly permissive GM when it comes to retraining.

mehs
2023-01-23, 12:32 AM
Gm vetoed finding monsters that diverge from normal other than template. so far awaken seems the only option because of the +2hd.

ciopo
2023-01-23, 03:48 AM
see if he's okay with allowing ability focus to be put as the "training" property on an amulet of mighty fist? it's homebrew because it's not a combat feat and training allows only combat feats, but it's also a solution "adjacient" enough that I would allow it, especially because "training" as the noun is on theme with the flavor of the desired effect