PDA

View Full Version : After an Acid Domain

pabelfly
2023-01-21, 09:41 PM
So, I'm after an poison domain for my setting, which I can't seem to find. Is there an acid or poison domain or similar for 3.5?

Alternatively, what are some high-level spells, say, levels 7 to 9, with the Acid-descriptor so I can create my own Acid domain?

Biggus
2023-01-21, 10:34 PM
Closest I know of is Corruption Domain (BoVD) or possibly Slime Domain (SpC)

RandomPeasant
2023-01-22, 12:17 AM
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any Acid-related 8th or 9th level spells. There's technically glorious master of the elements at 7th, but it works for all the energy damages, so it's not really a good fit for an Acid Domain. I suppose you could retool the homebrew Venom Sphere (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Venom_(3.5e_Sphere)) fairly easily, especially if you don't mind something that leans more to poison than acid, though you could swap things around to get spells like orb of acid or acid fog in there (in particular, you should probably replace major creation, as I'm pretty sure the design intent is that you'd be able to use that in combat).

pabelfly
2023-01-22, 12:45 AM
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any Acid-related 8th or 9th level spells. There's technically glorious master of the elements at 7th, but it works for all the energy damages, so it's not really a good fit for an Acid Domain. I suppose you could retool the homebrew Venom Sphere (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Venom_(3.5e_Sphere)) fairly easily, especially if you don't mind something that leans more to poison than acid, though you could swap things around to get spells like orb of acid or acid fog in there (in particular, you should probably replace major creation, as I'm pretty sure the design intent is that you'd be able to use that in combat).

Unfortunate that there are no unique 7th, 8th or 9th-level acid spells, so I just said Fire Seed, Polar Ray and Meteor Swarm are retooled to do Acid damage. Would have preferred to have unique spells, but even 3.5 has some domains that change the elements of some spells (eg. Cold Domain Wizard has Comet Swarm, which is Meteor Swarm but with Cold descriptor instead).

zlefin
2023-01-22, 08:36 AM
I'm surprised I couldn't even find something in pathfinder; there's so many subdomains there, but I looked through them, and through the wizard subschools, sorc bloodlines, and none of them were acid or poison. It seems like a plausible enough theme that with the number they have there'd be one. though maybe I missed one that was under a non-obvious name.

Darg
2023-01-22, 09:54 AM
Just make an acid domain that gives the benefit of energy substitution (acid) and then make versions of 7/8/9th level spells with the acid descriptor.

ahyangyi
2023-01-22, 10:03 AM
There are only three acid spells in level 7-9 in the whole Pathfinder world:
Caustic Eruption [acid] level 7 (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Caustic%20Eruption)
Scourge of the Horsemen [acid, evil] level 9 (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Scourge%20of%20the%20Ho rsemen)
Transforming Blood to Acid [acid, pain] level 9 (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Transmute%20Blood%20To% 20Acid)

And there are a few vaguely acid-themed things:
Ooze Form III, level 7 (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Ooze%20Form%20III), because the Ooze gives you an acid attack
Storm of Vengeance, level 9 (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Storm%20of%20Vengeance) , various weather effects, among which there's an acid rain

And as for acid-themed bonus spell lists, a surprising answer might be the Witch's Autumn Patron. Who would have thought an autumn list has many acid things?
2nd — ray of enfeeblement, 4th — create pit, 6th — gentle repose, 8th — vitriolic mist, 10th — major creation, 12th — acid fog, 14th — caustic eruption, 16th — horrid wilting, 18th — wail of the banshee.

For low level spells, the Earth Domain and/or Elemental(Earth) Bloodlines gave some converted acid spells.

ShurikVch
2023-01-22, 05:01 PM
Closest I know of is Corruption Domain (BoVD) or possibly Slime Domain (SpC)
Also, Ooze Domain (FC1)

Wonton64
2023-01-26, 03:26 PM
For 3.5e, here are some options:
Kineticist (PrC) - Psion prestige class, I think it was posted on a web article? It's based on the published pyrokineticist, just substituting acid for fire, basically.
Elemental Savant (PrC) - Prestige class that allows you to modify all energy spells to your chosen type.
Energy Substitution (Feat) - +1 Metamagic, change any energy type to your chosen type.
Slime Domain - Has some acid spells on it.
Thrall of Juiblex (PrC) - This goes the opposite direction of what you're probably looking for, as it doesn't advance spellcasting, but it does give you a bunch of ooze and acid abilities.

pabelfly
2023-01-26, 03:56 PM
For 3.5e, here are some options:
Kineticist (PrC) - Psion prestige class, I think it was posted on a web article? It's based on the published pyrokineticist, just substituting acid for fire, basically.
Elemental Savant (PrC) - Prestige class that allows you to modify all energy spells to your chosen type.
Energy Substitution (Feat) - +1 Metamagic, change any energy type to your chosen type.
Slime Domain - Has some acid spells on it.
Thrall of Juiblex (PrC) - This goes the opposite direction of what you're probably looking for, as it doesn't advance spellcasting, but it does give you a bunch of ooze and acid abilities.

I was more after something a Cleric can pick as a domain for a homebrew religion. But thanks for the suggestions.

Wonton64
2023-01-26, 04:54 PM
I was more after something a Cleric can pick as a domain for a homebrew religion. But thanks for the suggestions.

Then I'd take Darg's suggestion and homebrew an Acid Domain. Pick acid spells at every spell level that you can, and ones that you can't, do something like Fireball (Acid damage).
Domain Power: You gain the benefit of the Divine Metamagic feat, but only for the Elemental Spell Metamagic, and only for the purposes of changing a spell's damage type to acid.

afroakuma
2023-01-27, 07:45 PM

If homebrew is tolerable, I already have a Poison domain I can give you, or I can do up an Acid domain with a couple of custom spells. Up to you.

pabelfly
2023-01-27, 08:02 PM
If homebrew is tolerable, I already have a Poison domain I can give you, or I can do up an Acid domain with a couple of custom spells. Up to you.

Already sorted, but thank you for the offer.

Wonton64
2023-01-27, 08:06 PM
Already sorted, but thank you for the offer.
Out of curiosity, what did you settle on?

pabelfly
2023-01-27, 08:35 PM
Out of curiosity, what did you settle on?

Poison Domain
Domain Power – You cast acid spells at +1 caster level.

1 Acid Orb, Lesser
2 Melf’s Acid Arrow
3 Acid Breath
4 Orb of Acid
5 Vitrioloic Sphere
6 Acid Storm
7 Fire Seeds (Acid element instead of Fire element)
8 Polar Ray (Acid element instead of Cold element)
9 Meteor Swarm (Acid element instead of Fire element)

I'm sure someone else more familiar with the general spell list could have come up with better spells to reflavour but this was fine for what I wanted.