PDA

View Full Version : Deepwarden Spell-like Abilities

NerdHut
2023-01-22, 01:33 AM
I was reading through Deepwarden and noticed the spell-like abilities don't specify how frequently they can be used. For animal messenger and greater animal messenger, I don't think it's much of an issue. Those abilities are limited primarily by your situation.

But sending also has no mention of uses per day, and that seems like it could be somewhat abused (though how game-breaking that would be is up for debate).

I've looked around and looked some more, but I can't find anything that sets a clear rule or precedent on how frequently a character can use a spell-like ability that doesn't specify such information in the description.

As a DM, I'm okay with making my own ruling. But if there's an existing rule, I would appreciate being directed to it.

ElderDarren
2023-01-22, 02:42 AM
As the Deepwarden spell itself has no specified limits on usage, does it then not default to an At-Will SLA? The SRD does not have a default number of uses that is typically overwritten. Just that if they're limited it is specified in the text.

Anthrowhale
2023-01-22, 10:09 AM
At will sending at ECL 11 seems fairly reasonable. At that level, a party already has Telepathic Bond available for the whole party for a couple hours, and Telepathic Bond can be made permanent. At will sending is in some ways better (you can send to people not nearby and permanency has a cost), and in some ways worse (communication would have to go through the Deep Warden rather than direct, and it must be initiated by the Deep Warden).

Biggus
2023-01-22, 12:22 PM
At will sending at ECL 11 seems fairly reasonable. At that level, a party already has Telepathic Bond available for the whole party for a couple hours, and Telepathic Bond can be made permanent.

Also, by ECL 11 a party can club together to buy a wand of sending fairly easily, so it's not really making something available that's impossible to get otherwise.

Given the Deepwarden's description as "a living early warning system" Sending it will seems appropriate, there are plenty of important messages which would take more than 25 words.

NerdHut
2023-01-22, 06:00 PM
That all sounds roughly in line with what I was thinking. Deepwarden isn't really broken, however you rule the SLAs.

But I'll keep an eye out for a published general rule, and I still welcome anyone else who can find one.

Gruftzwerg
2023-01-27, 10:32 AM
Warlock's Call is also Sending at-will and can be picked earliest as 11th lvl warlock.