PDA

View Full Version : Instrument proficiency and Spell Focus pre-Swords bard

spbtc
2023-01-22, 10:59 AM
I'm building a gish based around Swords Bard and I have a bit of a flavor conundrum with it. At L1 we gain instrument proficiencies and may use our instrument as a Spell Focus. Then at L3 when the subclass happens, we can use a sword as our Focus.

In my concept this character is an acrobat and dancer, not a musician. I don't particularly even want to have instrument proficiencies, much less use an instrument as a spell focus. I mean mechanically it would be fine, it just doesn't fit the character. I am thinking of proposing "hard shoe" as my instrument making my casting with Focus more of a clogging/Irish step/tap dance sort of action. Does anyone foresee any issues with this, balance wise?

Alternately I could just take the instrument and not use it. There are several really solid 1st level spells without any material components at all, making the use of a Spell Focus irrelevant. By the time I "need" a spell focus I will have unlocked by subclass.

JackPhoenix
2023-01-22, 11:14 AM
You can just use component pouch.

Unoriginal
2023-01-22, 11:56 AM
You can just use component pouch.

This.

Ten characters limit.

Leon
2023-01-22, 06:22 PM
If musical theme of a bard doesn't fit, don't use it. In previous editions that where a lot more hard on the musical slant i always had my bards with a focus on vocal skills because who has time for a lute in a sword fight.

Pixel_Kitsune
2023-01-24, 09:50 PM
Assuming DM won't work with you, component pouch is the answer.

But have you talked to your DM about options? What about a decorative blade used for dances but not functional? Trade in an Instrument proficiency for "Sword Dancing" or the like?

Honestly, just talk to your DM in general. I've found I almost never need 3 instruments. Had a DM let me trade in 2 of them for cook's utensils and herbalist kit. Character was a professional chef as their art.