PDA

View Full Version : On favored prestige class (pathfinder)

ciopo
2023-01-24, 08:09 AM
Greetings.

I've seen people swear by favored prestige class, especially with prestigious spellcaster as a follow up

I can't say I don't understand spending build resources to be back on track on spellcasting, so prestigious spellcaster is a sensible investment in my opinion.

I'm less sure about favored prestige class, does it allow some other shenanigans I've missed? because it looks to me like it's toughness but worse / cunning but worse ? I suppose there is the takeaway of +2/4 to one skill, but otoh considering there will be at minimum 5 base class level, that's 5 HP or 5 skill ranks less than toughness/cunning

I'm under the impression it's only worth it within the scope of qualifying for prestigious spellcaster

Kurald Galain
2023-01-24, 08:20 AM
I'm under the impression it's only worth it within the scope of qualifying for prestigious spellcaster

You are correct.

Rynjin
2023-01-24, 08:49 AM
Yep, it's garbage on its own. If it still let you take base class FCB options it would still be pretty bad, but at least not completely useless.

pabelfly
2023-01-24, 09:01 AM
Assuming ten levels of a prestige class, ten extra skill ranks and a +4 in your chosen skill is definitely not the worst use of a feat.

ahyangyi
2023-01-24, 03:42 PM
Or, if you took HP for 10 levels, the feat is half an Alertness and half a Toughness. Too bad that nobody remembers Alertness because it is only remembered as "one of the many benefits of having a familiar".

Thunder999
2023-01-25, 06:06 PM
It's pretty much a feat tax for Presitgious Spellcaster yeah.

It's basically half of toughness+half of alertness, so it would be worth a feat if you thought those feats were good. Noone does outside of the odd pre-requisite though.