PDA

View Full Version : A monster (its a mean one)

BisectedBrioche
2007-12-03, 05:18 AM
The Grinch
Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Evil)
Hit Dice: 10d8-10 (35 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 dex, +1 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+12
Attack: Claw 1d6+3
Full Attack: +12/+7
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: You're a mean one, Stink. Stank. Stunk.
Special Qualities: Strength of 10 plus two, Two sizes too small
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +7
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 8, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Bluff, Craft (Sleigh), Move Silently, Disable Device
Feats: Deceitful, Improved Trip, Investigator, Lightning Reflexes
Enviroment: Any frozen or Urban
Organization: Solitary
Challange Rating: 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil

The Grinch is an unpleasent humanoid covered from head to toe in green fur. It has an absolute hatred for hapiness, joy and gifts. If it is aware of any gifts being given it will resolve to steal or destroy them in the hope of spreading misery.

You're a mean one (Su) The grinch is a being of bitterness and malice. Any creature who meets its gaze (reflex DC 10 negates) takes a -1 moral penalty to all actions for 1d6 rounds.

Stink. Stank. Stunk. (Ex) As a standard action The Grinch may produce a foul smelling cloud around itself. Anyone within 50ft. must make a fortitude save (DC 10) or become nausiated for 3 rounds. Anyone who makes their save is immune to the effect for 24 hours.

Strength of 10 plus two (Ex) The Grinch may rage, as a barabrian with a level equal to its HD.

Two sizes too small (Ex) The Grinch recives a +4 bonus on will saves to avoid carrying out any non-evil action. However it also takes a -2 penalty to fortitude saves because of a weak heart.

Combat

The Grinch prefers to avoid combat, usually fleeing if it is caught. If it is left with no choice it will use its Stink. Stank. Stunk. ability and gaze attack to weaken opponents and then attack them with its strength of 10 plus 2 ability. It will escape at the first opportunity rather than continue fighting.

Any comments/critcisms?

DracoDei
2007-12-03, 05:31 AM
I think you mean 1d6+2 (or maybe +3 since it is his only attack) for the claw damage.

Also, rules for the "turn good" part would probably be a good idea... use the lifting limits to calculate "Ten Grinches Plus Three" wasn't it? Or you could try to estimate the weight of the sled when he lifted it over his head?

BisectedBrioche
2007-12-03, 09:27 AM
I think you mean 1d6+2 (or maybe +3 since it is his only attack) for the claw damage.

Also, rules for the "turn good" part would probably be a good idea... use the lifting limits to calculate "Ten Grinches Plus Three" wasn't it? Or you could try to estimate the weight of the sled when he lifted it over his head?

I don't recall giving him a turn good ability.

Debihuman
2007-12-03, 11:00 AM
Your grinch has a good start but it also has some problems.

As a monstrous humanoid, the grinch should have Darkvision 60 feet.

He is missing his skills that come from his feats. Deceitful gives him +2 to all Disguise and Forgery checks and Investigator gives him +2 to Gather Information and Search checks.

You haven't applied his 39 skill points to any of his skills (and don't forget to modify them for his abilities as well). He should have Handle Animal for Max --after all not only does Max wear the antlers, he also pulls the sleigh. Lastly, he should have the profession (Tailor) as he sews both Max's costume and his own.

You really should lose the evil subtype. He's a monstrous humanoid and not an outsider (see here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#evilSubtype). Plus, his alignment changes by the end of the story so he's not always evil. A better subtype would be cold. He lives in the mountain above Whoville where it seems to always be winter.

The grinch's attacks should be written thusly--

Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+3)

However, he could use a weapon and be proficient with armor.

"Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack -- generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or armlike limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.

Unless otherwise noted, a natural weapon threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 20."

Why does the grinch have a +7 listed in Full attack? Did you leave out an attack? I don't think that a bite attack is appropriate for the grinch.

Did you apply all the bonuses and penalties to his Saves? You listed his saves as Fort +2 , Reflex + 8 and Will +7 but it didn't account for +2 Reflex due Lightning Reflexes, nor his -2 Fort from Two Sizes Too Small. His Fort is +0, Reflex is +10 and Will +7 (+11 for any non-evil action).

Debby

DracoDei
2007-12-03, 03:39 PM
I don't recall giving him a turn good ability.

You didn't. I am saying perhaps you should.

littlechicory
2007-12-03, 03:56 PM
Advancement? I'd say class levels with favored class Rogue, but that's just me.