PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Roleplaying An Open-Minded Cleric

Bartmanhomer
2023-01-24, 08:07 PM
I mention this conversation about clerics in the Random Banter Thread but I feel like I want to discuss this in the D&D 3.5 subforum. Anyway, I'm thinking of roleplaying a cleric (True Neutral Male Human Cleric Of Io) who's very open-minded about other faiths and people. However, the cleric isn't dogmatic and fundamental and he doesn't force his beliefs and shove them on other people's throats. So is there a way to roleplay an open-minded cleric? :smile:

Khedrac
2023-01-25, 03:30 AM
Easy - same way you roleplay any other open-minded character - don't pre-judge people.
Start by talking to them (and/or observing them) and see how their actions match up to their professed beliefs.

Note, even true-neutral open-minded people will have behaviours they do and don't tolerate, so this does not mean accepting whatever people do, but it is likely to mean listening to their reasons why they do it and considering them rather than straight-off judging them by their actions or statements.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-01-25, 04:57 AM
There are several gods, it's a fact in that world. Being open-minded about religion there is about the same thing as being open-minded about political opinions in ours. You don't agree, but you can understand why they think that and you don't judge the whole person based on that part of their personality.

SpyOne
2023-01-26, 08:43 AM
I think that every Cleric that I have ever adventures with would fit the description.
Heck, even most of the Paladins.
"Yes, my God is the best God. Because that is True, you'll figure it out eventually. I don't need to shove, but I might nudge you in that direction by constantly being awesome and showing off how awesome my God is."

lylsyly
2023-01-26, 10:27 AM
Being open minded ... hmm ... you only espouse the virtues of your God if asked and you are tolerant of other peoples beliefs. Sounds easy right? But is it really?

Ramza00
2023-01-26, 02:30 PM
I mention this conversation about clerics in the Random Banter Thread but I feel like I want to discuss this in the D&D 3.5 subforum. Anyway, I'm thinking of roleplaying a cleric (True Neutral Male Human Cleric Of Io) who's very open-minded about other faiths and people. However, the cleric isn't dogmatic and fundamental and he doesn't force his beliefs and shove them on other people's throats. So is there a way to roleplay an open-minded cleric? :smile:

Have him think about the doxa (Greek word for opinion that derives from a Greek word that means meaning 'to appear, to seem, to think, to accept'.)

Doxa is not just opinion, it is also the concept of “belief” itself [definition 2] and [definition 3] glory, honor, magnificence, praise [5th c. BCE] plus [definition 4]
glory, splendor (especially of the shechinah), theophany, mandorla [3rd c. BCE]

====

Now that we define Doxa think of words that derive from Doxa like Orthodox (beliefs that derive from common sense that appear straightforward), paradox (a contradiction that appears that logic has problems with even if it definitely did happen), heterodox (aka other opinion), so on and so on.

Such a cleric is a very mindful person with high wis but also closes their eyes and turns off a sense (inside their mind not literally) and thinks their senses beyond immediate sense impression and instead realizes we can apply force selectively and be full of force one moment and very fluid and flexible another moment. Thus he is mercurial in his opinions, very firm one moment, fluid in another moment, and easy going in a third. Likewise what is fluid can be calm and cool, or a fluid at room temperature who is trying to absorb excess heat from others and warm people who are sad, likewise they can be the very hot headed one from time to time.

The ability to shift around one’s emotions, and to shift around one’s sense impressions (a technique practiced via meditation and ritual such as mindfulness) allows one access to magic, splendor, higher powers. It is not about strength of belief but realizing beliefs are emergent and can change and that itself is powerful!

Curbludgeon
2023-01-27, 09:37 AM
Other than being pro-dragon priests of Io aren't described as having much in the way of dogma. An open-minded cleric of Io would likely see themselves on a personal voyage of discovery, and wouldn't be prone to proselyting. Mechanically it's a good excuse for the Rebuke Dragons ACF in Dragon Magic, and making a Persist DMM build.

Analytica
2023-01-27, 10:27 AM
I am thinking, a cleric who is 1) super happy about the safety their own faith gives them; 2) genuinely happy for other people to have safety from their faiths, even if that is a different faith and; 3) therefore basically genuinely curious about understanding everyone else's faith, asking questions, trying to empathize. Sometimes the conclusion becomes, "oh well, old chap - Tiamat would have you do something I have to stop! But no hard feelings, eh? Let's each do our best! Draw steel!"

Prime32
2023-01-27, 10:55 AM
It's not particularly odd. D&D religions don't typically place one god in charge of every facet of daily life, and gods of similar alignments are usually on more-or-less friendly terms with each other.

Even a cleric of the god of blacksmithing will only spend a small amount of time actually blacksmithing - they're hardly going to take a ride on a boat and say "Why are you praying to the sea god for a safe journey, also this boat should have at least six anvils". They might even perform a simple ceremony to the sea god themselves, if no one more qualified is present.

There can be conflicts, but they're usually based on stuff like "the sea god stole the blacksmith god's greatest creation" or "those sea priests have it cosy with the mayor while our temple is falling apart and can never get good spaces for events".

Bartmanhomer
2023-01-27, 12:18 PM
Other than being pro-dragon priests of Io aren't described as having much in the way of dogma. An open-minded cleric of Io would likely see themselves on a personal voyage of discovery, and wouldn't be prone to proselyting. Mechanically it's a good excuse for the Rebuke Dragons ACF in Dragon Magic, and making a Persist DMM build.

I just learn a new word for today: proselyting. :smile: