PDA

View Full Version : Help tracking down something

Kane0
2023-01-25, 12:33 AM
Help me forums for my google-fu has failed me!

I'm looking for the system or supplement that uses something called the 'supply die', where instead of tracking things like ammo and rations manually it's abstracted into a die roll. I think the size of the die shrinks as you use up your supply too?

timesparrow
2023-01-26, 02:33 AM
If I remember correctly, Forbidden Lands from Free League has supply/resource dice that are rolled and decreased depending on certain circumstances.

Pauly
2023-01-26, 03:37 AM
Help me forums for my google-fu has failed me!

I'm looking for the system or supplement that uses something called the 'supply die', where instead of tracking things like ammo and rations manually it's abstracted into a die roll. I think the size of the die shrinks as you use up your supply too?

It’s a reasonably common mechanic in wargames. In wargames it usually is rolling a “1” on an attack roll causes a “low on ammo” condition and to remove the condition you have to withdraw a certain distance away from the enemy or move within supply range of your supply wagon.

SpyOne
2023-01-26, 08:24 AM
D20 Modern had PCs make purchases by rolling against their wealth instead of tracking cash.

Nizaris
2023-01-31, 11:06 AM
The Alien RPG has a die roll mechanic for using anything that's battery powered, iirc, each time you use a powered object and it matters in the narrative, you roll a d6 to determine if you lose one point of power (1-5), if you roll higher than the current power remaining you don't lose a charge. Ammo though is largely ignored unless you panic or intentionally empty a magazine and it's measured in reloads.

Atranen
2023-01-31, 05:30 PM
There's the "usage die" in the Black Hack, which sounds like what you're describing.

Any item listed in the equipment section that has a Usage die is considered a consumable, limited item. When that item is used the next Minute (turn) its Usage die is rolled. If the roll is 1-2 then the usage die is downgraded to the next lower die in the following chain:

d20 > d12 > d10 > d8 > d6 > d4

When you roll a 1-2 on a d4 the item is expended and the character has no more of it left.

Kane0
2023-01-31, 07:55 PM
There's the "usage die" in the Black Hack, which sounds like what you're describing.

Huh, well there you go. Turns out I was on the right track.