Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Another_Poet
2008-01-29, 10:35 PM
Tell

Tell raises an eyebrow.

"What's so dangerous out there?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-29, 11:15 PM
"Trolls for one. Sure, they generally stick to the deep parts of the forest, but now and then one comes to the edges. And we'll be easy pickings far from town.

"Then there are the usual nasties in any forest—wolves, giant bugs and so forth.

"And, of course, not every group looking to waste their time out there is as trustworthy as we are.

"Are any of those likely to give us trouble? Maybe, maybe not. But why take the risk of an extra night out there? I certainly worked hard to minimize my exposure when I made my expedition last week. I took risks, but only when necessary. And that's how I aim to operate again."

Another_Poet
2008-01-30, 01:34 AM
Tell

Tell shrugs.

"I don't mind trolls and bugs. I'll leave it up to the rest of you." His glance shifts between the young man, the kobold and Megiddo. He takes a seat, seeming to lose interest in the conversation.

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-30, 05:55 AM
Megiddo

"We head out at first light. Don't be late, or we will leave you behind."

With that, Megiddo heads up to his room.

Another_Poet
2008-01-30, 09:10 AM
Tell

Tell will go for a walk in the woods, aiming to be back before sundown (so like six hours? seven?). He'll look for interesting tracks, including game animals and/or trolls.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-30, 09:27 AM
"Before ya go off, I'd like to know what I can call you all."

Another_Poet
2008-01-30, 09:46 AM
"Tell."

((And since I forgot to roll my survival to look for those tracks, here it is:

[roll0] ))

Tarinth
2008-01-30, 01:39 PM
Kajiki chooses to interupt the now happy mood. Rather than tell the newcomer his name he says You said you wanted your fair share. What exactly do you wish to recieve in payment for your services as our guide? Since you haven't found anything of value with your skills, I don't think you should get anything we might find with ours. Kajiki stays back from the man, holding action to run if the man advances threateningly. His tension is evident but so is his resolve.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-30, 01:49 PM
The stranger bristles at the comment and glares at the kobold. "Let's put it this way, little one. At the very least I'm gonna keep you from doing anything stupid, like walking on a weak floor or getting eaten by a troll half way there. If you don't think your life is worth a fair share, I don't know what'll meet your standards. In any case, your friend Tell and Mr. Wizard over there have already signed me on."

Tarinth
2008-01-30, 01:51 PM
Kajiki nods to Megiddo I'll be up in about half an hour after I've purchased some equipment. With that Kajiki Leaves.

So, what do I find at Ye Old trading Post if otherwise undetained.

Entertainer13
2008-01-30, 04:23 PM
Lor sighs.

It seems we have a plan, then. When should we leave?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-01, 08:38 AM
Watching the kobold exit, the dark-haired man nods towards Tell, "Hm. Your friends aren't very obliging." He extends a hand, "Chatrilon Unosh."
[hr]The paladin grins, "If we pack up our horses now and take the path through the forest, we can be there by the noontime after tomorrow."
[hr]The shop, run by a halfling that lets out an audible "Ooh..." upon seeing the kobold but makes no other comments on the subject, carries all manner of useful items. (( translation: everything on the adventuring gear table (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/goodsAndServices.html) in the SRD, plus a few items from "Special Substances and Items", and many of the items necessary to assemble the "Tools and Skill Kits." He even has a few swords, a couple of other weapons, and suits of armor up for sale. ))

Tarinth
2008-02-01, 10:00 AM
Ok, so I didn't see any pick, hammer, or chisel like stuff. Could I take the 5gp Artisan's tools and gear them towards rock shaping and tunneling?

Another_Poet
2008-02-01, 10:08 AM
Tell

Tell shrugs. "They're alright." He regards the man's hand for a moment, then reaches out and takes it. Instead of shaking hands however he grips the man's wrist and pulls him a bit closer, in gesture of solidarity. "I'm going to go look for those trolls."

He leaves.

((Unless any other NPCs want to accost me I'm gonna go use that 32 to look for tracks. I'd also like to see what Tell knows about Trolls from his years of living in a forest:

[roll0] ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-01, 10:39 AM
(( Uh, hammer, miner's pick, and shovel are all listed under Adventuring Gear. Only thing that's missing is chisel. Let's say 5 sp and 1 lb.

Hm. They really should have a weight discount for small creatures, too. They're most similar to weapons, so let's call 'em half-weight just like weapons.

Throw on 50 gp, and you may even be able to get the whole lot as a "Masterwork" set for +2 to Profession (miner) and similar checks. ))
[hr]Tell is unable to find any signs of trollish presence around the village. Though he does find a number of game trails.

Trolls are savage giants that generally prefer the hills and mountains, such as those in which Hommlet is nestled. They are known for the ferociousness with which they tear into their prey and enemies as well as a damage resistant skin that makes them nigh invulnerable. Some of those who have survived encounters with trolls report that fire can possibly overcome this resliance.

Entertainer13
2008-02-02, 12:54 AM
"Okay then, let's do it!"

Another_Poet
2008-02-02, 10:58 AM
Tell

Tell wanders a bit, contemplating what trolls must be like and chatting with the occasional tree. He notes the several game trails along the way, however, and gets to thinking about what would be tastiest.

((I would like to pursue whatever animal would be least often sighted in an area like this. So if I saw rabbit, deer, boar and badger tracks and people round here don't usually eat boar I'll go after that. If everything's commonly eaten I'll go after whatever is biggest, assuming it is not much bigger than a deer (since I have to haul it back myself). I don't know what rolls you need so here are a few just in case...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (I'll take off armour as I get close)
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

C'mon bacon! ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-04, 10:49 AM
(( Hunting down a boar is certainly covered by the "Get Along in the Wild" task of the Survival skill. Though I suppose the standard DC 10 is for less picky, "any food will do" type of work. I wouldn't expect hunting a specific animal indigenous to an area would be above the 15, you rolled, though. So that's all that's necessary.

But if you want to play out all the minutiae... ))
[hr]Xaod grins, "Ha ha! Action at last!" He narrowly avoids banging his knee as he springs from the table. "I'll let you collect your belongings and meet you at the stables in half an hour." With that, he makes for the door.

Another_Poet
2008-02-04, 11:51 AM
((Mmm, boar is good meat. I had it in real life once. Imagine crossing venison and pork.

Nah, I don't need to play it out. If you're saying that boar is the most impressive animal I can find and that I managed to bring it down, I'm fine with that.))

After a few hours of tracking and a short chase Tell finishes off a stout male boar. He guts and field-dresses it and hauls it to where he left his armour. Once he has his dragonhide on he lifts the beast onto his shoulders and begins the long walk to town.

A blood-soaked druid with a boar carcass isn't an everyday sight, and Tell finds himself the object of a great deal of curiosity. As he treads into the village he does his best to ignore the growing number of children around him. They ask a lot of questions but he only tells them there will be a feast tonight at the Temple of Ehlonna.

Once he reaches the temple he hangs the carcass from a tree and butchers it. He sets aside several choice cuts, one for Megiddo and the kobold, one for Jaroo and his apprentice, and one for the priestess at the temple. If possible he will promise one younger child a boar tooth if she delivers an invitation to Megiddo at the inn, and a full tusk to an older boy if he walks Jaroo's portion down to the grove at the edge of town. ((Do I need to roll for that or will they just agree?)) He tells the children the feast will be free and that if any of their parents want to bring any seasoning, side-dishes, wine or ale it would be appreciated.

By the time he is done butchering it's getting dark and he needs a place to cook the thing. He eyes the temple as if appraising it.

Tarinth
2008-02-04, 12:50 PM
Well, since I've told you twice already that I only have 13 gp, the masterwork stuff is out, so I'll just drop 6gp for the basics. Then, I go back to the inn for a good night's rest. (Character sheet updated)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-14, 11:02 AM
(( Okay... Forum/Browser ate my post, I guess... Here we go again!

Gonna assume for now that Lor mentioned the Temple thing to Orthus and Orthus decided to tag along. It'll make party distribution a bit easier.

Also, since the party will be splitting, I'll try to keep relative pacing down by making notes of dates and times of events. ))

[hr]
Planting 5, Early Afternoon

Lor and Orthus arrive at the stables to see Xaod leading his horse, a brown mare, from the stables.

"Ah! Good good! Mustn't waste any time! And—wait! Is he coming with, now?" The paladin eyes the dwarf suspiciously. "Fine! Might need another sword arm, and I can't be picky right now. Now, hurry up! retrieve your mounts!"
[hr]
Planting 5, Early Evening

Tell returns to town with his prize. People that are out and about curiously watch him as he sets the boar up outside the Temple to Ehlonna.

Just as he's starting in, Protectress Rhengold emerges from the temple. She wryly notes, "You know, our font door isn't a butcher shop. We've got a more appropriate place in the back if you need it."

Another_Poet
2008-02-14, 11:12 AM
Tell

With a slight bow Tell picks the carcass back up and follows the Protectress to wherever she wants the butchering done. he waves for the kids to follow him, and as he butchers he gives short, direct answers to their many questiosn about the boar and the feast.

((Am I able to get kids to deliver the invite to Megiddo, and the steak to Jaroo?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-14, 11:28 AM
(( Sure.

...I'm really not sure how many a boar feeds... ))

Another_Poet
2008-02-14, 11:56 AM
((If it's an adult, it could easily feed a large feast on its own. Probably about 60-80 people, or less and have leftovers for the next day. But as long as I can get prime cuts to the Protectress, Jaroo, and Megiddo I dont care if it feeds less than that.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-20, 10:00 AM

"Well? Come on! We've far to go!"

[hr]
Planting 6, Early Morning

Despite not understanding the occasion, a fair number of villagers enjoyed the feast last night. Jaroo did not show up, but Yundi did stop by to express gratitude for the cut of meat and invitation.

The morning that dawns is somewhat chilly for early Planting. On the whole it looks like it's going to be a clear and cool day—perfect traveling weather.

Chatrilon meets Meggido, Kajiki, and Tell in the barroom of the Welcome Wench, dressed in dark leathers and with a rapier at his side.

"Well, let's get going!"

Another_Poet
2008-02-20, 10:11 AM
Tell

Tell shoves a final piece of leftover meat into his mouth and silently heads outside. He starts walking in the direction of the temple without checking to see if the others will come.

Tarinth
2008-02-20, 03:02 PM
Kajiki nods to Chatrilon and follows Tell.

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-20, 04:15 PM
"Lead on, Chatrilon"

Entertainer13
2008-02-22, 06:57 PM
Lor just shruggs and gets her stuff together.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-22, 10:54 PM
Orthus

Orthus limps in. "Sorry mate, stubbed my toe coming down the stairs. Maybe we should wait until morning for it to heal and all?"

[/blatant attempt to realign time]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-23, 07:51 AM
(( Weith everyone going different directions, Time Alignment will be out of whack fo a little while. There are enough differences in what goes on pacing-wise at each of these places that I'm sure we can get you guys back together and on the same clock just before the expository arcs end.

As it is, the difference in distance between the Moathouse and Temple Proper should keep you guys within about half a day of each other even if you leave right "now" (being defined as just after lunch on Planting 5).

In short: No need to make this kind of meta-decision quite yet. ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-23, 08:18 AM
Orthus

The dwarf looks around for a stable hand, limping slightly. Once/if he finds one.. "'Ey! You got a riding dog or something small and low to the ground for me?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 10:02 AM

"Hm. I think we can get you a good riding pony."

(( D&D stat-wise, a dwarf would ride a horse (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/goodsAndServices.html#horse), because the mount must be one category larger than the rider. But given some stuff I learned in another discussion, it seems the real-world classification of "Pony" would apply to certain mounts that are large enough for humans. For our purposes, get a Light Horse and call it a Pony. ))

Planting 6, Early Afternoon

Chatrilon leads the group to a small dirt road leading east of Hommlet. Full of ruts and potholes, the road is in a considerable state of disrepair, offering only marginally better footing than the wild ground nearby.

Although the sun is out and shining, the temperature doesn't pick up very much. By noon, the day is still quite cool.

For the most part, Chatrilon remains rather quiet, making few attempts to initiate conversation on his own. He even drops towards the back of the group once everyone is firmly on their way. In his silences, he possesses the air of a man brooding on some dark secret.

About an hour after breaking for lunch, a rustling sound emanates from the brush under a stand of trees near the road. It is clearly not just the light breeze producing the noise, as the sound of someone humming a random tune accompanies it.

Before anyone can get close enough to investigate, a bearded man in a rumpled hat emerges from the brush. He doesn't notice the group at first, but quickly looks up as he steps onto the road in the direction of Hommlet.

"Oh! Hello, there!"

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 10:36 AM
Tell

Tell looks at the man quizzically, but does not speak yet.

Tarinth
2008-02-26, 02:11 PM
Kajiki looks back to Chatrilon, to see if he knows the newcomer, and looks around in paranoia, edging closer to Tell.

He then appraise the newcomer.
Sense Motive/Spot (1d20=14, 1d20+9=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1508596/)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 02:40 PM

With a raised eyebrow, Chatrilon seems just as puzzled by this newcomer as Kajiki.

The newcomer's hat and beard make it difficult to make out more of his face than the large friendly grin. He is dressed in brown workclothes and has a pack across his shoulder. Kajiki can make out a few dead animal heads and tails sticking out of the pack's pockets. There are also a couple of ferret corpeses dangling from his belt. He appears to be waiting for someone in the group to return his greeting.

Tarinth
2008-02-26, 02:46 PM
What a waste of nat 20 on the spot. Oh well. Kajiki smiles but will let someone with charisma do the talking.

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 02:48 PM
Tell

((I assume this guy was not at the boar feast in town the night before?))

"How goes the hunt?" Tell calls out as they near the man.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 03:06 PM
"Well as it can. Got some meat and pelts to sell back in town. An' I still got a few more traps to check on the way." He chuckles at that. As he approaches the group, his weathered but jovial face becomes more visible. "What brings you out to these parts? Y'don't look like no huntin' party. Most o' ya, anyway."

(( No. Tell doesn't recognize him at all. ))

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 03:15 PM
Tell

Tell's face takes on a very serious look. "Actually we were sent out here on a job. Hired by someone you might've heard of, a Master Jaroo Ashstaff. You see, Ashstaff heard someone was using traps, and figured he better put a stop to it before the practice spreads. Never thought we'd find you so easy, though."

Tell waits a moment for what he said to sink in, and then he can't hold back any longer. He bursts with laughter. "I'm just making sport," he explains between gales of laughter.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 03:48 PM
During Tell's pause, the woodsman raises a curious eyebrow and comments, "Can't say I believe that. Ashstaff never paid me no nevermind."

Upon hearing Tell's explanation of the joke, the woodsman chuckles a bit before advising, "Would be funnier if you had someone that ain't been trapping as long as Ol' Del here. 'Specially when the keeper of the grove has had plenty o' time to see to 'im himself."

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 04:03 PM
"A Druid trapping? That's terrible news," remarks Tell.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 05:45 PM
"No. I meant he sees me around town with a full pack often enough."

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 08:02 PM
Tell

Tell shrugs. "We're off to that old temple. Any news from that way?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-26, 11:13 PM
Megiddo waits patiently for Tell to finish his conversation with the hunter.

OOC: felt I should post something to let y'all know I'm still paying attention.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-26, 11:26 PM
Orthus

"I dunno what you humans do to travel, but a dwarf does not ride a horse." Orthus crosses his arms, and waits on the stablemaster to bring about a large riding dog.

Tarinth
2008-02-27, 10:51 AM
Kajiki relaxes and looks back to Chatrilon. Well, I guess you were right. This forest must be crawling with hidden dangers like trolls for an old hunter to be rooting around so happily.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-27, 08:15 PM

"Whaddaya want then, a big ol' cave lizard? We ain't got any of those around here." The voice comes from behind. Turning around, Lor and Orthus see it belongs to a dwarf with a long, black, braided beard. The dwarf is carrying a plain wooden box. "Yer on the surface now, brother. Gotta put that kind of thinking behind ya. I certainly did a long time ago. Y'need a surface mount. An' it just so happens I got one that's good even fer an eqquinophobic dwarf. Her temperament's just that sweet you'll forget she's a horse, an' she's plenty small."

The stablemaster approaches Orthus while addressing the human stablehand. "I can take it from here, Wes."

The stablehand nods and departs.

[hr]

Ol' Del thinks for a moment. "Hm. Temple? You mean that nasty place up north? I never go that far. But seein' as your in the area, I suppose you're thinking 'bout that moathouse, too, eh? Well, I wouldn't go there. 'Specially now that dragon's moved in. Too dangerous."

At the same time, Chatrilon quietly snaps at Kajiki, "Well, some old men are just too foolish for their own good!"

The trapper fourtunately doesn't seem to here this as he is too busy talking about the dragon.

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-28, 12:47 AM
Megiddo, who had been patiently remainging quite, raises an eyebrow, and speaks.

"What manner of dragon?"

Entertainer13
2008-02-28, 02:16 AM
Thank you, sir. I'm sure my friend here appreciates it.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-28, 08:17 AM
Orthus

"Guess I'll take the horse-thing. But if we go into a cave of some sort then we're pretty much doomed.. ..Well, ya'll are doomed." Orthus saddles the horse and loops his backpack around the saddle-pommel like a saddlebag.

I dropped Orthus' accent since, well.. It just doesn't add anything to the character and sometimes makes him hard to understand.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-28, 08:26 AM
Planting Five, Early Afternoon

After securing the deal with Orthus, the stablemaster turns to Lor, "And do you require any of my services, ma'm?"

[hr]

"It was a big green beast!" Del spreads his arms out to emphasize the size of the thing.

Chatrilon snaps up away from his quarrel with Kajiki with a look of concern on his face.

"Wouldn't've known it was there, but I saw it from a hill I got a trap on. Flew around the place b'fore landing right in the courtyard. Never seen such a beast before!"

Tarinth
2008-02-28, 01:53 PM
Kajiki matters just loud enough to be heard. Oh, so Chatrilon the temple expert didn't tell us about a dragon. Easy to miss though, those dragons. Then Kajiki focuses and listens in to the conversation. If Chatrilon gives me a dirty look I'll ignore it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-28, 02:07 PM

Chatrilon winces at this a moment but manages to visibly restrain his his emotion and ask the trapper, "When did you see this dragon?"

"Oh, it's recent. Just a couple days ago, really."

Chatrilon directs his next comment at the kobold. "Of course, they're hard to miss when they don't move in until after you're gone!"

Tarinth
2008-02-28, 02:32 PM
Kajiki just smiles Of course they are. Hopefully it's had time to move its treasure horde to the site as well. He winks at Chatrilon as the promise of loot blurs his dislike of the man.

Entertainer13
2008-02-29, 02:37 AM
Oh, the standard horse should suffice, thanks.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-29, 10:58 AM
Planting 5, Evening

After Orthus and Lor buy and pack up their horses, Xaod leads them on down a road leading east of Hommlet. After several hours, the trio comes to a fork in the road, on way continuing east, the other way branching of north.

Xaod points down the eastern fork, "Now, depending what happens and whether or not you want to take a closer look at things later on, you might find it interesting to know that down that way lies an outpost used in the Temple of Elemental Evil's campaign. Folks 'round here call it 'The Moathouse.' I was there once, but the place is emptier than a mug of ale at the end of the night. But you should probably be aware of it. The Temple's this way. The paladin sets out down the northern trail.

A bit further down the trail, a forest forms, but the road skirts along its western edge. The forest, whose trees have many twisting branches, seems like it could be forboding in the wrong light and season. But now is the time for blooming, and all the fresh flowers and leaves lend it a definite beauty.

Eventually, the sun sinks low and light grows dim.

"All right! Time to set up camp!

[hr]

(( Megiddo recalls that green dragons tend to be highly territorial. When wandering into one's domain, it never a question of if you will be attacked, but when. Their fighting style is often focused around intimidating their opponent into submission. Despite being able to breathe underwater, green dragons have a strong affinity with the element of air. They attack with acid breath. ))

"Well, that dragon certainly complicates things," says Chatrilon with a tone of dismay.

Another_Poet
2008-02-29, 11:47 AM
Tell

"Not necessarily," Tell muses. "A big dragon probably preys on big food. I doubt it would notice a little sparrow scouting about."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-29, 12:27 PM

"That'd all depend on how ornery he's feeling, I'd think. It's best to leave him alone," advises the woodsman.

Another_Poet
2008-02-29, 12:32 PM
Tell

Tell scowls at the woodsman. "Thanks for the information, but we should be on our way. Ashstaff may not see trapping as the baneful shame that it is, but this druid feels differently. I suggest you turn to more old-fashioned hunting methods before we meet again."

Tell walks down the path away from the woodsman, whether or not his companions follow.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-29, 01:00 PM

Del looks at Tell as he walks away before turning to Megiddo. "Is he always like that?"

Entertainer13
2008-02-29, 08:18 PM
I'll take first watch, unless anybody has any objections...?

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-01, 07:23 AM
Orthus

"Well missy, I have to pray come the true morning, so I must take the second watch regardless."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-01, 11:22 AM
Planting 5, Evening

"Very well. Now, let's set up so we can eat!"

Xaod picks out a campsite between the road and forest and immediately picks out a spot to lay out his bedroll. He only sets up a small shelter for some of his equipment, apparently planning to sleep under the stars.

After setting up his bed roll, he sets up a small cooking fire. "I managed to get some meat before departing, so we'll have a couple meals of real food before we have to settle for trail rations," he says with obvious hunger.

While waiting for the meat to cook, he takes the occasional swig from a jug he unpacked with the rest of his gear.

(( Okay, now that everyone's on the road, might as well give you the benefit of the following map:

http://s15.divshare.com/files/2008/03/01/3923916/templeRoadsSmall.jpg
(Larger Version) (http://s14.divshare.com/files/2008/03/01/3923915/templeRoads.jpg)

Both groups are using the "unused road" dotted line. Xaod, Lor, and Orthus are camping near the bit of forest just off the fork to the north. Everyone else is about a mile away from the fork. ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-03, 12:49 AM
"He stands firm on his beliefs. So do I. So yes, he is always like that."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-03, 08:17 AM

Del scratches his head (without taking his hat off) in confusion. "Firm? So the first part wasn't a joke?"

Tarinth
2008-03-04, 02:04 PM
Kajiki will follow Tell, though as a small creature, trapping is completely acceptable, even desired, by himself and his people from a cultural standpoint. He's not going to argue for it though.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-04, 11:32 PM
((so, we travel towards the moathouse?))

"What are your thoughts on this dragon, Kajiki? I understand that your people have a rapport with dragons. Do you think we could convince it to allow us to take a look around?"

Tarinth
2008-03-05, 10:57 AM
Kajiki looks back with a raised brow. You mean you don't want to kill It? Well, that does change things. I've never met a green dragon, but it'll probably be suspicious of our every move. We should be very careful and patient. It will probably demand something of us in return for allowing us access to its home. We should display some kind of non agressive show of force though or we'll never get its respect.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-05, 11:19 PM
"Well, to be honest, we probably won't have a choice. But there is no need to kill it, and if we drive it off without killing it, I would recommend leaving its horde untouched, as a matter of respect. Dragons live to be very old, and so the death of one is a great loss to te world. I am looking for evidence of extraplanar influence in the area, and to purge whatever I find. Dragons are a natural part of the world."

Tarinth
2008-03-06, 02:59 PM
Yes, even evil dragons demand respect, but if we are forced to drive it off, aren't we entitled to its treasure? Kajiki looks confused at Megiddo's hesitation to grab loot.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-06, 11:12 PM
"If the dragon returns to see its hoard untouched, it will understand that we were being truthful in our intentions. If we take its hoard, then it will assume that we were just lying theives, and seek revenge. Dragons live a very long time, and they will hold a grudge."

Tarinth
2008-03-07, 04:18 PM
Kajiki smiles at the thief comment then shrugs. I don't like picking fights without the promise of reward, but we can try it your way. However, I think most creatures, dragons or otherwise, hold grudges after getting beat on.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-08, 04:40 PM
Planting 6, Early Evening

Lor, Orthus, and Xaod sleep soundly through the night. There wasn't even so much as a false alarm during all three watches. For breakfast, Xaod prepares some more of the salted meat.

By late morning, the trio finds the forest wrapping back and around the road. The twisting branches grow so close together, giving the cool breeze little recourse but to create a near-constant rustling sound.

"The road gets tricky from here on in. It hasn't been used in years, and the forest is trying to take it back."

Naturally, the paladin's words ring true. At times, the road gets so narrow that it is difficult for the horses to squeeze past. A common sight is that of a young shrub or sapling sprouting up in the middle of the road. It quickly becomes easy to see why the place is called the Gnarley Forest.

The sun is low as the group emerges from the other end of this arm of the Forest. They find themselves on a hill overlooking what appears to be a small village.

"That's Nulb. It was once populated entirely by bandits and other evil beings in service to the Temple, which lies just beyond. It's empty now. But it's still dangerous. We're leaving the road and going around it tomorrow. No sense wasting our energy going through it."

[hr]
Planting 6 Early Evening

The group travels on as Kajiki and Tell discuss what to do about the dragon's wealth. Eventually, a branch forks from the road to the North.

"Moathouse is due east."

An hour and a half later, the group comes around a small knoll to find a mostly collapsed building, surrounded by a dank, stagnant moat. The building is a small fortress. It was clearly two stories once, but it seems the entirety of the top floor has collapsed into the first, leaving only smashed and charred timbers. One can only hope the first floor is in better condition.

As yet, there is no sign of the dragon Del mentioned, or, indeed, any other life aside from the mosquitoes, which are surprisingly thick given the cool air.

(( Map is Up (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php). See my post in the OOC thread for more details. Note: The above description assumes you're still a bit further than I've got on the map for now. Let you decide your marching order and whether you'll approach stealthily (and how) before I give you that detail. ))

Tarinth
2008-03-11, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't mind rying to move silently, but as there is only one entrance to the place and I am with many people, that seems silly. Of course, we could try to go over the water and scale the wall if anyone is up for it, but I don't have rope or anything as it would easily encumber me.

To Meggido and Tell- I speak draconic if you want to negotiate in its own language, but it probably knows various languages if you want to do the talking. It may be watching us right now. We should stagger ourselves to avoid the breath weapon and be alertl. Kajiki's unsheaths his wand and readies it in his right hand.

Shhalahr, held action: If the dragon attacks from cover without friendly banter, Kajiki will defenitely turn invisible as soon as posible.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-12, 07:44 AM
Megiddo (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1907)

"I am also quite fluent in Draconic, as most with my training are."

*manifesting Vigor(30hp, 6 min., 6pp) and Inertial Armor (+6 armor, 6 hours, 5pp), both augmented to max -going to look up what that is exactly and edit that in*

*Megiddo is making no attempt to be stealthy, believing his being observed is a foregone conclusion*

Another_Poet
2008-03-12, 12:05 PM
Tell

As the others talk Tell moves up and looks into the water, trying to tell if anything of note lives in it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-12, 03:25 PM

The paladin continues, "Of course, then there's what we're saving our enery for. Perhaps we ought to discuss strategy? We don't have much going for us other than skill, honor, and righteousness. The hobgoblins have numbers and terrain."

[hr]

Tell makes for the moat and takes a examines the water. Though the river that forms the moat has a reasonable flow and the rubble provides a nice, solid bed, the water itself looks sick. It is a dark color, and the only visible life is algae, scum-eating bugs, and mosquito eggs in a few stagnant pockets.

As Tell makes his examination, the reeds around one of the side ponds (( the North side of the one closest to the road )) stir. There's a slight splashing sound as something moves in or out of the water among the reeds.

"Careful," Chatrilon warns, "Something big over there. Can't quite make out what it is, though. Let's not get too close."

(( Tell's Spot (1d20+8=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1525511/), Megiddo's Spot (1d20=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1525512/),
Kajiki's Spot (1d20+9=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1525513/) ))

(( I just realized I forgot about the reeds on the map. They aren't actually drawn in on the map from the book, but they are referred to, so i had to place them myself. They count as Light Undergrowth (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#forest-undergrowth). ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-12, 06:51 PM
Orthus

"I can't particularly tell you what to do, since.. You know.. I don't follow a god of battle. Though, you followers of the Invincible will probably know a lot more than I would."

Another_Poet
2008-03-13, 12:20 PM
Tell

Tell crouches down for one eye-twisting second and then flaps up into the air in the form of an eagle. Rising above the moat, he wheels away from the crumbled fortifications ahead and gets a better look at the creature in the water and the general lay of the place.

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-13, 02:08 PM

"Well, in that case, I'd say planning would be easier if you could tell us what exactly it is you do, friend." There is more than a hint of disdain in Xaod's reply.

[hr]
While the second story on the moathouse has collapsed, enough of the flooring remains in place to conceal the moathouse interior. The only area within the moathouse visible from air is the large courtyard.

Just as Tell gets high enough to see into the courtyard, a flash of movement catches his eye—as of something darting from the courtyard to the moathouse interior. (( On the map, the courtyard is just the large entry area. The main entrance is at the top of the stair section. ))

From this vantage point, Tell can make out what caused the rustling noise. It appears to be an unusually large frog. Looks like it's big enough to eat Kajiki, even. Probably willing to try, too.

The moathouse is nestled between several hills, one with a patch of forest. Between the hills flows the small river that feeds the moat. The moathouse's immediate vicinity is almost like a small marsh formed by the way the fortress displaces the water. There are a number of odd ponds and streams branching off the moat and river. Much like the moat itself, one would expect the area to be teeming with life. But the only visible things larger than the water bugs are a giant frog and three humanoid adventurers.

…And possibly whatever went into the moathouse.

Another_Poet
2008-03-13, 03:24 PM
((Shhalahr: On the map, there are three areas of rubble I am interested in.
1) On the east side, there is a section protruding from the SE corner of the moathouse like a peninsula;

2) On the middle of E wall there is a second section where the wall juts out to the east;

3) On the west side there is some heavy rubble (not the part in the SW by thye tower, but the next collapsed section farther north).

Out of the two eastern ones, I wonder if it looks like we could clamber into the moathouse proper through the collapsed sections?

Otherwise, could we get through (3) to at least enter to the courtyard?

Tell will stay on the south/SW/SE side of the building to scope this stuff out, and not actually fly over the moat or get close. Just wondering if I can find an alternate way in other than going past this frog dude by the bridge.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-13, 04:09 PM
(( Rubble sections 1 and 3 go all the way through the wall, though the mess makes it impossible for anyone to see into the moathouse interior without actually climbing through. Of course, the rubble in section 3 spills into the courtyard, so you can see what's there. :smallwink:

(Probably difficult to really tell that the southeast section goes all the way through from the group's current location and from the air, but I assume Tell will swoop on down—far from the frog and on the safe side of the moat, of course.)

You could also potentially crawl through the section of collapsed wall in the southwest tower. Even if you aren't interested in that one.

The frog isn't by the bridge. It's in the large side-pond. The frog is hiding in the batch of reeds near the eastern stream that's feeding it. Trying to reach the southeast corner without crossing the moat first is likely going to bring you closer to the frog than just using the drawbridge. ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-13, 05:30 PM
Tell

Tell lands near his companions and resumes his human form. He is wearing a wide grin and can barely help from chuckling as he speaks.

"Been a while since I did that. There's something inside the moathouse. Didn't look like a dragon, but I only got a glimpse. There are a couple of back ways in, but we'll have to circle wide around the pond unless we want to deal with a gargantuan frog. It's eaten everything else in these streams, so I bet it's hungry."

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-13, 08:26 PM
Orthus

"What do I do, precisely? I keep people from finding out what it is I do, precisely. It suffices to say that I'm capable of handling myself, in the event of battle."

Entertainer13
2008-03-14, 12:25 AM
Sir Xaod, let us not press things. Orthus is not an evil being, he is on our side, and he has tried to be a friend to me. We shall handle the Hobgoblins as followers of Archpalidan only can.

She hits the long sword at her waist.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-14, 07:12 AM

Grinning sarcastically, Xaod responds, "Okay. But if he's so capable, he can take the entire left flank for us."

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-15, 11:37 AM
Megiddo

"If we can, we should try to take out the frog, quickly, and quietly. If we are forced to flee, we don't want to run into it on the way back. Do you have any druidic magics prepared that could do so without killing it?"

Another_Poet
2008-03-15, 12:21 PM
Tell

Tell scratches his chin thoughtfully, as if he had a beard. He doesn't shave but never seems to get any facial hair.

"I could just go talk to it, but we'd have to offer it something good to get by. Kobold, maybe."

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-15, 03:26 PM
Megiddo

"It is really up to you. I have no problem killing a giant frog. It does seem to be having a negative impact on the local ecology, but I am not knowledgeable in such things, perhaps I am wrong."

"So, do we kill it, talk to it, or avoid it? It is your call."

Another_Poet
2008-03-15, 04:51 PM
Tell

Tell shrugs. "Sure, I'll try talking with it. If we attack it or get attacked, whatever's inside is going to know we're off the main road and we'll lose the element of surprise."

((Shhalahr: I wonder if you can give me some sense of my chances in dealing with a giant predatorial frog. I'd like to offer to give it food, and use summoned animals as the food. I wonder if you think it would be possible to use Summon Nature's Ally to make, like 100 flounders instead of 1 bear (for example). If food doesn't work I could try to intimidate it instead.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-15, 10:23 PM
(( Hey, don't forget Wild Empathy!

Anyway, I don't see any problem with adding useless creatures to a Summons list. Though when a summoned creature dies—such as after being eaten—the body disappears and the creature resurrects in its original location 24 hours later, so I don't think the fish would be a very filling meal. Tell should at the very least be aware of the body disappearing part from personal experience by now, I'd think. (Lack of ranks in Spellcraft would indicate he's probably unaware of the resurrect 24-hours later part, though.)

In any case, Tell knows enough to approach with caution. Frogs' eyes are often bigger than their stomachs. (Auto success on the Knowledge (nature))

Also: Added the Giant Frog to the map (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=1) so you can see where Tell saw it. Didn't add a new figure position file (i.e. it's still on Map #1) since it wouldn't make much difference anyway. ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-16, 02:17 PM
Tell

Tell moves off into the growth on the near (western) side of the pond, casting Speak with Animals as he goes.

He doesn't particularly care if the frog sees him, but he will try to keep noise to a minimum to avoid alerting whoever is inside the ruined castle.

[roll0]

Once at the edge of the pond Tell will wait to see if the frog looks his way. He will wait perfectly still and quiet for up to several minutes if need be for the frog to notice him. He will make sure to stare directly into the frog's eyes. Once the frog notices him he will quietly speak in Frog.

"It is a good day, lots of mosquitos. How are you?"

[roll1]

((Edited: shoot, I used the wrong modifiers on both rolls - I was looking at the wrong character sheet. Move silent roll is actually 2, and animal empathy is actually 20.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-17, 06:09 PM

The frog looks as puzzled as a frog possibly can (which is to say not much) at Tell's approach before responding, "Tiny bugs bad. You look tasty." But he stays rooted to his current location.

All Chatrilon, Kajiki, and Megiddo hear are some rather loud croaking noises.

Another_Poet
2008-03-17, 07:25 PM
Tell

Tell remains emotionless, not reacting to the frog's implicit threat. "I could offer you much better food."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-18, 06:54 AM

Xaod continues, "So what do you say, Orthus? Think you can take half a hobgoblin tribe?"

[hr]

"Food good."

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-18, 07:23 AM
Orthus

"Your obvious vindictive attitude toward me aside.. I feel that's an unfair distribution of the workload. There are three of us, which means we should all be taking on one-third of the camp."

Another_Poet
2008-03-18, 08:53 AM
Tell

"I have three friends who are not food. You let us pass, I give you a LOT of food."

Edited in to make things go quicker: Assuming the frog agrees, Tell will motion his companions forward and they will move counter-clockwise around the pond, i.e. on the side away from the frog and the castle. If the frog gets worried that Tell won't make good on his promise, Tell will interrupt him to ask if fish are alright. Once Tell and the others are east of the frog he'll cast the spell. I'm using SNA-I so the biggest animal is the wolf; I'll assume that's about 50 or 60 fish. (If the frog indicated some other preference I'll summon those instead.) Tell will also tell the frog that, the next time he comes through he will give the frog even MORE food.

All of that was assuming the frog agreed to the exchange. If he doesn't then let me know and we'll figure something out from there.

Further edited: I can't move Tell on the map for some reason, but just assume he would be about 30' east of the frog on the riverbank, with the others hopefully just east of him.

ap

Tarinth
2008-03-18, 12:53 PM
Just letting youguys know I am still here and following. I retroactively give a polite little sneer at Tell's comment about feeding me to a kobold.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-18, 06:05 PM

"Ah, so you aren't that capable? Just figure you're no more or less skilled than either of us? Good to know." It seems like there's just a smidge too much satisfaction in the paladin's voice. "But I wouldn't feel up to taking a full third of them on directly myself. It is a sizeable tribe."

[hr]
The frog agrees to let the group pass for some fish.

As Chatrilon passes, he draws his rapier as well as a simple birch stick that he carried on his belt.

(( Assuming everyone's moving up as Tell suggested and updating the map accordingly (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=3).

Poet: Was Tell actually not moving, or was the problem just with saving the movement—i.e. no password box and submit button? If it's the latter, you're likely on map #1 or #0. The map only allows saving while you're on the current map, otherwise, we could be quite prone to confusion.

I should probably put up a direct link to the current map on the page. Until I do, though, the quick way is to erase the "?num=x" from the end of the url and enter that. Note that when I link to an update, I link to the specific number of the update for record-keeping purposes. So the link above will always go to map #3. ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-18, 06:48 PM
((Thanks, that was the problem. I've moved him now.))

Tell makes sure his possessions are secured on his person and slips into the water, swimming as quietly as possible toward the rubble of the broken tower across the way.

1d20+1

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-18, 06:51 PM
(( Bleargh, I don't know my east and west apparently.

Eh, you guys can move yourselves wherever you want to be. ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-18, 07:10 PM
If the water is calm I dunno if this is needed but:

[roll0]

Entertainer13
2008-03-18, 10:01 PM
Perhaps instead of charging head in, we prudently wait for dark, so we can strike tents quickly. We can still fight with honor, but then they will not know our numbers.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-19, 12:59 AM
Megiddo moves as Tell recommended.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-19, 06:00 AM
Orthus

"Again, I'm not a paladin of a god of battle. Though certain paladins are proving to be less than courageous, so I guess the entry exam isn't particularly hard. Especially since a simple dwarf like myself has to pick up the slack of a coward.

I support the lass' idea. Though, since our paladin friend lacks courage and honor, we may need to amend things abit and use less savory tactics."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-19, 06:46 AM
"What a strange definition of honor you must have to demand allowing the forces of Evil to attain victory by your use of unsound tactics—which is exactly what blindly charging at a force with superior numbers and terrain advantage is. There's no courage in meaningless suicide."

Before the dwarf can respond, Xaod addresses Lor's suggestion. "And they don't have tents. They're holed up in the Temple, remember? At best we can draw out a few guards. We may have to engage in hit and run."

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-19, 08:11 AM
Orthus

"I wasn't addressing that part, you spineless bastard. I was addressing how you were willing to mitigate your only involvement in this plan to someone who doesn't even follow your god. Now if you're quite done being a full yellow-bellied coward, I say we get on with this business. Unless you have more self-serving egotistic drivel to spiel."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-19, 05:31 PM

"Where the hell d'you get the daft idea I'm shirkin' my duties?!"

Entertainer13
2008-03-19, 07:18 PM
Lor speaks in a hushed tone.

Be silent, both of you! Rather than quarrel, let us agree on a plan, or simply agree that defeat these forces is an impossibility, head back to town, and then part ways.

Orthus, I thank you for attempting to help me all this while. I truely do. You are not a servant of the Archpalidan as you have already said, so do not feel beholden to aiding us.

And Xaod, would you rather we quarrel over points of view that truely matter little in the end, or would you rather we crush dark forces beneath or heel and do our Lord proud?

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-20, 02:37 AM
Orthus

"I don't feel beholden to help you. I'm just passing through with nothing better to do. On top of that, I hold no great love for goblinoids of any kind, so the chance to bust some hobgoblin heads is always welcome."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-20, 06:32 AM

"Beholden or not, if you intend to actually do somethin' other than complain and denigrate my honor—something you know absolutely nothing about—I suggest you make a better accounting for yourself than 'I can handle my own.' Believe me. There's always someone that's better. And I ain't going to battle with an untested slimeball who thinks he's too good to let his supposed allies know the extent o' his skills!"

[hr]

Chatrilon observes Tell enter the water. "Hm... I'm not too keen on getting myself soaked. Tell ya what—I'll meet you on the other side." Before anyone can object, he holds up his buckler arm, with which he is holding the birch stick. "Don't worry. I'm more than capable of walking unseen."

As Chatrilon says the word "unseen" he taps the stick against his other arm and immediately disappears from view. The only trace that remains is the sound of his footsteps in the grass.

(( For the sake of moving on, I've moved Kajiki and Megiddo near tell. Since Chatrilon is an ally, I'm not going to bother with taking him off the map and doing the extra record keeping I'd normally want with an invisible NPC. So you, the players, can see him on the map even though your characters can't. Isn't that special?

Map updated (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=5) ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-20, 08:34 AM
Tell

((Does Tell know what exactly this guy just did? Magic item? SLA? Cast Invisibility?

[roll0]
[roll1] ))

Tell treads water as his companion disappears, then swims across to the rubble on the other side.

((Edited: One again I can't move the characters. It only seems to happen at work. I tried the link (num=5) and tried it with no num=x. The problem isn't with saving the movement, it's with moving things at all. It just doesn't work. Anyway, I'm on IE v6.0.2900.2180/ Don't know if that means anything to you. I don;t really mind whether you fix it or not; I can always move the character at home, and it hasn't seemed to interfere with the flow of the game yet.

If you want to move me I'm heading for that peninsula with all the rubble on the SE ide of the building. Hope that's okay with everyone else - there hasn't been a lot of dialogue lately. ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-20, 01:18 PM
Orthus

"Atleast you aren't going into battle with a slimeball who has nothing better to do than pass off his entire purpose to a total outsider. Remember, someone is always worse off than you. After all, you could be in my shoes, coward."

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-21, 02:47 AM
Megiddo

"So your plan is to swim across this moat and climb in over that pile of rubble? There are two things in that plan that I tend to have difficulty accomplishing, but I will trust your judgment"

Swim checks:
I'll probably have to roll quite a few. I'll roll 5, hopefully I won't need more than that, but failing means I have to try again, so, here goes:
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

The way I understand Swim, I move 15 feet, then go under, then move the rest of the way.

Also, I can't get the map to work. I don't see any way to save my movement. I took the shortest path across the water to the pile of rubble.

Entertainer13
2008-03-21, 10:29 AM
"Shut UP! I am sick of this. I truly am. Xaod, you're putting your desires over that of the Archpaladin's! Would he not want you to bring allies to a situation where you would normally be outnumbered?

Give me one good reason why I should not return to the Order right now and say you have gone mad?

She turns to Orthus.

And don't you DARE goad him.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-21, 03:54 PM
Orthus

"I'll go back to honoring the last time you told me not to do that, lass."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-21, 06:35 PM

"You call that an ally?" Xaod asks Lor while pointing at Orthus. "I'll start treating him like ally when he starts acting like one. And mocking for seeking aid does not suffice. In fact, that generally indicates one is not interested in helping." Xaod's tone is almost level as he addresses the knight.

[hr]
(( Poet: IE 6 is notoriously standards-broken. Until I have a chance to find out otherwise, I'll assume that's what's causing the problem on your end.

Anyway, Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft are both trained-only skills, though you can make Knowledge checks with DC ≤ 10. (Yeah, kind of wonky since there's nothing that prevents you from taking 10 on such a check, which means everyone of average or better Int knows everything with DC ≤ 10 when not stressed.) In short, Tell can't say for sure what Chatrilon did, but the stick he's carrying looks like it might be a wand.

Skjaldbakka: If the password box and "Move Them!" button are not appearing under the map, that probably means you are not on the current map. Another way to tell this is to see if there is a "Next Map" link at the top of the page.

It should be noted that there is a sixth map that for some strange reason doesn't seem to have any available figure file at the moment. I'm gonna see if I can clean that up. Then I'll move Tell and Megiddo.

Yeah, you've got Swim right. Though I didn't think much about the DCs. There's a current, so I wouldn't call it Calm. But it's not exactly Rough either, so I'd give it DC 12. Which doesn't alter the outcome of the rolls you stated at all.

If I don't hear anything from Kajiki soon, I'll assume he's following Tell and Megiddo. ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-21, 06:48 PM
((Thanks for reminding me about Spellcraft. And actually, no one can ever take 10 or 20 on knowledge skills - PHB states there are no retries because if you don't make the DC the first roll, you don't know that piece of knowledge.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-21, 07:00 PM
(( No retries does not discount the ability to take 10, as taking 10 does not assume any failures.

See the description of taking 10 (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skills.html#taking-10) and the entry for the try again block of skill descriptions (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skills.html#skill-descriptions). No mention of limited retries restricting the ability to take 10.

See also my note on Knowledge check retries in the house rule block OOC thread. Figured I might as well allow that since it's stupid that you could automatically know something if you made the relevant check two minutes before the monster showed up, but you suddenly couldn't know it at all if you had to know it during the fight. ))

Entertainer13
2008-03-21, 07:13 PM
Do we kill the hobgoblins or not. Obviously you two refuse to get along, so can we agree that ignoring each other and perhaps taking combat orders from me will be best?

If not, we should go back, Orthus can continue on his way, and you and I can talk to the order and perhaps I can be contracted to form a party to investigate the temple.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-21, 07:46 PM

Xaod quickly replies in an effort to hold off any response by Orthus. "Though you have no formal authority in either the Church of Heironeous or the Knights of Veluna, I can agree to your first proposal on the following conditions. First, you give me good reason why I can trust that honorless dog. Second, I personally test his combat ability before we strike. I don't want to be carrying any dead weight when the spawn of Evil are at our backs." As he names the second condition, Xaod glares at Orthus with challenge in his eyes.

Entertainer13
2008-03-21, 08:05 PM
As a Paladin of Heironius, you have inate insight into the hearts of all creatures. You should know if he's evil. Since he is not evil and has for no reason other than kindness helped me since he met me, we know he is not looking for anything other than some worthy way to spend his time.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-21, 08:56 PM
Orthus

"As any reasonable sentient being.. I have to put the same question to you. How can I trust someone who's willing to hand off his entire purpose and the basis of his religious belief over to a complete stranger? You exist to destroy Evil. Your God is one of Battle. And yet you hand off your battle to another? Not only that, but you're a belligerent drunk who's willing to strike an innocent dwarf. I'm starting to doubt everything you've told me so far, and I'd be long gone if not for our mutual friend."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-22, 10:04 AM

"What in the Nine Hells are you talking about?! I have never ever shirked my duty! If you don't want to help, then don't! You're crazy, seeing things that aren't there!

"And are you seriously telling me, Mr. "I can handle myself, I wanna bash some hobgoblins," that you are afraid of a little sparring match?! I ain't talking about striking an innocent dwarf—as if the phrase could apply to you! I'm talking about a test by combat—training! How can you have learned any combat skills without sparring?!"

Xaod stomps of towards his pack of gear, still near the horses. "Well, we can fix that. Right here, right now. I'm a paladin of battle, like you said. So let's battle."

He returns, carrying his shield. "The more capable takes up second in command under Lady Lor. And there we'll have it—a full-on chain-of-command. No room for complaints. No room for insubordination. Most importantly, no room for baseless accusations.

"Choose your weapon."

The paladin draws his sword, "Don't worry. I, at least, know something about sparring. I know how to pull my blows." A strange grin hangs on Xaod's face.

Tarinth
2008-03-23, 12:42 AM
(Sorry, I haven't had much access to a computer over break, and the forums are too clogged in the middle of the day for me to log on.)

Yes, i am following Tell.
Swim/Climb (1d20+3=4, 1d20=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1535320/)

I guess Kajiki needs saving. Shhalarhr, Tell me again why this swampy, Toady moat has enough current to require a check for a character who has trained ranks in swimming? I just wanna get outa this sad check really. Anyway, Help! Help! and then gurgle, gurgle. Chatrilon will never let me live this down.:smallsigh:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-23, 07:56 AM
(( Kajiki: Here's a hint: I said the DC is 12. If you Take 10, your +3 Swim modifier yields an automatic 13, which will succeed. Since there's no great stressor, there's nothing preventing you from taking 10. So that's an automatic success. In short, Kajiki's good enough a swimmer to not need a check.

Megiddo made checks because his Swim modifier is -1, which wouldn't even make the DC 10 for absolutely calm water with no current whatsoever. Taking 10 wouldn't help him at all. ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-24, 08:48 AM
((Okay, so it sounds like our team is across.))

Tell peers into the hole in the wall of the fort. [roll0]

Also, he whispers softly, "Chatrilon?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-24, 12:12 PM

(( Screw it. I'm taking advice from Raymond Chandler. ))

Before Orthus can react to Xaod's challenge, there is a flash of movement out of the corner of his vision. Taking a moment to see what it was in the forest, he sees a bipedal trollish-looking green creature creeping about the underbrush and carrying a spear. From the looks on Lor and Xaod's faces, the two servants of Heironeous noticed it two.

However, Orthus thinks he can also hear a few other large creatures moving, though he cannot see them.

(( Map at http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php. Useful to know about standard and massive trees (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#forest-trees), heavy and light undergrowth (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#forest-undergrowth), gradual slopes (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#hills-gradual-slope), and steep slopes (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#hills-steep-slope).

Probably a good idea to check initiative. ))

[hr]

It is difficult to see far into the moathouse. If the sun were higher, one would at least have th benefit of light filtered through the various openings in the ceiling as well as the gaping hole in the wall. As it is, all Tell can make out is a pile of rubble, what looks to be the start of a hallway, which Tell cannot see into at all, and a few puddles where water seems to have somehow seeped up from the moatbed.

There is no reply from Chatrilon.

Tarinth
2008-03-24, 01:24 PM
Sorry. I am still in 2nd Edition land where "taking ten" is not an option. Thanks for saving me from embarassment. I guess I'll start climbing the outer wall with my nat 20 after a short pause to spread my wings and shake off any excess H2O.

Once on firm ground with Tell, Kajiki looks around a bit.Spot (1d20+9=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1536614/)

Another_Poet
2008-03-24, 01:47 PM
((I thought we were at the bottom of the wall? The wall is broken here so we can sneak inside...))

Tarinth
2008-03-24, 08:40 PM
Uh...yep, that's right. Why do I even bother posting some days. Oh well, I'll use my spot from a less lofty vantage point, though I probably won't see any more than eagle eyes Tell did.

Another_Poet
2008-03-25, 08:22 AM
Also, I don't think climbing a bunch of rocks can be called sneaky. Even we we wanted to be covert, I am the only one who could even realistically try to move silently. I don't even want to know the DC check on that one.

((I think you just volunteered.))

Tell wrings the water out of his gathered-together dreadlocks. "We need someone to sneak in and see what all's in there. Kajiki, that's your specialty isn't it?"

Tarinth
2008-03-25, 01:21 PM
(So Tell, now your quoting too.:smallwink: I think we can follow from my post directly into yours. Why is everyone so quote happy on these forums? It just wastes space. You must all be graduates from the Redundant Colledge of Redundant Collegiate Redundancies at the corner of Redundant Avenue and Redundant Street in the city of Reduncia.:smallamused: )

Kajiki peers around and lowers his voice. I think Chatrilon is already reconoitering the area invisibly. The klast thing i want is to split up any further. Perhaps we should wait for him. On that point, it seems rather rude that he just ditched us in dragon territory. He is supossed to be our guide after all, at least that is what we're paying him for. And for that matter, what is your plan? We need to be more coordinated than this if we encounter a dragon. I think we need a battle plan. For now, let's assume Chatrilon is not available for that plan. Any ideas? As he speaks, rather than looking at Tell directly, he continually turns around looking for any signs of danger.

Another_Poet
2008-03-25, 02:23 PM
Why is everyone so quote happy on these forums? It just wastes space.

((Fair enough. :smallbiggrin: ))

Tell nods. "You're sneaky. I can turn into something sneaky. Megiddo, your magic can make you sneaky, right?"

Tarinth
2008-03-25, 03:57 PM
Kajiki Shrugs. Fair enough. I'd still like to know what Chatrilon is up to. Anyway, he's not the only one who can turn invisible. I'll stay close. Just wistle if you need me. Kajiki uses a charge from his wand after they are done conversing and tries to follow Tell and Megiddo over the rocks, or wherever they go, staying within 15 feet.
Move Silently/Balance/Hide (1d20+9=15, 1d20+4=8, 1d20+18=30) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1537893/)
Forgot: Listen (1d20+7=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1537894/)
Shhalahr, the hide is for moving about in any cover I may come upon and moving near walls and stuff, just incase anyone can detect invisibility. I know hide is only supossed to be used for specific attempts, but it's always fun to roll the dice and see what you get. Too bad it was my only descent roll.

Entertainer13
2008-03-25, 10:54 PM
Lor will unsheathe her Ghost Touch Longsword +1 (love that title) as soon as she can

Initiative: [roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-26, 12:47 PM
(( Forest Fight Initiative
Trolls (22)
Lor (14)
Orthus (13)
Xaod (7) ))

Realizing it's been spotted, the creature in the bushes hurls its spear at Orthus before making a retreat back into the underbrush. At the same time, a strange chanting is heard coming from somewhere just west of the troll.

(( Unsheathing a weapon is a move action or a free action that can be combined with regular movement. You still have at least a standard action, Lor.

Map #1 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=1) ))
[hr]
Before Kajiki can fully enter the moathouse, he notices that one of the puddles is moving very oddly. It's pretty thick to be just water, too. Looks like one of those wierd living dungeon oozes, and it's moving right towards the kobold.

(( Went ahead and rolled initiative for everyone to save time:
Moathouse Initiative
Kajiki (24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1540016/)
Tell (21) ([url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1540013/)
Ooze (9)
Megiddo (5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1540017/)

Map #7 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=7) You guys can do it, too, remember? :smallwink: ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-26, 10:53 PM
Megiddo

"You know I can't, Tell. Such magics have never . . . what is that?"

Megiddo points at the ooze, and projects a ray of fire at the creature. There is a soft humm in the air near Megiddo.

Manifesting Energy Ray [fire], augmenting with 1 PP, and opting for the soft hum, rather than the loud one, for the auditory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#auditory)component.

Attack Roll: [roll0], -4 if ally is in melee
Damage Roll: [roll1] fire damage

18/31 PP, 53/23 HP

Entertainer13
2008-03-27, 12:50 AM
((The password/move thing isn't showing up. I just want her to move near to the forest and say the following))

"Come out! Show yourself!"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-27, 09:32 AM
(( Once again, if the password box isn't showing up, you probably aren't on the current map. Check to see if there's a "Next Map" link at the top of the page.

But then, there was a glitch, too. Somehow a blank mapfile got created and the program was reading that even though there was nothing in the file. So even though Map #1 was the current map, it thought there was a Map #2. If you clicked the "Next Map" link, it would have taken you to a map with no characters on it. I've removed it now. Haven't moved Lor yet, though.

Also, it might help if those of you who only get on once or twice a day and find it's not your turn yet were to post what you're planning on having your character do anyway, and I'll resolve it when it gets to your turn. If what you want to do depends on what might happen before your turn comes up, just post it as an "If <a>, then <b>, else <c>" type statement. For the sake of making it easier on folks whose turns come before you, please refrain from moving your fig in conjunction with a pre-emptive action declaration. I'll move it for you in accordance with your instructions when I resolve your turn.

Oh, and if it should ever matter, I will always assume a character has taken the most direct route from their first position to their second unless explicitly stated otherwise. Obvious hazards (including areas threatened by creatures known to have attacks of opportunity remaining) will be treated as obstacles to this direct path and avoided. ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-27, 11:04 AM
Orthus

"Theres a couple other trolls over there, lass. They're probably setting up a trap."

Orthus just casts a spell. He then moves toward the horses and draws his mace which he wields with both hands.

Orthus casts Aid, Mass. The horses, Lor, himself, and Xaod gain +1 morale bonus to attacks and fear effects. As well as [roll0] temporary HP.

Tarinth
2008-03-27, 11:06 AM
Ok, well Kajiki will glide over it. I assume the ruble is fairly high. Shhalahr, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know how much movement that adds since I'm not technically flying. Anyway, you can move me if you don't like my positioning.

Another_Poet
2008-03-27, 11:23 AM
Tell

If Megiddo's attack does not destroy the ooze, Tell will step away from the rubble to the edge of the water. He cups his hands to his mouth and calls out in frog:

"Whoa, how're we gonna eat this whole thing? There's TOO MUCH food here!"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-27, 01:58 PM

"Trap, huh? Guess I'll have to draw them out. Back me up if ya can!" With that, Xaod tramples off into the brush after the spear thrower.

As Xaod chases the troll, a guttural voice in a language neither Lor, Orthus, nor Xaod recognises. In response a second troll reveals itself hiding high in a tree just east of where the first troll was spotted by tossing its own spear at Lor. Demonstrating spectacularly poor aim, the javelin lodges itself in the ground just short of the intended target.

At the same time, a small bat darts from out of another tree towards Lor. Realizing it's not an ordinary bat, Lor attempts to knock it out the sky, but the bat dodges (( Attack of Opportunity (1d20+11=15, 1d8+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541151/) )) and flies up to Lor, brushing its wings against her. A strange feeling of weariness sweeps over Lor (( Lor has been fatigued (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/abilitiesAndConditions.html#fatigued). )).

Meanwhile the troll Xaod was chasing turns around and confronts Xaod. It takes a swipe at Xaod with its claws, but he knocks the blow away with his shield

More strange chanting preceds a ray of fire that bursts from out of the same tree the bat flew out of, striking Orthus in the chest (( 14 fire damage )). On the bright side, it burns away the leaves that were concealing the troll that was hiding within.

(( Map #3 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=3). I have adjusted Lor's position in accordance with Entertainer13's latest post. ))
[hr]

(( You can glide 20 ft. for every 5 ft. of descent. Let's just round the rubble height up to about five ft. If all Kajiki is doing, he should be able to make it there with a double move.

Oh! And I notice you left the +10 racial bonus to Jump the feat gives you off your character sheet. ))

Kajiki jumps off the rubble. Spreading his wings, he glides across the room. The Ooze slowly slithers after the kobold.

Megiddo's ray burns the Ooze, but it doesn't stop the thing.

Tell moves to the edge of the water. Standing on a pile of rubble just jutting out of the moat, he calls out to tempt the frog.

About the same time, a loud roar comes booming from further within the moathouse. This is followed by a familiar voice crying, "Oh, $#!*!"

(( Map #9 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=9). Moved Megiddo to bring him into range of the Ooze. ))

Entertainer13
2008-03-27, 08:37 PM
Lor takes a deep breath and approaches the nearest troll(1).

"It's just you and me, troll. Do not retreat from my challenge!" ((Not sure about the troll "accepting" the challenge, but I'm just going to swing and not apply the +1 (all it would do is negate the -1 to attack and damage I now have. Stupid fatigue)))

She swings her sword.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-27, 11:43 PM
Megiddo

In retrospect, perhaps I should have told him that invisibility spells are not effective against most dragons.

"Time to finish this." Megiddo concentrates, and there is a sound of thousands of voices whispering, getting louder, and louder, rising to the sounds of a great many shouting, and then silence. A sphere of flame forms first in his mind, and then appears before him, and with a gesture, it slams into the ooze.

Manifesting Energy Missile, and opting for the louder auditory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#display) display, which can be heard within 100ft (barring obstacles that mitigate this distance). Power is augmented to the maximum level.
Damage: [roll0] Fire damage
Reflex Save DC is 21 for half damage. If the dragon happens to show up within 15 ft. of the ooze before my action, two spheres of fire appear, one striking each. I am fairly certain they use the same damage roll.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-28, 08:37 AM
(( Crap! I keep on forgetting certain touch attacks also require saves. Lor should have gotten a Fort save to resist the fatigue. Here Ya go: Fort Save (1d20+5=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1542048/). Hey! Whaddayaknow?! She makes it! Okay, so the effect started to wear on her, but she resisted. She's not fatigued.

Of course, dwarf-seeking scorching rays do not offer saves. :smalltongue:

Oh, yeah, DC 30 is probably enough to let ya know about the blindsense. At the very least, it would point out that most dragons have good enough Spot and Listen checks to pinpoint a creature anyway.

Hm. So Lor's using her Knight's Challenge? Fighting Challenge offers a morale bonus, which doesn't stack with the morale bonus from Orthus's mass aid spell.

Oh, yeah, and Troll is up a tree about 10-15 ft. up. A bit out of Lor's reach. (And just so we're clear, the same goes for the spellcaster (#3). These are climbin' trolls.) ))

Another_Poet
2008-03-28, 09:54 AM
Tell

Tell scrambles over the rubble, moving as fast as he can to get past the ooze and down the hallway toward the loud roar. ((A double movement for me is 40', minus the cost of moving through rubble so I probably don't get far.))

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-28, 10:01 AM
Orthus

The dwarf moves forward again, and casts a spell on the Troll Spellcaster.

Casting my Domain-granted Silence on the spellcasting troll. It needs a DC 17 Will Save or it can't cast spells with verbal components.

Tarinth
2008-03-31, 12:42 PM
Ok, well I guess I wasted a charge from my wand for nothing. Anyway, ignoring the ooze for now, Kajiki will peek around the doorway to see what all the yelling is for. If there is anything icky out there Kajiki will breath weapon it then five foot step back inside the doorway.
Acid BW: Reflex 12 neg (2d6=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1545193/) Naturally, the dragon makes the save.:smallsigh:

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 05:35 AM
OK, still don't know what is going on. Maybe I'm ahead of everybody, but here is round 3 for Megiddo:

*If the dragon and the ooze are both alive and within 15 feet of each other, and the dragon isn't red or otherwise obviously resistant to fire, Megiddo will manifest an augmented energy missile (fire) at both of them.
*If the dragon and the ooze are both alive and within 15 ft. of each other, and the dragon is red or obviously resistant to fire, Megiddo will instead manifest an augmented energy missile (sonic) at both of them.
*If the dragon turned the corner, and took an energy missile (fire) last round, and took damage, and the ooze is dead, Megiddo will manifest an augmented energy ray (fire), unless the dragon is in melee, in which case Megiddo will manifest an augmented energy missile (fire) instead.
*If the ooze or the dragon move up to Megiddo, Megiddo will cast burning hands defensively, unless that would hit a party member, in which case he casts a magic missile instead.
*If the ooze is dead, and the dragon did not turn the corner, then Megiddo will take a double move in the direction of the roar. If it only takes a single move before he has LoE on the dragon, he will manifest an energy ray (electricity) at it (not augmented).
*If the ooze is not dead, and is not in melee with anyone, and the dragon is not in the room, Megiddo will move up to where he can hit it with a burning hands (if he can), or move closer and cast magic missile, if he can't.

Also, if he is in melee, he will manifest/cast defensively: 17 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4132044&postcount=360)

OK, I think that covers plans.

Now, rolls:

Attack roll for energy ray, if needed: [roll0]
Damage Roll for energy ray (fire), augmented: [roll1]
Damage Roll for energy missile, augmented: [roll2] +6 if fire, -6 if sonic, Reflex DC is 21
Damage Roll for burning hands: [roll3] Reflex DC is 17
Damage Roll for magic missile: [roll4]
Damage Roll for non-augmented energy ray (electricity): [roll5]

roll to penetrate SR or PR: [roll6] +2 for energy ray (electricity)

Another_Poet
2008-04-01, 08:44 AM
((Is it time for Tell to take another action yet? Can he see the dragon from where he is?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-01, 09:32 AM

(( Okay, guess it doesn't change much to pretend Lor's action was part of a readied action. She still swings and misses.

Also, I should make trees that are visible underneath the appropriate characters...))

Lor gives the Troll a moment to respond to her challenge as Orthus casts a spell. Upon completion of the spell, the area around the troll spellcaster grows unnaturally silent.

Xaod throws himself into an assault upon the troll that attacked him, but it takes cover, darting back and forth behind a nearby tree. The troll attempts to return the assault, scratching and biting, but is likewise stymied by thick armor and cover.

The troll in the tree responds to Lor's challenge, scrambling down the tree, face first. As the troll approaches, Lor initiates melee combat, but severely mistimes her blow.

Upon realizing what Orthus did, the Troll spellcaster scowls. But he quickly scrambles down his tree and attempts to take a chunk of flesh out of Orthus, but the dwarf handily blocks that blow.

(( What the frell is up with this?! Can no one hit anything?! ))

(( Map #6 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=6) ))
[hr]

Kajiki continues to draw the ooze's attention as Megiddo unleashes more psychic fire. The grey thing bursts into flames and stops moving.

Kajiki takes a look down the hallway but cannot see anything of interest except for a huddled shape in the middle of the floor of the next room.

Tell scrambles over the rubble to get to his friends' aid.

The moathouse shakes with a deep unhuman shout, "No one defiles the sanctity of Utreshimon's Lair and lives!"

(( Map #11 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=11)

I would like to remind those without special vision capabilities that the illumination on the inside of the moathouse is Shadowy. ))

Tarinth
2008-04-01, 01:09 PM
Uh, I guess i forgot to check the Key. Those "arrow slits are exactly how I mark Doors on my maps. Anyway, kajiki wouldn't waste time opening random doors when the shouting of Chatrilon is obviously coming from the Courtyard. I guess it'll be a full move action to peek around the corner and see the dragon. For third round I'll break invisibility and blast it with acid which it will inevitably save against. This has got to be the lamest (for combat) character I have ever generated or even seen in a group.:smallsigh:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-01, 01:30 PM
(( Oops.

Nice to see a several round plan, now, though. :smallwink:

Y'know, while the dragon is focused upon Chatrilon might be a good time to try some of those Combat Traps. Though I don't know if they'll be all that impressive vs. a dragon... ))

Tarinth
2008-04-01, 01:40 PM
Seriously, you don't really want a multiple round if then contingency for a myriad of contingencies for every round then more for each possible contingency the next round, do you? Cuz your not getting that. It's way too much speculation to post as many plans as Meggido. Mabye I'm just lazy, but that's too much unneeded planning for my taste. I only retro posted my last round and this one due to the confusion over my last action.
And you're correct, my two combat traps are worthless verses most oponents and have low DC's and effects.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-01, 01:45 PM
(( Okay, that was a retro-post? Fair enough. ))

Entertainer13
2008-04-01, 10:40 PM
"They're feisty!" Lor says, "I like it!"

Lor initiates a full round attack, swinging at the foul beast twice.

Attack One: [roll0]
-Damage: [roll1]

Attack Two: [roll2]
-Damage: [roll3]

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 11:46 PM
Round 3: Megiddo

Megiddo clambers over the rubble and moves adjacent to Kajiki

It takes a double-move to do that. I can't seem to do anything with the map. There doesn't seem to be any way to save the map.

Another_Poet
2008-04-02, 09:06 AM
Tell

Tell takes a single move (20') toward the dragon, hoping to get a look at both it and Chatrilon.

Whether he can see them or not, he begins casting Summon Nature's Ally II (takes one round to cast) to summon a Hippogriff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hippogriff.htm). (This hippogriff will have a +4 to Str and Con because of Augment Summoning).

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-02, 12:02 PM

Round 3

(( Since Zero figures he can only attack, I'll go with that. ))

Orthus grabs his mace, swinging it at the shaman. The mace just grazes the troll's shoulder (( Mace Attack (1d20+6=21, 1d8+1=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1548114/) )).

Charging his sword with holy energy, Xaod presses his assault, cutting a slice out of his quarry's belly (( Troll 2 )).

Lor makes an even greater showing, biting deeply into her troll's shoulder with several blows (( both hits succeed )). Reeling from this assault, the troll retreats and scrambles 15 ft. up a nearby tree.

The bat starts flittering around in Orthus's face, but the dwarf finds the resolve to ignore the annoyance.

In his flurry, the shaman manages to find an opening in Orthus's defense, scratching him with a claw (( 5 damage )). Orthus feels a strange burning sensation beyond what a tiny scratch like that should have caused, but he grits his teeth and continues fighting ((
Fort Save (1d20+11=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1548122/) )).

Although the trolls have been thoroughly bloodied, their wounds seem to begin closing up almost immediately.

(( Map #7 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=7); Remember, Troll 1 is up a tree. Yeah, I need to make that more obvious on the map. ))

[hr]

Round 4

Megiddo hustles down the hallway to come to Chatrilon's aid.

Kajiki whips around the doorway. Seeing the dragon nearby, he channels arcane energy and unleashes it in a gout of acidic breath. Unfortunately, the acid just washes harmlessly off the dragon. (( Kajiki, are you marking down which spell slots you're using to power the breath weapon? ))

Tell scrambles over the rubble and starts casting a spell.

The dragon turns his attention to Kajiki. Producing a strange rumbling noise that must be what passes for a draconic chuckle before uttering a single word: "Pathetic." He suddenly lashes out at Kajiki with his long neck, nearly snapping the kobold in half. (( 20 damage )).

(( Map #13 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=13) ))

Tarinth
2008-04-02, 01:04 PM
Yes, i am keeping track at the bottom of the character sheet in the personal notes section. I am also keeping track of my HP. Don't worry so much Boss.:smallwink:

Anyway, as soon as my initiative comes up again I am booking it full move away from the dragon. If i am stopped from moving in any way, just make the grapple checks or whatever for me. If i am unconscious, well shoot. There, a multiple contingiency post. Isn't that sweet.:smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-02, 01:15 PM
(( Ah, yes! Right! I'm not used to spontaneous casters. I'm looking at the "Cast/Mem" boxes. Which don't really apply so well when they don't apply to individual spells... :smallredface: ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-02, 03:08 PM
Megiddo:

Megiddo moves around the corner, his fingertips crackling with psionic power, and his hair beginning to rise from the ambient static electricity he gathers around him, forming it into a sphere of electricity. The crackles and static coming from the orb almost sound like voices. With a flick of his wrist, he sends the orb crashing into the dragon.

Manifesting Energy Missile (electricity), augmented to maximum power.
Manifester Level Check: [roll0]
Save DC: 21 (Reflex Half)

Entertainer13
2008-04-02, 07:57 PM
Not worrying about the troll adjacent to her, Lor lets out a cry and charges the fleeing troll.

Attack: [roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-03, 10:34 AM
(( Entertainer: How exactly is Lor planning on charging up the tree? You need both hands to Climb and it's quarter movement, so I think it counts as hindering terrain that blocks a charge anyway... ))

[hr]
Moathouse: Planting 6, Early Evening
Round 5

As Kajiki retreats, Megiddo steps up and unleashes psychic lightning upon the dragon.

"Aahg! Ooh, goodie, a snack with a little bite in it!"

Tell finishes casting the spell, and a hippogriff magically appears in the courtyard.

(( I believe Tell should still have a move action left. He can also direct the hippogriff (represented by the generic large red dot).

Realized Tell had not been properly placed on my last update. Went back and manually changed the previous maps as well as the current.

Map #16 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=16) ))

Another_Poet
2008-04-03, 11:42 AM
Tell

((Actually, I thought he had a standard action left. he used his stnadard last turn and would've needed to use his move from thsi turn to make the full round action. If it's possible I want to immediately begin casting another Sum nat's Ally II this turn. If it's not possible I'll move up to the arrow slits closer to the dragon and cast next turn.))

The hippogriff will fly to the dragon, attacking viciously with its claws.

[roll0]
[roll1]

((My hippogriff's stats are on my char sheet under "Character flaws" (!). Its AC is 15.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-03, 01:00 PM
(( Both starting and completing a full-round action (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html#start-complete-full-round-action) require standard actions of their own. And, really, a spell with a 1 round casting time is more like a full-round-and-a-half action. Not that that means anything in-game. :smalltongue:

How much closer to the dragon do you want to get? I moved Tell a full double move for ya. If you want to tweak the positioning, go right ahead. ))

Round 5:

Utreshimon is no fool and notices the hippogriff's approach. It attempts to ward off the attack with its own bite, gravely wounding the beast (( AoO, 20 damage )). However, loyal to its summoner, the hippogriff presses the assault, tearing off several scales from the dragon's hide.

The dragon responds with overwhelming force. Launching its entire being into tearing apart the hippogriff. He only barely notices when the summoned creature's body starts fading from this plane (( full attack: miss, 19 dmamage, 16 damage. )) "Pathetic annoyance!" He then turns his attention back upon the elf ((And makes a 5-ft. step )).

Megiddo, Kajiki, and Tell all hope that Chatrilon better be doing something worthwhile by now.

(( Map #17 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=17)Map #18 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=18); Round's done. ))

Entertainer13
2008-04-03, 03:41 PM
((Due to the map position and quickly reading, I did not realize her was one of the ones who went up a tree. Fine. I'm still just moving away, using a free action to drop my sword, and use my next action to pull out a throwing axe. I'm beside the tree still.))

Another_Poet
2008-04-03, 03:44 PM
Tell

Scurrying into the small side-room in animal form, Tell blurs back to human and immediately begins casting his second Summoning spell ((hippogriff #2 will come online next turn)).

Tarinth
2008-04-03, 05:32 PM
For round Six Kajiki will open the door he is adjacent to and enter, closing it after him and praying that nothing is currently residing inside. If there is no oposition in the room I will give another futile attempt to damage the dragon with a stream of acid through the arrow slit.
Acid BW (2d6=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1549633/)

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-04, 12:13 AM
Megiddo

"That didn't work a moment ago, what makes you think it will work now, Kajiki?"

Megiddo draws his sword, and mutters a brief incantation, causing the blade to erupt with light.

Casting defensively, if necessary: [roll0] DC 15

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-04, 10:12 AM
Forest, Planting 6, Early Evening

(( ??? Lor does have BAB high enough to draw her weapon as a free action as part of her movement. There's nothing that prevents her from attacking with the axe this round. Given your previously declared action and for the sake of moving things along, I'm going to assume you forgot that and have her attack. ))

Orthus continues to look for opening's in the shaman's defenses, but to no avail (( Morningstar Attack (1d20+6=11, 1d8+1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1550226/) )).

Noticing Orthus's difficulty, Xaod moves up, joining the battle with a mighty smite against the shaman (( Smite Evil is good. )).

Lor drops her sword and hurls an axe at the fleeing troll. Unfortunately, the axe only finds itself embedded in an adjacent branch (( Throwing Axe (1d20+6=10, 1d6+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1550235/) )).

The bat continues to fly around in front of Orthus, making it difficult for him to see the shaman.

Angry at the wound he recieved, the troll spellcaster switches focus upon Xaod, tearing into the paladin with unforseen fury. Though the wound he recieves is only a scratch, Xaod seems noticably weaker within seconds.

The troll Xaod originally engaged attempts to take advantage of this infirmity, but Xaod manages to block its blow.

The troll in the tree sits back, lets its wounds continue to heal, and makes a strange gesture that if Lor knew Troll culture she would understand to be obscene.

The battle rages on in unnatural silence.

(( Map #9 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=9) ))

[hr]
(( It's a move action to both open and close a door. That would let Kajiki either open the door, step inside, and close it or open the door and just move to the arrow slit without closing the door. Kajiki won't be able to breathe upon the dragon at all this round, and the dragon likely will have moved on by next round. (And that's not even considering that Kajiki can't be sure an arrow slit's even there yet.)

Do you wish to reconsider your proposed course of action? ))

Tarinth
2008-04-04, 03:37 PM
Skjald, map check please. Meggido couldn't talk to Kajiki when he is in a completely differnet room or know what Kajiki is planning to do. Anyway, i don't see why acid wouldn't work if the dragon fails its save. I don't know third edition dragons at all, but niether does Kajiki. Also, I find it strange that none of the dragons I have face in third edition have fear effects. What's up with that?

Shhalahr, I'll just hide in the room for a few rounds since Kajiki is worthless.

Entertainer13
2008-04-04, 06:36 PM
Lor pulls out two more, mumbling "Coward".

Full round attack on the same troll.

Attack 1: [roll0]

Attack 1: [roll2]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-09, 11:02 AM
Forest: Planting 6, Early Evening
Round 5

(( Lor, without Quickdraw, drawing a weapon is only free when combined with a regular move. Full attack with thrown weapons other than shuriken (which are treated as ammo instead of regular weapons) are impossible without that feat. ))

Orthus continues his assault, but the shaman is a wily opponent, neatly dodging every swing (( Mace Attack (1d20+6=7, 1d8+1=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1556948/); Curse the natural 1 ))

Clearly affected by some ill fortune, Xaod carefully backs away from the shaman. And more. He appears to retreat, though he refuses to present his backside or take his eyes off his opponents.

Lor hurls another axe. This one comes closer to hitting the mark, but is only a grazing blow.

The troll in the tree repeats its obscene gesture.

The troll that Xaod originally chased takes advantage of the paladin's abscence, and approaches Orthus, scratching and biting. But the dwarf is too heavily armored for the attempts to matter.

Taking advantage of the distraction offered by the bat circling Orthus's face, the shaman manages to find an opening, however (( 4 damage, claw attack )).

Map #10 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=10)
[hr]

Round 6

Megiddo literally sheds light on the situation, though the spell isn't powerful enough to cast enough light to shine directly upon the dragon.

Kajiki opens the nearby door and enters the room, taking the time to shut it again before noticing the nearby arrow slits into the courtyard.

Tell begins to cast another spell.

Utreshimon approaches Megiddo in what can only be described as a casual manner. "As you can see, wizard, the leftovers from my last meal are growing stale. I thank you for saving me the effort of finding something new myself." He concludes the threat, looming over Megiddo and the corpse of his previous victim. Suddenly, the dragon lashes out with its long neck, but Megiddo ducks just in time.

(( Map #20 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=20). Moved Kajiki closer to the door since he wouldn't have a chance to move away from it. ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-10, 12:50 AM
Manifesting Energy Ray (fire)
concentration check: [roll0]
to-hit: [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Megiddo ducks to avoid the teeth of the dragon, and then sends a bolt of flame into the dragon's chest with a quick gesture.

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 08:51 AM
Tell

Tell's valiant, completely willing and voluntary hippogriff appears right next to the dragon on the opposite side from Megiddo (flanking). It begins fighting for honour, glory, and all the other abstract concepts that animals prize so highly.

Augmented Hippogriff stats:
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10+15 (31 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 100 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16* (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
*Declares its dodge againt the dragon
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d4+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+6 ea) and bite +3 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +8
Feats: Dodge, Wingover

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Tell then moves back into the cloister behind him (5' move to get away from the door). He shouts to Megiddo: "Megiddo, get your fool ass in here!"

Shhalahr:
Good news: I can now see and move the figures on the map with IE 6. Bad news: everything else is still just a blue field with black grid.

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 08:53 AM
gah.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Tarinth
2008-04-10, 12:55 PM
Kjiki will happily hang out in the room, praying that nothing comes in and slaughters his scrawny scaley hide. Seriously, he prays to Kurt to grant him the strength to leave others to their death if the need arises. :smallbiggrin:

Entertainer13
2008-04-10, 11:54 PM
Lor sneers and walks back to pick up her sword, and then uses a swift action to issue a Test of Mettle.

Starting at 4th level, a knight can issue a test of mettle. This is a general challenge to all foes within 100 feet. Affected creatures must make Will saves (DC 10 + 1/2 knight level + the knight's Cha modifier). Creatures that fail this save are forced to attack the knight with their ranged or melee attacks (or spells or special attacks) in preference over other available targets. Using this power is a swift action.

Will DC Save: 15

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 12:30 AM
Megiddo

"I'm not about to flee from a dragon this young, Tell. That would just be embarrassing, running away from a dragon younger than I am." He looks back at the dragon with a derisive glance. "I mean seriously, have you even seen a century go by, Utreshimon?" With that, he quickly speaks a few arcane words, and a jet of flame shoots out from his hand, catching the dragon across the face and neck.

Casting Burning Hands Defensively (roll in OOC thread: 21 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4177701&postcount=395))
damage: [roll0]
Reflex save DC: 17

Angling the burning hands so it won't hit the hippogriff.

Another_Poet
2008-04-11, 08:30 AM
Tell growls in frustration. "Defeating a worthless foe doesn't require stupid tactics! Think, elf!"

((If you use your move action to fall back, dragon gets 1 AoO instead of the full atk you're about to get. PLUS he can't fit throhugh the door so it limits his options to attack us, PLUS we can keep wailing on him, PLUS when the dragon moves to attack you the Hippogriff gets an AoO!))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-12, 11:18 AM
Round 6

(( Wow. The silence doesn't have any effect. A challenge can be conveyed through body language. Cool! (I had to double check that.) ))

Despite his continued valiance, Orthus is haveing trouble smashing through the troll's agility and naturally tough skin (( Mace Attack (1d20+6=12, 1d8+1=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1561350/) )).

Xaod suddenly breaks into a run back towards the shaman. Letting out a silent scream, his blade charges with the holy energy of Heironeous, and he cuts a deep wound into the troll's side. (( Critical Hit Charging Smite! But the troll's still standing… ))

Lor retrieves her sword, and issues a number of defiant glares and gestures (( How on earth am I supposed to describe it? )) challenges all the trolls on the field.

Responding to the challenge, the two javelin throwers approach Lor. One reaches her and tries to tear at her with his claws, but cannot get past her shield. (( The other is still approaching. ))

The Shaman's will and desire for revenge against Xaod's attack is so great however, that he continues to push his assault against that paladin. This understandably angers the shaman, who lets loose with a furious attack against the paladin. Despite still being off-balance from his charge, he is able to block every blow except for a small but nasty scratch.

The bat continues its attempts to distract Orthus, but Orthus is able ignore it.

(( Map #12 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=12) ))
[hr]

Round 7

Megiddo's bolt of fire hits Utreshimon square in the chest and clearly singes some scales, but the dragon laughs it off, "Ha! Is that the best you can do?" (( Yeah, it did full damage, but that damage was pitiful. ))

Megiddo finishes his spell, causing another hippogriff to spring into being. This one appears directly in front of the dragon. It lashes out at the beast, but neither its claws nor its beak can penetrate the scales. (( Man, were those some sucky rolls. ))

"It's getting crowded in here." Utreshimon retreats further into the moathouse, just outside the radius of light provided by Megiddo's spell (with Megiddo taking an ineffective parting shot at the dragon ((
AoO (1d20+2=17, 1d8-1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1561458/) )). He takes a deep breath. When he exhales, a large cloud of acid is expelled from his mouth, engulfing Megiddo and the hippogriff. (( Megiddo takes 9 acid damage (Reflex Save (1d20+5=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1561407/)), Hippogriff takes 19 damage (Reflex Save (1d20+5=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1561410/)) ))

Suddenly, a scream of frustration comes from a spot near the moathouse doorway, "Agh! Back me up!"

A moment later, the dragon screams in pain and Chatrilon appears, pulling his rapier from between two scales near where the beast's heart should be. Interestingly, the rogue appears to be relatively unscathed, even though it's certain he's weathered several attack attempts before the rest of the group arrived and the dragon surely aimed his last attack to engulf him as well as Megiddo and the hippogriff.

"You'll pay for that, little worm!"

(( Map #22 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=22) ))

Entertainer13
2008-04-13, 12:28 AM
Full Round attack on Troll 2. ((I love calling the jerks out! I triple checked that ruling, DM o Mine!))

attack: [roll0]
-damage: [roll1]

attack: [roll2]
-damage: [roll3]

Another_Poet
2008-04-13, 02:08 PM
((Hippogriff gets an AoO!))

[roll0]

[roll1]

((I'll post the rest of my round soon.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-13, 05:49 PM
(( Oh, yeah. Hippogriff gets it, too. But he misses. ))

Another_Poet
2008-04-13, 11:04 PM
Tell

Hippogriff moves and attacks... (will flank with Chatrilon)

[roll0]

[roll1]

Tell begins casting another Summon spell (sacrificing a CLW to convert the slot).

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-14, 12:06 AM
Megiddo

Megiddo emerges seemingly unscathed from the blast of acid, although his clothes are somewhat singed. "Did you really think I would come into this unprepared, dragon? That is a mistake made by the young. One does not get to be as old as I by making foolish mistakes like that. That is a lesson you would do well to learn, if you survive this encounter."

He speaks a few words of power and a bolt of flame leaps from his outstreched hand towards the dragon, striking it across the face, narrowly missing its eye*. He then moves up to the dragon, daring it to do its worst.

Temporary HPs for the win!
Casting scorching ray, and then moving up to flank with Chatrilon, provoking an AoO from the dragon.
To-Hit: [roll0] (I'm not considered to be firing into melee, since part of the dragon is 10' away from Chatrilon, the only ally in melee with it).

*19 on the die, sooo close to a crit. I took some artistic license with that, hope you don't mind.

Tarinth
2008-04-14, 07:57 PM
Kajiki will maintain his position and listen for signs that the dragon has been vanquished.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-17, 10:17 AM
Round 7

Orthus delivers a mighty blow. It feels like he might have broken one of the troll's bones, but within the silence, there is no confirming crack. (( Mace Attack (1d20+6=21, 1d8+1=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1568259/) ))

Distracted by the new injury, the troll is taken slightly off guard and recieves another nasty scratch at the hands of Xaod.

Lor manages to deliver a wound to her quarry (( first attack hits, second misses )).

The shaman scratches and bites and scratches at Xaod before taking a step away and out of the underbrush, leaving Xaod covered in blood, but still barely standing.

The other trolls begin to surround Lor, but she valiantly defends herself against the onslaught, recieving only one minor scratch (( 7 damage )).

Meanwhile, that annoying bat continues to obstruct Orthus's view of the shaman.

(( Map #13 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=13) ))

[hr]
Moathouse: Planting 6, Early Evevning
Round 8

The dragon screams in pain and frustration before taking a snap at the approaching elf (( AoO, 11 damage )).

Taking advantage of the opening provided by the Megiddo, the hippogriff glides towards the dragon and tries to scratch it, but is unable to penetrate Utreshimon's scales.

Angered by the severity of the attacks by the rogue and cerebremancer, Utreshimon lashes out at both opponents with everything he's got. But the combatants are more than graceful enough to avoid the storm of wings, teeth, claws, and tail. (( The most amazing flurry of whiffs I have ever seen. ))

Driven on to more visible courage, Chatrilon launches another attack against the dragon, but is unable to reach any point unprotected by Utreshimon's scales.

(( Map #24 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=24) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 08:17 PM
Megiddo

The dragon's teeth tear into the elf, but leave his flesh unmarred. "I am not here to slay you, Utreshimon. If it is your desire to survive, I will allow you to flee," Megiddo speaks in Draconic, matching his opponent's gaze, watching for any sudden movement in his direction.

OOC: Readying an action for total defense if Utreshimon begins to attack Megiddo.

Another_Poet
2008-04-17, 09:13 PM
Tell

Tell joins in shouting at the dragon. "Listen to him, Dragon! My friend has a big mouth but he's not kidding. We're going to slap you stupid and ---- you silly!"

The hippogriff doesn't pay any heed to the ongoing conversation, pressing its attack.
[roll0] (flanking with Meg)
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

This is the hippogriff's 3rd round out of 4.

Tell moves to get a view through the door, raises his bow and shoots.

[roll6]
[roll7]

Another_Poet
2008-04-17, 09:25 PM
Crit?

Nat 20 on Hippogriff's R claw, rolling to confirm.
[roll0]

[roll1]

(I'm not sure whether you roll the damage twice or just multiply the first roll by 2. Either way, you gots what you need.)

Entertainer13
2008-04-18, 12:30 AM
Attack troll two again!

Attack 2: [roll2]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-18, 11:40 AM
Forest, Planting 6, Early Evening
Round 8

(( Guess Orthus is still pressing the melee attack? )) Orthus smashes the troll again, possibly breaking another rib. (( Mace Attack (1d20+6=26, 1d4+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569419/), Crit Confirmation (1d20+6=7, 1d4+1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569420/), Damage Redo (1d8+1=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569422/); Hit, but no critical ))

Xaod places his hand over his heart, and, under a magical glow, the bleeding from his wounds slow, but it does not stop. As he does so, he steps into the underbrush, clsoer to the shaman.

Lor delivers another stellar blow to the troll, but she knows that most of the wound will quickly heal over, given the trolls' stunning regenative powers. She must steel herself to strike with greater force and speed. (( First blow hits, second misses )).

The shaman continues its fighting retreat, delivering another not-inconsiderable scratch to the paladin.

Though she defends herself admirably, Lor is struck by one of her opponent's claws (( Troll 2, 5 damage )). As it cuts into her, she feels a burning sensation (( Fort Save/Poison Damage (1d20+5=16, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569453/); failed, 6 Con damage; If you follow thi link, I accidentally told it to roll twice. Ignore the second roll set. )). She suddenly realizes why Xaod is sweating so heavily.

(( Map # 14 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=14) ))

[hr]
Moathouse: Plantign 6, Early Evening
Round 9

(( Hey, Tell! What about the second hippogriff you spent the last round summoning? (I assume that's what you're summoning. You've been pretty focused on them, and for good reason.) ))

Utreshimon makes a strange noise, halfway between a chuckle and a strange gasp of surprise. He addresses Megiddo as Megiddo addressed him—in Draconic. "Flee? From a being that takes pride in his eventual senility? Only in dragons does age grant power!"

At that moment, Tell finishes his spell, and a second hippogriff appears and joins the others in attacking the dragon as tell fires his bow. (( Tell, miss, dragon AoO vs. second hippogriff miss, everything from the hipogriff hits, including the critical confirmation. (
Claw (1d20+10=22, 1d4+6=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569476/)) ))

Reverting back to Common the severely wounded dragon adds, with a note of considerable panic, "But this isn't a fair fight. Even the most powerful can be overwhelmed with sufficient numbers! Back down!" The dragon, surrounded, takes up, for the first time this whole battle, a clearly defensive stance.

Chatrilon screams, "Not on your life!" He darts in, breaks through Utreshimon's blocks and stabs the dragon in the chest.

Utreshimon falls, his life blood emptying onto the broken flagstone.

(( Map #25 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=25); Second Hippogriff is Blue ))

Another_Poet
2008-04-18, 12:55 PM
Shhalahr:
I totally forgot about Hippogriff #2 (actually#3). Thanks for remembering! It looks like you rolled all three attacks for it, is that correct?

Tell strides forward from his cloister, arrow nocked and ready to fire. "Hey Dragon, you hear me?" he asks. "We can still heal you. You don't have to die here. Just surrender your hoard to us and you're on your way."

((Tell, Hippogriff #2, and Hippogriff #3 will ready actions to attack the dragon if he takes any further offensive action in his death throws.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-18, 02:01 PM
(( Tell's position when he was casting the spell didn't allow for the hippogriff to appear within 5 ft. of the dragon, so it only got a single attack. I realize I wasn't clear that that last "claw" roll was from the new hippogriff. I even gave it the flanking bonus by accident, but it would have hit anyway.

I'm numbered the hippogriffs based on how many are currently on the field. The original hippogriff 1 didn't last very long. :smalltongue: ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-18, 02:31 PM
Orthus

The dwarf moves back quickly and offers his prayers to the Mad Mage. The wooden morningstar grows much sharper as it's spikes immediately grow larger and the wood grows slick and black colored.

Move action to move back 15 feet(just outside the silence effect). Cast Brambles.

Entertainer13
2008-04-19, 01:07 AM
((You've GOT to be kidding me. I have good Con save for a reason... Oh well, Lor doesn't know stat scores! :smallbiggrin: Also, good thing it wasn't strength!))

((Also, I just noticed, I have not been taking into account the magical awesomeness of my sword, so I've been missing +1 to my damage and attack, between the "challenge" I've issued. Of course, is that null and void witht he group fight? I would say yes, I'm fighting two now. So I'll keep up with what I'm doing))

Same as usual...

- Damage: [roll1]

- Damage: [roll3]

Tarinth
2008-04-19, 12:56 PM
After waiting one full round to be sure the fighting has ended, Kajiki will take a round to open the door and use the rest of his movement to advance warily towards the party. He is visably wounded to a critical extent.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-19, 07:08 PM
Megiddo

Megiddo walks up to the fallen dragon, and drives his sword through its skull, granting it a quick death. He mutters a brief prayer to Boccob in Draconic, mourning the passing of a great and noble creature of magic. He then turns to Chatrilon, his eyes glistening with rage and tears, his voice raised in anger for the first time any here have heard it so. "We will conclude our business here, and then we will part ways. You have bought your glory and your gold at the price of blood nobler than yours. If I ever see you again, I will kill you where you stand."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-19, 09:26 PM
Round 9

(( Okay, I admit it's my bad for just labeling the Spellcaster "#3", but Orthus actually moved deeper into the silence effect. It looks like you thought #2 was the Shaman, Zero. I moved him to where he probably should of gone in terms of shortest route out of the silence (straight North rather than West.) Adjust it if you want. I'm assuming the silence is centered on the northeast/upper-right corner of the shaman's square.

Also of note, Troll #1 is outside the silence effect, too. ))

As Orthus casts his spell, Xaod presses his attack against the shaman, but the troll remains on the defensive, blocking or dodging every blow.

Lor is learning the hard way just how tough troll-hide can be. Most of her successful blows come down to mere scratches, but they're getting deep enough to outpace the healing (( first misses, second hits )).

The bat that was bothering Orthus rejoins its master as the shaman fully breaks off from his confrontation with Xaod and retreats up a tree (about 15 ft. up).

While facing down the trolls, Lor leave herself open, and suffers several nasty scratches. (( It's a grudge match between Lor and Troll #2. Troll #1 has yet to hit anyone! Troll #2 hits with both claws, for 11 damage total. No poison this time. ))

(( Map #18 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=18) ))

[hr]
Round 10

Chatrilon's jaw drops in shock. "Noble?! It wanted to eat us! Look what it did to that other poor soul!" He points to the dead body in the center of the room. "You pull this nobility crap after mocking it and delivering a coup de grace? And you can't even do that properly. You barely cracked its skull! When trying to finish something off, you aim for a soft spot."

Entertainer13
2008-04-20, 09:48 PM
Same old, same old...

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-20, 11:25 PM
Megiddo

"Take your treasure and leave. I have no more words for the dead."

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-21, 03:39 AM
Orthus

The Mace moves backwards, stepping around to put a clear line between himself as the trolls attacking Lor. He does not speak, in hopes of not drawing attention to himself. In the meantime, however, a whispered prayer to Zagyg grants the small dwarf an extra set of arms, which he immediately uses to grasp his mace in a new four-armed grasp.

Move: Move up and around to put himself in charge range of the other trolls.
Standard: Cast Girallon's Blessing for an extra two arms, which he uses to quadruple-grip the morningstar for an extra +1 to damage.

Just in case you don't hear from me again: Orthus plans to charge the troll in front of Lor, accepting the AoOs since he can't Tumble. He'll swing at a +9 bonus, with the charge bonus converted into Power Attack damage. His morningstar does 1d8+12(+2 from quad-handing, +6 from Brambles, +4 from Power Attack)

Tarinth
2008-04-21, 11:27 AM
Kajiki moves toward the dead dragon and surrounding company. He silently observes Megiddo's argument with Chatrilon in quiet bewilderment, looking to Tell with a raised brow asking for some information.:smallconfused:

Another_Poet
2008-04-21, 12:30 PM
Tell shrugs. "Magical beasts are kind of Megiddo's thing. He has a lot of respect for them, even the deadly ones." He is sure to say it softly enough that it is meant for Kajiki's ears, rather than catching the attention of Megiddo or Chatrilon.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-22, 09:18 AM
Round 10

Xaod glares at the shaman in the tree. He then walks to his horse, sheathing his sword as he does so.

Lor finally manages to hit several solid hits against her opponent, sending the troll reeling (( both attacks hit )).

The wounded troll withdraws, once again retreating to the safety of a nearby tree.

Being so focused on attacking that particular troll, Lor lets its retreat distract her giving the chance for the other troll to deliver a nasty scratch (( 7 damage; Fort Save/Poison Damage (1d20+5=20, 1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1573814/), save succeeds, no damage (yes, I know, I accidentally put in too big of a modifier. Still saves.) ))

The shaman grabs something small from a pouch he's carrying and closes his fist over it. A moment later, he extends his arm, throwing a strange light brown dust into the air. The ground just under the tree ripples and rises, taking on a large but vaguely humanoid shape. This mass of dirt and rock advances toward Xaod and attacks with what would be its gargantuan fists, but the paladin is able to dodge the blows.

(( Map #20 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=20) ))

[hr]
Round 11

"Heh. Very well then." Chatrilon tucks his wand into his belt and sheathes his rapier as he heads towards the body in the middle of the room. "I'd be careful 'round this one, Tell. Next thing you know, he'll be trying to feed you to a passing troll."

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 10:00 AM
Tell

Tell doesn't answer directly. "Take care of yourself, Chatrilon," is all he says.

Once the ranger has walked off, however, and is clearly out of earshot, Tell will turn to Megiddo. "You alright?"

Tarinth
2008-04-22, 01:07 PM
Kajiki limps over to the dragon corpse and looks it over. After Megiddo and Tell have talked a bit he speaks. I don't mean to offend anyone, but since the damage has already been done, there's no use letting goods scales go to waste. Tell, would you skin it after our wounds have been tended?
((I guess this is second edition speaking. Do dragon scales still fetch a sweet price in third? If not, disregard the comment.))

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 01:29 PM
Tell

Tell murmurs thanks to his hippogriffs as they fade into nothingness. To Kajiki, he nods. "I can do that. And some nice steaks too. Anybody want the heart?"

He looks over the body, noting prime sections of undamaged hide and trying to estimate how much they can carry back to town. He muses as he looks over the corpse. "I can patch up one person's wounds. Not a lot but enough. So whoever needs it the most, let me know. I'd like to spend the rest of the day somewhere safe, but we should probably push on and find this guy's hoard before something else does. Maybe once we find it we can hole up there while we rest."

[roll0]

[roll1]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-22, 01:54 PM
Moathouse: Planting 6, Early Evenging - Evening

(( Okay, moving on a bit quicker than I expected… Just want to finish one last important detail with Chatrilon before you guys decide he's totally gone. ))

Chatrilon examines the corpse on the floor for a moment. He takes something from around its neck as well as a mace that was near the body.

"This," he says, holding out what appears to be a necklace, though any pendant it may carry is concealed in his fist, "is payment for services rendered. And this," indicating the mace, "is penalty for callous disregard of your guide's life and limb." With that, Tell heads out the door.

(( Where ya gonna do this cutting up, Tell? ))

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 02:11 PM
((I assume I'll just do it here where the dragon fell, unless I see anything dangerous around or a good reason not to:

[roll0]
[roll1] ))

I'll also ask Kajiki if he wouldn't mind delivering some entrails to the frog outside.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-22, 06:00 PM
Megiddo

The elven wizard remains silent and still while he waits for Chatrilon to leave. When he does, he responds to the queries of his packmates. "Do what you will the body, it is nothing more than a shell." He then walks over to the wall and sits with his back to it, and is silent while Tell deals with the body of the fallen dragon.

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 08:24 PM
When the butchering is finished, Tell will either wait till Kajiki takes the entrails for the frog (if he is willing to) or simply ask the kobold to give them a few minutes alone (if he isn't).

Tell goes and squats against the same wall as Megiddo and waits a minute. Then he speaks.

"We have different reasons, but I think it's a shame, too."

Entertainer13
2008-04-22, 10:28 PM
((Is the troll tumbling away all the time? I didn't get an AoOpportunity the first time or this one. Have you been remembering to add my level to his Tumble DC check? I have Vigilant Defender. I checked the SRD and I can't find anything about Withdraw, and I don't remember... is that where you just flee and don't worry about AoO?))

Attack Troll 1.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-22, 10:48 PM
Megiddo

Megiddo finishes composing himself, and then stands. "I imagine we could find someplace in here and rest safely, if we keep a watch. Not many denizens of the area would threaten a dragon's lair. You wouldn't happen to have any mending spells prepared, would you?" he says, looking down at his tattered and scorched robes. "If not, I'll prepare one in the morning. But first, to search the area."
Megiddo will reach into a case and pull out a wand, and begin scanning the area, first using detect magic, and then detect evil, and then the other alignments (he has a wand of each, let me know how many charges of each wand that takes. the detect alignment wands are 10 min/charge, and detect magic is 1min/charge).

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-22, 10:55 PM
Orthus

The dwarf charges toward Lor, aiming his attack at the troll standing beside her. He swings the spikey wooden mace with all his might.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Attack & Damage modifications:
1d20 + 1(STR) + 4(BAB) + 6(Brambles) + 2 (Charge) + 1(Aid) + 1(MWK) - 5(Power Attack)
1d8 + 2.5(STR) + 10(Power Attack) + 6(Brambles)

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 11:13 PM
Tell

Tell shrugs. He's not going to push the elf to open up if he doesn't want to.

"Nah," he says. "Nothing like that. But I could put together a rawhide robe for you in a jiffy."

((I take it that can be included in the 31 I rolled on the skinning check?))

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-22, 11:23 PM
Megiddo

"Unnecessary, I'll manage until the morning."

Entertainer13
2008-04-22, 11:25 PM
((I found it. Ignore my Withdraw question.))

Tarinth
2008-04-23, 10:57 AM
Kajiki will take Tell's heal for 5 points since megiddo didn't claim it. Kajiki refuses to feed the frog and goes off toward the bridge to quietly watch Chatrilon leave and ponder the situation until it is indicated that he return.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-24, 10:09 AM
Round 11

Orthus engages in a reckless charge. Too reckless, he swings wide and completely misses the target.

Xaod looks from troll to troll to troll to elemental before climbing onto his horse, dodging another attack from the elemental as he does so. He quickly rides out of the ill effects of Orthus's silence spell and shouts, "We can't keep up like this! Either surround one at a time and pick it off before it gets to a tree, or get to your mounts and let's take this to more favorable terrain!"

(( Lor, you gonna take Xaod's advice or follow through with those attacks? ))

(( Map #22 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=22) ))

[hr]
Moathouse: Planting 6, Evening

While Tell starts to work on the dragon, Kajiki makes his way through the rubble-strewn courtyard to observe Chatrilon's departure. Even in the fading light, he can make out the brown color of sun-dried blood all over the courtyard and leading into the moathouse's entry hall.

Just as Kajiki arrives at the drawbridge, Chatrilon unexpectedly looks back towards the moathouse, but only for a moment. As soon as he register's Kajiki's presence, he quickly turns back and continues down the road.

Glancing down for a moment, Kajiki realizes that the rotten drawbridge has recently been reinforced with several, obviously new planks.

(( Assuming Megiddo will squander no time in order to save charges—that he'll just quick check for auras and be gone if none are there. So I'll save detailed room descriptions for later, when you make a more thorough exploration. A quick perusal such as that can be completed in about 4 minutes, so that's 4 charges for detect magic, and 1 charge for each of the alignments. ))

Meanwhile, Megiddo takes a quick look around the moathouse. Actually, he takes five quick looks around the moathouse, using different spells to search for anything unusual. The spells only reveal to him several magic auras, one coming from a shorbow by the corpse in the northwest corner of Utreshimon's lair (faint evocation), and another from a scrollcase tucked in the belt of the corpse in the middle (faint conjuration) as well as a lingering, but quickly fading aura of evil from around the dead dragon. (( Not counting, of course, the auras generated by his companions and their gear. If ya want those, you can check the sheets. ))

While performing these patrols, one mundane item of significance Megiddo finds is a narrow staircase leading to some level below the fortress.

(( It will take about two hours for Tell to complete cutting up the dragon. After that, he'll still have to cook and/or preserve any meat. Got any salt? Actually, one of the smaller side rooms could possibly be converted into a makeshift smokehouse.

As to clothing manufacture, the 31 survival check is enough to get quality scales off. But the clothes themselves would require a Craft (tailor) check. DC 10 for a simple robe. Yeah, you could take 10. ))

Another_Poet
2008-04-24, 10:40 AM
Tell

Tell cuts up several nice dragon filets mignon, and also claims the heart. He sets these aside, using a strip of dragon hide as a napkin to keep them off the ground.

He will take the biggest pieces of hide he can, scrape them and hang them up so they are off the ground - that should be enough for the night. Since Megiddo didn't want a robe he doesn't bother making one. For the meat, he pauses and thinks about it. He has to admit it is more meat than he has any use for and too heavy to carry back to town. It's a shame Chatrilon didn't stay long enough to take some.

Shrugging, he just takes the few steaks he already cut and starts to build a little fire. The fire is actually inside the covered part of the structure ((I'll mark where with Tell on the last map.)) He also carries out a heaping armful of entrails, steak scraps and fat and places it at the far end of the drawbridge. He sighs in frustration, wondering why it is so easy to speak Frog under that spell but so hard to remember the noises and their meanings afterward. Frustrated, he just makes his best imitation at a rrrribit! and heads back into the fort.

Once the fire has gone down to coals, he will skewer the steaks and begin to roast them, turning them every few minutes. He butterflies the heart, smothers it with dragon fat and folds it shut, then wraps it in more fat and a thin piece of hide. This packet he buries in the coals and lets be.

If Megiddo mentions the staircase Tell asks, "Well, do you want to go down tonight or wait for morning?"

To Kajiki, he makes small talk. "Seemed like you had a hard time today. But if we're going deeper into these ruins you'll probably find your skills in high demand. You holding up okay?"

((Is the magic shortbow a composite? If so what do I have to do to figure out the strength rating?))

Tarinth
2008-04-24, 11:23 AM
Kajiki shrugs. Today was close. It will be worse with only two real combatants. There are fresh planks at the bridge. I highly doubt they were there for Ultremosh. Perhaps we should go back to town and pick up your dwarven friend.
Aside from that, Kajiki keeps quiet the rest of the night and casually keeps his distance from Megiddo.

Another_Poet
2008-04-24, 11:30 AM
Tell

Tell ponders the kobold's words. "Hmm, fresh planks? Thar doesn't bode well." He thinks for another moment. "The dwarf has probably moved on by now. He seemed the roving type. But there has to be a better way to proceed than just going in blind."

He calls over to Megiddo. "Hey Meg, any ideas?"

Tarinth
2008-04-24, 11:35 AM
As Tell calls for Megiddo, Kajiki moves away as if to get some food, but doesn't seem to eat much.

Another_Poet
2008-04-24, 12:23 PM
Tell

Tell looks quizzically at the kobold's lack of appetite and then suddenly puts the pieces together.

"O! You don't eat dragon, huh?"

Tarinth
2008-04-24, 12:55 PM
Kajiki takes an oversized bite of Ultremosh mignon. I eat dragon. We should find a deffensible room to bed down for the night.

Entertainer13
2008-04-24, 04:01 PM
In Lor's mind, if he wants to help, that's his business. She'll withdraw next turn if he doesn't make a move to bunch up on the troll she's fighting.

Yes, follow through. I'm role playing here.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-25, 10:47 AM
Round 11 (cont.)

Lor scores a couple of weak, but otherwise effective blows against her target.

The trolls in the trees both take the time to retrieve small clay jars from their pouches and start rubbing the contents onto their claws.

Maneuvering to put Lor between himself and Orthus, the troll on the ground continues his assault against the knight, delivering another migty scratch (( 5 damage )), though thankfully it is with the claw that has already used up its deadly poison.

The elemental advances to the next nearest target, which happens to be the harried Lor. Fortunately, the stone creature's attacks are slow and easily avoided.

(( Map #23 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=23) ))

[hr]
Moathouse: Evening

When he gets a chance to examine the shortbow, Tell finds it is a standard, non-composite variety.

Another_Poet
2008-04-25, 11:10 AM
Tell hands the shortbow to the kobold and comments, "Look, our chances of success went up already!"

((Are there arrows with it? If not I will give Kajiki some of my own, so please let me know.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-25, 11:23 AM
Moathouse: Evening

The corpse, that of a relatively young halfling woman in black studded leather armor, also had a quiver on it. The quiver contains 12 arrows.

(( Gonna take a more thourough look? ))

Another_Poet
2008-04-25, 11:39 AM
((Sure, I'll take 20 on a seach effort twice - once for each corpse. So a pair of 22's.))

Tarinth
2008-04-25, 01:10 PM
Kajiki looks down at the bow rather skeptically.I guess I could give it a try.

What penalties will I take when I use this?

Entertainer13
2008-04-25, 05:50 PM
With the stone creature on her, even Lor's not that stubborn. She withdraws.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-25, 06:57 PM
Orthus

The dwarf, seeing no reason to stick around, withdraws as close to his horse as he can.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-26, 03:16 PM
Round 12

Despite Orthus's cautious withdrawl, the elemental is able to use its vast reach to take a parting shot at the dwarf. Its swings may be wild, but they're more than power enough to carry their impact through the dwarf's heavy armor (( AoO, 21 damage )).

Lor is able to take advantage of the elemental's focus upon the dwarf to get past the creature unscathed as she makes her way to her mount.

Xaod moves to cover his allies' retreat, cutting a slice of rock off the elemental as he does so.

The elemental takes another wild swing, aiming for the paladin's mount, but the horse, under Xaod's expert control avoids the stone fist.

The troll on the ground easily avoids Xaod and pursues Lor, but, despite its attempt to take another chunk of flesh out of her, he only hits steel.

"Not that way! Get to your mount, m'Lady!"

Meanwhile, the trolls in the trees continue to cover their claws with whatever is in their little clay jars.

(( Map #25 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=25) ))

[hr]

Examining the corpses, Tell finds nothing particularly unusual. Aside from the bow and arrows, the halfling carried a money pouch containing 13 wheatsheafs (gp), and 3 polished, green stones. She wears meticulously cleaned and very flexible black studded leather armor, soft-soled leather boots, and a pendant of a black equilateral triangle and three yellow lines extending from the center to the midpoint of each of the triangle's sides (the triangle hangs pointing downwards. The rest of her clothing is simple and utilitarian, mostly padding for her armor, and almost all of it is likewise black. The halfling's features were relatively plain, but most of her face appears to have been eaten away by a powerful acid.

The other corpse in the center of the room is a male human with a shaved head. Tucked under his ochre robes, Tell retrieves the scroll case, which appears to be covered in magical writing, as well as a mask made of a strange lilac-colored stone. The only opening on the mask are holes for the eyes and nostrils. Carved into the mask is an ugly face with a stern grimace. His money pouch contains 24 weatsheafs, and under the robe he wears a suit of chainmail.

The chainmail covered in dried blood, which from the number of wounds on the body, seems to have once belonged to the unfortunate man. Whereas the halfling seems to have been burned to death by Utreshimon's acid, this man appears to have been slowly ripped apart, as the only acid damage seems to be fresh, likely from the same cloud the dragon breathed at Megiddo and the hippogriffs.

(( Tarinth/Kajiki: No penalties. You're proficient because you are a rogue. It's conveniently sized for a creature of your stature. Just use your ranged attack modifier (+1 for the magic). So that would be +8 to hit.

BTW, Looking at your character sheet, the numbers for your claw and bite attacks are off. You seem to be forgetting your size modifier. Claws should be +7 to hit and bite at +2. ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-26, 03:46 PM
Orthus

The dwarf charges toward the elemental, as he wasn't going to leave Xaod behind.

Attack roll: 19+10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1578761/)=29.

Damage Roll: 5+16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1578762/)=21

Attack: 4(BAB)+1(STR)+2(Charging)+6(Brambles)+1(MWK)-4(PA)=+10
Damage: 5(dice)+8(PA)+6(Brambles)+2(STRx2.5)=21

Entertainer13
2008-04-27, 09:04 AM
Another full withdrawl... now that she won't have to go through trees!

Another_Poet
2008-04-27, 03:15 PM
Tell

Tell will try to identify the scroll. If he cannot, he'll ask Megiddo.

((Taking 20 yields a 22 on the check.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-27, 05:31 PM
Round 13

Orthus ducks under the elemental's swing just before delivering his own mighty blow, smashing a significant chunk of rock off the elemental, though the strength of the material resists the full force of the blow. (( Translation: Yeah, it's got DR ))

"Hextor's bleedin' ass! What the hell're ya doin'?!" Xaod shouts at the dwarf. "You're s'posed to be gettin' to your horse so we can get outta here!" As he says this, the paladin tries to cut into the elemental, but its rocky hide is too tough.

As Lor retreats, her opponent chases her, but its care in avoiding Xaod, costs it the opportunity to attack. (( Translation: It had to doulble move to reach its current position. )) The other troll fighter meanwhile climbs down from its tree and follows in its ally's footsteps. Meanwhile, the shaman seems to be content to remain where he is and continue healing his wounds.

The burning sensation in Orthus's veins caused by his brush with the troll poison ceases, but Orthus otherwise feels none the worse for the wear (( Fort Save/Poison Damage (1d20+11=23, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1579827/); Successful save, no damage )).

The elemental continues to swing at Orthus, but for all its power, the swings have no accuracy. The dwarf easily sidesteps each incoming blow.

(( Map #28 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/forestFight.php?num=28) ))

[hr]

(( Spellcraft is a trained-only skill. Second, only one attempt per day can be made to decipher a scroll, so taking 20 would take 20 days. Might as well just wait and prepare read magic.

If Megiddo helps you identify it, (whether through Spellcraft or the fact that he has already prepared read magic...), hit the spoiler.

The scroll contains cure light wounds (CL 1) ))

Entertainer13
2008-04-27, 07:30 PM
Another withdrawl.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-27, 10:42 PM
Megiddo will attempt to identify with spellcraft, and failing that, will cast read magic.

Spellcraft Check:[roll0] Success!

"It appears to be a scroll of cure light wounds"

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-27, 10:48 PM
Orthus

"Shut the hell up and run! I'm a hell of alot heavier than you two, and that pony isn't gonna keep up at a full gallop with my weight on it. Retreat and I'll hold them off abit then follow you."

Another_Poet
2008-04-29, 01:13 PM
Tell

Tell doesn't ask Megiddo to give the scroll back.

"Kajiki, do you think you can set up any kind of snares or alarums in case someone tries to catch us asleep?"

Tarinth
2008-04-30, 10:35 AM
Sure, just show me where you want us to set up for the night. You and Your friend have checked the rooms right. What one do you think is best?

Kajiki starts digging through his backpack and pulls out an odd assortment of mechanical odds and ends with some cleverly camoflagued bits of stone and mundanely broken items for trap concealment.

Another_Poet
2008-04-30, 12:45 PM
Tell

Tell shrugs. "Whichever, just not the one with the staircase. Do you need help?" He'll help Kajiki if requested, and otherwise sit by the fire and relax till it is time for bed.

((Tell is done for the day, so it's fine by me to tap forward anytime.))