PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Lycar
2008-11-24, 03:53 PM
Grigor

Grigor would applaud his allies for their victory but, alas, he is not quite capable of doing so right now.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-11-24, 04:04 PM
Seeing that the gnoll is down, Tell checks over Grigor's and Megiddo's wounds. "I haven't any more magic healing, but I know a thing or two about reating the wounded..." he mutters.

He proceeds to dress both of them, offer them water, and get them comfortable. ((Taking 10 on Heal check = 15, succeeds on Long Term Care for both patients, allowing them to regain twice their level in hp in 8 hours of rest.))

"Until Grigor wakes up we're not going anywhere. I suggest we barricade the door we came in through, check for alternate entrances and then rest here."

He will assist in the search efforts, also going through all the containers in the room, taking 20 as needed (since we'll be here for so long) = 22.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-24, 04:40 PM
Moatouse

(( Gonna let the acid finish off the gnoll, then? ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-24, 05:22 PM
((What? I thought it already had... Sorry, I must have misread.))

Another_Poet
2008-11-24, 05:24 PM
Okay then... swing first, heal later.

[roll0]
[roll1]

AoO if needed:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-24, 05:45 PM
(( He only dropped unconcious. It's a "heal him and take him prisoner or let him die" scenario. And that acid arrow is almost guaranteed to finish him off with its lingering damage if you don't do anything. ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-24, 06:05 PM
Megiddo isn't making a move to keep the gnoll from dying. I don't think Grigor is either.

Another_Poet
2008-11-25, 10:04 AM
((I'll let the gnoll die while I perform my heal checks. When I'm done healing the allies I'll go over to his body. If it's not dead I'll finish it off. I'm tired of prisoners :)

After that, proceed with 8 hrs rest + searching as stated above.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-26, 09:11 AM
Xaod's Cave

(( Are you asking me or Frosty about stealth advice?

You can always try stealth, but for specific issues regarding Temple layout and so forth, you're gonna have to ask the patrol leader. ))

[hr]
Moathouse: Planting 7, Morning

"You can't be serious about staying here," Spugnoir objects. "Look, they rest here themselves,", he points to the beds, "More of them could be here any moment."

Another_Poet
2008-11-26, 10:57 AM
Tell

"Could, sure. And I'll gladly hold them off at the choke-point of the door. If we go wandering about with our healer down, though.... we'll be the ones getting picked off."

Seeing that Spugnoir remains unconvinced Tell softens his tone. "Look, we've been doing this a long time. You don't survive in the army - or in druidic training - without good instincts. We need to hole up somewhere and this works."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-26, 12:30 PM
Moathouse: Planting 7

"How many do you think you could take? Your elf friend's not looking much better than the healer, and I'm not much better off than that either, especially since I'm out of spells. You're gonna be on your own, and there are at least three or four yellow robes, more gnolls, and from what I've overheard, probably a few other nasties. And the yellow robes certainly have magic on their side."

Another_Poet
2008-11-26, 01:20 PM
"So where do you suggest we go?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-26, 03:20 PM
"We could return to the surface. I expect these yellow robes were not in alliance with the dragon, so they must use another entrance to travel here. Which would make the entrance from the moathouse one with lower traffic."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-26, 04:25 PM

"They were trapped by the dragon, as I was. They just made the best of their situation by continuing with their excavation. Unless they opened the sealed passage, the moathouse entrance is the only one. Can't make any guarantees about where they'll be.

"Wait a minute. Didn't you say something about a healing potion earlier?"

Another_Poet
2008-11-26, 04:30 PM
Tell

"Look, I'm up for leaving if you feel safer. But I'm cleaning out this room first."

At Spugnoir's mention of a healing potion, he adds, "Yeah, if someone has a potion keep it on hand to feed Grigor if we get in trouble. Otherwise let's save it."

Now Tell is going to check every satchel, box, and container in the room, and check or any hidden stuff as well, as specified above. No one will convince him otherwise. Results, please?

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-26, 04:56 PM
Megiddo will detect magic on the gnoll. I'll take 10 on the spellcraft checks. He is specifically looking for anything with a weak abjuration aura, or a lingering abjuration aura.

((the gnoll had a shield effect, Megiddo is looking for where it came from))

Frosty
2008-11-26, 09:01 PM
Pyro whisper back, "I'm not bad at moving around silently, but I'm worried about *you* with that clunky armor of yours. You'll probably have to take it all off or else there's no point in trying to be sneaky."

Entertainer13
2008-11-28, 11:44 AM
"Might be worth the risk..."

((Can we do any "aid" with move silent/hide?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-01, 08:36 AM
Xaod's Cave

(( If you can keep in visual contact so you can at least sign to each other in some way, you probably could. Pyro talking Lor through Move Silently would be rather counterproductive. ))

[hr]

Seeing Tell start searching through the satchels, Spugnoir sighs and asks, "Okay, okay. Is there something specific you're looking for so I can help?"

Like the first bag, all the other loose satchels contain expedition gear—fresh clothes, a few bits of food, some small tools, and even a couple decks of cards and some dice.

Tell finds the iron box locked.

Megiddo finds a faint evocation aura on both the gnoll's longsword and shortsword. And there is a faint abjuration aura on the gnoll's studded leather armor and on his cloak pin.

Another_Poet
2008-12-01, 02:29 PM
Tell

"Okay, okay. Is there something specific you're looking for so I can help?"

"Yeah, how about a way to open this strongbox?" Tell taps the iron box with his fist and wishes their kobold friend hadn't gotten scared and run off last night.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-01, 03:06 PM
"Evocation? That is an unusual aura for a sword that displayed no elemental properties. As I suspected, he had a broach of shielding. It appears he had enhanced armor as well."[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Gray"]"Looks like somewhat standard gear for an adventurer, but a bit unusual for a gnoll. It is likely that there was some complexity to this fallen foe. It appears that it possessed a broach of shielding as well. Based on the auras, it looks like the weapons and armor are enhanced."

Megiddo will pick up the longsword and begin to examine it more closely, out of idle curiosity.

Another_Poet
2008-12-01, 03:53 PM
"Hmm, the brooch sounds useful. Do you want it, or the sword? It might be a sword of cleric-slaying.... we could find out on Grens."

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-01, 03:59 PM
"Aside from idle curiosity, I have no use for this sword. For one such as myself, a sword is useful only for making dramatic gestures. The one I have is sufficient for that purpose."

Another_Poet
2008-12-01, 05:16 PM
"I prefer my chain, but I could use it as a backup weapon. I'll hold onto it for now."

He reaches for the pair of swords, but then looks at Spugnoir. "Unless you're an able swordsman?"

Entertainer13
2008-12-01, 07:59 PM
((Stealth it is.))

"See if you can get him to give you some excellent directions."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-01, 09:33 PM

(( Regarding the box: ))

"Sorry. I'm a potioner, not a locksmith."

(( </McCoy> ))

(( Regarding the sword: ))

"Not in the least."

Frosty
2008-12-02, 03:22 AM
Pyro nods and whispers back, "Well, what do we do with them *after* I get directions?"" Turning to the hobgoblin leader with a smile, she asks casually, "So like, I think I may want to go check out your new home. Any chance you could like, tell me who to get there? I promise not to bother anyone."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-02, 09:25 AM
Xaod's Cave: Planting 8, Early Morning

"Uh, it's kinda hard to miss the big temple-fortress at the end of the road."

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 09:55 AM
Tell

Tell strips the gnoll's belt with its scabbards, cleans the two blades on its body and sheathes them. He then girds himself with the two new weapons and heads over to the strongbox. Out of curiosity he makes a single attempt to break the strongbox open ((if this is a treasure chest the DC is 23 so I need a nat 20 to succeed)):

[roll0]

Seeing that it's sealed tight, he hands it to Spugnoir to carry and picks up Grigor ((I assume he's encumbered now)). He heads over to the door they came in through and looks to Megiddo to open it for him, since his hands are full.

Entertainer13
2008-12-02, 10:39 AM
((whispers to Pyro)) "Emphasize infiltration needs. Guy thinks he's funny."

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-02, 03:28 PM
Megiddo will open the door for Tell, and follow him though.

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 03:30 PM
Okay so it's Tell+Grigor, Megiddo, Spugnoir+strongbox.

Unless we encounter resistance I think we're taking the new secret stairs up to the black room to rest.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-02, 03:33 PM
Yep, that's the plan.

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 03:35 PM
Also:

I assume Megiddo takes the broach and other magic stuff, even though he didn't mention to us that it was magical. I'd be pretty interested in the brooch but I suppose I have these swords already so.... :(

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-02, 05:37 PM
The list of items that detected as magical and the list of items that Megiddo mentioned were magical are the same list.

Megiddo will take the broach, since no one else claimed it. If no one else takes the armor, it gets left behind.

Another_Poet
2008-12-02, 05:57 PM
((Then Tell will take the armour, draping it on Grigor for now.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-03, 09:30 AM
Moathouse: Planting 7: Morning

As the group moves down the corridor to the hidden doors, they hear some panicked, chattery noises coming down the hall. Sounds like voice. Accompanying this is the sound of hurried movement.

(( Map #57 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=57) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-03, 09:56 AM
Tell

Pre-Round (I assume we have a round to get ready)

Tell knew they should've stayed locked in the room, but it was too late to get the thing barricaded now. He puts down Grigor as gently as he can and casts Flaming Sphere.

The fiery orb appears next to Tell and he sends it rolling up the hallway blind. It has to hit somebody up there.

((deals damage to the gnoll on the left and ends its turn in that gnoll's square. DC15 Reflex save avoids. Anything flammable catches fire.))

He then readies his chain and waits...

[roll=initiative=1d20+3

Round 1

Attack of opportunity if needed - remember 10' reach:
[roll1] (add 2 if vs Gren)
[roll2]
[roll3] applies vs. Gren only

Readying standard action to attack first creature to come into range:
[roll4] (add 2 if vs Gren)
[roll5]
[roll6] applies vs. Gren only

Using Move Action to roll sphere back toward me, hitting same gnoll as before:
[roll7] fire damage (DC15 Ref negates)

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-03, 03:59 PM
Assuming that we started adjacent, Megiddo will cast protection from evil on Tell, and then move 10' back.

Looks like we didn't. Megiddo will instead ready an action to cast magic missile at the first enemy to come into view.

Assuming that we started adjacent, Megiddo will cast protection from evil on Tell, and then move 10' back.

Another_Poet
2008-12-03, 04:45 PM
We did, actually. I just moved myself up. So if you want to put Protection from Evil on me, I will gratefully accept it. :)

Also, I see my init roll didn't work -

[roll0]

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-03, 11:05 PM
(OOC) Actually, I think they could still have line of charge if I move just 10 ft. I modified my movement so that they don't, and if they do, I will at least have cover, in addition to the offending gnoll having to get past Tell first. I noted my movement on the map accordingly(/OOC)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-04, 10:07 AM

After Pyro "emphasizes infiltration," the patrol leader responds "Can't tell ya anything like that. It would be a security breach."

[hr]

Spugnoir drops the iron box and grabs the wand on his belt as Tell and Megiddo cast their spells.

Surprise Round
(( Initiative:
Spugnoir (13)
Megiddo (6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1839671/))
Tell (5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5410751&postcount=1040))
))

There's a brief spark of blue light from Spugnoir's wand as the potioner utters an arcane syllable of command.

Megiddo steps back into the room the group came from.

Tell commands his the burning sphere to travel down the hallway. From the sounds of shock, followed closely by a scream of pain, it sounds like it hit something.

Round 1
(( Initiative:
Spugnoir (13)
Tell (5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5410751&postcount=1040)+)
Gren (5)
Gnolls (2)
))

Spugnoir sets down his lantern and readies his crossbow.

(( Megiddo, what'cha want to do? ))

(( Map #61 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=61); Sphere is under Gnoll #2 ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-04, 04:27 PM
Megiddo will look around the corner, and ready an action to cast magic missile at the first enemy to become visible.

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-05, 09:03 AM

Round 1 (cont.)
Megiddo and Tell prepare to defend themselves from oncoming attacks, and the flaming sphere begins to roll back towards Tell.

A familiar voice calls out "Quick! Go get the others!" followed by the sound of someone running down one of the branching hallways and shouted gnoll chatter.

Round 2
Spugnoir loads his crossbow and steps beside Tell. "Alright. Here they come."

(( Map #62 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=62) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-05, 09:45 AM
((Shhalhar: If possible, I'd like Tell to cast Longstrider during the empty round since they didn't come down after us. If it's too late that's fine, Tell will cast it at the beginning of this round.))

If Tell already has Longstrider up:

"We need to break through!" he hisses, and steps around the corner. Jogging up the halway, he allows his flaming sphere to precede him. It smashes into the Gnoll and Tell flays Gren with his chain.

fire damage - [roll0] DC 15 Ref avoids

[roll1]

Another_Poet
2008-12-05, 09:52 AM
((Eek, submitted that half-finished by mistake. I can't edit in rolls so here's a double post for you.))

damage [roll0]
bane damage [roll1]

If Tell doesn't have Longstrider up:

Casting Longstrider, he hisses, "We need to break through--cover me!" at Spugnoir, and steps around the corner. Jogging up the halway, he allows his flaming sphere to precede him. It smashes into the Gnoll and Tell prepare to attack.

Either way I end in the same square, which is 1 square east and 2 squares south of Gnoll #2. I can't move any icons on this map :(

Attack of opportunity if needed:
[roll2] add 2 if v. gren
[roll3] damage
[roll4] bane dmg v. gren only

Declaring my dodge against the gnoll, AC is at 20.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-05, 10:02 AM
Moathouse

(( You used your action to ready an attack when they didn't come down.

And as far as the other option: Standard action to cast longstrider, move action to move sphere, and move action to move down the hallway. That's one too many move actions.

As to the map, somehow a blank "Map 63" configuration got created. Don't know how that happened. I removed it, though, so the map should be working fine now. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-05, 10:09 AM
((Fair ruling on the Longstrider. Sorry about the extra move actions - I forgot the sphere takes one. In that case I'll cast Longstrider and move the sphere into the gnoll, but stay in my current position. AoO roll from the above post can be used if they come down.))

((Still declaring dodge against gnoll))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-05, 10:40 AM
Moathouse

(( Okay, but Tell would have to five-ft. into the main hallway to see where the gnoll's standing. Kinda hard to aim the sphere otherwise. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-05, 11:56 AM
((That seems like a pretty literal interpretation of movement and the grid. Can't I just peek around the corner?

If not, then can I take the 5' step and still roll ethe sphere + cast Longstrider?

If not, then I won't cast Longstrider. Instead I will use one move action to step out and step back (ending in the same square I started in) and the other to roll the sphere.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-05, 03:48 PM
Moathouse

(( Yeah, he can peek around one corner—the one Tell is at. But how does he peek around that and the corner 30 ft. down the hall at the same time?

5ft. step is not an action. So of course, you can cast, move, and step.

Eh, Megiddo's up first anyway. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-05, 05:19 PM
((Right, I forgot about the other corner - sure, cast-move-step.))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-06, 12:03 AM
Megiddo will move up to Tell, and holds out his hand. "If we are going to be making an advance, it might be prudent to use that potion you mentioned before to bring our friend to the realm of the conscious "

OOC:
move action - moving adjacent to Tell, into Grigor's space
standard action - ready action to feed Grigor a potion when it is handed to me

Frosty
2008-12-06, 12:44 AM

After Pyro "emphasizes infiltration," the patrol leader responds "Can't tell ya anything like that. It would be a security breach."

<hr>

Pyro Aeliat

Pyro sighs inside her head and keeps an outwardly friendly appearance. "Aww come on! I'm not a bad person! I promise that I would never hurt one of you if my friends and I aren't threatened first. but in any case, what would you like to do now? I mean, being stuck here has gotta be pretty boring for you right? What do you and your hobgoblin buddies usually do in your spare time?" she asks, hoping to maybe piece together a rotation schedule.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-07, 05:16 PM

"Your promises don' make ya one o' the band. Can't let no outsiders, no matter how friendly, sneak around without proper authorization," the patrol leader informs Pyro. "As to what we do: why d'ya wanna know?"

[hr]

Round 2 (cont.)
Megiddo moves up by Tell and makes his request.

(( Gonna stick with your previously declared actions or gonna dig out the potion and pass it to Megiddo? ))

(( Map #64 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=64) )))

Another_Poet
2008-12-08, 10:14 AM
((I thought Spugnoir was going to hand over the potion? He's a potioner.))

"Once he's up we run through. I'll go first and draw their attacks. The rest run in behind me. Spugnoir, you just keep your defences up and make sure Grigor comes last - he won't be in good shape."

((This is all whispered. If you don't get it, I'm saying we all move in the same round, but I go first, hoping they only get one AoO apiece! Use the run action and we can make our stand, if needed, on the other side of them, away from the reinforcements.

Megiddo and Lycar, if you guys agree, then we have our next round planned out - assuming Spugnoir makes with the potion already.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-08, 10:26 AM
Moathouse

(( When was he given any healing potions? He's an arcane potioner; he certainly isn't carrying any of his own making. Who's carrying the one that came off of Gren?

And remember: Run requires a straight line. Can't move faster than a double move if you need to make turns. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-08, 11:39 AM
Megiddo - you can see Tell's healing potion on his belt. As a free action Tell will nod down to it like "Here, take it!" while moving the sphere. CMW.

Double move will still get us on the other side of the baddies - almost to the secret door for Tell and one square back for the others. Let's do it.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-08, 01:11 PM
I guess Megiddo takes the potion from the belt. On his next turn, he'll feed the potion to Grigor.

Another_Poet
2008-12-08, 01:35 PM
((No way to do it all in one turn huh? Hmm in that case we're not running for it. We'd all need two moves - if you stay 30' behind you'll be surrounded by gnolls.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-09, 11:24 AM

(( Yeah, basically Megiddo needs to "disarm" the potion belt from Tell (standard action), and Tell is voluntarily failing the resist check. ))

Round 2 (cont.)

Tell casts his spell as Megiddo grabs the potion. Tell then steps out into the hall and commands the sphere into the gnoll he sees just around the corner. The guard is too slow to move and he falls in flames.

Gren darts out across the hallway before turning to face Tell. She shouts a few words in a guttral language before shouting "Flee!". Tell feels magic assault his mind as is compelled to obey (( Will Save: 8; Failed roll. Must flee from Gren next round. As per command (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsC.html#command). You can decide where to flee to, but you must take the quickes and most direct route.

Meggido recognizes the spell (automatic due to high Spellcraft), so he can block Tell from moving through his space as if he were an enemy as soon as Tell shows any signs that the spell was successful. He could also make an AoO grapple attempt to restrain him. ))

The gnoll that ran down the hall continues shouting.

Round 3
Spugnoir stares at Tell as if waiting for him to do something.

Megiddo quickly splashes the potion down Grigor's mouth and the cleric slowly returns to conciousness (( heals 8 hp; Grigor can roll initiative and act next round. ))

Suddenly, Tell darts…

(( Map #65 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=65) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-09, 11:41 AM
Tell

Tell turns and runs back to the room they were just in, leaving his allies to face the bastards alone and putting his Longstrider spell to good effect.

He gives no further thought to his Flaming Sphere, and so it remains blazing where he left it - on the stomach of the fallen Gnoll to the north. The poor beast's clothing and fur burn bruight while its flesh sizzles and pops.

((I checked, it's still in range and still in his square so... hehehehe))

[roll0] (Gnoll presumably auto-fails DC15 ref save)

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-09, 06:00 PM
Megiddo will help Grigor up to his feat, and then ready an action to cast magic missile if any enemies come around the corner.

OOC:
move action: set Grigor on his feet - should be equivalent to picking up an item or standing from prone, both of which are move actions
standard : ready action to cast magic missile and take a 5' step back if an enemy turns the corner

Lycar
2008-12-10, 02:40 AM
Grigor

Grigor regains consciousness with a start. As he staggers to his feet, he inwardly summons the healing bowers bestowed upon him and heals himself of some of the injuries sustained. He also reaches for his sword.

"Uhgh.. what happened? What's the situation?"

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-12-10, 11:11 AM
Lor twiddles her thumbs.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-10, 02:19 PM

Round 3 (cont.)

Tell slips past Megiddo and Spugnoir, despite the latter's attempts to restrain him.

Gren then runs down the intersecting hall towards the gnolls, shouting "Don't let them get away!

"Hurry!" Spugnoir tells Megiddo, "If she knows about the gate, she can make good on that"

Round 4
(( New Initiative:
Spugnoir (5++)
Tell (5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5410751&postcount=1040)+)
Gren (5)
Gnolls (2)
Grigor (1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1851859/))
))

Megiddo helps Grigor to his feet and prepares to defend the group.

Spugnoir scoops up the lantern and strongbox.

(( Tell's up ))

(( Map #67 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=67) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 02:38 PM
Tell

((I assume he can act normally again.))

"Grigor!" Tell calls as he recovers his mind and turns back to the party. "Come here!"

He moves 30' toward the cleric and draws a wand as he does so. If Grigor will move toward the druid, he hand the wand to the cleric (free action) and say, "Invisibility, use it."

((Grigor, you should be able to take a normal move and still reach me, then use it as a standard action. If you don't want to then let me know and I will revise.))

((Shhalahr, was I supposed to understand the gate comment? 'Cuz I don't remember anything about a gate.))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-10, 03:26 PM
"This is what I meant when I said I favor prudence over mercy. I'll see what I can do."

Megiddo steps forward and walks down the hallway until he sees Gren, and then he turns and gestures, speaking arcane words of power. Pointing at the witch, 3 streaks of silver fly from his fingertips towards her.

walking down the hallway and casting magic missile at Gren. [roll0]

Lycar
2008-12-10, 05:17 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor takes the wand from Tell and promptly uses it.

"Hah! Very good, that should give us an edge."

He waits for the magic to take full effect and then goes on to use the wand on Tell next.

"Hold still, you are next."

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-12-11, 09:51 AM
((I think that'll put us into the next round. If I'm getting ahead, Shhalahr, just stop me.))

Once he vanishes Tell pads over to the southern central door and opens it up. He then whispers, "Let's get off to either side. Once they go to check out the door we can backstab them."

Obviously if the door is locked, if it explodes, or if it only leads to a small closet I'll have to revise. Please let me know.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-11, 11:41 AM
Xaod's Cave

(( So is Pyro gonna tell the patrol leader that she wants to know their recreational activities to better infiltrate the Temple? Or is she gonna come up with better cover? ))

[hr]

Round 4 (cont.)
Having recovered his senses, Tell returns to the group, offering Grigor the invisibility wand.

Suddenly there is a loud crash, as of metal on stone from further ahead in the hallway.

Grigor meets Tell and takes the wand.

Round 5
Megiddo rounds the corner. He sees that what made the noise is a large portcullis blocking the route out of the hall. Unable to do much about it now, he turns to see Gren. His target is bathed in the light of the torch she carries. He casts a spell, and bolts of light fly from his fingers, striking the evil woman in the back. She howls in pain.

"Damn! She did it!" Spugnoir exclaims to no one in particular. "Hurry up, you two! If you can hold them off, I might be able to open it! He hurries in Megiddo's direction. "I'm gonna need to get halfway down that hall," he tells the elf, pointing down the hall Gren went.

(( Tell's got an open turn here. Grigor's not invisible yet, since he had to get the wand first last round, and he's not going to be able to turn Tell invisible for another round (Round 6), if he's still planning on going invisible first. Not sure what you wanna do yet. So, yes, we are getting ahead a bit. ))

(( Map #70 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=70) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-11, 12:16 PM
((I guess I am confused as to where the portcullis is. If it's down the hallway that Gren ran down, can't we just go back the way we came and leave?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-11, 12:57 PM
(( Sorry, forgot to specify. It's the red line before the stairs. If you didn't see it before, you might have been looking at it before I got a chance to add it to the map. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-11, 02:51 PM
((thanks))

Looking up the hall, Tell can't see anything, but from the sound and Spugnoir's words he has a pretty good idea of what's going on.

"They're coming for us!" he hisses. "Quickly, vanish!"

As Spugnoir makes for the other end of the hallway, he adds much more loudly: "Get back you madman, you'll be killed!"

He clearly still feels the ACME Invisible Ambush plan is the way to go.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-11, 02:59 PM
Megiddo gestures again, sending another stream of silver bolts at Gren.

casts magic missile, [roll0]

Frosty
2008-12-12, 03:27 AM
Pyro decides to tell a truth...or at least a partial one. "Because I'm bored. I'm always interested in learning about new cultures and ways to pass the time. I'd love it if you could show me some of the activities you guys do for fun outside of you know...raiding. If, as you say, there is no hidden evil in the temple, then we have plenty of time right?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-12, 08:51 AM

His suspicion allayed, the patrol leader goes on, "Well, things ain't all that interesting at an outpost. Even in desolate land such as this, we can't have our men just runnin' about, so we only got what we can do while on base. Card 'n' dice games, the occasional fight. Things o' that nature."

[hr]

Round 5 (cont.)
Tell waits for Grigor to start doling out the invisibility.

Gren glares at Megiddo, clearly hurt, before moving north. "Hurry up! We got 'em, but we can't let 'em do as they please! What the—! You lazy scum! You gotta be ready at all times! Get out there!"

Megiddo sees the shape of a couple gnolls approaching the hallway.

With a word of power, Grigor activates the wand, turning himself invisible.

Round 6
(( Unfortunately, Gren moved out of Megiddo's line of effect, and even a regular move can't quite reestablish it yet. So that's disrupting the second magic missile. But he does have line of effect to Gnolls #1 and #3 without moving.

Oh, and just so we don't forget, I'm gonna mention light sources. The way I see it, we have Grigor's helmet, Spugnoir and the lantern, Tell's flaming sphere (30ft. bright + 30 ft. shadowy), and Gren's torch all shedding light. Anything not close enough to get light from those should be in darkness. Am I missing anything. ))

(( Map #71 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=71) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-12, 10:11 AM
Quick Question: Do the Gnolls appear to have ranged weapons?

If so, Megiddo will cast the magic missile at the closest one, and move back around the corner.

If not, he will ready an action to cast burning hands as they advance, engulfing them both.

burning hands[roll0]

Another_Poet
2008-12-12, 10:27 AM
((The flaming sphere is gone now, so that's not a light source.

Grigor is invisible, so not sure how that affects his light source but I assume it disappears.))

Tell awaits the touch of the wand. Once he is turned invisible he will head to the south centre door as planned.

"Meg, fall back!" he yells. The last thing they need is for everyone except the mage to go invisible.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-12, 03:26 PM
Change in plans - Megiddo will move back towards Tell, and ready an action to cast burning hands if the gnolls close to within range.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-15, 10:10 AM

(( Okay, no sphere. Yeah, got that. But—"Light, however, never becomes invisible, although a source of light can become so (thus, the effect is that of a light with no visible source). (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsHtoL.html#invisibility)" ))

Round 6
Spugnoir follows Megiddo. "The winch for the gate is the other way."

From the sound of things, Gren is having trouble with a number of gnolls, still screaming, though the echoes make it difficult to hear what the problem is.

The gnolls from earlier do not yet appear near the group.

Grigor uses the wand on Tell, turning the druid invisible. The unseen druid then retreats further into the makeshift bedroom.

(( New Initiative
Spugnoir (5+)
Gren (5)
Gnolls (2)
Grigor (1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1851859/)+)
Tell (1)
Meggido is up.
))

(( Map #73 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=73)

Another_Poet
2008-12-15, 10:52 AM
"Patience, man!" Tell hisses at Spugnoir. The man is truly thick - or scared out of his mind. Either one could get them all killed.

The invisible druid moves south and opens the centre-south door (unless it is locked - if so, please let me know).

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-15, 03:25 PM
Megiddo will wait for the invisibility spell, and then move slowly forward into the room with the gnolls.

OOC:
DelayAction
Double Move back towards the room with Gren at half speed
Move Silently: [roll0] (DC 30 to pinpoint my square with Listen)

Lycar
2008-12-15, 06:27 PM
Grigor will try to follow Tell, using his standard action to give himself 9 hp back from Touch of Healing. That would get him back to 18 HP then.

Lycar

Frosty
2008-12-16, 02:15 AM

His suspicion allayed, the patrol leader goes on, "Well, things ain't all that interesting at an outpost. Even in desolate land such as this, we can't have our men just runnin' about, so we only got what we can do while on base. Card 'n' dice games, the occasional fight. Things o' that nature."

<hr>

The elf tabs her slightly pursed lips as she thinks. "So like, are the fights intentional? Like, do you guys basically fight amongst yourselves iny our off time in order to train ad get better?" Pyro could make use of this...

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-16, 09:05 AM

"You could call it training. But then gamblin's forbidden on real trainin'!" the patrol leader chuckles.

[hr]

Round 7
"Just letting you know where the objective is!" Spugnoir retorts.

Megiddo waits for Grigor to use the wand.

There still remains quite a bit of shouting going on down the hall.

(( So Grigor's gonna heal himself instead of making the wizards invisible? ))

(( Stickin' with Map #74 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=74) for now. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-16, 09:52 AM
((Shhalahr, what do I see through the south central door?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-17, 10:31 PM
Moathouse: Planting 8, Morning

Round 7 (cont.)

Grigor turns Megiddo invisible.

Tell opens the door, finding a cupboard behind it. The empty shelves are carved out of the stone wall and are slightly damp.

(( Map #75 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=75) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-18, 01:44 PM
Sighing, Tell figures he's not going to be able to make it look like they hid in a cupboard. Still, they had to come looking sooner or later. He closes the cupboard 3/4 of the way shut, then moves to take up position flanking the hallway.

Entertainer13
2008-12-19, 07:54 PM
Lor waits to see if something they can use is in his words. Nothing yet. She isn't a planner and is getting frustrated.

Lycar
2008-12-19, 08:40 PM
Grigor Human cleric

After turning his second ally invisible, Grigor takes a breather to mumble a quick prayer and ease the pain of his wound.

"Olidamarra, have mercy on your humble seravnt and grant me strength to keep up kicking these un-fung dog-faces behinds."

Then he moves a step up north.

"So we wait here for them to come and give them a nasty surprise? Works for me..."

Touch of Healing on self for +9 HP.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-19, 08:58 PM
Megiddo will continue moving in the direction of the winch.

Frosty
2008-12-19, 11:24 PM

"You could call it training. But then gamblin's forbidden on real trainin'!" the patrol leader chuckles.

<hr>

Pyro throws out a thought. "Mind if we come along and gamble with you guys or perhaps even take part in your so called training? Could be fun." It may provide a distraction for ONE of the grouto sneak in, or it may be an excuse t just kill off as many hobbies as possible.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-22, 12:02 PM

"Oh, I wouldn't mind you come along, but I think the Commander would. And I do mind her." He points at Lor.

[hr]
Planting 7, Morning

Round 8
"All right, so what's next?" Spugnoir asks.

Megiddo sees Gren moving into the room, holding a curved dagger. "And why in the Nine Hells are you two just standing around?!"

"Waitin' fer the others!" one of the gnolls snaps. "Shut up, somethin's comin'!"

Grigor takes a moment to heal himself.

Megiddo continues moving down the hall while Tell positions himself for impending combat.

"So, am I gonna get any of that?" the still-visible Spugnoir asks.

(( Oh, and I forgot to readjust the initiative for Megiddo's delay last round.
New Initiative
Spugnoir (5+)
Gren (5)
Gnolls (2)
Grigor (1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1851859/)++)
Megiddo (1+)
Tell (1) ))

(( Map #77 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=77) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-22, 01:04 PM
"So we wait here for them to come and give them a nasty surprise? Works for me..."

"Get back then!" hisses Tell. "We want them in the room and us by the hallway."

He ignores Spugnoir's seemingly panicked question, knowing the man will either be invisible or dead before any reassurance could assuage him.

Edit: Tell is delaying action for now. He doesn't want to attack until the gnolls are in position.

((OOC: Tell is kind of a jerk, but I'm not trying to hassle you, Lycar. I realise you probably need to bonk Spugnoir before you back up into position. Frankly if you'd rather heal yourself further and then move, and leave him hanging out there as bait, I ain't stopping you and Megiddo will never know. It would certainly tell us whether Spugnoir is truly on our side or not - if they don't kill him then he's deceiving us :P ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-22, 03:38 PM
Does Gren appear to have been healed?

Megiddo will move slowly forward, sword held in a defensive position, as he sneaks invisibly past the two gnolls.

OOC: Total Defense, and then move silently past the gnolls. 15ft actually only puts me just past them, still inside the threat range of the southern most gnoll.

For the record, I will not be taking an AoO while invisible.

Lycar
2008-12-22, 04:56 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"So, am I gonna get any of that?" the still-visible Spugnoir asks.

"Just a moment, I'm no use to anyone lying around bleeding, now am I... there you go. You may want to hide where they won't immediately spot you when this wears off."

Once Grigor's healing prayer takes effect, he will use the wand on the wizard to turn him invisible too.

"Get back then!" hisses Tell. "We want them in the room and us by the hallway."

"You mean around the corner, to whack that cleric witch when she comes in behind her dogmeat-shields? Sure thing..."

And so Grigor moves [3 squares outh, 1 west] around the corner of the corridor and assumes a ready stance.

Then he remembers to close the hatch on his helmet lantern. Doesn't do to be at the small end of a cone of light coming from no visible source after all.

And the cleric doesn't have darkvision, so...

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-23, 08:25 AM

(( Gren is looking much better than when you left her in the room. But it's hard to tell whether or not she managed to heal herself after she took those magic missiles. ))

As Megiddo moves closer, Gren advances on the neares gnoll, "Well go and get it, you fools!"

"Shut up! I can't hear!

"Don't get insubbordinate on me!"

Grigor moves back into the room after turning Spugnoir invisible. The light from Spugnoir's lantern follows Grigor into the room. Just after Grigor shuts his lamp, the lantern appears on the floor (( In Spugnoir's current square )).

Tell keeps ready for coming battle.

(( Map #78 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=78) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-23, 09:59 AM
Tell

Whispering to Spugnoir to make sure he doesn't bump into him, Tell walks briskly to the lantern and grabs it from the floor as he makes a beeline for the southeast passage. The others can see the lantern disappear and the light retreat away. He sets the lantern by the SE door and heads back north to get back into ambush position.

"I'm still here," he whispers. "Hold your positions, folks. Meg's on his own up there, and if he lives he'll need this ambush to save him. Let them go past before you attack."

I'm temporarily using the Dead Gnoll token to represent the square where I put the lantern - Shhalahr, I figure you can put it back where it came from when you make a new token for the lantern. Hope that's OK.

Tell actually stopped 1 square north of where the lantern is and set it down before heading back, for a grand total of 60' movement.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-23, 10:18 AM

Round 9 (cont.)
Tell Moves the lantern.

Round 10
More gnolls come out of the chamber that Gren had been in, axes at the ready.

"Finally!" Gren shouts, "We've got intruders! But the gates down and they ain't going anywhere. They're armed and have magic, so be warned. No go get 'em!"

(( And Spugnoir had delayed, changing the initiative order again…
Gren (5)
Gnolls (2)
Grigor (1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1851859/)+++)
Spugnoir (1++)
Megiddo (1+)
Tell (1) ))

(( Map #80 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=80) ))

(( The lantern's current location doesn't shed much light in the room. Spugnoir is just outside the full illumination area, for example. So you'd have to stick to that corner for opponents to have no concealment. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-23, 11:06 AM
((Sorry, I didn't realise it would give so little light. Can we say I put it one square north, then? Or one square east, if need be? Although hopefully that is the corner they'll go toward, to investigate the light.))

Tell takes up his position by the hall. "Spugnoir, if you're still over there, get to the west side."

Since Gren's distant complaining seems to have stopped he lowers his voice even more, and readies his weapon.

Lycar
2008-12-23, 01:48 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor uses what little time they have to prepare themselves to pray for some more healing. He neglected to bring himself up to full health before stumbling upon that gnoll before and paid dearly for it. Not again...

Lose CMW, gain HP.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-24, 08:52 AM

(( Yeah. You can change where you put it. But it still won't light up the enemies as they're coming through the door. It's only a 30ft. radius. light., and the doorways they'd becoming through is 35 ft. away. You'd want to put it next to or on the southeast bed to light the whole doorway. So what kind of coverage do you want? ))

Grigor heals himself. There's a sound of movement from Spugnoir's last known location.

Another_Poet
2008-12-24, 09:52 AM
((Okay, I think I moved it to a place that will cover the squares by the door, yet still make it look like we're down by the SE hallway.))

Tell holds his position and waits.

Attack of opportunity that will ONLY be used if a gnoll is clearly about to bump into him:

[roll0] -1 pwr attack or -3 vs Gren
[roll1] Shhalahr, please add 4 to this if vs Gren
[roll2] vs Gren only

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-24, 03:30 PM
Megiddo will move 15' east, still moving quietly, ready to fend off an attack.

OOC: total defense, moving at half speed to move quietly

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-26, 10:25 AM

Round 10 (cont.)
Megiddo moves unseen around the gnolls.

Tell manages to move back into position without incident and once again steels himself for attack.

Round 11
"Go! Go! Go!" The gnolls rush past Gren before the evil cultist joins them in their charge down the hall.

((Map #83 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=83) ))

Entertainer13
2008-12-26, 11:20 AM
((Wow. I'm captivated. Need to find roaming orcs, or something...))

Another_Poet
2008-12-26, 12:44 PM
Tell

Tell is still holding still and waiting - and silently praying that Megiddo will be there to back them up when the ambush happens.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-26, 03:57 PM
Now that the gnolls have rushed down the hallway, Megiddo looks for the winch Spugnoir was talking about. If it is readily visible, Megiddo will move towards it, and begin operating it if possible.

OOC: If it is within 30ft, move towards it, and begin a full round action with my standard action, assuming it is a full round action to use. In case it involves a strength check: [roll0]

Frosty
2008-12-27, 07:26 PM
((Wow. I'm captivated. Need to find roaming orcs, or something...))

((I'd appreciate some ideas from you as well. I'm running low on them. What do you suggest we do next? I don't think tricking them into becoming our friends will work.))

Entertainer13
2008-12-29, 09:04 AM
((That's my problem. I don't know! I've never been good with creative assaults. General tactics and diplomacy yes. How to approach this little problem? In all seriousness, it would be best to have a general group of infiltrations experts to observe/take notes. We can't do that, though.))

Another_Poet
2008-12-29, 10:30 AM
OOC to the Goblin Interrogation Team:

I think it might be time to tie the things up, then foray down and scout out the temple proper. Watching you guys spend week after week on these reluctant informants has been downright painful. And yeah, I know, you're not doing it for my entertainment... but I imagine it's even worse your own selves.

I think the only thing you can hope to get out of your "friend" is the location of the door you should approach if you intend to challenge their leader. Then tie him up (or kill him, if your paladin conscience will allow you) and head on out.

If you want to prevent a repeat of what just happened with Gren after we left her alive, you might try first tying up the goblins and then burying them up to their necks in the earth. They'll definitely be waiting when you come back, and probably quite willing to bargain for a drink of water at that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-29, 10:42 PM
Xaod's Cave

(( The patrol leader seems pretty convinced you aren't gonna convince any of his superiors to let you in with free access to the place.

Things to consider:
Xaod's making a general investigation of their activities. This does not necessarily require immediate access to the Temple itself.
You've just wiped out one of their patrols. Whether or not they've managed to discover the fates of the patrol members, the band is likely to be on alert. ))

[hr]

Round 11 (cont.)
Grigor prepares himself to attack.

Megiddo doesn't see a winch. Though the door across from the hall stands open. A chain runs from the inside of the door through an opening in a wall just behind the door. Unfortunately, the whole thing's hard to examine, as even Megiddo's elven senses find the room quickly growing dark as Gren carries the torch away.

Tell continues to bide his time.

Round 12
"C'mon! Hurry it up, you dogs!" Gren and the gnolls approach the bunk room.

(( There is now no light in the room in which Megiddo is in. ))

(( Map #84 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=84) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-29, 10:58 PM
Megiddo will cast light on his longsword. I'm pretty sure he has one left. He will then move closer to the chain, and try to figure out how it works.

OOC: if possible, just hit the blade or tip of the sword with the light spell, so it can be quickly extinguished by sheathing the sword.

Another_Poet
2008-12-30, 09:41 AM
Tell waits and waits, quieting his breathing as the enemy comes down the hall.

This may be where our characters meet their end, my friends...

Lycar
2008-12-30, 06:30 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor holds his breath to not give his position away. But he is waiting for the witch to show herself. Then he will strike.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-30, 08:13 PM
Moathouse

(( Invisibility doesn't really conceal light though it might conceal the physical source. I don't think placing a light source in an invisible sheathe will really work. Best shot is probably to cast it on something small and disposable that you can toss into a corner if you get in trouble.

See below. ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-30, 09:21 PM
In all fairness, saying that you can still see a light after it's put into an invisible sheathe is like saying you can see Megiddo's intestines because his skin is invisible. Invisibility is, for practical reasons, always a one-way trick; once something is hidden inside an invisible covering both items become invisible.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-30, 10:00 PM
(( Megiddo's intestines are also invisible, though. If it only turned his skin invisible, you certainly would see his internal organs. I suppose skin counts as a container for this purpose.

Of course, I just reread the full spell description: "Items dropped or put down by an invisible creature become visible; items picked up disappear if tucked into the clothing or pouches worn by the creature." This is something I've never noticed before.

So an invisible container can block a view of a visible item. Kind of wierd. But I guess the sword thing will work. As the light would be the visible "object."

As to the light itself, my reading is that the light emanates from a small point on the target object. So, yeah, you can touch the blade so only that sheds light. ))

Round 12 (cont.)

Megiddo casts a light spell on the blade of his sword. He can see in the light that the chain attached to the door runs through an opening in the wall so that what ever mechanism it is part of is shielded from tampering.

Round 13
The gnolls move into the room, spreading out to make a search of the place. "Where are they?" one growls.

"Perhaps they're being dealt with by Geynor and Ysslansh," Gren growls as she walks into the room. "Go find out about that."

As she steps into the room, Grigor lunges at her and cuts a large gash across her chest (( Attack: 1d20+8=27, 1d10+3=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1874370/); Crit Confirmation: 1d20+8=28, 1d10+3=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1874371/); Okay, so I forgot to add the bonus for attacking from invisibility on the roll. But even without that bonus, it's a crit. ))

"Aah! Get him!" Gren shouts, pointing at the now suddenly visible cleric.

((New Intitiative (factoring a Delay by Gren and a Ready by Grigor)
Gnolls (2++)
Grigor (2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1851859/)+)
Gren (2)
Spugnoir (1++)
Megiddo (1+)
Tell (1) ))

(( Map #85 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=85) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-31, 01:13 AM
(Can I get a more detailed description? I don't have a good mental picture. If it is something that can be examined more closely, I will spend a full round action to do so this turn).

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-31, 10:25 AM
Moathouse

Megiddo takes a closer look at the door.

There's an old, somewhat rusty chain secured to the back side of the door. Directly behind the doorway is a wooden wall, set just a few inches in. In the wall is a small opening, big enough to let the chain pass through. The opening's big enough that Megiddo can just make out a gear-pulley that the chain on the door is being threaded through. It all appears to be part of a larger mechanism.

(( Picture:
http://www.divshare.com/img/6215887-a6f.png
Images are not to scale. Nor are the angles necessarily accurate. ))

(( Map #86 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=86) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-31, 10:27 AM
Tell

Tell grits his teeth as he plans his attack. As Gren and the gnolls swarm into the room he will take his attack of opportunity against Gren (if possible) or against one of her minions (if Gren doesn't seem to be on the move or casting).

[roll0] (includes +2 bane & -2 pwr attack if vs. Gren)
[roll1] add +4 more against Gren (pwr atk)
[roll2] Gren only

Now visible, Tell declares his dodge against the nearest gnoll (+1 AC).

He lays into Gren with his chain
[roll3] (includes +2 bane & -2 pwr attack)
[roll4] (+4 pwr atk)
[roll5]

(Remember Gren has to make concentration checks if casting)

As a free action he yells, "Megiddo! Spugnoir! Kajiki! Chatrilon! Ash! GO!"

He hopes the gnolls will suspect a larger invisible force than actually exists and calls on the first group of names that pop into his head. He's sure to abbreviate Ashstaff in case Gren knows the man.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-31, 12:43 PM

Round 14
One of the gnolls (( #1 )) comes around the bed to aid Gren. Tell reflexively strikes the gnoll with his chain to prevent the gnoll from crashing into him. As this breaks the spell of invisibility, the druid has nothing left to lose by whipping his chain back around, striking Gren in the head and causing a spike to penetrate her skull.

Three of the gnolls swarm Grigor and Tell, but their axes just deflect off the adventurers' plate armor.

Of the two remaining gnolls, one takes a startled step away from the suddenly visible, shouting adventurers, and the other runs to a nearby door, opens it, and starts shouting himself. "Intruders!"

(( New Initiative
Tell (2+++)
Gnolls (2++)
Gren (2)
Spugnoir (1+)
Megiddo (1)

Grigor's Turn ))

(( Map #87 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=87) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-31, 01:05 PM
I'm confused, the initiative order says I go before Grigor. Did I go out of order before?

Also, I'm missign some gnolls. You mention 5 (three swarm Tell and Grigor, trhe remaining two...) but I only see 4. And none of them are near any doors. is one missing?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-31, 01:47 PM
(( I interpreted your last action as a readied action that carried over from the previous round (starting on initiative count 1), and triggered on the gnoll's turn the following round (on count 2), hence the "New Initiative". The gnolls then finished their action and it's Grigor's turn up next. The overall turn order didn't really change on continuous tracking. Just where it falls in the round number designations.

And, yeah, I see I accidentally have Gnoll #5 on top of #1. #5 should be at the door. I've updated the map.

Map #88 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=88) ))

Another_Poet
2008-12-31, 02:14 PM
Okay, I think I understand. Thanks.

Well it's Grigor's turn but I'll post my action just so I don't end up delaying us later. Consider it to come after Grigor.

Tell
Tell grins as the blades fail to penetrate his dragon scales. He continues to ply his chain...

Attack against whatever gnoll looks most hurt
[roll0] -1 pwr atk
[roll1] + 2 pwr atk

AoO if needed (remember my reach):
[roll2]
[roll3]

Declaring dodge against closest gnoll, +1 AC.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-31, 04:22 PM
Once Megiddo can act again, he will move back towards the group as quickly as he can. (OOC: checking map)

edit- looks like a run west, and then a move south will get me in LOS. So two turns from now.

Lycar
2009-01-01, 12:03 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Noting Gren's demise with grim satisfaction, Grigor takes a few steps westwards to get next to Tell again, slashing at gnoll #4 as he does so.

"I know a nice song about witches and bread, I'll save it for later..."

Move one square west to stack up with Tell again and make the corridor free for people to, say, cast spells down it. Or shoot bolts. Or whatever.

Attack at gnoll #4 [roll0], damage [roll1]
Potential crit confirm [roll2], damage [roll3]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-02, 11:47 AM

Round 14 (cont.)
Grigor hacks the gnoll down in one blow.

Round 15
The gnoll that nearly collided with Tell quickly meets the same fate as Gren.

The remaining gnoll that had attacked Grigor snarls something at the other two in the gnoll language before lunging at Tell, placing all his power into a swing with his axe, only to have the druid duck safely under the oncoming blade. (( That was #3, who is currently being rendered underneath #4 on the map. I'm gonna have to add a feature to fix this situation. ))

The other gnolls begin to advance slowly to join the melee.

Megiddo hears Spugnoir's voice as he runs down the hall. "Hey, Megiddo! I need some light so I can open the gate."

(( Map #89 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=89) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-02, 01:12 PM
Tell

Sweatbreaks out on the druid's face as he manages another lucky save. These gnolls just keep coming...

Attack against whatever gnoll looks most hurt
[roll0] -1 pwr atk
[roll1] + 2 pwr atk

[roll2] -1 pwr atk
[roll3] + 2 pwr atk

Declaring dodge against closest gnoll, +1 AC.

Lycar
2009-01-02, 02:05 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor, emboldened by his swift victory over the last gnoll, shifts his grip on his bastard sword to make a half-swording stabbing thrust at the nect hyena-man's vitals.

"These dog-faces aren't half as tough as their leader was... and they don't have enough sense to run when they should either."

Two-handed attack at gnoll #3 [roll0], damage [roll1], potential crit [roll2], dmg. [roll3]

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-02, 03:36 PM
Megiddo will drop the longsword, and then move down the hallway, calling forth silvery bolts of energy, which lash forward to strike two gnolls.

(OOC)

dropping longsword as a free action
moving 30 ft
casting magic missile, 2 bolts at the gnoll in 31,28(targetA), and 1 bolt at the gnoll in 33,27(targetB)

target A: [roll0]
target B: [roll1]

note: If either of those gnolls fall before Megiddo's turn, he will instead ready an action to cast magic missile on any gnoll reinforcements he sees arrive, all three bolts at the same target.

Another_Poet
2009-01-02, 04:01 PM
When the magic darts shoot into the room Tell will cackle with glee and continue his bluff. (Speaking as a free action):

"Haha, the wizard group is here! You boys better leave before you end up like your friends here!" He delivers a sharp kick to the gnoll corpse (#4 I believe) between him and his assailant (#3).

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-04, 10:05 PM

(( Dah! Wait, do you really mean "if either of those gnolls fall"? One target is down, but the other is up. But since you're willing to cast all three bolts at only one target… Or is this more of a "don't use magic until Meg is sure there are more targets than Tell may be able to handle? ))

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-04, 11:24 PM
Or is this more of a "don't use magic until Meg is sure there are more targets than Tell may be able to handle?

Yep.

stupid minimum character limit

Another_Poet
2009-01-05, 10:07 AM
Well then I only cackle and taunt if you fire the spell off.

But I kick the gnoll corpse no matter what... :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-05, 10:24 AM
(( Okay. So then we're going with the readied action. ))

Round 15 (cont.)
Megiddo approaches the room, on the lookout for overwhelming hostiles.

Round 16
Tell swings at the nearest gnoll (( #3 )), but his target successfully, if a bit clumsily dodges.

The other gnolls advance. Seeing them around the corner, Megiddo strikes the nearest one (( #6 )) in the head with bolts of magical energy. Despite the strength of several blows to such a sensitive area, the gnoll manages to keep his feet.

The injured gnoll points at Megiddo, and screams something in Gnoll. He carefully disengages, avoiding Grigor's blade. However, as he stumbles over Gren's body, Tell takes the opportunity to strike him, leaving the number of standing opponents at two (( Tell AoO: 1d20+7=18, 2d4+6=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1880109/); Provoked by movement since Withdraw only protects against the first square. Ain't reach weapons fun? ))

Before they realize what happened to their friend, though, the other gnolls attack Tell, taking advantage of his focus on the other target. One of them (( #5 )) quickly slaps Tell with the flat of his blade, knocking the druid off balance as the other (( #3, still located in the same space as #4 )) brings his axe down, nearly severing Tell's arm (( 12 damage )). When they notice that they are the only two remaining, though, a look of fear enters their eyes.

This sobers Grigors target enough that he is able to block the cleric's blow with his axe.

It seems that Megiddo hears a slight scraping coming from the hallway behind him. Whatever Spugnoir's up to, it better be good.

(( Map #91 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=91) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-05, 10:57 AM
Tell laughs viciously at the axe wound, using all of his willpower to channel the biting pain into howling laughter. He stares into the scared gnolls' eyes.

"Work for us, and you live. Join us, gnolls! We are the strongest!"

If they continue fighting:

[roll0] -1 pwr atk
[roll1] + 2 pwr atk

[roll2] -1 pwr atk
[roll3] + 2 pwr atk

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-05, 11:08 AM
Megiddo will move forward and look for an opening to cast a spell.

OOC: readied action to cast scorching ray at the first gnoll to disengage from melee, even if they seem to be attempting to surrender or flee.

[roll4d6

edit- an 8 isn't going to hit, so I guess the botched damage roll doesn't matter.

Another_Poet
2009-01-05, 11:53 AM
A touch AC of 8 isn't that unreasonable for gnolls. I'd roll it just in case.

Lycar
2009-01-06, 01:43 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Bah, don't bother. These runts are worthless."

Maybe he is trying to intimidate them, maybe he just got a bit overconfident. Either way, he quickly moves ahead around the gnoll he just engaged to flank him with Tell, heedless of the openning he presents.

Then he quickly slashes at him with his sword in one hand while using his buckler to defend against gnoll #5.

Shift grip to one-handed, AC 22. Take a step east and southeast, sucking up any AoOs coming his way. Then attack gnoll #5.

Attack [roll0],+2 for flanking. Damage [roll1]. Potential crit confirm [roll2], +2 for flanking. Damage [roll3].

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-06, 09:06 AM

(( Forgot to change the initiative after Meg's last readied actioin.
New Initiative
Tell (2++++)
Megiddo (2+++)
Gnolls (2++)
Gren (2)
Spugnoir (1) ))

Round 17
The gnolls glance warily at Tell after he makes his offer. Then they take just a cursory glance towards the southeast door before taking a step back.

Megiddo and Grigor continue to press the advantage. Megiddo's ray of fire veers wide. But Grigor is able to get on the other side of the nearest gnoll opposite Tell (the gnoll makes no attempt to sieze the opening left by Grigor) and cuts the gnoll down the back. The gnoll whips around and growls at Grigor.

Megiddo hears the a metallic noise come from behind him. It sounds like Spugnoir's managing the gate.

(( This time Megiddo's readied action takes place so as not to change his initiative at all. So the above still applies. ))

(( Map #93 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=93) ))

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-06, 04:24 PM
Megiddo will take a step back, and watch the battle. If any gnolls get past Tell and Grigor, he will cast burning hands to discourage their advance.

[roll0]

Frosty
2009-01-06, 10:52 PM
Still whispering to Lor, Pyro says, "Well, I thinkwe're stuck on scouting from the outside. The question is whether we can distract the other patrols enough for Xaod to scout about un-molested."

Another_Poet
2009-01-07, 11:04 AM
Tell

Seeing that they do not surrender, Tell shakes his head and raises his chain.

"You could've lived!"

atk - [roll0] +2 flank -3 pwr atk
dmg - [roll1] +6 pwr atk

atk - [roll2] +2 flank -3 pwr atk
dmg - [roll3] +6 pwr atk

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-07, 10:21 PM

Round 18
Distracted by Grigor, the gnoll never sees what hits him. He ceases to see anything at all shortly thereafter.

Megiddo keeps an eye on the battle, ready to block the hall from the remaining gnoll if necessary. But it is for naught, as the gnoll flees down the hall through the southeast doorway. It's hard to tell what, but the gnoll seems to be shout something after exiting the room. Perhaps its coming reinforcements?

(( Map #94 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=94)

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-07, 10:58 PM
Megiddo will go pick up his longsword, and then move over to Spugnoir.

errr, to where the metallic noises are coming from, where Spugnoir is presumed to be.

Lycar
2009-01-08, 05:36 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Ha! That takes care of the dog-faces. Too bad one got away. We better stay on our toes here."

Grigor walks over to the lantern to pick it up again.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-08, 09:13 AM

Round 18 (cont.)
As Grigor retrieves the lantern, he notices several moving figures coming on the other side of the door. This is the gnoll, and, thanks to a lantern being carried by one of the other figures, he can make out some ochre robes similar ot the ones Gren was wearing.

The metallic noises cease and everyone hears Spugnoir's voice. "The gate's open! Let's go!"

Round 19
The newcomers stride up to the fleeing gnoll. "What are you doing?! If there are intruderss, you should be taking care of them!" one hisses in a high-pitched voice.

(( New Initiative
??? (Green) (10)
??? (Black) (7)
Tell (2+++)
Megiddo (2++)
Gnolls (2+)
Grigor (2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1851859/))
Spugnoir (1) ))

(( Map #95 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=95) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-08, 09:38 AM
((Did you roll an attack of opportunity for Grigor when the gnoll ran away? Or did he Withdraw?))

Tell

Tell makes a gesture at Megiddo down the hall, holding up two fingers and pointing to the SE. Then he beckons the mage to come toward him. All this even before he hears voices--Gren had mentioned two other people down that way.

Not wanting the cleric to get spotted, he darts to the doorway and presses himself against the wall in a new ambush position, then whispers at Grigor:

"Vanish me!" He also gestures for the man to get out of the doorway where they might see him.

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-08, 04:35 PM
Megiddo will move to the corner of the hallway, and ready an action to cast scorching ray at the priest when he comes within range.

(last scorching ray, btw - that leaves me with buring hands and my elven weapon profs)

OOC: 21 to hit, 11 dmg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5610903&postcount=726)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-09, 11:21 AM

Round 19 (cont.)
Tell and Megiddo safely move to their ambush positions.

"They're too strong!" the gnoll's voice carries into the room, "Ev'ryone else dead!"

"Oh? And is the gate down?" comes another voice, with the question in a barely audible whisper only Grigor and Tell hear.

"Yeah!"

(( Map #98 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=98) ))

Entertainer13
2009-01-11, 12:39 PM
((Sorry, missed Frosty's question))

"I think we can do it. Let's decide on the best approach, and confer with Xaod."

Another_Poet
2009-01-11, 03:39 PM
Tell

Tell stays where he is, continuing to make wand-bopping gestures at Grigor interspersed with gesturing for the cleric to get out of sight of those on the other side of the door.

He readies his attacks in case they come through (if I get invisibled by Grigor, I will hold these attacks until the newcomers are past me or they are about to bump into me):

(and vs human targets ONLY, add +2 bane -2 pwr atk)
[roll=dmg]2d4+4) (vs humans, add 4 pwr atk damage please)
humans only

aoo if needed
[roll2] (and vs human targets ONLY, add +2 bane -2 pwr atk)
[roll=dmg]2d4+4) (vs humans, add 4 pwr atk damage please)
[roll3] humans only
(obviously the AoO has to have the same pwr atk penalties/bonuses as the main attack does, so adjust as needed)

Megiddo will take a double move to get behind Tell and duck around a corner, out of sight.

Another_Poet
2009-01-11, 03:40 PM
sorry, damage on my AoO fixed here:

[roll0]

Lycar
2009-01-11, 03:59 PM
Grigor Human cleric

With a curse under his breath, Grigor stop picking up the lantern and makes sure to step out of sight form the people down the corridor.

Seeing Tell's frantic gesturing, he reaches for the wand tucked in his belt and goes ahead to use it on him.

"We're burning a lot of charges here..."

"Also, if you are hurt, tell me now."

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-11, 10:48 PM
"I do have a slight case of near-mortal wounds, if you have a moment."

Megiddo will then move as Tell directed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-12, 09:26 AM

Round 19 (cont.)
Grigor leaves the lantern behind and uses the wand to turn Tell invisible.

Round 20
"In that casse, follow me," comes a hissing whisper.

Tell prepares to attack the newcomers as Megiddo takes up a better ambush position and requests healing from Grigor.

There's a sound of movement, but it seems to be going further away rather than coming nearer.

Map #101 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=101) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-12, 10:12 AM
Tell

Tell doesn't even answer Grigor's question about healing, instead letting him tend to Meggiddo - if he can find him by voice alone.

As soon as the druid is invisible again he dashes down the south corridor. He moves quietly in his soft-soled leather shoes and keeps a healthy distance from the clerics and gnoll.

[roll0]

((Double move. I assume they have a light source of their own, if not let me know and I'll stop closer to our own light source. I don't want to get lost.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-12, 11:59 AM

Round 20 (cont.)
Tell lucks out. One of the newcomers is a humanoid that apparently cannot see in the dark, as he is carrying a lantern of his own. The exact capabilities of the other are more mysterious, though, as a thick, scaly tail protrudes from under its robes.

(( Uh, isn't tell wearing his armor? You moved 10 squares. With breastplate, you'd be limited to 8. I adjusted Tell's position

And, don't forget, you take a penalty on Move Silently for moving at more than half speed. And not to crap a whole lot on, ya, but you also have an ACP, right? If you want to slow down some, to reduce the penalty, go ahead, I won't resolve the Move Silently till you say so. ))

(( Map #103 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=103) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-12, 12:15 PM
((My longstrider should still be going - it lasts hours rather than minutes, which is nice. So my speed is 30 feet with the armour.

You're right though, I forgot about the penalty for double move. I'll make a single move, with a -3 ACP, putting my roll at 17.

After I move I will start casting Summon Monster II (sacrificing my Soften Earth and Stone slot). This has a verbal component so add whatever penalty you want, but remember the enemy is now 40' away and talking.))

edit: map no longer updatable for me. Can you move me back to 20' south of the door?

Lycar
2009-01-12, 05:32 PM
Grigor Human cleric

(Meggido is still invisible, right?)

"Where are you? You are still invisible."

When Meggiddo reveals his position, Grigor will move up to him and feel around until he touches him.

"Olidammarra, you know I don't always follow your path as closely as I should. But hey, I'm working on it. But this is not this guy's fault, so please let him have a chance to enjoy live a bit longer and heal him abit, m'kay?"

Grigor uses up his Sound Burst spell for [roll0] pts. of healing.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-12, 10:45 PM
(I don't think the fact that I missed with my scorching ray negates the fact that I cast it, in terms of breaking my invisibility.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-13, 10:02 AM
Moathouse

((Lycar: Yep, Megiddo is visible (hence the lack of a "Invisible" label on the fig) cause he cast scorching ray at a gnoll earlier. Of course he's hiding in a dark spot. But not enough to give him total concealment.

Poet: Yeah, I forgot about the longstrider spell. As far as the move silently, the penalty is for moving at more than half speed, not for taking a double move. So moving a full thirty feet at half speed would be a double move in itself. But a double move that doesn't inflict a penalty. That would prevent taking another action.

Of course, a verbal component requires using a "strong voice (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicOverview.html#verbal)". I'm going to assume that's the same as "people talking" (Listen DC 0). So even with distance penalties, the verbal component is more likely to attract attention than Tell would by moving too fast. ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-13, 10:31 AM
Okay, I lookd up the rule:

You can move up to one-half your normal speed at no penalty.

This is not the same as reducing my speed. My speed does not become 15 (as it might in difficult terrain or something), rather it remains 30 but I can only use 15 of it without incurring penalty. So I can move the full 30 feet as a single move. BUT....

When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your full speed, you take a -5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to move silently while running or charging.

So it comes with Move Silently penalties, but not speed penalties.

In any case you're right about the "strong voice" thing so I guess I'll move 30 feet and cast my spell as planned, albeit giving away my position.

Remember, pinpointing an invisible enemy by sound raises the Listen DC by +20, so even though the DC to hear me talk is 0 they still have to make a check to pinpoint me. The DC also goes up by 1 for every 10 feet of distance, so the DC would be, what, 23? And even if they make the Listen check to know my square they suffer 50% miss chance on all attacks due to concealment. I'll takes my chances. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-13, 11:21 AM

Round 20 (cont.)
Tell begins to cast his spell. The clerics and gnoll pause for a moment, and look behind themselves.

"Damn! Move!"

The gnoll panics and runs away down a side corridor.

They quickly duck down a side corridor.

Grigor finds Megiddo and magically heals the elf of some of his wounds. About the same time, the two hear Spugnoirs voice calling from the north corridor, though they can't quite make out exactly what he's saying, though he doesn't sound panicked or rushed.

Round 21
The clerics follow the gnoll down the side corridor. From the corridor comes noise that sounds to Tell as if they are countering with magic of their own. And, indeed, strange white mist begins to pour out of the corridor shortly thereafter.

Tell finishes casting his spell, causing a new creature to appear. (( What are you summoning? I don't know what size of token to put down yet. ))

(( Map # 104 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=104) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-13, 12:13 PM
What I summon depends on how you run Summon Nature's Ally. In our IRL group, we have always ruled that the caster chooses the creature and its starting square upon spell completion. In that caser, seeing the obscuring mist, I will choose a small air elemental.

If I had to choose at the beginning, I would've chosen a small fire elemental.

In either case, the creature appear two suares north of me and one square east, by the torch. (I realise the torch isn't really there, but as a landmark, that's where I mean.)

Let me know which way you rule the spell and I'll state its actions.

Tell

Tell advances 55', still invisible but making no further effort at staying quiet, and joins his new cohort.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-13, 01:12 PM
(( "You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect." (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicOverview.html#casting-time) And the spell comes into effect when the casting is completed.

Of course, as to the movement, you just started the full round action to cast the spell last round, you still need to take another standard action to complete it. Kind of limits your movement. I'll adjust that on the map. ))

Round 21 (cont.)
The thick fog glows eerily with the lantern light, providing just enough illumination for Tell as he joins his summoned companion.

(( Map #105 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=105) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-13, 03:56 PM
Elemental

((Please note this air elemental has 13 hp rather than the usual 9, because of Augment Summoning.))

The elemental's shape fades into a growing tumult of winds as it works itself into a cyclone. The twister zooms down the hall and around the corner at tremendous speed, dispersing the cloud of mist as it goes. It does not bother with the mist on the staircase to the south.

((This does not provoke AoOs.))

The twister flies through the entire fog cloud and then doubles back (using 55' feet of its 100' movement to complete the whole trip). As it goes it pulls in dust and grime, accumulating a mighty dervish of debris. As the twister falls back upon the clerics, they are lost in the cloud of filth. Though it may not be enough to harm them, it stings their eyes and obscures their vision.

((The elemental's debris cloud has a diameter of up to 10', enough to cover both clerics. It provides no concealment from adjacent creatures, but it does provide concealment 5' away and total concealment beyond 5', so they don't have line of sight back toward me. The clerics also need to pass a DC (15 + spell level) Concentration check to cast any spell in the debris cloud.

The twister mode ends on the elemental's next turn.))

I believe Tell has used up all his actions to get as far as he did this round, so that's it for now.

Lycar
2009-01-14, 01:40 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor examines Meggiddo as his prayer shows some effect.

"You still don't look so good. Wait..."

He goes and, after stowing the Wand of Invisibility, produces a Wand of CLW from his pouch and goes ahead to bob the elf with it.

As soon as he gets to do it, [roll0] extra HP.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-14, 09:22 AM

Round 21 (cont.)
The elemental's cyclone clears up most of the mist and leaves the elemental close to the clerics.

(( Going to assume Megiddo will delay long enough for the extra healing. ))

Seeing that his previous spell didin't quite stop all the bleeding, Grigor uses a wand to ply Megiddo with more healing.

(( Map #106 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=106) ))

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-15, 01:31 AM
Megiddo will wait until Grigor moves down the hallway, and then move to follow.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-15, 09:38 AM

Round 21 (cont.)
(( Forgot to move the gnoll… )) The gnoll continues to flee, quickly running around a corner.

Megiddo bides his time.

Spugnoir continues calling out.

Round 22
The clerics carefully circle around the cyclone before stopping to cast more spells. The scaled cleric briefly glows with a purple aura upon completion of his spell. The other one just watches, as if waiting for something, with his hands ready to perform the mystical gestures.

He doesn't have to wait long, as the elemental is unable to keep up the cyclone. As it is coming out, the other cleric casts his spell, and a large, glowing, floating, purple dagger appears between him and the elemental. The dagger jabs at the elemental, but the air creature is too quick to be taken off guard even by this magical construct.

(( New Initiative (Includes adjustment for Megiddo's delayed action already))
Scaled Cleric (Green) (10)
Other Cleric (Black) (2++++)
Tell (2+++)
Gnolls (2++)
Megiddo (2)
Spugnoir (1) ))

(( Map #107 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=107) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-15, 11:15 AM
Tell

Tell takes a double move to get close to the fray, hoping the sound of battle will cover his jogging footsteps.

The elemental side-steps the magic blade and shoves the nearest cleric against the wall.

[roll0]
[roll1]

((If it gets hit by the purple blade, please remember its DR 5/-))

Lycar
2009-01-15, 02:31 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor looks at Meggiddo and frowns.

"You still do look pretty roughed up. Best if you go and see what the mage guy is hollering about. Doesn't seem like he's in trouble. But I better take a look where Tell went, there were some people down that corridor and they didn't look friendly."

Mindful of his own mortality, Grigor uses the Wand of CLW on himself before he begins to walk down the corridor, following Tell.

Wand of CLW: [roll0]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-16, 08:53 AM

Round 22 (cont.)
The elemental pummels the cleric. But just before the its tendril strikes the cleric, it strikes a strange barrier instead, with only a flash of purple light indicating the magic at work. At this, the cleric an insane giggle.

Tell and Grigor move both move unhindered.

(( Map #109 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=109) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-16, 10:20 AM
Tell squints and tries to think of what spell this could be.
[roll0]

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-17, 02:31 PM
(I could have sworn I had posted this once already, but I guess not)

Megiddo will move up to see what Spugnoir isn hollering about, hopefully an open gate.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-19, 09:25 AM

Round 22 (cont.)
(( Spellcraft is trained only. ))

Megiddo moves down the corridor to see the iron box Spugnoir was carrying and and his glowing sword floating in the air. From somewhere above these objects, come the potion-maker's voice.

"Good! Where are the others? The gate's open. We can get out before things really get bad."

Round 23
Several new shapes arrive behind the scaled cleric. Dressed in rags, they have gaunt white flesh covered in open sores. They look similar to the creatures encountered near the torture chamber.

A strange stench begins to emanate through the air. The stench is bad enough to make tell feel nauseous and sick to his stomach (( Fort Save: 1d20+9=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1903753/); Tell is sickened (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/abilitiesAndConditions.html#sickened) )). Though his scrunched nose indicates the cleric with the lantern smells it, he does shows no indication of the level of discomfort Tell is experiencing. The scaled cleric doesn't even appear to notice the smell.

The scaled cleric steps forward. Grabbing a pendant from around his neck he hisses, "Foul creature of Air! Begone! Face the stability of stone!" At this, the air elemental is surrounded in a purple glow. The cloud that makes up the elementals body begins to disappear, slowly dissolving until there is nothing left.

Another creature, looking not unlike the other newcomers, save for its black cloak, comes from around the bend in the corridor.

The cleric with the lantern steps back and scans the hallway, looking for anything that may be out of place. "Show yourself!" he shouts.

(([ b]New Initiative[/b]
Ghouls (20)
Scaled Cleric (Green) (10)
Cloaked Ghoul (7)
Other Cleric (Black) (2++++)
Tell (2+++)
Gnolls (2++)
Megiddo (2)
Spugnoir (1) ))

(( Map #110 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=110) ))

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-19, 11:20 PM
"Tell, Grigor, we need to get the hell out of here!"

With that, Megiddo will move in through the now open gate.

(pretty sure Tell can't actually hear me, even shouting, but I have no idea where he is, what with the vanished)

Frosty
2009-01-20, 01:54 AM
"I think we can do it. Let's decide on the best approach, and confer with Xaod."[/COLOR]

"Well we also need to decide how to plan all of this while we have our prisoners. Even if one of them is friendly...for now, if we let them go and they go back, they might all be on alert! I'm not sure I want to just murder helpless prisoners, but..."

Another_Poet
2009-01-20, 11:08 AM
Just curious, how can Megiddo see the iron box and sword? They should be invisible with Spugnoir. Ooh, wait! Levitation! It's levitation, right? Am I right?

Tell

Tell doesn't need any further convincing. As new foes fill the corridor, he relaxes his grip on his chain. He wants to answer the cleric's call with a metal spike to the face, but he can feel his arms shaking as his stomach convulses. This is not a winning battle.

He turns and runs as fast as his legs will carry him.

((Using the Run action to move x3 speed (90 feet with Longstrider) back toward the group.))

Grigor and company hear a disembodied voice echoing up the hall toward them. It is deep and loud as only terror can be.

"RrrrrrrruuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!"

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-20, 08:33 PM

(( Items picked up by an invisible creature disappear if tucked into clothing or pouches, but apparently not if just held. Neither of these items have been tucked away. (Evidently, Spugnoir had to put the box down at some point.) Short of trying to wrap them up in his cloak, Spugnoir has no way to conceal these objects under his clothes. ))

Round 23 (cont.)
(( Running only works in a straight line. Can only double move right now. ))

If Tell weren't running in the opposite direction, he'd notice the clerics glancing at each other in confusion over the druid's shouting.

(( Map #112 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=112) ))

Lycar
2009-01-21, 02:32 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor hears Tell yell. Apparently he is coming up the corridor in front of him. So he saw what is down there. And obviously doesn't like it.

"Oh... maybe it is time to withdraw then..."

He quickly makes a step foreward to grab the lantern off the ground, then turns around and hurries up the northern corridor as fast as his armour allows him to.

"Okay people, let's get out of here!"

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-21, 08:49 AM

Round 23 (cont.)
Grigor and Megiddo move unhindered.

(( Grigor ends his space in the same square as Gnoll #3's body. The token for the latter is just being drawn on top of him. ))

Spugnoir follows Megiddo.

(( Tell better catch up to Grigor, or he'll be left in the dark! ))

Round 24
The ghouls and clerics quickly follow the sound of Tell's retreat, though they are clearly unsure exactly where the druid is.

(( Map #113 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=113) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-21, 12:33 PM
Tell continues running, (double move again, 60') but closes his mouth. He hears his pursuers behind him and can see the light fading ahead. Silently cursing his companions for finally taking his advice on something, he finds himself tripping over corpses as he enters the room where he thought the others would be. In a state of shock, he realises the room is almost pitch black.

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-21, 08:19 PM
Megiddo will continue to make with the great egress.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-22, 08:27 AM

Round 23 (cont.)
(( Almost dark? You're right next to Grigor (under Gnoll #3, remember), who has the lantern. ))

Grigor hears Tell rushing by him.

(( Map #114 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=114) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-22, 12:01 PM
Right, sorry.

Lycar
2009-01-22, 02:09 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor keeps moving north up the corridor towards the gate, hoping to find it open. He curses under his breath as his heavy armour slows him down, but then he apologizes again, remembering how faithfully it has served him so far.

"Can't get something for nuthin', even if you're thief..." he mutters.

Run north towards the gate.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-22, 08:02 PM

(( Y'know what? Considering that Grigor is technically moving simultaneously with Tell, I guess it is pretty dark. Since now he's moved and the walls are definitely blocking the light. ))

Round 23 (cont.)
Grigor hurries down the corridor.

Megiddo reaches the sliding panel and opens it. Spugnoir moves up through the door, pausing at the staircase. "We can go up this way."

Round 24
In the fading light, Tell can hear the ghouls closing in on him. But more vivid is the stench of death they carry. It's a sure bet the clerics are close behind, too. Good thing he's still invisible.

(( Map #115 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=115) ))

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-22, 08:24 PM
Megiddo will keep moving.

Another_Poet
2009-01-24, 01:15 AM
Tell continues to run.

((This should end him in the 4th square from the very top of the map, but I can't move him.))

Here is the error message I get when I try to save the map:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because an invalid method (HTTP verb) was used to attempt access.

Please try the following:

* Contact the Web site administrator if you believe that this request should be allowed.
* Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.

HTTP Error 405 - The HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 405.
* Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Setting Application Mappings, Securing Your Site with Web Site Permissions, and About Custom Error Messages.

Lycar
2009-01-25, 08:59 AM
Grigor

Grigor too keeps hustling for the exit.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-25, 10:56 PM

Round 24 (cont.)
Grigor rounds the corner in time to see Megiddo duck up the staircase just behind the sliding panel. Spugnoir's voice emanates from a nearby floating box and illuminated sword, "C'mon! Hurry!" before the objects follow Megiddo up.

Rounds 25-30
At the top of the staircase, Megiddo finds another handle to move a panel away, revealing the chamber he and Tell spent the night in. He hears the rest of the group coming up behind him, and continues moving.

Everyone else is close behind. Though, at this point it is every man for himself, and Grigor finds himself being left behind. The cleric begins to hope for a clean escape as he steps into the bright light of the moathouse courtyard. However, he hears a strange hissing noise full of anger behind him before he's quite halfway to the exit. Glancing back, he sees a humanoid figure with bone-white gaunt flesh covered in boils in scabs standing in the doorway at the top of the stairs.

(( Moathouse Surface Map #40 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=40) ))

Lycar
2009-01-26, 01:41 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Oh you've got to be kiddin' me..."

Grigor reaches for the Wand of Invisibility and draws it to make himself invisible before the ghoul.. (no wait, ghast?) reaches him.

Know. Religion: [roll0]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-26, 11:16 AM

The only way to really tell a ghoul from a ghast is the smell, and, all things considered, the air in the courtyard almost smells sweet. Doesn't seem like a ghast.

The ghoul howls in anger as Grigor disappears. It squints in the light for a moment, as if considering trying to find him. But he gives up, and returning to the interior of the moathouse, shouting "They're gone! At least there's gnoll-flesh inside!"

(( Map #41 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php?num=41) ))

Another_Poet
2009-01-26, 12:28 PM
Tell (still invisible) turns back to see if he needs to help the cleric. But he sees the man disappear and the undead give up, and runs across the bridge at hope-there-are-no-hungry-frogs speed.

When he reaches Spugnoir's Hovering Chest he will murmur, "I suggest we move off into the wilderness a bit and rest, then see if they're going to come looking. Spugnoir, you need to get back to town or are you staying with us?"

Aww, no more fancy maps? I thought that guy's site had them all. Although admittedly I didn't look very far since I didn't want to spoil it for myself.

Lycar
2009-01-27, 01:29 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor took a moment to extinguish the lantern before resuming his tactical withdrawal. Fortunately he managed to spot a chest floating ahead and just followed that.

Eventually catching up with the others, he whispers urgently.
"Hey you people, are you there? Sure hope so... listen, let's get some good distance between us and this place. Does any of you about reading tracks? maybe we should try to cover ours."

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-27, 02:50 AM
"Agreed"

Megiddo will continue moving away from the moathouse.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-27, 09:07 AM
Outside the Moathouse: Planting 7, Morning

(( I already had the old map ready. And there are plenty of new places in this adventure (those maps were from the original Temple, rather than Return, so it's not gonna be all from there anyway. ))

Spugnoir answers Tell, "I'm going to see if what's in here," the floating box wiggles a little, "answers any questions about who those people were, and then I have to get back home to my daughter."

"I don't know a thing about tracks.

Another_Poet
2009-01-27, 10:30 AM
Tell

"Tracks?" Tell teases. "You people leave tracks?" He chuckles invisibly. "Meg, do you remember where we met that trapper on the way here? I'l take care of your tracks and meet you there. I'll be about two hours behind you. Don't let these guys take my share of whatever's in the box."

"Hmm, by the way, I'd like to borrow that invisibility wand while I'm doing this."

Assuming that the plan works for the others, Tell will accept a fresh bonk from the wand and then slip it into his belt, hoping he can successfully use it later if needed.

Once the others leave he will walk in a different direction, intentionally leaving tracks (Trackless Step allows me to do this when I wish). Then, leaving no further tracks, (Trackless Step, turn on!) he will backtrack and do his best to erase the actual tracks of the group.

[roll0]

[roll1]

If it matters, my plan is to do the first round of fake-track-leaving and real-track-erasing very quickly, laying only a few hundred feet of fake tracks and erasing a quarter mile or so of real tracks. Thus, I get the first part done while still invisible. Then I double back and extend the fake tracks by a couple of miles, meandering through rugged terrain and nowhere near where we're going. Last I go all Trackless Step again and meet up with the team.

Entertainer13
2009-01-27, 03:47 PM
"We'll discuss this with Xaod. I personally think leaving them tied up and for now and doing some reconnisance... At the end of this, Xaod is in charge."

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-28, 09:40 AM
Along the Moathouse Road: Planting 7, Late Morning

Megiddo keeps an eye out for where he and Tell met Del. Fortunately, the place they met the trapper appears to be where he normally leaves and joins the road, since he is able to find a small footpath near some familiar trees.

"Alright. Let's see what's in this thing." Breathing heavily, Spugnoir sets the box down.

Frosty
2009-01-30, 02:24 AM
"We'll discuss this with Xaod. I personally think leaving them tied up and for now and doing some reconnisance... At the end of this, Xaod is in charge."

Sighing, she goes "Fine. Now to convince the hog-gobby leader to let me tie him upagain..." she mutters before she walks back to the leader. "Alright, if you need to relieve yourself or anything, please do it now. I'm afraid I need you to be tied upagain. See, my friend here is nervous and afraid of two such obviously strong, menacing example of masculinity such as yourselves. We'll be back though don't worry." She hopes the leader will let himself by tied up again with no problems.

ooc - Diplomacy roll [roll0]

Another_Poet
2009-01-30, 09:29 AM
Shhalahr, maybe I'm missing something but.... if Spugnoir is opening the box, are you gonna tell us what's in it?

Also, I don't think I have anything else to do until either the ghouls catch up with me or I catch up with the rest of the team. So let me know when I can "reappear."

Lycar
2009-01-31, 03:36 PM
Grigor

Grigor catches up with the others eventually, if a bit out of breath maybe.

Also, the wand-powered invisibility runs it's course after a couple of minutes.

"*huff, puff* Undead! Scourge of the living! Oh, how much I hate them! Just as well that we will go back to finish what we started, but tomorrow I shall pray for Olidamarra's grace to help us purge this blight from the face of our world!"

While he catches his breath, Grigor peers at the chest Spugnoir brought.

"Hrmph, I just hope whatever is in there was worth the trouble."

He pulls out the Wand of Invisibility and holds it out.

"Here, want it back? We sure took a couple of charges from it today."

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-02-01, 03:18 PM
"Hmm, by the way, I'd like to borrow that invisibility wand while I'm doing this."

Assuming that the plan works for the others, Tell will accept a fresh bonk from the wand and then slip it into his belt, hoping he can successfully use it later if needed.

Unless you're saying Grigor stopped Tell from taking the wand, Grigor no longer has it. And it wasn't Spugnoir's to start with, it was Tell's (although once Tell catches up he'll just give it back to Grigor who can use it more reliable).

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-01, 08:21 PM
Megiddo will cast a detect magic from his wand to examine the contents of the box.

"It would be prudent to keep a careful watch tonight. We do not know who or what we are up against, nor what they are capable of."

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-04, 03:37 PM

(( Poet: Spugnoir's with Grigor and Megiddo. He's certainly not opening the box without them getting a look.

As to the wand, I had assumed Tell took it. But he can't use it anyway. Use Magic Device is a trained only skill, and invisibility isn't on the Druid spell list. That's why you gave it to Grigor.

(Illusion is one of Megiddo's prohibited schools, right? You haven't restored that info yet, Skja, and I wanted to double check why Meg wasn't using the wand.)

Anyway, I'll put off any reactions to the wand until we figure out who has it. ))

Megiddo detects five auras. One is located around the box's lid. The other three come from within the box. The aura on the box is faint abjuration. Inside the box are two faint transmutation auras, a faint conjuration aura, and a faint enchantment aura.

"Anything interesting?" Spugnoir inquires with obvious interest.

Another_Poet
2009-02-04, 03:52 PM
((Okay, it makes no sense for Tell to keep it then. Let's assume Grigor has it.

Lycar, I am deleting the wand from my sheet. Make sure to add it to yours.

Wand/Invisibility (unknown charges)
1 charge used before Grigor showed up
4 charges (1 each character) in gnoll combat
2 charges (re-bonk Tell & Grigor) after gnoll combat
1 charge to refresh Tell just before we parted ways

So the wand has (x - 8) charges where x is the mystery number Shhalahr won't tell us.))

Entertainer13
2009-02-05, 11:04 AM
Lor looks at the leader, seeing if he'll reply or not, so Frosty and her can check with Xaod. Yep.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-06, 10:47 AM

The patrol leader looks at Pyro in silence for a moment and glances at Lor before saying, "Y'don' need to sugar-coat it. I know I'm a prisoner an' still got ta be treated like one now an' then." With that, he holds out his hands for re-binding.

Lycar
2009-02-07, 10:16 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor looks at Megiddo "So what do you make of this then?"

Lycar

Frosty
2009-02-07, 03:50 PM
Pyro rebinds the hobgoblin leader nice and tight, but making sure not give him any extra pain than necessary. "Let's go find our friend." she says to Lor as they head out towards the area where Xaod said he would be.

Entertainer13
2009-02-08, 12:51 AM
((I'm tempted to say Lor skips along behind, but I won't. I ROLE PLAY, gosh darn gosh golly)).

"Okay."

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-08, 02:14 PM
"There are some magical auras coming from inside the box, and there is a magical aura on the box that indicates it may be magically locked or trapped."

Another_Poet
2009-02-08, 02:35 PM
((The thought occurs that the surest way to disarm the trap would be to wait for Tell to show up, tell him you detect no traps but wanted to wait for him to see what's inside, and let him set the darn thing off in his eagerness.

In other words, I'm willing to take a trap to the face if it'll get me a fast forward so I can play again :smallbiggrin: ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-09, 10:19 AM
Outside the Temple of Elemental Evil: Planting 8, Late Morning

Lor and Pyro carefully work their way around the Temple again, managing to reach the place they left Xaod without incident. The problem is, when they reach it, Xaod doesn't appear to be nearby.

[hr]
"I expected that," comments Spugnoir. "Are you able to circumvent this ward right now?"

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-09, 06:17 PM
"No, I do not."

Lycar
2009-02-10, 05:51 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"Neither do I. But hey, these traps are usually one-shot only, right? With some divine favour, I should live. Does any of you have a crowbar or a dagger? Bashing this thing open is not the way to go if we want the contents in one piece. "

If so, Grigor offers a quick prayer to Olidamarra (cast Resilience) and tries to pry the chest open.

Strength check: [roll0]

Lycar

Entertainer13
2009-02-10, 05:52 PM
Spot check!

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-11, 10:01 AM
Lor is unable to find Xaod, but she does notice a few footprints in a patch of mud. It looks like Xaod may have had some cause to move.

[hr]
On the Moathouse Road: Planting 7, Late Morning
"Ah, let's go for it," Spugnoir says, handing Grigor his dagger, "I think this will be worth a ruined blade."

Grigor takes the dagger and uses it to help pry at the box's lid. As he does so, the potioner takes several steps back from Grigor and the box. It takes a surprisingly little effort on Grigor's part (( Yay, natural 20! )) to burst the lock. As the lid comes flying off, though, a strange green liquid comes spraying out of the box. Though prepared for something to happen, the cleric is unable to avoid taking the brunt of the blast (( 1d20+4=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1935368/) )), and is introduced to a new burning sensation as the acid engulfs him (( 15 acid damage )).

"Damnation! Are you all right?" Spugnoir rushes to Grigor's side.

Another_Poet
2009-02-11, 10:48 AM
I love how acid is always green in fantasy.

Entertainer13
2009-02-11, 11:50 AM
"Perhaps we should follow these..."

Lor proceeds to do just that... but will her companion?! :smallbiggrin:

Lycar
2009-02-11, 03:46 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor slips Spugnoir's dagger in just the right spot, shoves hard and the chest's lock is overcome.

"Ha! Olidamarra be blessed! Who needs lockpicks?"

But his moment of triumph is cut short when a spray of greenish liquid hits him and starts eating away at his clothes and, much worse, his flesh.

"Argh! Curse those traps!"

Intoning a quick prayer, a few gallons of water appear above Grigor's hands and arms, pouring down on him and washing away the foul liquid. But the damage is already done.

"Oh... the pain is quite... ubearable."

Pulling himself together, Grigor prays for deliverance to Olidamarra and the raw flesh on his hands and arms begins to turn back to a healthier colour.

Sacrifice Aid and CLW for [roll0] + [roll1] hitpoints.

"That's better. Now someone go look what we found already."

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-12, 09:07 AM

Lor finds out its not a very large patch of mud, ending just a few paces away and leaving her with no other easy to find and follow prints.

As she turns to head back to Pyro, a voice comes out from nearby bushes. "About time you showed up." The following rustles allow Lor and Pyro to pinpoint the exact source as Xaod emerges from the brush. "Looking for anything particular?" he yawns.

[hr]

"Is the trap gone?" Spugnoir asks Megiddo.

(( If Megiddo still has his detect magic up… ))

The elven wizard no longer detects the abjuration aura on the box. But the other auras from inside the box remain.

Another_Poet
2009-02-12, 09:48 AM
So was Xaod... pooping?

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-13, 02:18 AM
Megiddo will start taking the items out of the box, describing the aura on each item as he holdes them up to get a good look at them.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-13, 08:50 AM
Road to the Moathouse: Planting 7, Late Morning

(( What Xaod was up to shall remain unknown for the time being… ))

Inside the box are two firmly stoppered metal vials. One bears a conjuration aura, and the other one of transmustation. Both vials are identical save for an engraved rune on the stopper.

Also inside are two scroll cases. One holds scrolls of magic, as it is the source of the second transmuation aura as well as the enchantment aura. The other posesses no aura, but has the weight of a number of sheets of parchment within.

Entertainer13
2009-02-13, 11:56 AM
"Pyro and I wish to have this mission completed soon. Therefore, we propose you seek the information you need while we distract any guards. Will that fit into your needs?"

Yes, Lor is ignoring the possible pooping implications.

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-13, 03:48 PM
Megiddo will attempt to decipher the arcane scroll. (DC 20+slvl)

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Then he will turn his attention to the potions. (DC 25)

Spellcraft: [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]

If no-one else has gotten to it by then, he'll take a look at the parchments as well.

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 03:55 PM
I'm confused. Shhalahr said there are two auras from one of the scroll cases, so potentially there are two scrolls. Unless there was some PMing going on that I don't know about he hasn't specified whether any/either of them are arcane or divine.

So shouldn't you make two Scroll ID checks?

Also, Shhalahr, just to keep the pace going can we assume that is Meg doesn't ID something Spugnoir will take a try as well? (Although it looks like all checks were made unless there is indeed a second arcane scroll.)

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-13, 04:20 PM
(OOC) My bad. I don't think arcane/divine matters for spellcraft, though. (/OOC)
Spellcraft for second scroll: [roll0]

Frosty
2009-02-14, 12:16 AM
"Pyro and I wish to have this mission completed soon. Therefore, we propose you seek the information you need while we distract any guards. Will that fit into your needs?"

Yes, Lor is ignoring the possible pooping implications.

Pyro agrees with caution. "Yeah, but like, how do we umm...distract guards without putting ourselves at too much danger? I mean, we'd like have to draw them off one or two at a time, if possible. Gee, if only we knew what would get the total attention of a hobgoblin but wouldn't cause him to alert the rest of his buddies..."

Lycar
2009-02-15, 08:52 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor watches Megiddo do his thing.

"So what do you think this stuff is? Are those arcane or divine scrolls?"

Lycar

Entertainer13
2009-02-15, 03:05 PM
"Perhaps thrown rocks from a bush? Crude, but usually effective."

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-15, 03:59 PM

"Wait, what kind of distraction? What is it you're proposing? Are you talking about just getting a few guards? For what?"

[hr]
Moathouse Road: Planting 7, Late Morning

(( ProTip: IDing a potion is only a flat DC 25. Megiddo automatically makes it when taking 10. Even in character, he should probably know what he can automatically do by taking 10. ))

The scrollcase with the magical auras contains two rolls of parchment covered in magical runes. One contains a spell that charms an animal to act as a courier, delivering an item or message to a specified person (( animal messenger, CL 3 )). The other has a spell that can be used to magically sculpt and reshape unworked rock (( stone shape, CL 5 )). Both are written in runes that are only used in priestly magic (( divine scrolls )).

The potion with the conjuration aura is a potion of minor healing (( cure light wounds, CL 1 )), while the transmutation potion bestows the ability to breathe underwater (( water breathing, CL 5 )).

While Megiddo is examining the magical objects, Spugnoir looks at the other scroll case. Inside is a tightly rolled sheaf of parchment. The potioner studies the writings on it with wide eyes. After reading the first two pages, he turns to Megiddo and Grigor. "Hey! Look at this."

(( Contents of scroll below… ))
Mission Journal
Geynor Ton

Coldeven 27
I do not claim to understand fully the workings of the Great Church and the Masters of All-Consumption. Their alliance with these foul-smelling brutes is one that surprises me. I had assumed that we were the favored of the Dark Lord. Who are these scaly beastmen to tell us what to do? No matter. Soon we'll leave this accursed town and I won't be cooped up in this flourmill with the creature.

Growfest 2
Annihilation take you, Hommlet! I've not enjoyed my brief stay here. The food from the inn brought by Chatrilon was very good, however. Venison cured very nicely. What is that seasoning? Perhaps when we've slain all the people of this place, I can discover the secrets of its preparation. Great will be that day. Praise to the Elder Elemental Eye!

Growfest 7
Just as the Doomdreamers proclaimed, the Dark Obelisk is here, under a pool in a cave. We discovered that below the pool was a shaft with a false bottom, sealed for many years. Once penetrated, the pool drained down into a wondrous cave pulsating with the power of our revered Master of Masters. O great day!

Planting 1
Apparently, the water from the stream above was diverted into the shaft, to fill the pool and hide the cave from unworthy eyes! Truly the Dark God inspired such a wondrous plan, although it surely was carried out only after his unjust imprisonment. Yours shall be the name we proclaim, Dark Lord, once we have breathed new life into your most deserved worship. Once you are free all shall be set right, and those who deserve it most shall meet their cruel, cruel fate. Blessed destruction!

Planting 2
I marvel at the skill of our enlightened predecessors who constructed the Obelisk to honor and commune with the Dark Lord. Those must have been wonderful, heady days in which to live. Under the leadership of Master Thaque, we shall recover the relics of our lost heritage. Praise the Elder Elemental Eye!

Planting 3
Alas! Foul beast! What fate has befallen us? It must be a test sent to us from beyond—we must now go on without the leadership of Master Thaque, may his soul rest with the Dark God in the cold embrace of dissolution now and forevermore. Oh, wicked, cruel fate—I seek not your judgement in the claws of some dragon!

Planting 4
But Gungash is also dead. I hated him—he stole my lunch two days ago, and it was an excellent boiled egg and some of Tashi's delicious spicebread. Take his soul, Dark Lord, and crush it beneath your contemptuous heel.

Planting 6
It appears that we are trapped here for a time. Festrath cannot convince the gnolls to attack the beast together—not after what happened two days ago. I think the dragon laughs at us. A grand joke, beast, but one that you'll pay for with your very soul! Now Festrath hides with the Obelisk and the creature. We will continue our work here, but eventually we shall run out of food. Perhaps we shall have to live as the lovely ghouls do here. Or perhaps gnoll flesh can be flavored in some way so as to make it palatable.

[hr]
Moathouse Road II: Planting 7, Late Morning

Tell finishes up on the false trail, having recieved no trouble from anyone or anything.

Another_Poet
2009-02-16, 02:15 PM
Upon reaching the others and being caught up on details, Tell will explain (if Megiddo hasn't already) that Chatrilon was the treacherous ranger who turned on them last night in the castle.

"I knew he was no good," he comments.

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-16, 03:07 PM
"You are a potioner by trade, yes? Take these to add to your stock, Spugnoir. One is a minor curative, and the other allows one to breath underwater for a time. These scrolls are of divine magic, so they are of no interest to me. One is an animal messenger spell, the other, stone shape."

Another_Poet
2009-02-16, 03:24 PM
Megiddo can barely finish saying he has no interest in the scrolls before Tell's hand is on them. "Thanks," he says.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-17, 09:25 AM
Moathouse Road: Planting 7, Late Morning

"Uh, thanks," Spugnoir says when offered the potions. "Now, uh, what do you intend to do? I have to get back to my town. Look after my daughter. And someone should tell Captain Elmo about this."

Another_Poet
2009-02-17, 09:47 AM
Tell

"Right. If we show this letter to the captain then Meg and I won't be brought up on murder charges."

Tell stretches. "I'm happy to walk you back to town, but we'll have to be quick. I want to get back to that moathouse and finish off those things before they can reinforce their defences."

Lycar
2009-02-18, 04:23 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor reads the diary, first just with curiousity but the further he gets into it, with an expression of grim determination.

"Finish these things off? Indeed. Indeed we do. Especially that 'Geynor Ton' thing. You know... I've known my share of not-nice people in life. And I'm no saint myself, I assure you that. But this... thing? He has the audacity to claim enjoying a good meal and then blithely blathers on about killing the very people bringing such enjoyment into the world?"

Grigor takes a deep breth and all he can do is not to crumble the paper up in his fist.

"This guy is just.. too much. He's not just evil. He's much worse. He's also incredibly stupid evil."

He looks between his companions. "Let me tell you: i friggin hate undead. And having to face them does not make me happy. But if I have to hack through a score of ghouls to get at this ... Geynor Ton, I'll happily do it. This pathetic excuse for a human being is so going down!"

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-02-19, 12:56 PM
((Fast forward to town?

If so Tell would like to ask around about Chatrilon to make sure he's not a local hero or something before he reports to the guard that he and Meg killed the man. [roll0] ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-19, 09:36 PM
Hommlet: Planting 7, Late Evening

It has been dark for several hours before the group reaches Hommlet. Along the way back, Spugnoir thanks Tell, Grigor, and Megiddo for helping him out, but does not otherwise make much of an attempt at initiating conversation. Left to his own, his thoughts seem to be focused elsewhere.

Upon reaching the village, Spugnoir says, "Elmo usually has his breakfast at the Inn of the Welcome Wench. We can talk to him there when he's done tommorrow morning. How does that sound?"

Another_Poet
2009-02-19, 10:40 PM
"Fine," Tell says. By his voice, his mind is wandering somewhere else.

He'll go to the tavern for food and camaraderie, mostly keeping to himself but listening to all the conversations around him. He asks a few folks what they know about Chatrilon, and does not remind anyone that he recently left town with the man. (This is where my 8 on gather info comes in.)

After that he has a few beers and talks with Megiddo in a hushed tone, reminiscing about their travels and asking the elf what his hopes are for the rest of their trip. He even talks to Grigor a bit.

When it gets late he'll go and sleep outdoors on the temple grounds again, with all the same precautions as last time, but this time he'll go around to the back so he cannot be seen by passersby.

((ready for morning if others are))

Frosty
2009-02-20, 03:19 AM
"Wait, what kind of distraction? What is it you're proposing? Are you talking about just getting a few guards? For what?"

Pyro explains the best she can. "Well like, we totally failed to convince the two prisoners to let us in to take a look around, so we have to do the whole sneaky thing now. Lor and I are contem...plating different ways to distract the patrols and guard, so you could like, totally get inside and take a look around and see if there are any elder evils afoot! You're better at recognizing elder evils than I am, so you should go. Lor and I just need to figure out what'll distract the guards and lure them outta the way!"

Entertainer13
2009-02-20, 11:03 AM
Lor, like, totally nods.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-20, 11:42 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil: Planting 8, Late Morning

"You really… uh, really think you can get the… entire warband to abandon their stronghold?" Xaod asks, stifling exhausted yawns.

[hr]
Hommlet: Planting 7, Late Evening

(( Do Grigor or Megiddo have anything they want to do this evening before we advance? ))